Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2018, 13:58   #631
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

USB Pen Drive in the Infotainment system - maximum capacity
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone managed to use a drive with more than 16GB capacity? This is for the Plush New XUV.

My 32GB drive does not work, but an 8GB drive does. My RM says that drives above 16GB can not be used. This has not been mentioned in the Infotainment Manual, though.

Thanks

Last edited by manson : 28th July 2018 at 15:16. Reason: Typo.
Old 28th July 2018, 15:34   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arao View Post

Has anyone managed to use a drive with more than 16GB capacity? This is for the Plush New XUV.

My 32GB drive does not work, but an 8GB drive does. My RM says that drives above 16GB can not be used. This has not been mentioned in the Infotainment Manual, though.

Thanks
I use 30gb Ipod in my plush gen xuv. Works perfectly.
Old 28th July 2018, 17:39   #633
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I use 30gb Ipod in my plush gen xuv. Works perfectly.
iPod and USB are listed as separate input sources in the infotainment system, so what works for iPod may not work for USB. Also, with iPod we may be able to navigate through the contents on the iPod itself, whereas in case of USB sticks we have to use the infotainment system user interface. That could be a difference too.
Old 28th July 2018, 18:14   #634
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

My 32GB drive does not work, but an 8GB drive does.
You could try using a pen drive of alternate make. The stock HU on my Verna works fine with an 8GB pen drive of SanDisk, but won't detect a 4GB unit of Transcend.
Old 28th July 2018, 20:38   #635
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
I used a Sandisk 32 GB in my new XUV. Works perfect.
Old 29th July 2018, 19:42   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
I used a Sandisk 32 GB in my new XUV. Works perfect.
Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 32 GB, does not work.
Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 64 GB, does not work.

I use a Macbook, and tried both FAT32 and ExFAT formats.

Sandisk Cruzer Blade USB 2.0 8GB works (FAT32 format).
SONY USB 2.0 8GB works (FAT32 format).

Is it USB 3.0 then that is the issue - I presume that your 32GB Sandisk is also USB 3.x.

Thanks!
Old 30th July 2018, 10:31   #637
BHPian

The family got all ready at 4AM on Saturday to go out on a fun outing only to discover that our (barely a month old) XUV500 wouldn't unlock using our remote. Finally, we managed to unlock the car using the physical key only to realize that the vehicle won't start. It appeared that the battery was completely dead. The scary part was that you can't even open the trunk when the battery is dead.

We called the Mahindra service number who in turn sent over a 3rd party RSA team an hour after the complaint. The guy came with a handheld jumpstart device that is probably used for jumpstarting 2 wheelers or small cars. He tried to start the vehicle multiple times, which likely caused the immobilizer to get activated, but they didn't realize that and after a wait of another hour, they sent somebody over with a proper battery and tried a bunch of times to start the vehicle unsuccessfully.

Then the blame game started, with them even blaming the remote. Apparently our month old remote was out of battery. I brought out the second remote, which was also apparently out of battery. Then they admitted that it's not a remote issue anymore, but the vehicle had to be towed to the service center for scanning so as to get it to work again!

With no other option left, we waited for another hour to get a flatbed to take our car over to the service center. In the meantime, we got in touch with the regional manager of Mahindra and the general manager of the garage to understand how a brand new vehicle that has been driven for less than 100kms is in this state. After an entire day of testing, the service center informed us that the battery had ended up in a state of extremely low "specific gravity" and they weren't able to figure out how this could have happened. They ended up replacing the battery and sent over the old one to the factory for further tests. We got back our XUV around 7:30PM along with a bouquet of flowers and a box of sweets and lots of apologies.

Our weekend plans were ruined and more importantly, there is a significant loss of trust in the brand and the vehicle. I will now think twice before making any plans for long road trips. The sad part was that this was going to be our first real outing with our new XUV and it was such a huge letdown.
thejaguar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 17:08   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaguar View Post
a brand new vehicle that has been driven for less than 100kms is in this state. .
Less than 100 kms in a month, could this be a reason?
Old 30th July 2018, 22:09   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
No, this can't be. It seems to be random manufacturing defect in the battery. It may happen with anyone. Nothing to worry apart from the mental pain and trouble.
superbhikari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 22:32   #640
BHPian

How often and how many kms at one go was the car run since taking delivery? Too low mileage can result in the battery not receiving sufficient charge. In any case, the battery should have responded the second time when the jumpstart was attempted with a 'proper battery.'
Old 31st July 2018, 09:18   #641
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
how a brand new vehicle that has been driven for less than 100kms is in this state.

Our weekend plans were ruined and more importantly, there is a significant loss of trust in the brand and the vehicle.
That must be frustrating, disheartening to read your post.

Out of curiosity, I want to know few things. How many kilometers were on the odo when you took delivery of your XUV? When did you get it, 2-3 days ago..?
Old 31st July 2018, 11:00   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
No, this can't be. It seems to be random manufacturing defect in the battery. It may happen with anyone. Nothing to worry apart from the mental pain and trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympal View Post
How often and how many kms at one go was the car run since taking delivery? Too low mileage can result in the battery not receiving sufficient charge. In any case, the battery should have responded the second time when the jumpstart was attempted with a 'proper battery.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
That must be frustrating, disheartening to read your post.

Out of curiosity, I want to know few things. How many kilometers were on the odo when you took delivery of your XUV? When did you get it, 2-3 days ago..?
We had taken our XUV out for a couple of small trips, but we would periodically start the vehicle and keep it running for a few minutes. We hadn't used the XUV for about a week before this incident. The service center was informed about this and they said that the battery's specific gravity should have never gotten so low, so they claimed it was a battery defect.

When we took possession of the vehicle, the odo was at 50km and we had put another 50km on it in the month that we have had it.

We have now decided to use this as our primary vehicle for the next weeks and put in a 1000kms to see how it goes.
thejaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 19:34   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The sad part was that this was going to be our first real outing with our new XUV and it was such a huge letdown.
Quote:
Yes I think it is because the car was idle for more time than it is supposed to be. When in the yard the batteryies are disconnected to make sure this situation does not arise. And I believe there is a run in for the batteries as well to make sure they get used to the conditions and work as expected.

If the car is not used extensively, I would suggest make sure you switch on the car and keep it idle for for 5-10 mins once in 2 days.
Old 31st July 2018, 20:35   #644
VR4
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely. Can happen with anyone, although "low specific gravity" in a new battery is not acceptable. M & M on their part should have done their own QC.
Old 1st August 2018, 00:33   #645
BHPian

Quote:

When we took possession of the vehicle, the odo was at 50km and we had put another 50km on it in the month that we have had it.

We have now decided to use this as our primary vehicle for the next weeks and put in a 1000kms to see how it goes.
Had this problem recently with my duster, in my case it was caused by an update to MediaNav unit, which had a mind on its own and it would switch on and off which in turn switched on my amplifier which drained the battery to near 0% when I was out of town..
Similarly, are you sure you don't have any leakage? If everything was working fine a week before, I highly doubt this to be a battery issue. Not trying to scare you here, just my 2 cents so that you can get it rectified asap, instead of swapping batteries.

Thanks
KK

Most Viewed