Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2018, 13:11   #511
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

What I didn't like

- Auto transmission took a bit of time and you could hear it strain when punching from a slow roll. Didn't expect that. But once it hit 60 kmph or so, it became quite smooth. But there is that hesitation and accompanying sound. Let's blame it on the test drive car. Requesting our owners to validate.

-Brake bite was very soft and I had to remind myself I was driving a heavy vehicle and did anticipatory braking as much as I could after the initial scare
This is the same observation I had during my drive. If you scroll up few posts, you will see my comments on the exact lines. AT takes time to pick up and the braking in my test car did not have any bite yet all until more than 50% was depressed. My car had come from Ananth motors so it looks like the issue is not exclusive to demo car. However, I have decided to book the car for lack of better alternatives.
Old 11th June 2018, 13:48   #512
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

I am not sure why Mahindra cannot fix lousy brake problem. This has been the case with all versions of xuv since launch.

I find that xuv is nose heavy and seems weight is not evenly distributed. Don't know if this attributes to bad braking.

When I took delivery of my xuv in 2012 and reached home, I called back sales person saying "hey, brakes are not working at all in my new xuv". Sales guy told "sir, it is working, you will get used to it".

And yes, I got used to it but I drive it carefully than my other cars because I know it may not stop immediately in some emergency. This is one of the major sore point with design of xuv ( apart from bad ride at low speed due to not so great suspensions).

Last edited by manson : 11th June 2018 at 14:07. Reason: Typos.
Old 11th June 2018, 14:20   #513
BHPian

I want to share my experience. I had a 2014 XUV W6. I deliberately opted for W6 because when I bought there were teething issues with XUV's electricals and given most controls in XUV were on the touchscreen, the most affected indeed was the W8 top end. Also Android Auto etc weren't launched till then so it didn't affect my decision. I was more at ease with buttons.

My 1st choice to change my XUV with, was and still is the Ford Endeavor. I took test drive of 3.2 and 2.2 Titanium, several times. Mind you my need was never a 4x4 as I don't off road with my expensive cars (just enough needed if I have to do a bit of soft roading). I would rather pick a Thar for that vs putting a 20/30L+ vehicles through treacherous terrains. The 2.2 appealed to me more as even though the 3.2 had a better mid range, the 2.2 had a significantly better low end and very acceptable mid range vs the 3.2. The issue was the price per my usage. I loved my XUV yet only had 37,000 kms on the ODO after 4 years 3 months of ownership. So eventually the mind said, for almost 37 OTR in Bangalore for the Endy 2.2, given its FE, Insurance, etc and my usage year on year, it was too high a cost of ownership per km.

My reason to upgrade was to get a punchy spacious SUV with an automatic gearbox. I test drove the plush new XUV thrice (W11(O) AT) at 27, 1211 & 1708 kms on the ODO. Yes the ride is better vs the 1st Gen XUV that I had and may be even better than the 2nd Gen (though I haven't driven it enough). However it was still far away from the Endy and given the Endy was my first choice it was hard to ignore that comparison. New XUV still had a ton of side by side movement at low speed. And on potholed road if you decide to go faster to lessen that bouncy ride, the suspension makes too much sound as if you are going to tear the car apart in next few mins. It may not happen but since the suspension doesn't work silently, it sure sounds like you aren't giving your car any love.

Next the AT. Honestly the AT in XUV is the biggest downer. It's starts smoothly but after that from 10kmph till about 50/60kms it just holds the revs too long before upshifting and hence there is a lot of noise without any equivalent progress as the first two gears are short. That happens with or without part throttle. After that initial coarse engine note till 50kmph the car does show it's spirited drive. But seems that way the AT is more helpful on the highway than the urban jungle, which is why most people including me choose an automatic - to beat the urban jungle. Also lack of sports mode and a laughable manual shifting mechanism (button toggle on gear lever) with the age old gated automatic gearbox meant that unit really looked like from a time at least a decade or half older than the car itself.

Lastly the steering. It waaay lighter than my 1st Gen XUV with very little feedback and being dead as duck in the center. I actually found it a bit unnerving. Endy also has an EPS that doesn't quite impress me with it's feel and feedback but at least it's precise. On the new XUV I found both lacking. But nipping it through traffic was pretty easy. I felt I'm driving a Hyundai and not a behemoth Mahindra. But as you hit open stretches you feel uncertain with the steering. And if the roads are a bit of a harpin, the well controlled body roll of XUV gets destroyed by the vague steering. I wish they hadn't tinkered with the steering feel, assistance and feedback as on the 1st Gen model.

I had reluctantly test driven a Hexa XTA automatic as well in between testing the Endy. Lack of Android Auto, puny touchscreen and lack of enough storage space for the driver hits you as soon as you step in. Then you go through the specs and realize the dynamic guidelines for reverse parking and ESP are also missing on the automatic. In terms of features, the XUV beats the Hexa hands down. However upon the very upbeat response from Hexa owners I gave the Hexa another shot. The reasons being even in the first drive, I was impressed with it's ride quality and amazing auto gearbox. 2-3 more test drives and I felt the car to be more mechanically accomplished than the XUV and great VFM in comparison to the Endy 2.2. There is no doubt that the Endeavor is more feature rich but in the end you drive a car and not play with a tablet or phone.

Just like I wouldn't pick a phone only for it's ability to dual up as a TV remote same way the car first needs to check it's basics. The 3rd TD of the XUV with 1700 odd kilometers already had started to have rattles from the same areas where my 1st Gen XUV had struggled on and off with. Yes they can be fixed but not permanently. You need to be prepared to fix them as and when they come up and while MASS is helpful in getting it resolved (temporarily), I was delighted with the fact that a 17,000 kms driven Hexa test drive vehicle had none. The hydraulic steering in Hexa is heavier but not a nightmare in traffic unless you have to take a ton of U turns. And same unit at low or high speeds gives a much better confidence of where the car is headed. The AT is either at par or even better mated to the engine vs the Endy 2.2. Plus an all black interior (less chances of being soiled vs a beige or tan interior) again influenced me. Hence ended up buying the Hexa XTA Urban Bronze, last month and while I miss certain features vs the XUV (biggest one for me were the cornering lights), I have loved the drive everyday. A spacious well put together interior, superb AT with sports mode and manual triptronic, magic carpet like ride quality, decent FE by segment standards, fantastic seats (variable density foam), a very predictable handling, superb experience of driving RWD with LSD (more capable anyway on tricky terrains vs a FWD or high range AWD) and class leading NVH vindicate my decision. Plus without shelling out a bomb means even with my low usage, after 4-5 years when I'm in the market again for a better car, I wouldn't lose much vs selling an Endy after the same time period.

I'll say nothing comes close to XUV & Hexa in their price bracket for VFM factor. However choosing one over the other is a battle of heart over mind. Mind kept saying XUV because of all the bells and whistles it offers. Heart said Hexa because it is not just a poser but a much more capable machine with lesser tricks up it's sleeves. However please note XUV may seem inferior in the points noted above before Hexa. When XUV comes to competing with cars outside it's segment or price bracket, it offers a lot more. But in my opinion if you are going to be shelling the same amount for 2 cars in the same segment, it makes more sense to compare them with each other vs the car you are upgrading from.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 18:34   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_AANJANEY View Post
I'll say nothing comes close to XUV & Hexa in their price bracket for VFM factor. However choosing one over the other is a battle of heart over mind. Mind kept saying XUV because of all the bells and whistles it offers. Heart said Hexa because it is not just a poser but a much more capable machine with lesser tricks up it's sleeves. However please note XUV may seem inferior in the points noted above before Hexa. When XUV comes to competing with cars outside it's segment or price bracket, it offers a lot more. But in my opinion if you are going to be shelling the same amount for 2 cars in the same segment, it makes more sense to compare them with each other vs the car you are upgrading from.
Thanks for the great insight! I too have test driven the Hexa, especially after being a voyeur on this forum and hearing such good things about it! It did impress me to a great extent, but the steering was a bit too heavy, especially for the Mrs, and neither of us like the more MUV-ish look of the Hexa. I also particularly felt like the Hexa's engine doesn't like to be pushed, and while the XUVs AT is conservative, quick shifts using the manual mode (I completely agree with you that the implementation feels very 'gimmicky') were good enough for quick overtakes.

I personally chose peak traffic hours for one of my test drives to put the AT through its paces, and found it to do a stellar job. I never felt that the engine was being lugged, and the creep mode in traffic was a great boon - though I could notice some vibrations in the cabin when the car was in Drive mode with the brake pressed for a prolonged period (typical bumper to bumper jams in the city).

Conversely, for us, the black interiors of the Hexa made the cabin a bit grim, whereas the the tan leather seats & the sunroof of the XUV gave a very nice airy feeling. I also preferred the riding position of the XUV over the Hexa, I felt it to be a bit more commanding. The steering was one of the most positive points for the Mrs (she's tiny and the lighter steering meant much easier maneuverability, also no telescopic on the Hexa meant she couldn't find her ideal position, this was one of the biggest let downs) We loved the ambient lighting and the sunblinds, but the Mrs having a tough time finding a comfortable driving position meant the car was immediately out of contention. Although, I think even if it had the telescopic adjustment, I think we would have still booked the XUV due to its road presence and stance...

Last edited by navin : 13th June 2018 at 14:25. Reason: formatting
psinide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 19:41   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinide View Post
Thanks for the great insight! I too have test driven the Hexa, especially after being a voyeur on this forum and hearing such good things about it! It did impress me to a great extent, but the steering was a bit too heavy, especially for the Mrs, and neither of us like the more MUV-ish look of the Hexa.
I will concur for the fairer sex, Hexa will be less desirable to maneuver. However, I would say Hexa being MUVish looking is debatable. It sure has a more sloping bonnet line vs the XUV but the clamshell bonnet of Hexa at its front nose still sits higher than the front bonnet ending of the XUV.

Still the XUV is more photogenic as burly crossover / SUV and Hexa is more awesome with close inspection. 1 thing I particularly liked about Hexa was the paint quality and I don't think even the new age XUV has that amazing finish (I looked very closely at the 2 new shades introduced by M&M - Mystic Copper and Crimson Red). It's a very nifty detail and shouldn't be a deal breaker hence I didn't mention it before. But the paint quality of Hexa is quite a few notches above the XUV.

Quote:
I also particularly felt like the Hexa's engine doesn't like to be pushed, and while the XUVs AT is conservative, quick shifts using the manual mode (I completely agree with you that the implementation feels very 'gimmicky') were good enough for quick overtakes. I personally chose peak traffic hours for one of my test drives to put the AT through its paces, and found it to do a stellar job. I never felt that the engine was being lugged, and the creep mode in traffic was a great boon
I think the one on XUV is more rev happy but till the time the car makes the needed torque and HP, I don't fret over it. I have got used to the slow revving bigger diesels. If Hexa feels lethargic you will find the Endy's 3.2 almost in coma Also I didn't say XUV's engine lugs in AT. On the contrary it just revs too much for my liking with no equivalent increase in vehicle speed. With fairly average NVH in the segment it competes in, if you don't have music playing it can become an irritant. At least for me.

Quote:
Conversely, for us, the black interiors of the Hexa made the cabin a bit grim, whereas the the tan leather seats & the sunroof of the XUV gave a very nice airy feeling.
I can completely understand. You aren't alone in crores of others in our country who prefer it this way. I have owned beige interiors before and with the almost black interior in my 1st Gen XUV and all black in Hexa, I'm simply relieved that the car manufacturers haven't completely dismissed people like me who like it all black.

Being a previous XUV owner, I will say, you will love your Cheetah. There is a lot to love about the XUV. Even if I rate Hexa better in certain aspects, XUV will remain one of my most loved rides and will have a special corner. All the very best
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 07:17   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the one on XUV is more rev happy but till the time the car makes the needed torque and HP, I don't fret over it. I have got used to the slow revving bigger diesels. If Hexa feels lethargic you will find the Endy's 3.2 almost in coma Also I didn't say XUV's engine lugs in AT. On the contrary it just revs too much for my liking with no equivalent increase in vehicle speed.
3.2 on Coma? Just wanna hear more on this comparison between Hexa and Endy
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 12:53   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the great insight! I too have test driven the Hexa, especially after being a voyeur on this forum and hearing such good things about it! It did impress me to a great extent, but the steering was a bit too heavy, especially for the Mrs
I also preferred the riding position of the XUV over the Hexa, I felt it to be a bit more commanding. The steering was one of the most positive points for the Mrs
Exactly how me and my wife also felt. XUV engine is lethargic initially but otherwise it was fine. And it seems to be an all-rounder, for all uses.
I am 6'2" and my leg was touching the centre console in the Hexa, couldn't get a comfortable seating position. No such issues in the XUV.
jesrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 14:16   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
3.2 on Coma? Just wanna hear more on this comparison between Hexa and Endy
Well it was my observation. Unless I literally floored the accelerator to the metal, the Endy 3.2 would build up speed very conservatively and the revs would build up slowly. Past 60kmph the progress was brisk due to that 197bhp hauling the 2.2 ton monster. However both in Endy 2.2 and Hexa AT, without a complete kickdown the momentum build up was very linear and not skewed after the engine hits a particular power band, improving drivability over a longer range of throttle inputs and rpms. The XUV is more free revving but the short gearing of 1-2 gears reduces the acceleration unless in complete kickdown mode which is bad for FE and also not advisable during run in period. Which means you will be one of slower movers in moderate traffic during your initial 2000 kms and later below the advertised FE for the vehicle once you can start flooring the accelerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Exactly how me and my wife also felt. XUV engine is lethargic initially but otherwise it was fine. And it seems to be an all-rounder, for all uses.
I am 6'2" and my leg was touching the centre console in the Hexa, couldn't get a comfortable seating position. No such issues in the XUV.
I found the same issue though I'm shorter than you. I agree the ergonomics on XUV were better sorted for front seats. However, after 2 test drives in the 3rd one I found the sweet spot in Hexa. Basically it's not a car you can simply jump into and get comfortable. It needs you to figure out your sweet spot vs XUV which is outright smart in getting that for you easily. Trust me it were the mechanicals, better AT & steering and better put together interior that made me go for Hexa vs the ergonomics. Honestly a bit of sitting in a very similar cabin (vs my old XUV) also played a part in not choosing the new XUV. If you are still unimpressed with XUV and discarding Hexa because of ergonomics solely, test drive it again. Otherwise go ahead with XUV. You can't go wrong with either one of them.

Last edited by manson : 12th June 2018 at 18:06. Reason: Please avoid back to back posts by using the edit tab whilst posting within an interval of 20 minutes.
Old 12th June 2018, 17:12   #519
BHPian

Quote:
I found the same issue though I'm shorter than you. I agree the ergonomics on XUV were better sorted for front seats. However, after 2 test drives in the 3rd one I found the sweet spot in Hexa. Basically it's not a car you can simply jump into and get comfortable. It needs you to figure out your sweet spot vs XUV which is outright smart in getting that for you easily. Trust me it were the mechanicals, better AT & steering and better put together interior that made me go for Hexa vs the ergonomics. Honestly a bit of sitting in a very similar cabin (vs my old XUV) also played a part in not choosing the new XUV. If you are still unimpressed with XUV and discarding Hexa because of ergonomics solely, test drive it again. Otherwise go ahead with XUV. You can't go wrong with either one of them.
Have already booked the XUV W11 (O) Mystic Copper
The Hexa was definitely not comfortable for wife, so it was out of question.
I didn't have an issue with the light steering of XUV as I felt it similar to my Honda City.
This is my first "large" car and I hope it will last 8-10 years without issues other than minor niggles.
I was actually not really comfortable buying a diesel and adding to the already high pollution in the country but did not feel confident of buying the XUV petrol. Also there are mixed reviews of Jeep Petrol so was unsure there. Maybe I could have considered Creta Petrol but FE is too low so not sure if it really helps in "reducing" pollution. XUV and Hexa seemed the only choices.

Last edited by jesrani : 12th June 2018 at 17:13.
Old 13th June 2018, 10:24   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Have already booked the XUV W11 (O) Mystic Copper
Congrats on the booking!! What is your CPD? My dealer tells me the CPD from Mahindra is 24th June - which means the car will reach the dealers stockyard on the 24th.

Questions for the people who've have taken their deliveries -
-Did you get your keys on your CPD or did it take 1-2 days after the 'Customer Promised Date' by Mahindra
-And most importantly, how are your cheetah's doing? Any initial reports/reviews/advice/tips? Did you do any ceramic/ppf/underbody treatments?
psinide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 14:00   #521
BHPian

Just a quick update, I didn't notice a post here with this information, but I got confirmation from the dealer that the new XUV is not BS6 compliant

Now that we are expecting a BS6 fuel rollout by 2020 in most of India, how do you think it will affect the current Diesel BS4s? Most reports say that using a BS6 fuel in a BS4 engine will marginally affect its fuel efficiency and long term effects would be scoring & wear of the injectors, disruptions in flow patterns resulting to incomplete combustion, etc. But none of these reports give any insight on the timeline of the 'long-term'

I know BS4 fuel will not be phased immediately, but just wondering what the implications would be of having a BS4 car two years from now...
Old 13th June 2018, 14:13   #522
Senior - BHPian

From this

Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs-img_20180118_175516.jpg

To this

Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs-img20180612wa0020.jpg

Finally my second innings start. Got it yesterday, W11 AT.

I was driving a W6 MT since November 2011 called Silver Streak. I got it when it was launched during inauguration prices and drove till May 2018 with 90k kms on ODO. Was very happy with my driving experience with it.

This one came through CSD and is named White Walker as. I needed HP registration due to Delhi 10 year ban (was the reason i sold my Silver Streak). Wanted AWD but it was not available in canteen and i dont have that much patience.

Will post detailed review once i get a Temporary number (yes i got it home without any number plate) and have done few kms before i can really compare it with my W6.
nitinralli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 11:59   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
From this

Attachment 1771261

To this

Attachment 1771260

Finally my second innings start. Got it yesterday, W11 AT.

I was driving a W6 MT since November 2011 called Silver Streak. I got it when it was launched during inauguration prices and drove till May 2018 with 90k kms on ODO. Was very happy with my driving experience with it.

This one came through CSD and is named White Walker as. I needed HP registration due to Delhi 10 year ban (was the reason i sold my Silver Streak). Wanted AWD but it was not available in canteen and i dont have that much patience.

Will post detailed review once i get a Temporary number (yes i got it home without any number plate) and have done few kms before i can really compare it with my W6.
Many congratulations, Sir. You have upgraded your ride within the M&M family, which in a way reinforces my decision to go for the XUV.

Expecting the delivery of my W11 (O) AT this Sunday. Me too have booked the Pearl White color.

Cheers!!
Pratyush
prince0407 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 18:06   #524
BHPian

I have completed my first 1000 km service, few clarifications:

1. Navigation map is 2016 version, anyone got it updated?
2. Asked for Lock and Unlock sound enable, service team says the facility is not available in our model..is it right?

All the door rattling is fixed, left hand side speaker was not working fixed, first and second gear feel more refreshed now..
Old 14th June 2018, 19:00   #525
J D
BHPian

Got delivery of my W11 (O) AWD yesterday!

Posting a couple of snaps for the benefit of the ones still undecided on the colour. Yes, this is a personal choice, but "this" red is very attractive; Crimson against the sunlight and almost Maroon from other angles...most online snaps do not do justice to showcase the actual colour - even the launch video does not really reflect the true hue. I looked at it from every angle possible in the showroom (confused) - with spot lights and every other light on, but can say that in person it has a very pleasing, catchy look.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs-1.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs-2.jpg  

J D is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks