Team-BHP - Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/187312-mahindra-scorpio-facelift-spotted-testing-edit-launched-rs-9-97-lakhs.html)

Mod Note: Our Scorpio Facelift Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Mahindra appears to be working on a mid-life facelift of the Scorpio SUV. A mildly camouflaged test mule of the updated model has been spotted testing in Karnataka.

The spotted model has camouflaged front and rear ends, indicating that most of the cosmetic changes will be made around these areas. The front and rear bumpers, grille, headlights and tail lights are expected to get some tweaks. Meanwhile, the side profile appears likely to remain identical to that of the current model.

Media reports are also pointing towards some tweaks to the powertrain of the SUV. According to speculations, the current 2.2-litre, four-cylinder mHawk powerplant will be retuned to develop around 138 BHP - 20 BHP more than the current model. Torque figures are also expected to be altered.

Source: Autocar India

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-scorpio1.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-scorpio2.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Being an ardent fan of the mighty, muscular Scorpio, this news excites me. It is good to see that Mahindra still have confidence in their first 'modern UV'.:)
I personally didn't like the rear design of the current model. Hope the new one will have a rear end which is more pleasing to the eye.

I spotted the same car, in a convoy of test cars including XUV-500 and few Scorpio's, few weeks back between Ooty and Coimbatore.

I notice integrated turn signals on the side view mirrors. I hope they take a leaf out of TUV's books and improve the interior plastics. A car in this segment and at this price point deserves a lot more. And while they're at it, I hope they fix the ergonomic flaws and work on the practicality of the cabin that was lost with the 2014 facelift.

On another note, they still haven't removed the awful handle-like black plastic cladding above the rear tail lamp. :deadhorse

While a facelift is good to sustain the momentum, I hope Mahindra is working on the next-gen Scorpio to take on the next-gen Safari, Duster and the facelifted Creta. We have been seeing the same shape and the awful rain gutters since 2002.

I was hoping to see an all new generation of the Scorpio, new chassis and everything. This one even though they call it a new generation with every other update; they are just facelifts and engineering tweaks here and there. Mahindra, how many times can you facelift the same model?

I have purchased Scorpio last year, just completed one year now. I will feel the pain of new model. But Seriously, I was expecting a brand new built Scorpio from scratch - It's about time Mahindra does that

Quote:

Originally Posted by TejasKinger (Post 4207355)
I hope they take a leaf out of TUV's books and improve the interior plastics. A car in this segment and at this price point deserves a lot more.

I really don't mind the rain gutters or the exterior. I loathe the interior plastics and just the general dashboard though. If they just upgrade the dashboard, the interior plastics and give it a bit more highway manners, this can definitely last another 3-5 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vishid (Post 4207288)
Being an ardent fan of the mighty, muscular Scorpio, this news excites me. It is good to see that Mahindra still have confidence in their first 'modern UV'.:)
I personally didn't like the rear design of the current model. Hope the new one will have a rear end which is more pleasing to the eye.

Plus one to that. Hope they get some decent looking tail lights this time & not ones which seem like they are sourced from Mumbai's Crawford market :D

What Scorpio facelift now after 15 years ? It has started losing its face so even God cannot lift it ! The newer Scorpios are becoming more and more ugly to look at. The present model is the ugliest of all. More so, with the black rear tailgate in the earliest made ones, of the current so called "refreshed" version.

Mahindra designing is losing its sheen after they acquired one of the best design houses, Pininfarina. They have also set up a R & D Lab near Chennai lately. This R & D lab has the capability to design any model from the scratch.

With such developments and added armoury, we get the KUV and other ugly whatever UV's (n UV's).

My sympathies !

Maybe new front end to meet upcoming safety regulations.

Oh God, another facelift :Shockked:

Its high time the Scorpio should be given an honourable retirement.

Remember the Global NCAP test? Did anyone hear Mahindra talking about doing something to make the body shell safer?

Yet another facelift :eek: Every version somehow ends up looking worse than the earlier ones, I hope this does not carry the older trademark Mahindra styling touches. Scorpio is just too flawed a car for year 2017 :deadhorse and it does not come cheap either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dZired (Post 4207267)
Media reports are also pointing towards some tweaks to the powertrain of the SUV. According to speculations, the current 2.2-litre, four-cylinder mHawk powerplant will be retuned to develop around 138 BHP - 20 BHP more than the current model. Torque figures are also expected to be altered.

The Scorpio deserves the same state of tune as XUV-500 along with six gears, not only the low end is far superior but power all throughout the rev range is better, even the anti stall is better tuned.

Compared to its chief competitor the Storme 400, Scorpio feels weak, we experienced this firsthand last weekend while off roading, there was a long sandy climb, Storme was able to drive uphill comfortably in 3rd Low with some grunt to spare, while Scorpio(even with RD light tuning box) and V-Cross(with Racechip tuning box) were running out of breath and eventually stalling in same gear, and had to use one gear shorter to climb same place. Even for highway use the situation is same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dZired (Post 4207267)
Mahindra appears to be working on a mid-life facelift of the Scorpio SUV. A mildly camouflaged test mule of the updated model has been spotted testing in Karnataka.

Background : I belong to Palwal District in Haryana and Mahindra has one of its Manufacturing plant here which operates under the name of Defence Land Systems (subsidiary of M&M)
Its sheer luck that I noticed a "kind of Scorpio" couple of days back while returning from Faridabad and I saw this thread today. First thing that stuck my mind when I saw the vehicle was Anand Mahindra and the Scorpio Auto incident, so I closed in to have a good look at the vehicle.
Attaching pictures of the vehicle for reference. I was driving my Endy at that time so could not click good quality pictures, but from what I could observe the dimensions of this new vehicle "RAKSHAK+" appeared to be same as that of Scorpio. It can be concluded that Mahindra is working on next gen Scorpio at the same time they do not want their present manufacturing facilities to go waste so they are developing a Defence vehicle based on present gen Scorpio.

The Scorpio still sells average of 4k units per month which is an amazing achievement on the face of competition from compact SUVs and similar priced sedans. Hence, its logical that M&M continue to milk this platform with regular updates. I can't recall any other SUV that sells so many units ( not taking into account Bolero ).

I hope the refresh gives it a more understated look than the bling that the new model has acquired.

Quote:

Originally Posted by narayan (Post 4207815)
The Scorpio still sells average of 4k units per month which is an amazing achievement on the face of competition from compact SUVs and similar priced sedans. Hence, its logical that M&M continue to milk this platform with regular updates. I can't recall any other SUV that sells so many units ( not taking into account Bolero ).

I hope the refresh gives it a more understated look than the bling that the new model has acquired.

This is the key for what is going on here. They are following the basic "don't fix it if it isn't broken" principal, and they want to milk the most out of it till they spend more money on developing an all new vehicle. The problem is that the Indian market accepts this, and the age old model still sells in huge quantities.