Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2017, 14:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs

Even XUV is getting ready with updated power.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...form=hootsuite
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 14:53   #17
BHPian

Saw a similarly camouflaged Scorpio last month near Bommasandra Hosur Road in Bangalore speeding away towards Hosur. Whole of the bonnet area and the rear door with both the bumpers were camouflaged.

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-imag1615.jpg

PS: Excuse the bad quality pic as could only manage this.

Last edited by vinayrathore : 30th May 2017 at 14:55. Reason: Typo
vinayrathore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 15:34   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Did anyone hear Mahindra talking about doing something to make the body shell safer?
Mahindra puts outs its Focus areas! M&M's auto business confirms refreshed Scorpio, XUV5OO& KUV1OO coming this year.

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-dbepvhlxyaak4nn.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th May 2017 at 15:37.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 15:59   #19
BHPian

I think mahindra should stop giving face lifts to the Scorpio and work on the new generation either.

Scorpio has lived a long life in the same shell and with every face lift that shell is getting uglier. IMO Mahindra should launch a new generation very soon or kill the product.

With regards,
Shreyas Kumar Agarwal
Shreyas Agarwal is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 16:53   #20
BANNED

Source: https://motoroctane.com/features-sto...june-exclusive

Seems like it will come with dual projector head lamps. Or, is it already available?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-mahindrascorpio2017750x430.jpg  

romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 17:46   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I once told the Mahindra management that they need an all-new Scorpio. Pat came the cheeky reply "It's already here - we call it the XUV500" !

Seriously, the Scorpio feels darn outdated and it is so cramped for an SUV as big on the outside. But well, Mahindra is doing an 'Alto' here. It's a consistent 4,000 units / month seller which is no small feat considering its age and 10 - 15 lakh price. The Scorpio has an enormous following & Mahindra is only milking it till it lasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasKinger View Post
I hope they take a leaf out of TUV's books and improve the interior plastics.
Truly. Give the TUV300 the 2.2L diesel and it'll murder the Scorpio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
I was hoping to see an all new generation of the Scorpio, new chassis
The 2014 Scorpio update brought with it an all-new chassis under the same old body:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The 2014 Mahindra Scorpio, codenamed as the W105, is based on a new generation platform. This is an all-new modular chassis that can be deployed for UVs of varying lengths and tracks (e.g. next-gen Quanto & Bolero). The company claims that the hydroformed chassis is twice as stiff as the older Scorpio's and is safer as well. The front & rear axles are new, as are some suspension bits, while the gearbox is lifted from the updated Xylo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The newer Scorpios are becoming more and more ugly to look at. The present model is the ugliest of all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Yet another facelift Every version somehow ends up looking worse than the earlier ones
I like the front end of the new Scorpio, but that's about it. The rear is g-a-r-i-s-h.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 07:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio got a lot of issues. Some main ones are:

1) Both ride and handling is really poor.
2) And despite the bulk, its actually quite cramped on the inside.
3) Fit and finish is nothing great for the price you pay.
4) But the biggest of them is lack of safety. It was appalling to see the Mahindra fold up like a Kwid in the NCAP testing.

Quite an irony when Scorpio is what Google throws up if one were to search for 'mighty muscular'. And it is anything but that!

The fact is you are much safer in a humble Polo, Punto or Liva out on the highway.

So, hopefully Mahindra will spend some money on safety over the razzmatazz with new tooth, lights and chrome in the new version.
deetjohn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 11:16   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I see a lot of folks cribbing about M&M keeping the lights on for Scorpio. I also see a lot of folks cribbing how Toyota increases the prices, almost by 40-50% in a matter of 5-6 years.

Credit where its due, at least M&M is trying to make it modern, keep it relevant. Look at what Force motors expects 12 lakhs for.

Remember, these are for profit organisations. Unless people vote it out of favor by not buying, or the Govt. mandates some tests it can't pass, it will stay. We might not like it, but nothing much we can do about it. Or maybe, we can educate and convince our near and dear ones to abandon/ignore it for a safer, better car, if they come for advice.

Look at the Bolero, it is much much older than the Scorpio and is still getting updates. And continues to sell in high numbers.
Dry Ice is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 12:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

1) Both ride and handling is really poor.
2) And despite the bulk, its actually quite cramped on the inside.
3) Fit and finish is nothing great for the price you pay.
4) But the biggest of them is lack of safety. It was appalling to see the Mahindra fold up like a Kwid in the NCAP testing.

Quite an irony when Scorpio is what Google throws up if one were to search for 'mighty muscular'. And it is anything but that!

The fact is you are much safer in a humble Polo, Punto or Liva out on the highway.

So, hopefully, Mahindra will spend some money on safety over the razzmatazz with new tooth, lights and chrome in the new version.
Spacing is awful in the Scorpio and if anything they need to rework the interior spacing. The second most important thing is fixing the extremely poor jittery and floating sensations on the ride.

Nonetheless, a power bump will certainly help. Considering that XUV is also moving up the ladder in terms of performance, this is good news.
Old 31st May 2017, 14:08   #25
BHPian

I was wondering what other safe SUVs are there in the 15 lacs range?

Duster is surely out of the equation and with it I think Terrano as well.
Safari hasn't been tested yet by the NCAP.
Creta is not quite an SUV although it's supposedly safer.

XUV500 seems to be the only safe bet.
Old 31st May 2017, 17:12   #26
BHPian

Pray whats the difference between XUV500 and Creta for the former to be called an SUV ? Looks ?
chandras1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 19:34   #27
Team-BHP Support

I have the W105, that is the new gen Scorpio S10 4X4 as my daily drive. Have managed 44,5xx kms as of now. While, I would love to get a Jap SUV as my next upgrade, here is what I want for the upcoming Scorpio.

# For on road usage, the Scorpio 4WD variant has decent ride and handling, but suspension travel for off road is limited. The Scorpio keeps lifting its front wheel in severe chassis bender situations. It needs further fine tuning of suspension for a balance between off road situations and on road situations.

# Braking efficiency can further be improved.

# More responsive touch screen or physical buttons with screen for navigation.

# Interiors, the door insides, plastic quality is horrible and simply can't justify a car having 17L price tag.

# Storage space. Simply inadequate.

# 6th gear or taller 5th. 2,000 revs @ genuine 100kmph or further. The low end is awesome as is the ability to pull to 4,000 revs and pull further, but need more shove.

# LED headlamps.

# Better space management.

Mahindra needs to see Storme's interiors, brakes and space and then decide its update.

Ownership of the Scorpio has been flawless with typical Mahindra quirks because of less stringent QC.

Almost similar thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-launches.html
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 11:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

Polo, Punto or Liva may be safer when you hit an unmovable object head on as they do in a crash test. But in Indian real life scenarios a small hatch will go under something like a lorry completely defeating all the crumple zones with the hit being taken by the A pillars. Scorpio would fare better in such scenarios. Also if there is a head on collision between a scorpio and a smaller vehicle like a hatchback, the occupants in the hatch back occupants will have more injury due to higher specific impulse to the hatch occupants due to lower mass of the hatch. One may argue that a hatch would have better handling than a scorpio and less likely to topple, get into an accident scenario etc. But overall a well driven Scorpio will be safer than a hatch in real life Indian driving conditions.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 12:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Polo, Punto or Liva may be safer when you hit an unmovable object head on as they do in a crash test. But in Indian real life scenarios a small hatch will go under something like a lorry completely defeating all the crumple zones with the hit being taken by the A pillars. Scorpio would fare better in such scenarios.
Any vehicle going under a bus, truck or a culvert stand no chance if the speeds are high. We have seen cases where even occupants of a mighty S class failed to survive an incident like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Also if there is a head on collision between a scorpio and a smaller vehicle like a hatchback, the occupants in the hatch back occupants will have more injury due to higher specific impulse to the hatch occupants due to lower mass of the hatch.
I am afraid that's not how it works. A Formula 1 car is one of the safest things to have an accident in. And the speeds and G forces generated in the crash is much higher. But it weighs just around 700 Kg. Crash worthiness of a vehicle and its capability to protect the occupants is based on its engineering and build - crumble zones, strength of its structure etc.

I think I get where you are going with this. A 4 star rated (safety wise) Scorpio maybe better off than a 4 star rated Polo out on the roads. But in the current state, I would much rather be in a Polo compared to that tin foil 0 star Scorpio. Mahindra ought to work on it big time!
deetjohn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 22:51   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
Pray whats the difference between XUV500 and Creta for the former to be called an SUV ? Looks ?
The one add-on in the XUV & the Duster, is the AWD option that they offer - which obviously is the raison d'etre (in my view) for calling them SUVs. In all other respects, all the examples mentioned (including the fwd XUV & Duster) are just large hatches on stilts.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed