Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:32   #661
BHPian
 
prithm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MAA - HYD
Posts: 669
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Hi All,

We are planning to go for W11 (O) AWD Manual within a month and have few topics that I need your help with.

We are upgrading to this HUGE family SUV after driving around in our India's middle class sedan DZire. So, all figures are new and intimidating.

For the new XUV 500 (2018),

1. They are charging incidental charges. May I know from new owners if they are aware of it ? I think this is new word jumble for Handling charges.

2. Should I go for Insurance outside M&M or should I go with their insurance plan as well as their Shield Warranty ?

3. We already have few additions (exterior and interior) in mind and want to get it done from factory before delivery or should we get the vanilla version first and then go for the bells and whistles ?

4. I prefer everything stock and don't want to mess around much with customs, but is there anything that you might advice to change post delivery (like tyres, lights etc.) which might help us in long run ? It will help us plan accordingly for finance too.

All inputs will be guidance for me since we are stepping into a zone which is new to us.

thanks.
prithm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:54   #662
BHPian
 
jesrani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 278
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Hi All,

We are planning to go for W11 (O) AWD Manual within a month and have few topics that I need your help with.

We are upgrading to this HUGE family SUV after driving around in our India's middle class sedan DZire. So, all figures are new and intimidating.

For the new XUV 500 (2018),

1. They are charging incidental charges. May I know from new owners if they are aware of it ? I think this is new word jumble for Handling charges.

2. Should I go for Insurance outside M&M or should I go with their insurance plan as well as their Shield Warranty ?

3. We already have few additions (exterior and interior) in mind and want to get it done from factory before delivery or should we get the vanilla version first and then go for the bells and whistles ?

4. I prefer everything stock and don't want to mess around much with customs, but is there anything that you might advice to change post delivery (like tyres, lights etc.) which might help us in long run ? It will help us plan accordingly for finance too.

All inputs will be guidance for me since we are stepping into a zone which is new to us.

thanks.
1. Probably
2. I was quoted about 84k for insurance. When I insisted to take from outside, they immediately brought it down to 42k, which would be similar to getting from outside. So you can negotiate hard or insist on taking own insurance.
3. I now prefer not to tamper with anything. I took the W11 (O) AT FWD for this reason. Would suggest you to go for AT AWD instead of manual.

Do take test drives of different versions including AT. You may not get AWD for TD though. Take number of test drives before you decide.

All the best.
jesrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:59   #663
BHPian
 
mtnrajdeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 734
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
1. They are charging incidental charges. May I know from new owners if they are aware of it ? I think this is new word jumble for Handling charges.

2. Should I go for Insurance outside M&M or should I go with their insurance plan as well as their Shield Warranty ?

3. We already have few additions (exterior and interior) in mind and want to get it done from factory before delivery or should we get the vanilla version first and then go for the bells and whistles ?

4. I prefer everything stock and don't want to mess around much with customs, but is there anything that you might advice to change post delivery (like tyres, lights etc.) which might help us in long run ? It will help us plan accordingly for finance too.
1. You can try negotiating the incidental charges or ask for free accessories for that amount.
2. You should find out the insurance cost outside and ask Mahindra to match it. They agreed to this rather easily if you dont disclose your NCB details. I later moved my 50% NCB and got a refund. Take the maximum possible shield extended warranty and RSA.
3. Getting accessories depends on what needs to be connected. For audio, better to choose a reputed audio installer in your city. If its just a bolt on fit from the genuine accessories, dealers would be better.
4. I kept the vehicle stock and 2 years on, dont see any reason I should have opted for something else
Hope this helps
mtnrajdeep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 11:16   #664
BHPian
 
prithm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MAA - HYD
Posts: 669
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Thanks jesrani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
2. I was quoted about 84k for insurance. When I insisted to take from outside, they immediately brought it down to 42k, which would be similar to getting from outside. So you can negotiate hard or insist on taking own insurance.
This is eye opening. Will try to get this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
3. I now prefer not to tamper with anything. I took the W11 (O) AT FWD for this reason. Would suggest you to go for AT AWD instead of manual.
I am worried about the running cost for AT and little concerned about AT worthiness for a such massive vehicle. Our trips will mostly on highways and hills for holidays. In Hyd, AT vehicles have a separate M&M garage outside the city for servicing. These type of icing on cake is making us go for traditional manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Do take test drives of different versions including AT. You may not get AWD for TD though. Take number of test drives before you decide.
All the best.
Thanks Jesrani. May I know, what was your waiting period ?

Heard top end versions have longer waiting period especially AWD options. Is this true ?

Thanks mtnrajdeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
1. You can try negotiating the incidental charges or ask for free accessories for that amount.
I guess they might remove the "Incidental Charges", if I insist, but not sure how they will give me goodies for the same amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
3. Getting accessories depends on what needs to be connected. For audio, better to choose a reputed audio installer in your city. If its just a bolt on fit from the genuine accessories, dealers would be better.
4. I kept the vehicle stock and 2 years on, dont see any reason I should have opted for something else
Hope this helps
This is very reassuring. I am taking the options they have advertised in their SYOUV. Features like Chrome, Roofrail, Navigation etc.

Last edited by prithm : 23rd August 2018 at 11:38. Reason: multi-quote
prithm is offline  
Old 23rd August 2018, 11:50   #665
BHPian
 
jesrani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 278
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Thanks jesrani.

I am worried about the running cost for AT and little concerned about AT worthiness for a such massive vehicle. Our trips will mostly on highways and hills for holidays. In Hyd, AT vehicles have a separate M&M garage outside the city for servicing. These type of icing on cake is making us go for traditional manual.

Thanks Jesrani. May I know, what was your waiting period ?

Heard top end versions have longer waiting period especially AWD options. Is this true ?
I had mentioned in earlier post that I recently went to top of a hill, 2800 feet, through 13kms of ghats. Never felt the vehicle struggling. Was very comfortable. Did not feel the need for manual intervention. However the people who have used the car for more number of years can give a better idea of the handling on hills, as well as advice on maintenance part of AT. Would be interesting to know the long term reliability.
I got the car in 15 to 20 days after booking.
The dealers try to dissuade from booking AWD, or so I have read in previous posts, as the AWD vehicle is made only if there is a booking and if you later cancel the booking, they are left with one and demand is not so high. So they would discourage.
jesrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 14:13   #666
BHPian
 
prithm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MAA - HYD
Posts: 669
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
I got the car in 15 to 20 days after booking.
The dealers try to dissuade from booking AWD, or so I have read in previous posts, as the AWD vehicle is made only if there is a booking and if you later cancel the booking, they are left with one and demand is not so high. So they would discourage.
How recent was your XUV according to VIN Jesrani ?

Though we have specific need for AWD due to our upgrade intentions, I guess we can also see if FWD will be suitable if the stock is recent.

Last edited by prithm : 23rd August 2018 at 14:13. Reason: spelling
prithm is offline  
Old 23rd August 2018, 15:04   #667
BHPian
 
jesrani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 278
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
How recent was your XUV according to VIN Jesrani ?

Though we have specific need for AWD due to our upgrade intentions, I guess we can also see if FWD will be suitable if the stock is recent.
I booked in June and got June manufactured car only as per VIN. Selected color was Mystic Copper which was not in stock with dealer.
jesrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 05:24   #668
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bangaluru
Posts: 94
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
I had mentioned in earlier post that I recently went to top of a hill, 2800 feet, through 13kms of ghats. Never felt the vehicle struggling. Was very comfortable. Did not feel the need for manual intervention. However the people who have used the car for more number of years can give a better idea of the handling on hills, as well as advice on maintenance part of AT. Would be interesting to know the long term reliability.
Done 3000+km on the W11 AWD AT. Had a W8 AWD MT earlier. The AT is a breeze in city traffic as well as on highways, and you do get the engine power when you need it. On highways with a slight upward gradient I have at times seen some knocking of the engine, but that is easily taken care of by adjusting the throttle.

Overall, very satisfied with the decision to go with AT.
arao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2018, 09:03   #669
BHPian
 
tirthankard77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 68
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post


I am worried about the running cost for AT and little concerned about AT worthiness for a such massive vehicle. Our trips will mostly on highways and hills for holidays. In Hyd, AT vehicles have a separate M&M garage outside the city for servicing. These type of icing on cake is making us go for traditional manual.
.
I had a W6 AT from July 16 for 18 months and drove it for 36000 km. 85% of it was on highway, i.e. Bangalore to Goa, Mumbai, Hyderabad etc and it's was much better than my W4 which was manual and was used pretty much in the same route. As for maintenance cost, the milage I got was .5 km less than the manual overall.

Last edited by tirthankard77 : 25th August 2018 at 09:04.
tirthankard77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 08:19   #670
BHPian
 
prithm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MAA - HYD
Posts: 669
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arao View Post
On highways with a slight upward gradient I have at times seen some knocking of the engine, but that is easily taken care of by adjusting the throttle.
Have you tried any steep gradient with fully laden vehicle ? Did you observe any struggle during up hill climbs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirthankard77 View Post
As for maintenance cost, the milage I got was .5 km less than the manual overall.
One follow up question though, how is the engine response during quick overtake on highways especially ones with the long trailers which is bound to go for abort and then quick catch up ? I observed hiccup in TUV 300 of my friend and it was not that reassuring like manual since we know what gear ratio will help us move vehicle quickly.
prithm is offline  
Old 26th August 2018, 09:31   #671
BHPian
 
tirthankard77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 68
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
One follow up question though, how is the engine response during quick overtake on highways especially ones with the long trailers which is bound to go for abort and then quick catch up ? I observed hiccup in TUV 300 of my friend and it was not that reassuring like manual since we know what gear ratio will help us move vehicle quickly.
It's a breeze after some practice. You need to get used to the pressure you need to put on the accelerator. Also, on a saparate note TUV is AMT and XUV is a tourque converter. The behaviour is totally different. I have curnched a lot of Highway kilometres and never once had a scare like you mentioned. When the accelerator is more than half pressed, the car has more than enough acceleration. Hope the this helps.
tirthankard77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 16:15   #672
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bangaluru
Posts: 94
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Have you tried any steep gradient with fully laden vehicle ? Did you observe any struggle during up hill climbs ?

One follow up question though, how is the engine response during quick overtake on highways especially ones with the long trailers which is bound to go for abort and then quick catch up ? .
No issues at all on steep gradients, or while overtaking. There is adequate power and good acceleration.

Faced another issue with the GPS. During a recent 3-day trip the map display froze twice. There was no response from the touch screen, and the usual navigation buttons were also missing. Switching off and restarting did not help, and had to rely on Google maps on the iPhone then. After a longish break, eg. for meals etc, the GPS map function came back to normal.
arao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 17:01   #673
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,258
Thanked: 2,220 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Have you tried any steep gradient with fully laden vehicle ? Did you observe any struggle during up hill climbs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirthankard77 View Post
The behaviour is totally different.
Yes, 'torque converters' are different as they can instantly multiply the 'torque' which gives an advantage during the climbs.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 19:22   #674
BHPian
 
Raghav_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 150
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

My XUV500 W11 AWD AT went for 5000km service today.

It was a regular checkup with change of Engine oil, Oil filter & Transmission Oil. Total bill was 2900 odd including taxes.

Not sure if it's placebo, but shift from 2nd to 3rd gear doesn't feel as 'strained' as before. Will review after driving a bit more.
Raghav_K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 19:41   #675
BHPian
 
GKR9900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kerala
Posts: 398
Thanked: 932 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post

Not sure if it's placebo, but shift from 2nd to 3rd gear doesn't feel as 'strained' as before. Will review after driving a bit more.
My W7 AT went for the 5000 kms service last week. I felt the same too post service. The unnecessary rev climb while shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear is reduced now. I refrained from posting it here cos I thought it would be just my imagination at work. But it has been 200 kms since the service and the difference is evident. Can someone explain why this might be so?
GKR9900 is online now   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks