Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2019, 13:35   #766
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

I test drove the W7 AT yesterday and came out impressed. My only worry is the Start/Stop button. I was under the assumption that the car's engine can't be shut down if we press the Start/Stop button while the car is in motion. However, on pressing it thrice, the engine turns off and you have to press it one more time to turn it on again. My worry is what if it gets pressed accidentally while driving? It's sounds a like a scary situation more so if you are regular to the mountains. Please give your inputs guys. My SA was flummoxed when I demonstrated it in front of him as he was unaware of this. I'm eyeing the W7 AT only.

P.S. I have posted this query in two other threads too.
Old 25th February 2019, 13:37   #767
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
I test drove the W7 AT yesterday and came out impressed. My only worry is the Start/Stop button. I was under the assumption that the car's engine can't be shut down if we press the Start/Stop button while the car is in motion. However, on pressing it thrice, the engine turns off and you have to press it one more time to turn it on again. My worry is what if it gets pressed accidentally while driving? It's sounds a like a scary situation more so if you are regular to the mountains. Please give your inputs guys. My SA was flummoxed when I demonstrated it in front of him as he was unaware of this. I'm eyeing the W7 AT only.

P.S. I have posted this query in two other threads too.
In a practical scenario, I don't think you will be able to press the button 3 times while driving. Based on my driving the S-Cross enabled with the same feature, I have not even gone close to the button once the car has been started.

If this is your only worry, you can safely keep it aside and buy the car
arvind71181 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 13:44   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
In a practical scenario, I don't think you will be able to press the button 3 times while driving. Based on my driving the S-Cross enabled with the same feature, I have not even gone close to the button once the car has been started.

If this is your only worry, you can safely keep it aside and buy the car
Thanks for the encouragement, I think I was worrying a little too much.
Old 25th February 2019, 13:50   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, I think I was worrying a little too much.
In most cars with start stop button, there will be a safety override to prevent automatic shut down of engine using the start stop button.
In Xuv500, it's using the button three times in succession, this is such a rare event and since the button is on the driver's side, the chances are this happening is very very rare.
Atleast in Ford, the start stop button is towards left of the steering wheel visible to co-passengers, but you will need to press the button for over 5 secs to shut the engine down while driving.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 14:55   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaguar View Post
I am unclear as to how big an issue this is (mine is a w11 (o) AT), but given that they are not being aggressive with their reach out, I suspect it's not a major issue. Nevertheless, if this is causing engine overheating issues, I would rather have it fixed earlier than not.
Thanks for the information on the recall for radiator hose clamp, mine is a 2018 April W9 AT. Checked with service centre today - they checked my registration number in their software and said my car is not affected. They are also not sure which all versions/months are affected by this recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
There was a reported update to the ICE system, please check the last couple of pages. Which month is your car manufactured? And can you check the version of your ICE?

Can you check the version of your ICE, and also tell us which month it's manufactured?
Regarding ICE software, my car shows the same version as in the pics. But which I checked with service centre about software update, they said a software update is due, but not related to the Infotainment system. It is not urgent and I can do it next time I go for service.
Old 3rd March 2019, 14:48   #771
Senior - BHPian

So my 2 month old W11 (O) AT AWD reminded me that my service is due, and I promptly booked a slot on Friday for a Saturday morning appointment - I prefer to stay back and get things done rather than using the pick up/ drop off service, and reached there at about 10.30 am.

Apart for the Engine oil and filter, my car also needs the rear axle and transfer case oils to be changed. Apart for this, I raised these two issues -
  • Head lights alignment is messed up. The right side low beam is too low, and the high beam is pointed towards where the the left high beam hits in about 10 mt.
  • From the day one, there is an unusual sound with a mild vibration on the steering when the car is turning right as there are mild undulations on the road/ surface.
I had raised #2 in the first service, and they said they torqued all bolts & nuts. I wasn't satisfied, because this doesn't come at any speed if I'm driving straight or turning left (or standstill, when the steering is turned). And sure enough, the issue remained. Considering 5k service isn't too far, I lived with it.

And now, when they suggested they'll torque all bolts, as even said it's common in AWD cars, I refused to buy the bovine manure. I told them to specifically check drive shaft, steering column in addition to suspension components.

When the car was ready for delivery at 6pm, the issue #2 remained and they requested to have the car one more day - I grudgingly agreed. I get a call today saying they'll need the car for 2 days to figure this out - when they actually have had the car for 1.5 days from the time I went in for service. This is not a good show for their competence or customer experience. I'm taking the car now, and will get it back to them later this week when I can.

The car is well built, the service bill is a tad less than 3500, which is economical. But, even after 8 years of this car being in the market, service centre's issue resolution ability is... Spotty.
Old 21st March 2019, 14:43   #772
BHPian

A quick query to fellow bhpians please.

I took delivery of xuv500 w7 yesterday and I suspect that the dealer might have replaced the original tyres that the vehicle came with.
Is there a way for me to find out make/model/manufacturing of the tyres that the vehicle was originally shipped with?

I have already reached out to mahindra customer care and sadly they didn't have any clue and pointed me back to the dealer (really mahindra?)

Any help on offer would be greatly appreciated.
Old 21st March 2019, 18:45   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman_30 View Post
A quick query to fellow bhpians please.

I took delivery of xuv500 w7 yesterday and I suspect that the dealer might have replaced the original tyres that the vehicle came with.
Is there a way for me to find out make/model/manufacturing of the tyres that the vehicle was originally shipped with?

I have already reached out to mahindra customer care and sadly they didn't have any clue and pointed me back to the dealer (really mahindra?)

Any help on offer would be greatly appreciated.
Why do you think the tyres were replaced? Did you do PDI before delivery? If yes, do you happen to have any photos clicked of the tyres during PDI?

Without any proof it is highly impossible to tell if the tyres were replaced until you can get some help from higher ups at Mahindra, so that they should be able to give the tyres installed for that batch.
Old 21st March 2019, 18:57   #774
BHPian

I did PDI however did not pay heed to tyres and focussed only on vin identification and physical damage.

Reasons for doubt.
1. Make of the tyres ranges from 21 week 2018 to 05 week 2019. I would think all tyres should be from a similar manufacturing time. No?
2. I thought all new tyres are Bridgestone duelers on xuv500 by default, however mine are apollo apterra hp.

Last edited by sandman_30 : 21st March 2019 at 18:58. Reason: Added more details
Old 21st March 2019, 19:04   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did PDI however did not pay heed to tyres and focussed only on vin identification and physical damage.

Reasons for doubt.
1. Make of the tyres ranges from 21 week 2018 to 05 week 2019. I would think all tyres should be from a similar manufacturing time. No?
2. I thought all new tyres are Bridgestone duelers on xuv500 by default, however mine are apollo apterra hp.
I don't think you have to worry about your tyres, probability could be they were stored in huge numbers and being used on cars manufactured during that time frame. And I think it is picked randomly and installed on cars, not in any particular order.

On the Apollo Apterra, it is absolutely fine as XUV started with Bridgestone and JK tyres from the day it was launched. And later they moved to Bridgestone and Apollos. I remember asking the SA specifically for Bridgestones on my XUV.

And I believe in recent times the lower variants come with Apollo and the higher variants with Bridgestone. But I think it is fine and you should not be worrying.
Old 21st March 2019, 19:06   #776
BHPian

Thank you for responses fusionbang, it gives me a lot of assurance. Cheers
Old 21st March 2019, 19:35   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
probability could be they were stored in huge numbers and being used on cars manufactured during that time frame. And I think it is picked randomly and installed on cars, not in any particular order.
Dear sandman_30, if you take my opinion, you need to worry about this. In my experience of automotive industry, there's no way that tires from May 2018 would be lying around in Mahindra factory till Feb~Mar 2019. Tire, like any other component, follow FIFO process as tires (rubber) are also prone to aging.

To cross confirm, please check other vehicles in dealer stockyard or with any other dealer.

Regarding second point of difference in make, that's a common practice across industry. This is due to size differences between upper and lower variants, volume considerations etc.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 21st March 2019 at 19:44.
Old 21st March 2019, 19:40   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Dear sandman_30, if you take my opinion, you need to worry about this. In my experience of automotive industry, there's no way that tires from May 2018 would be lying around in Mahindra factory till Feb~Mar 2019. Tire, like any other component, follow FIFO process as tires (rubber) are also prone to aging.

To cross confirm, please check other vehicles in dealer stockyard or with any other dealer.
Thanks, that is what my understanding was as well. Even i grew suspicious with the aging on tyres being almost 9-10 months. Seems unlikely.
I will visit stockyard and do a check.

However is there no way to get information from mahindra database? Wouldn't they have records of what make/year tyres would go onto which chassis? Maybe asking for too much i guess.
Old 21st March 2019, 20:16   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However is there no way to get information from mahindra database? Wouldn't they have records of what make/year tyres would go onto which chassis?
Though tires have serial numbers, they are usually not mapped to respective chassis numbers.

(There are many components whose serial numbers are mapped to chassis numbers.)

Now, even if Mahindra has mapped tires, that would be in their internal database, dealer might not be able to access that.

Make of tires is available in Bill of Material, but if both makes are marked as option, then that too won't be helpful.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 21st March 2019 at 20:19.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 21:27   #780
BHPian

@Sandman

I m looking at picking up a W9 in Chennai, can you please let me know the discounts/offers you got. Here they are only offering Rs 14,800/- cash discount + Rs 25,000/- exchange bonus.

Most Viewed