Team-BHP - Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/187427-hyundai-elite-i20-facelift-now-launched-rs-5-35-lakhs-4.html)

Hyunda's i20 ( 2018) review (Eu ) with 1.0l turbo petrol, ( not clear yet if this engine will be in its face-lift for India though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzW-dcIfjvA

Hyundai i20 1.2 AT to debut at Auto Expo 2018

Quote:

Hyundai sources have confirmed that along with the facelift, a new automatic gearbox will also be introduced. A continuously variable transmission (CVT) - mated to the 1.2-litre Kappa engine - will debut for the first time on the i20. This, in effect, will replace the 1.4-litre petrol variant.
Honda Jazz/Maruti Baleno Effect ?

Quote:

The new CVT will likely also make the i20 facelift more fuel-efficient. While there will be no paddleshifts on offer, a source stated that "there could be a possibility of them being introduced in the future".
Source

Seems to be a desperate attempt to get parity on paper with the competition. The 1.2 petrol as it is feels barely adequate on the i20. CVT gearbox will further dull the response. No paddle shifters will make the problem that much worse.

Let's hope this is not another Kwid AMT in the making - acceptable on paper but terrible in real world driving conditions.

According to a media report, the upcoming Hyundai Elite i20 automatic facelift will be offered with a 1.2-litre Kappa petrol engine. The smaller capacity engine will replace the 1.4-litre unit that currently powers the i20 automatic. Additionally, the new Elite i20 is rumoured to get a continuously variable transmission (CVT) paired with the 1.2-litre engine. It is set to make its debut at the 2018 Auto Expo.

Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs-elite-i20-facelift.jpg

It has been reported that the new CVT has been developed specifically for India and is likely to make the new model more fuel efficient than the outgoing 1.4-litre version that comes with a torque converter. The report suggests that it won't come with paddle shifters however this feature could be introduced in the future.

The smaller 1.2-litre engine will also put the i20 is a lower tax bracket - more specifically, it will attract 12.5% tax, which applies to sub-4 meter vehicles and cars with 1,200 cc petrol engines. This should allow Hyundai to price the new i20 automatic more competitively.

Currently, the Hyundai Elite i20 1.4 automatic attracts 24% tax. It is available in only one trim (Magna) and is priced at Rs. 9.15 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). That's Rs. 81,000 more than the Maruti Baleno Alpha CVT variant.

Apart from the new engine and transmission, the Elite i20 facelift will get revised styling with a new grille, re-worked tail lights and new alloy wheels among other updates.

Source: Autocar India

Not surprised. Low FE for Hyundai's torque converter AT is a talking point among buyers. Hyundai lags on this front in all segments. While Maruti is aggressively pushing AMT, i20 is specifically hurt by Baleno's meteoric rise to segment topper.

No doubt it will be awful to drive. Akin to the Jazz CVT I suspect. :Frustrati

One more member for the rubber band club.

So they are going to pair the highly uninspiring 1.2 Kappa with a CVT. While they may be able to attract more customers and lower the price point, I remember my test drive of the 1.2 kappa and I can surely say that unless they can create some magic, the car is going to be very sluggish to drive.

The Xcent has the same 1.2 litre engine mated to a 4 speed torque convertor AT right? Kerb weight of Xcent and i20 are roughly the same.

Taking some numbers off my hat, at best, the CVT will offer 1 kmpl more than the 4 speed AT under city driving conditions, but at an extra cost (over 4 speed AT) of atleast Rs. 30,000.

I'm a sedate driver and actually quite like the i20's low-speed urban driveability. My biggest grouse with the 1.2 Kappa engine is mid-range power delivery, esp. on the highway.

Drove a colleague's i20 to Vizag, and I felt the car had an unnerving habit of hitting a flatspot in third gear around 3.5-4k RPM (high double digits on the speedo), necessitating either an up-shift mid-overtake or backing off. Not confidence inspiring on an undivided highway, and we just took it easy on such stretches. It cruises pretty effortlessly on 6-lane highways.

Can't help thinking a CVT will exacerbate that behavior.

Hyunadi's i20 facelift for Europe,

Quote:

the i20’s new corporate grille will be accented by updated headlights and fog lights, the latter appear to be smaller and better integrated into the bumper than the outgoing model.
Quote:

Out back, the taillights also appear to be completely new. The position of the license plate, too, has been moved from the bottom of the bumper to the center of the tailgate, signifying a completely revised bumper and rear hatch design.
Most of the interior remains a mystery.

Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs-hyundaii20faceliftnewspyphotos.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs-hyundaii20faceliftnew1spyphotos.jpg

Source

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcat (Post 4335427)
The Xcent has the same 1.2 litre engine mated to a 4 speed torque convertor AT right? Kerb weight of Xcent and i20 are roughly the same.

Xcent is approx. 50 Kgs lighter than i20 and Grand i10 is around 25 Kgs lighter than Xcent. I own a Xcent Petrol and although it feels lethargic, it is downright pathetic in i20, when I tried in one of my friend's i20. The power will start coming only after your hit 1,800 rpm, post which there will be a linear surge in the power. So the trick is to keep the vehicle in the power band which translates to always maintain the right gear - no lugging or lazy shifting.

Hyundai i20 facelift,( spied in Korea)

Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs-3bdd7f3094cb61a7617ffeccc69864df.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs-f031881fa10773ac9400e624bf3b971f.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs-06b8bdc58487a36e83b0dde0fc6a1b59.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs-6ed8f632b894e45188add3a9cd2c9915.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs-485445bf714e65b7174bf141d65efea7.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs-cea04fc2a7964ede0931db49aa7e08dc.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs-f18f27a302757f82a6ad39c80fd4f97c.jpg

Link

Elite i20 facelift spied:

Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs-img20180202wa0008.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs-img20180202wa0009.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs-img20180202wa0010.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs-img20180202wa0011.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 Facelift, now launched at Rs 5.35 lakhs-img20180202wa0012.jpg

Source: Whatsapp forward

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4349280)
Elite i20 facelift spied:
Attachment 1723213

Regards,
Shashi

I see two new additions on the inside:

An extra charger port returns. The one on the left says 12V. But why does the right side port have a different icon? Perhaps it takes higher voltage electronics like laptops?

I can see voice command feature on the steering wheel. It's mapped to the same button on the steering wheel with the green phone icon. This is definitely welcome.

On the outside, the headlamps seem to be carried over which is fine. Will the eyebrows light up? I'd swap mine if it did! The new LED (?) tail lamps looks very 'BMW 5 series' but it has lost the unique signature of the present model. I did see a test mule last night and the tail lamps look very generic.

Finally, the rear camera is tucked into the rear reg plate recess. No more ugly protrusion.

I'm so glad that we bought the pre-facelift late last year, inspite of facelift rumours.

It's not an ugly facelift, but the i20 looked absolutely stunning, the facelift less so. Especially those plastic cladding things in the rear bumper and moving the number plate to rear hatch.

Also, I feel the old alloys were far nicer. These look too utilitarian.

The front look is the only redeeming part, it looks quite balanced, but I still prefer the old one.

I hope the feature set improves. Looking forward to atleast ABS plus 2 Airbags as standard, and basics like rear wiper on mid range variants as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftdiesel (Post 4349655)
An extra charger port returns. The one on the left says 12V. But why does the right side port have a different icon? Perhaps it takes higher voltage electronics like laptops?

The 2nd port is a USB charger only port. Similar to the Verna, the logo matches.