Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2018, 17:51   #721
BHPian
 
drchernish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: kanpur
Posts: 426
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

Has anyone installed stand alone screens for rear seat entertainment? Any recommendations? Don't want to go for in headrest ones. Booked a W11 (O) at and the waiting has started

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th December 2018 at 15:41. Reason: Adding a space. Also, please only use Team-BHP's emoticons. Thanks
drchernish is offline  
Old 26th December 2018, 15:10   #722
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,971
Thanked: 2,189 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

A December 2018 manufactured Volcano Black W11 (O) AT AWD is enroute to my garage in the next few days! The booking was on 10th Dec, with a 54k discount (excluding insurance and exchange offers), and the car has reached the yard today. I'll be doing a PDI tomorrow and give the go ahead for the temp registration - delivery by Friday <fingers crossed>.

I'm thinking of getting the side step, rear nudge guard, body side moulding and rain visor from the dealer, and 3D mats, maybe red grill too, from outside.

Do we have a review of the 2018 XUV in the works?
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 08:01   #723
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Do we have a review of the 2018 XUV in the works?
I believe many of us have been waiting for this for months now. I ended up buying my W11 (o) AT a few months ago (couldn't wait too long for the extensive review here).

So far, it has been an interesting experience (my first car from an Indian manufactured. I had been out of the country for 16 years). One thing I must say though is that Mahindra has been extremely responsive to our issues. But there are basic issues which stump me - for example, the thread stitching on my front row passenger seat has come out and I have a long strand of the thread just dangling from the seat. For a car that has been barely used and not at all abused, having such an issue within a couple of months of ownership is unacceptable. Mahindra has decided to replace the seat because they don't have a way to stitch it back in, but it's not clear how long this will take (been waiting for months now).

Then there is the issue of the battery draining out if the car hasn't been used for 3 days or so. They ended up replacing the battery because it shouldn't have drained so badly within 3 days, but the service advisors continue to indicate that the car can't be left idle for more than 3 to 4 days!
thejaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 11:51   #724
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,971
Thanked: 2,189 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaguar View Post
Then there is the issue of the battery draining out if the car hasn't been used for 3 days or so. They ended up replacing the battery because it shouldn't have drained so badly within 3 days, but the service advisors continue to indicate that the car can't be left idle for more than 3 to 4 days!
When we buy an XUV, we do not buy just another car - we get into a relationship with all it's ups, downs, bliss and kicks :-D

The battery draining out is a worry - there is no logic in the SA saying a car can't be left unused for more than 3 days. I have had 2 or 3 year old batteries in my car, tucked in my garage for a few weeks when I travel, and they always crank. There seems to be something else eating the battery. I remember reading something similar in TBHP a long time ago - can't quite place it. Hopefully this will be resolved!

Last edited by manson : 28th December 2018 at 03:02. Reason: Trimmed quote.
ph03n!x is offline  
Old 27th December 2018, 15:05   #725
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Banglore-Udupi
Posts: 24,463
Thanked: 26,752 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaguar View Post
They ended up replacing the battery because it shouldn't have drained so badly within 3 days, but the service advisors continue to indicate that the car can't be left idle for more than 3 to 4 days!
That is really odd. Since I spend 50% time in Bangalore, and remaining 50% in Manipal, my Grand Vitara stays idle for 15 days every month since 8 years. Always starts at first crank, every time. May be the new XUV is powering some gadgets directly, bypassing the ignition circuit.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 15:24   #726
Team-BHP Support
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 14,516
Thanked: 49,320 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is really odd. Since I spend 50% time in Bangalore, and remaining 50% in Manipal, my Grand Vitara stays idle for 15 days every month since 8 years. Always starts at first crank, every time. May be the new XUV is powering some gadgets directly, bypassing the ignition circuit.
Reminds me of a similar issue reported for the initial Hyundai keyless entry systems. It is active all the time to sense the key (which needs to happen before ignition) and ends up draining the battery if left idle.

Hyundai has even provided a switch in the fusebox to disconnect the power when the car is to be left idle over a longer period.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 15:33   #727
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Banglore-Udupi
Posts: 24,463
Thanked: 26,752 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Reminds me of a similar issue reported for the initial Hyundai keyless entry systems. It is active all the time to sense the key (which needs to happen before ignition) and ends up draining the battery if left idle.
Perhaps... A keyless system has to recognise a key which merely comes near it. So it has to maintain a force field. A regular remote key system has to react to an external signal like pressing the remote key. No force field required. I am just making a conjecture.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 16:00   #728
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
When we buy an XUV, we do not buy just another car - we get into a relationship with all it's ups, downs, bliss and kicks :-D

The battery draining out is a worry - there is no logic in the SA saying a car can't be left unused for more than 3 days. I have had 2 or 3 year old batteries in my car, tucked in my garage for a few weeks when I travel, and they always crank. There seems to be something else eating the battery. I remember reading something similar in TBHP a long time ago - can't quite place it. Hopefully this will be resolved!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is really odd. Since I spend 50% time in Bangalore, and remaining 50% in Manipal, my Grand Vitara stays idle for 15 days every month since 8 years. Always starts at first crank, every time. May be the new XUV is powering some gadgets directly, bypassing the ignition circuit.
Agree with you on the relationship part! Regarding the battery, yes, I am as surprised as you folks. For the life of me, I can't fathom why the suv has to be started every 3 days or so. I have had cars/SUV's in the US that haven't been touched in 2 or 3 weeks and they start with no issue whatsoever. Some of the explanations range from this is a diesel vehicle, so it drains battery faster to it's winter time now, so the battery drain is faster. After trying to talk to these folks logically, I just gave up and have decided to crank up the engine every 3 to 4 days.
thejaguar is offline  
Old 27th December 2018, 20:43   #729
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,971
Thanked: 2,189 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaguar View Post
Agree with you on the relationship part! Regarding the battery, yes, I am as surprised as you folks. For the life of me, I can't fathom why the suv has to be started every 3 days or so. I have had cars/SUV's in the US that haven't been touched in 2 or 3 weeks and they start with no issue whatsoever. Some of the explanations range from this is a diesel vehicle, so it drains battery faster to it's winter time now, so the battery drain is faster. After trying to talk to these folks logically, I just gave up and have decided to crank up the engine every 3 to 4 days.
Well, my car is getting delivered tomorrow - I will keep my fingers crossed, let me keep this thread posted if I notice a drain. All "explanations" they give are, you know, bovine manure! Have you raised a flag to M&M directly?

Even the 2015 face lift W10s (and later W8s?) came with keyless start and go - never read of a battery drain there.
ph03n!x is offline  
Old 28th December 2018, 10:11   #730
Team-BHP Support
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea (Bihar)
Posts: 7,136
Thanked: 9,467 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaguar View Post
I just gave up and have decided to crank up the engine every 3 to 4 days.
You don't have to give up. Please get it checked at any other Mahindra /Independent garage/at a dedicated battery shop (which has the requisite tools).

I suspect a faulty battery or may be alterntor or something similar.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 21:56   #731
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bangaluru
Posts: 94
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You don't have to give up. Please get it checked at any other Mahindra /Independent garage/at a dedicated battery shop (which has the requisite tools).

I suspect a faulty battery or may be alterntor or something similar.
I had a similar issue today with my W11 which was left unattended for 2 weeks.

The FNG guy refused to jump start the vehicle with my Honda Brio, saying that only a high powered diesel car (like his Innova) can handle the power requirement to start the XUV500. What is the expert opinion here about this - I would have presumed that even a fully charged standalone car battery should be able to do the job.
arao is offline  
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:43   #732
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Pune
Posts: 14
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

I also experienced the same issue with my W11 AT AWD. I was out of town for 2 weeks. On my return, I found out that the battery has given up. I called the service centre guy. After examining, he advised me to not to jump start (which he could have done if I had insisted for it), but get the battery fully recharged. He also asked me to unplug one of the battery terminals if car is going to be idle for over 3/4 days. According to him, the immobilizer and the keyless entry system consumes battery power and eventually discharges the battery.

Well, removing one of the battery terminals would do the trick, but there should be a better solution such as a switch or something. Never faced such issue with my other cars. None of them are keyless entry type though.

How's it with other cars with keyless entry system and left idle for considerable time? Secondly, if the one of battery terminals is unplugged, would the immobilizer still work?
Shrek123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:16   #733
BHPian
 
babhishek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: KOLKATA
Posts: 321
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Reminds me of a similar issue reported for the initial Hyundai keyless entry systems. It is active all the time to sense the key (which needs to happen before ignition) and ends up draining the battery if left idle.

Hyundai has even provided a switch in the fusebox to disconnect the power when the car is to be left idle over a longer period.
Is the switch easily visible? any snaps/pointers are helpful. I just replaced my battery after 17 days of idle. The battery lasted 43 months. Will keep this in mind for future long idles.
babhishek is offline  
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:17   #734
BHPian
 
Vitalstatistiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bombay-->Delhi
Posts: 271
Thanked: 548 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek123 View Post
How's it with other cars with keyless entry system and left idle for considerable time?
That's quite strange. My 2015 City starts immediately even if it has been idle for 2-3 weeks at a stretch, so its definitely nothing to do with keyless entry system. I don't think I have faced this issue with my 2017 XUV either, which is definitely idle for 5 days a week regularly.
Vitalstatistiks is offline  
Old 3rd January 2019, 18:44   #735
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,541
Thanked: 5,747 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

No question of this being normal. My KESSY Octavia with it's ton of electronics starts in 2 seconds of cranking even after a month. This is on a 2.5 year battery.

Definitely some leakage and must be checked else it will gradually wear out the battery even during short breaks.
itwasntme is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks