Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2017, 16:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Mahindra is reportedly working on a facelifted version of the XUV500. Along with some cosmetic changes, the car is also likely to get an upgrade in power output.

Though deeper details about the expected changes in the XUV500 facelift aren't known yet, it is being speculated that the 2.2-litre, four-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine will be retuned to develop around 168 BHP. This will mark an increment of around 30 BHP in the SUV's power output. Torque figures might also be altered with this upgrade. This will mean that the XUV500 will offer output figures that are similar to those seen on full-size SUVs like the Toyota Fortuner and Ford Endeavour.

A few cosmetic and feature-related changes are also expected to be made. It may be recalled that Mahindra had launched a refreshed version of the SUV in 2015. The new model will thus be the second facelift for the first-gen XUV500. With this update, Mahindra will hope to broaden the XUV's appeal.

Source: Autocar India

Last edited by dZired : 30th May 2017 at 16:34.
dZired is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 17:53   #2
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Looks like its somewhat seeing the heat from Hexa. Given the additional power and the other changes, I feel the XUV might edge closer to the 20 lacs mark unless of course GST helps and it can be priced lower
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 20:02   #3
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Much needed facelift for XUV to compete with HEXA or CRYSTA.
The power boost will help more in automatic model.
Price hike, if done, may play the spoilsport.
vsun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 21:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsun View Post
Much needed facelift for XUV to compete with HEXA or CRYSTA.
The power boost will help more in automatic model.
Price hike, if done, may play the spoilsport.
GST might come as a savior to keep price in check for XUV.
shahbaz63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 23:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Mahindra for always being on their toes and quick to react in improving their product. With increased power and lesser weight than Fortuner/Endeavor this would certainly be an even faster SUV than its current state.

My sense is that this power increase will come with marginal price increase which may get offset by GST. Most of its W8 and above variants are already hitting 20 lacs and beyond in Bangalore with top end W10 AWD Auto at around 23 lacs.
supertinu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 00:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The existing XUV500's 140BHP/~330Nm mHawk heart will be shifted to the Scorpio, while this ~170BHP/~400Nm mHawk will be exclusive to the XUV500 for now, as per my M&M sources.

This would bring it quite close to the Hexa's engine output (higher power, nearly same torque). But, being a considerably lighter car than the Hexa, expect much faster real world performance from the upgraded XUV500, at the cost of a negligible hit in FE figures.

Pricing could see a very minor hike for the mid/top variants. The impending GST rollout will equate/negate the hike-in-rupees effect.

I am told that the major reason for this is the upcoming Mahindra MPV, which is scheduled to slot in-between the Scorpio and the XUV500. M&M will pit it's MPV against the Toyota Innova Crysta as a direct rival, but which will be positioned as a more cost-effective and VFM proposition.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 31st May 2017 at 00:04.
RavenAvi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 10:07   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The XUV500 is already a quick SUV; ~170 horses & 400 Nm of torque will make it fast! The power-to-weight ratio will go up to well over 90 BHP / ton (Hexa = 65 BHP / ton), while the torque-to-weight could be over 200 Nm / ton (Hexa = 140). That's even higher than the Endeavour 3.2 & Fortuner 2.8.

Am certain it won't be just a power bump and they'll throw in some features. Wondering what, as the W10 is already 'fully loaded'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Looks like its somewhat seeing the heat from Hexa.
Not seeing any impact on XUV500 volumes after the Hexa's launch. In fact, the Hexa's ~1,000 / month levels are lower than expected.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 10:36   #8
BHPian

I hope they also come up with a new dashboard, maybe something like in the aero concept that was showcased earlier.
Its the achilles heel in the otherwise extremely competent package.
N.r.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 10:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the power bump, if Mahindra wants to react to the new entrants in the space, mainly the Creta, they should also update the shocks and dampers for revised better handling. When the car initially launched the blurbs had said it was tuned by Lotus but that failed to show in the test drives and while it handled better than the larger proper SUVs that it was supposed to chew shares from, it still didn't have car like handling and with these small lightweight entrants like the Creta, I feel like rejuvenating the driving characteristics would go a long way. Oh and ofcourse, please tone down the styling Mahindra please!

My father and I are in the market for an automatic SUV to tackle Bangalore's awful roads and traffic jams. Everything from the upcoming Nexon (hoping it comes with something better than an AMT) to the Jeep Compass (loving the fact that its based on a new platform with new drivetrains and loads of features no half-arsed Indian job this time) is being considered. So I will be eagerly following the update of the XUV500 as well. While Dad is too old now to be bothered with good handling, we had both initially agreed that the XUV was way too overstyled inside and out. Perhaps Mahindra will launch a more maturely detailed facilitate this time around?
Old 31st May 2017, 11:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Having picked up an XUV just two months back, this news seriously depresses me :(. A 170 bhp mill would make this beast a flyer. I wonder if there will be a factory approved remap available. Im pretty sure the auto tranny would be able to handle the updated power and torque since I remember reading that its rated for upto 450NM. So if this is merely a software induced bump up, then this could be retro fitted too....kepping fingers crossed!
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 12:12   #11
BHPian

I feel current power/ torque generated by XUV500 is good enough for most people. They should have focused on improving the suspension, brakes and comfort on 3rd row seats.

Last edited by GTO : 1st June 2017 at 10:56. Reason: Language
avimal is offline   (7) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 31st May 2017, 15:10   #12
BHPian

After having owned the XUV for 2.5 years and 50,000 kms and having 0 niggles, below is my wishlist for the XUV upgrade along with the known power increase (Ill be among the first to buy if they address these) ->

1. Low speed ride quality.
2. Sliding middle row.
3. Better finished interiors.
3. Better brakes.
4. Even better refinement levels along with Ford like noise cancellation system.
5. Better wipers as current ones dont even last a year without making screeching noise/getting worn-out.
6. Atleast 10" Infotainment system.
7. Better armrest for both front passengers.
8. A premium factory audio system like in Hexa, current one is crappy.

Rest all, XUV is awesome with already more than sufficient power, good handling, very comfy with long distance cruise-ability and is very abuse friendly from my experience.

Last edited by Aniket6 : 31st May 2017 at 15:17.
Aniket6 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 18:05   #13
BHPian

I almost finalised to buy XUV500 AT but then decided to wait till July to see if the price comes down due to GST. Will this new update be launched in July? Or do I have to wait till the festive season?
Old 5th June 2017, 10:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The existing XUV500's 140BHP/~330Nm mHawk heart will be shifted to the Scorpio, while this ~170BHP/~400Nm mHawk will be exclusive to the XUV500 for now, as per my M&M sources.
Nice to hear that the Scorpio will get this. If they can fix the darn interiors, the Scorpio would be a serious contender.

The only thing I really didn't like about the XUV also was their front dashboard. I counted three different type of plastics in the dashboard. One with lines on, one with grains on and one glossy stuff. Such an eyesore.
Old 5th June 2017, 16:04   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Kudos to Mahindra for always being on their toes and quick to react in improving their product
Unlike it's nearest MUV rial that moves at the pace of a Koala pumped up on eucalyptus leaf, Mahindra has always been quick to react to market, and few times ahead of the curve. When XUV was launched it really had no competition from domestic manufacturers in terms of features. Unlike the Koala which abandoned it's flagship SUV to the dust for the longest time, Mahindra kept updating the XUV. I hate the looks of the XUV, but if I wanted an new AWD SUV with automatic under 25 Lakhs, there is nothing available in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not seeing any impact on XUV500 volumes after the Hexa's launch. In fact, the Hexa's ~1,000 / month levels are lower than expected.
Tata just doens't have the mass market appeal when it comes to high end SUVs. In my opinion the Hexa sales will taper off, and Tata will go into hibernation for another five years before improvements are made. Once Mahindra launches the next update of the XUV, it is bound to hit Hexa sales further. The problem is that, if the sales momentum is not achieved at launch interest will taper off eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
they should also update the shocks and dampers for revised better handling.
Suspension has never been Mahindra's forte. The "Mightly Muscular" Scorpio mhawk that I had was so uncomfortable. XUV having independent suspension all around is much better that the Scorpio, but if you read any comparison of the XUV with other products, it always looses out on the suspension. I can never understand why Mahindra cannot get this right after so many years. I suppose, certain suspension elements have to be designed at the beginning like suspension travel for example. After defining the suspension travel, if you bring in Lotus, all they can do is to revise damper setting, not more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
They should have focused on improving the suspension, brakes and comfort on 3rd row seats.
Sliding middle row is one simple way for Mahindra to give some more space for the 3rd row occupant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
1. Low speed ride quality.
2. Sliding middle row.
3. Better finished interiors.
3. Better brakes.
I too feel the above changes must be made for the next iteration, besides bumping up the engine power.
4x4addict is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed