Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2017, 22:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Motors working on all-electric Tiago. EDIT: Pics on page 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Tata will be there in the picture from the start with whatever knowledge they have gained through the years.
That is what i strongly doubt. All their R&D centre in the UK has been able to do for the past 10 years or so is to plug in an EV drive train into each of their passenger car models for a tour of the auto show and journo test drive circuit. there is a cottage industry which does this in the UK anyway, and from their website, it seems TML is trying to develop its own IP as opposed to licensing anything from the existing players.

If you look at the top selling EV's - they are all designed as EV's from the ground up, The Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, All those tesla's. If you retrofit an EV drivetrain into a car designed for an iC engine, no matter how much you tweak it, your results will be sub optimal. Given TML's penchant for cooking up lots of random proof of concepts, you'd think they'd have built up the expertise to design a concept ground up EV to showcase in their tour of the PR circuit, but instead, we get the automotive equivalent of "this tata bolt's power source will SHOCK YOU"
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:38   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I don't think India is ready for EVs as yet in comparison with what the US/Europe or China have done. Pls note that all these 3 markets have achieved self sufficiency in power generation and have been running big surpluses.

We, on the other hand, are consistently missing our power generation goals every plan period. With the new Govt having come in 2014 and growth being put back on track, one expects steep increase in demand from industries as well as overall domestic demand going up due to higher disposable incomes and discretionary spending.
Quote from The Economist July 29th 2017: There will be plenty of power to operate them. Installed generating capacity has more than doubled since 2007. The capacity of power projects now being built should double it again from the present level, assuming they are all completed. Improvements to transmission are no less impressive. “We have a more advanced, more flexible grid than Europe’s,” enthuses VinayakChatterjee, an infrastructure consultant.

Those of you who are regular readers will agree that The Economist is one of the strongest, anti-India critics and does not eulogise the current govenment.

There will be a problem of plenty with all the private and Government power projects coming online simultaneously as well as the burgeoning solar energy sector. So Narayan, electricity is NOT a problem!

As far as charging infrastructure is concerned, a few weeks back I saw a company turning street lamp-posts into fast-charging stations at Hounslow on the outskits of London, complete with online billing through an app based smartphone interface. (Google it up guys).

Takes about 3 hours or so to convert each lamp-post. There are more than adequate lamp-posts in the Top 20 cities of India methinks. And Tata Power or Relaince Energy are more than capable of starting a new business to enable their lamp-posts to become new cash churners over night!

Last edited by Ferruccio : 3rd August 2017 at 11:39.
Ferruccio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
And my commonsense tells me that building this infrastructure is much cheaper than investing on Metro/mono rail etc.
Umm, Metro is infrasturcture Raj

Metro construction costs in India are the lowest in the world and are a viable mass transportation solution. Metro Rail will be complemented by EVs for last mile personal mobility. Home to Metro station in an EV, long distance commute by Metro, followed by a shared e-rickshaw to office doorstep.

And this is also why we will not need more than 200 kms EV range for personal transport in India. For Public Transport the battery range will be augmented by contact free, trickle charging in the minute or so each bus is stationary at bus-stops or red signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think electric cars have a long way to go in India, and they'll increase in popularity only when:

1. Battery tech improves even further (it is every year)
2. EVs go mass market and the price / benefits ratio is comparable to regular cars
3. Charging stations are as ubiquitous as petrol pumps
4. The charging is quick!

Our country's adoption rate is very slow. Take hybrids for instance.
Like most problems the root is cost structures. Sri Lanka (similar terrain, weather, culture, slightly better per capita income) has a nearly 20% hybrid adoption rate and a 7% electric car adoption rate. Why?

Simple - Fuel is more expensive, independant home-based, solar charging facilities are practical and the import duties on 'almost new' hybrid car and electric car imports from Japan are favourable.

As soon as the cost structures are a bit more favourable in India, there is no reason why adoption will not pick up similar to the adoption of cell-phones once the 'tipping point' in terms of cost of usage was reached.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th September 2017 at 01:16. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Ferruccio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
[b]

There will be a problem of plenty with all the private and Government power projects coming online simultaneously as well as the burgeoning solar energy sector. So Narayan, electricity is NOT a problem!

As far as charging infrastructure is concerned, a few weeks back I saw a company turning street lamp-posts into fast-charging stations at Hounslow on the outskits of London, complete with online billing through an app based smartphone interface. (Google it up guys).

Takes about 3 hours or so to convert each lamp-post. There are more than adequate lamp-posts in the Top 20 cities of India methinks. And Tata Power or Relaince Energy are more than capable of starting a new business to enable their lamp-posts to become new cash churners over night!
I concur. Enabling a charging station, authorizing its use and billing a consumer is very easy currently with the availability of wireless data network infrastructure. Its the will that's lacking.

With the availability of electricity, rest of the issues are not India specific (and available already) and doesnt need time to adopt them. So to say we are not ready yet is not correct.

Last edited by srishiva : 3rd August 2017 at 12:21.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 23:27   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Big thanks to Bichu for bringing this TorqueIndia tweet to our notice, and sharing the attached PDF:
Tata Motors working on all-electric Tiago. EDIT: Pics on page 3-2.jpg

Tata Motors working on all-electric Tiago. EDIT: Pics on page 3-1.jpg

Tata Motors working on all-electric Tiago. EDIT: Pics on page 3-3.jpg

Tata Motors working on all-electric Tiago. EDIT: Pics on page 3-4.jpg

Tata Tiago EV.pdf
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 10:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors working on all-electric Tiago. EDIT: Pics on page 3

This is Tiago EV production ready ? Specs look nice(except for the range), however i doubt if they can price this below 10 lakhs. I dont see any comparision between this and E20plus in terms of build quality(which sells close to 8lakh here in bangalore)
Old 8th September 2017, 11:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Tata has unveiled a fully electric concept of its Tiago hatchback at the LCV2017 (an exhibition for low carbon emissions vehicles) in Millbrook, UK, that's engineered by the brand’s UK-based Tata Motors European Technical Centre (TMETC)

http://www.autocarindia.com/car-news...evealed-405905
RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 12:10   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

While everything else might be equally good (I have least interest in EVs), the only item that caught my attention in the specification sheet was the acceleration figures of this budget hatchback: 0-60 mph in less than 11 secs.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 12:20   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Big thanks to Bichu for bringing this TorqueIndia tweet to our notice, and sharing the attached PDF:
If I'm not wrong, isn't this the same place of Tata Motors Europe, who had done a lot of fanfare about an all electric Vista? It was a good vehicle on paper too, but didn't get anywhere beyond the prototype. About time they took these things seriously rather than just doing mid-term projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
While everything else might be equally good (I have least interest in EVs), the only item that caught my attention in the specification sheet was the acceleration figures of this budget hatchback: 0-60 mph in less than 11 secs.
Indeed, and that too for a heavy car tipping the scales over a thousand kgs. Guess that performance is what brings the range down significantly. The range for this car is still way less than what is a must for it to become a practical primary mode of transport rather than a grocery shopping cart.

TML must replace the heavy steel where possible and move to FRP/ABS panels wherever possible with good reinforcement for safety. With this weight, to increase range, the battery pack will have to be very large and of the best quality possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
This is Tiago EV production ready ? Specs look nice(except for the range), however i doubt if they can price this below 10 lakhs. I dont see any comparision between this and E20plus in terms of build quality(which sells close to 8lakh here in bangalore)
+1. The range is really low. I don't think the E2O+'s quality can be compared to a Tiago. The E2O or E2O+ are really almost plastic cars best as city run-abouts. The Tiago is a proven solid platform. However, like you said that more or less means it will be impossible to make this car available below 10L considering the costs involved.
Old 8th September 2017, 13:01   #40
BHPian

Really hope this goes beyond concept to a production model. The knob reminds me of the JLR knob:
Tata Motors working on all-electric Tiago. EDIT: Pics on page 3-tiago-ev-interior.jpg
Tata Motors working on all-electric Tiago. EDIT: Pics on page 3-xj.jpg

Source
rohansachar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 17:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
The knob reminds me of the JLR knob:
Attachment 1673590
I see electric parking brake too but headlights looks like halogen reflectors doesn't make much sense on electric vehicle.
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 17:46   #42
BHPian

While its good to see Tiago modified into EV, I think Tata need to do much more. They need to create a dedicated EV platform. These type of modifications (replacing existing ICEs with electric motors and adding batteries) are being done by even small enthusiast teams in many parts of the world.

Tata and Mahindra have a great opportunity to break the Suzuki's stronghold on the Indian Market. As of now Suzuki does not have any EV or even proper plug-in Hybrids in their line up. They don't have any proper plans in the near future also.

JLR is developing all-electric EVs and plans to electrify all their cars by 2020. Tata need to use that expertise and invest in electric vehicles more. They need to form separate teams now to bring the mass market EVs in next 2-3 years.

These time pass projects where they dont even mention the battery capacity are not going to cut it.
sri_tesla is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 22:49   #43
BHPian

Tata Motors hints at 'important' announcement on electric vehicles in next few weeks

While all eyes were on Nexon launch, here is something important from Tata Motors.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...s-2393957.html

Guenter Butschek, managing director, Tata Motors said, “We will have something important to announce about electric vehicles in the next few weeks”.

Mods: Please merge if a thread already exists.
airbender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 23:12   #44
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors hints at 'important' announcement on electric vehicles in next few weeks

A few days back Tiago EV was showcased by TMETC and we also had a news about Tiago EV launch in September 17, link to the news https://www.team-bhp.com/news/rumour...iago-september
When dots are connected we can assume that this important announcement will about Tiago EV; or will TATA surprise us with something really BIG?
Only time will tell.
Old 21st September 2017, 23:52   #45
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors hints at 'important' announcement on electric vehicles in next few weeks

If they announce the Tiago electric with a range of at least 100 KM along with ABS and airbags for a price of 8-9 lakhs on road , I would be willing to buy one .

Would definitely be a much better buy than the E2O plus.

The price should not be in excess of 10 lakhs anyways. The Hyundai Ionic plug in sells for around 28000 $(~18 lakh) in the USA with a range of 220 miles (340 Kms ). This is the price before any government incentives. It's also a much bigger Elantra sized car with 6 airbags ,ESP and loads of equipment.

Considering the much much smaller car and lower equipment levels of the Tiago along with a range that is 1/3 of the Ionic plug in , the ideal price would be 8 lakhs. Also, the GST on electric cars is only 10% compared to the petrol Tiago which is under 30% GST.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 22nd September 2017 at 00:01.

Most Viewed