Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2018, 17:06   #106
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Oh, no! Get those old designers back. Where is that awesome cheetah look? Do an image search on google with the last image of the back and you get 'minivan'
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 17:09   #107
Senior - BHPian

May be this Mahindra way of ensuring the last few remaining XUV fly off the shelves

Those looking for XUV can rather buy current gen and also avail some bargain in the process
Old 20th March 2018, 18:07   #108
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Rear is horrible. May be to make some space to fit that laptop bag after third row is being made up? In any case the exterior is making sure that no more heads shall turn #HateAtFirstSight. Cheetah is becoming more like a fat urban billi. Time to sell some M&M stock and make money before they go crash.
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 18:39   #109
BHPian

Maybe M&M are positioning the XUV against the Innova. Who knows, with all the design criticism, they might be laughing all the way to the bank with this 'lift'
Old 20th March 2018, 18:42   #110
BHPian

When Mr. Mahindra spoke very high of Tata design in the Auto Expo 2018, I thought they would learn some about "good" designing. If they had, they should have stopped this design in the drawing board itself!

XUV is already a "loud" design and this makes it more meaningless, to say the least.
Old 20th March 2018, 18:56   #111
BHPian

U-G-L-Y design How to ruin a handsome hunk? Ask M&M I am shocked to see the XUV in this design. Where is the Cheetah front M&M? Where are those muscular looks? Where is that imposing stance? SUV seems to be turned into a MPV. I don't see much takers for this facelift.

I was considering XUV as an upgrade to my Duster. You lost one customer M&M. After seeing the design blunder, I have decided to pick a pre-owned Fortuner at the same price tag. Pre-owned Fortuners are available in the price bracket of around 15L - 20L in Bangalore. Sadly, gone are those good old XUV days.

Last edited by SDP : 20th March 2018 at 20:49. Reason: Grammar
Old 20th March 2018, 19:41   #112
BHPian

I really think something is wrong with Mahindra. They simply haven't made good bets. SsangYong, Pininfarina etc, all have failed to propel Mahindra like JLR has done with Tata's standalone division.

The less I say about their design, the better. Whatever is the KUV?? Their design language is all over the place. The Thar looks good but Mahindra can hardly take credit for that.

Their cars do not match up to others in terms of overall quality. I think Mahindra would do much better to focus on the home market and produce world-class products than expand into other regions like North America while their products back home leave a lot to be desired.

I haven't seen anything innovative or exciting to have come out of the Mahindra stable since the XUV 500 came out. TBH, in reality, the Scorpio was the last major game changer to have come out of Mahindra's production line.

All said and done though, given today's news about the Prado, The Mahindra outputs just 4 BHP less than the Rs. 1 crore+ Prado. :P
Old 20th March 2018, 20:09   #113
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
When Mr. Mahindra spoke very high of Tata design in the Auto Expo 2018, I thought they would learn some about "good" designing. If they had, they should have stopped this design in the drawing board itself!

XUV is already a "loud" design and this makes it more meaningless, to say the least.
I get where you come from. Didn’t want to bring in Tata here, but hey, I am yet to see on roads a Tata design capable of stirring the Indian automotive scene as much as that XUV5OO did when launched. Yes, I mean the design and novelty. Tata is getting there and am quite optimistic about the upcoming SUVs. Let’s give credit where it is due.

Talking about the facelift, why fix when it isn't Broken = front grill = Just outright hideous. The rear, IMHO, is just fine, nothing to write home about though. They should have rather focused on
  • improving on the quality of plastics + some leather finish on the dash etc
  • Power hike
  • Sorting the ride (comfort) without compromising on the handling front
  • Some minor tweaks to the exterior to make it more matured and classy
If the first three in the list have been taken care of, I would get one in Black or a dark shade over the Hexas/ Crystas out there.

Last edited by M35 : 20th March 2018 at 20:12.
Old 20th March 2018, 20:16   #114
BHPian

Sad to see this happen to XUV.

M&M should have tested customers reaction to this "new" design during the autoexpo. Had they done it, I am pretty sure that the launch date would have been postponed or probably the facelift would have just got a bump in power and a new HMI.

Despite all the negative reviews about the design of all M&M products launched recently, the designers seem to run amok. High time someone puts a leash on them before they kill THE cheetah.

Last edited by katchkamalesh : 20th March 2018 at 20:18.
Old 20th March 2018, 20:43   #115
BHPian

It looks as if the front photo was clicked from a very close distance, causing the front to look overdone. I would wait for better photos before passing any judgement!
PearlJam is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 21:07   #116
BHPian

They are probably taking the Innova route on design front. I have my grudges against two companies who have great potential but their design wing is smoking something heavily adulterated: Mahindra and Hero Motocorp (bikes department). No doubt all their fresh launch designs rank anywhere between a scale of ugly to abomination. They also take up already good designs and mix their blend of disaster. Case in point: the handsome Scorpio and XUV, Hero Karizma, CBZ, etc.
Old 20th March 2018, 22:16   #117
Senior - BHPian

As a first gen XUV owner I am both aghast and happy to these two photos. Happy because I no longer need to consider another XUV as a possible replacement for my 5-year old trustworthy Cheetah.

I think M&M is repositioning the big Cheetah. It's their flagship model, one successful SUV, image builder, everything as of now. Yet nothing can live forever and change is inevitable. I think M&M is now paving way for the upcoming Rexton-based (or re-badged) SUV and want to position that car as their flagship. Let's assume it will be the bleeding edge, what XUV were in 2014.

A possible scenario, with this facelift, is that the XUV can now pose both as a SUV and a MUV. It will now be pitched against a plethora of cars: from Crysta to Compass to Creta.
Old 20th March 2018, 22:30   #118
BHPian

Front: Overdone, chrome galore and lost it's masculinity

Rear: Screams MPV.

The front rear now look like they belong to two different vehicles.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 23:56   #119
BHPian

When is an all-new XUV500 expected? I hope they don't go the Scorpio route by continuing to put lipstick on a 16-year old pig.
Old 21st March 2018, 00:03   #120
BHPian

While front is good, I wonder why dull the styling of rear.

This leaves me pondering,
People age and I wonder so do the cars?

The first Cheetah was an adorable kid.
The second had some style packed into as a teen.
The third one has to be a true man, alas, they made it Uncle ji.

Most Viewed