Team-BHP - Maruti Ciaz spotted testing with some updates
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Maruti Ciaz spotted testing with some updates (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/187344-maruti-ciaz-spotted-testing-some-updates.html)

Thank you to Inderdeep Singh for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

A couple of test mules of the Maruti Ciaz with red number plates have been spotted testing in Delhi-NCR. The black coloured mules appear to be based on the mid-level Zeta trim, owing to the presence of alloy wheels and a 2-DIN music system. Moreover, the thick chrome strip above the rear number plate housing is missing, similar to what is seen on the Ciaz Zeta. The DDiS badge on the side fender and SHVS tag on the boot lid are missing from the two cars, suggesting that these are probably the petrol versions.

While the overall design is similar to that of the current model, some elements like the mesh pattern on the rear bumper that houses the reflectors has been covered in black tape. Additionally, the spotter claims that the front fog lamps of the two models were hidden with similar tapes. There is thus a possibility of some changes being made around these areas, including the presence of DRLs around the fog lamps.

The biggest change, however, is on the inside. The instrument cluster appears to be an all-new unit, with the two pods getting a chrome border. The speedometer and tachometer needles are also new, with the pivot area adorning a chrome boundary. Additionally, the MID screen in the centre is surely a size larger than what is currently found on the Ciaz. Wooden trims on the dashboard have been masked under black covers, though the overall cabin still retains the dual tone black and beige layout.

It is hard to tell whether the spotted cars have any mechanical changes. However, the spotter claims to have seen a new automatic gear knob in the vehicles. There have been speculations earlier that Maruti might introduce more powerful engines in the Ciaz in order to compete against its arch rival - the Honda City.

Maruti Ciaz spotted testing with some updates-1.jpg

Maruti Ciaz spotted testing with some updates-2.jpg

Maruti Ciaz spotted testing with some updates-3.jpg

Maruti Ciaz spotted testing with some updates-4.jpg

Maruti Ciaz spotted testing with some updates-5.jpg

Maruti Ciaz spotted testing with some updates-6.jpg

Maruti Ciaz spotted testing with some updates-7.jpg

Maruti Ciaz spotted testing with some updates-8.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Here's my wishlist for the Ciaz facelift: A 1.6L DDiS oil burner for the diesel trim, a larger heart - maybe Boosterjet for the petrol trim, A proper CVT with paddle shifters and a six-airbag safety package. That apart, I think the Ciaz is a fairly competent car.

The MID looks much bigger and colourful when compared to the current Ciaz.

Or is it a smartphone which has been placed in that position? :confused: Even the dials look different than the current Ciaz. Perhaps they are planning to change the entire cluster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYP (Post 4207938)
The MID looks much bigger and colourful when compared to the current Ciaz.

Or is it a smartphone which has been placed in that position? :confused:

That looks like it's the MID. A smartphone wouldn't sit so flush with the rest of the cluster; but I could be wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porcupine (Post 4207945)
That looks like it's the MID. A smartphone wouldn't sit so flush with the rest of the cluster; but I could be wrong.

Hmm. I agree. However, the sheer length of the display got me thinking if this was a smartphone being used to somehow monitor some parameters. From the first impression, this new MID(and the instrument cluster) look much better than the plain jane ones on the present Ciaz.

My assumption is, TURBO PETROL engine is being tested with CVT transmission [If AT gearshift has been spotted]

Since the current Turbo Petrol engine is imported, in order to localize the engine, MSIL would require huge volumes.
Hence part of the volume gaining strategy, seems like Maruti will introduce Ciaz with Turbo.

While introduction of Turbo in Dzire has been ruled out, Maruti has in the past introduced the RS [Rally Sport] variant of the Ciaz

I think they are adding DRLs and chrome detailing for the bumper vents in the front and back like the Chinese Alivio.

I hope they don't add the chrome hockey stick on the side though!

Also, the MID seems to be the full-color unit like the one found on the Baleno.

Maruti Ciaz spotted testing with some updates-20140420031410_alivio05.jpg

Maruti Ciaz spotted testing with some updates-marutisuzukialiviorear.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by TejasKinger (Post 4207888)
Here's my wishlist for the Ciaz facelift: A 1.6L DDiS oil burner for the diesel trim, a larger heart - maybe Boosterjet for the petrol trim, A proper CVT with paddle shifters and a six-airbag safety package. That apart, I think the Ciaz is a fairly competent car.

Exactly the reasons why Verna beats Ciaz for me! Also, add cruise control to the list as Maruti anyways provides that in other cars and it will have everything in features and safety for that price point!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shimoo (Post 4207985)
I think they are adding DRLs and chrome detailing for the bumper vents in the front and back like the Chinese Alivio.

I hope they don't add the chrome hockey stick on the side though!

Also, the MID seems to be the full-color unit like the one found on the Baleno.

Attachment 1644101

Attachment 1644102

+1 on the MID. I think that would be a nice addition.
While, we may not be big fans of the chrome "hockey stick", MSIL knows the pulse of the market like no one else, so there's a good chance the chrome "hockey stick" will make it.

Whatever Maruti is doing with the Ciaz, it is terrible timing!

This should have coincided with Ciaz's move to Nexa. That way, customers would at least feel that the Nexa Ciaz is an upgrade/update over the regular Ciaz. And not the same Ciaz being pricier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 4208085)
Whatever Maruti is doing with the Ciaz, it is terrible timing!

This should have coincided with Ciaz's move to Nexa. That way, customers would at least feel that the Nexa Ciaz is an upgrade/update over the regular Ciaz. And not the same Ciaz being pricier.

I believe they did it in a hurry because of the new DZire, which gets much better features now at a lower price point, which would have taken many customers from the Ciaz. Maruti did a smart move moving it to NEXA.

Now comes the real task of making it worthy of the NEXA badge, and taking the facelift City head on. Expecting the features from the DZire to be present in the Ciaz facelift as well. LED headlamps, for one.

It seems like an awkward timing considering there are talks of S-cross facelift by Diwali. And that is a major facelift. Surely Maruti isn't looking to facelift its entire Nexa lineup in 1 year itself...or is it?

Ciaz was always an 80% ride of a City/Verna/Vento at 80% of the cost of the latter. This has been a significant differentiator along with a long list of creature comforts it offered at this cost creating a perception that the ride quality is 90% to 100%. Their segment is a price conscious family. Suzuki doesn't want Ciaz to be spoken in the same breath as the other cars when it comes to price. The moment it offers a Boosterjet with CVT or a 1.6 DDiS, it will be. Nonetheless, it then starts offering a 95% ride at 100% of cost when compared to other cars; but you are switching segments. That is dangerous.

I would say, don't fix something that ain't broke. Ciaz is selling 5000+ each month - let it continue to run; perhaps add an occasional bell or a whistle.

Maruti obviously isn't satisfied with the current volumes of Ciaz. They can and will move much higher with better petrol engine and a good automatic option. That along with some "bells and whistles " will take the volume closer to five digits. Pity the new Verna and Vento if it happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TejasKinger (Post 4207888)

My wishlist is 1.6L DDIS + 1.4 Boosterjet. Knowing Maruti if only wishes were BHPs :D

I'd be happy with a modern version of the 1.6 NA Petrol that powered the SX4 as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIAT3031 (Post 4207976)
Maruti has in the past introduced the RS [Rally Sport] variant of the Ciaz

If they don't want to rock the boat, they could re-launch the Ciaz RS, but with Boosterjet and 1.6L diesel. They have already set a precedent with the Baleno RS, unlike the earlier sticker jobs. This could take the idea ahead.