Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2017, 22:13   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Pics: How Maruti & Hyundai are doing their bit to save water - Going the waterless way

Pics: How Maruti & Hyundai are doing their bit to save water - Going the waterless way-1.jpg

Quote:
The World Environment Day celebrated today encourages people to a car for the environment and save resources as much as possible. Certain methods to conserve resources include running a building or household for one hour or so in order to reduce the stress on the environment. While these aren't long-term solutions to conserve resources, a car company has taken the conservation of one particular resource, water to the next step. Maruti Suzuki India Limited has now introduced its Dry Wash System in over 1,100 workshops across the country and will eventually follow this for cleaning the cars coming in for service.
Pics: How Maruti & Hyundai are doing their bit to save water - Going the waterless way-marutisuzukiwaterlesscarcleaningimage2.jpg

Quote:
In this system, the cars that come for cleaning will use water for underbody washing, however, the rest of the exteriors would not use one-tenth of the quantity (approximately). This cleaning process consists of a dry foam polish, hand gloves made out of a material similar to a towel, wipers for glass areas and micro fibre cloths. The entire kit is available to customers at a retail price of Rs 12,000, however, a smaller kit which includes a pre-mixed polish and a microfibre cloth is available for Rs 860 inclusive of all taxes.
Pics: How Maruti & Hyundai are doing their bit to save water - Going the waterless way-marutisuzukiwaterlesscarcleaningimage3.jpg

Quote:
As you can see here a Ciaz is undergoing the cleaning process in which the excess dust was fist wiped off, after which the dry foam polish was applied. The system at workshops uses an air compressor which pressurises the dry foam polish put in a reservoir and sprayed on the car. One litre of water is mixed with 50 ml of the dry foam polish. The foam polish is available in the high-end kit in a one-litre format and it can clean over 20 cars. Once the foam polish is applied, it is allowed to settle for a few minutes and then spread over with the towel gloves.
Pics: How Maruti & Hyundai are doing their bit to save water - Going the waterless way-marutisuzukiwaterlesscarcleaningimage4.jpg

Quote:
The foam enters all the tiny gaps and crevices ensuring that the car is completely covered with it. Once this is done, the foam is wiped off using a microfibre cloth turning it completely clean. In addition, before the microfibre cloth is used to clean the car, wipers can be used to clean the glass areas. The entire process of cleaning the exterior of the car takes approximately 20 minutes as opposed to the conventional system which takes about 45 minutes. In 2016-17, Maruti Suzuki saved 216 million litres of water. Such small initiatives surely go a big way without losing out on customer satisfaction while reducing the precious resources like water.
Source

How it is done

Pics: How Maruti & Hyundai are doing their bit to save water - Going the waterless way-waterlesscleaningsystemworldenvironmentdaymarutisuzukimainimage1.jpg

Quote:
World Environment Day is celebrated on 5th June every year to conserve natural resources like water. Maruti Suzuki, in its initiative towards saving water has introduced a waterless wash system which has a substantial reduction in water consumption during cleaning a car. If your car has gone for a service or any other aftersales treatment, the final bit that happens after this is cleaning the car inside out. A conventional method would involve a high-pressure wash which not only takes a considerable time to clean, but also involves wastage of a lot of water. Since salt water or non-edible water would reduce the life of the paintwork on a vehicle, dealers have to resort to ground water in order to wash the car thoroughly. Maruti Suzuki India Ltd, however, is now moving from the conventional method to a new 'Dry Wash System'. Not only the wash time for workers has reduced to 20 minutes from approximately 45 minutes on each vehicle, the new method has saved around 216 million litres of water every year. The system is available in 1,130 workshops and nearly 2.28 million vehicles were cleaned using this system in the 2016-17 fiscal year. This is three times the increase of the cars cleaned using this method in the 2015-16 timeline.

The Dry Wash System involves using comparatively lesser quantity of water without compromising on the quality of cleaning. The entire kit consists of a dry foam polish, micro fibre cloths, wipers and towel hand gloves. The process starts off with dusting off the car with excess dirt or dust after which the car is sprayed with the dry foam wash. This is the only place where the cleaning process involves water which is minimal. To put it in perspective, if the conventional process involves 20 litres of water, this system involves barely 500 ml. Once the foam is sprayed, it is allowed to settle and then spread across the entire exterior of the car using the hand towels

The next process involves cleaning the body of the car with a micro fibre cloth, however, before the cleaning starts, windows, rear glass and the windshield are cleaned using wipers, after which the entire car is cleaned using the microfibre cloths. The time taken for the entire system is approximately 20 minutes which is considerably lesser than the conventional method since it needs a lot of water which needs to be dried up more than once, even using a micro fibre cloth. Here this sweep has to be done once, or at most, twice.

The system isn't a completely waterless one, however, the amount of water saved is not just considerable, but, substantial. Not only does it reduce the amount of operation costs at a dealership, it also reduces the water consumption involved in cleaning a vehicle.

With Maruti Suzuki's initiative across a number of workshops, the company not just plans to have a cost-effective method for workshops, but also, make this entire process more environment-friendly. At this World Environment Day, the company has started what would be a small initiative to save water but it is a positive commitment which would go a long way in conserving natural resources and the environment.

Pics: How Maruti & Hyundai are doing their bit to save water - Going the waterless way-waterlesscleaningsystemworldenvironmentdaymarutisuzukimainimage2.jpg
Pics: How Maruti & Hyundai are doing their bit to save water - Going the waterless way-waterlesscleaningsystemworldenvironmentdaymarutisuzukimainimage5.jpg
Pics: How Maruti & Hyundai are doing their bit to save water - Going the waterless way-waterlesscleaningsystemworldenvironmentdaymarutisuzukimainimage6.jpg
Pics: How Maruti & Hyundai are doing their bit to save water - Going the waterless way-waterlesscleaningsystemworldenvironmentdaymarutisuzukimainimage4.jpg
Source

Meanwhile, Hyundai launch their own “Dry Wash” campaign to promote World Environment Day

Quote:
Not be left behind on World Environment day Hyundai Motor India have launched a save water campaign and like Maruti are also promoting ‘Dry Wash’. Their 45 days campaign will be conducted in association with Society for Indian Automobile Manufacturers and will take place at 1,254 Hyundai Dealerships across the length and breadth of the country between June 5th and the 19th of July.
Hyundai being a caring & responsible corporate promotes ‘Dry Wash’ for cars with the aim of saving 120 litres of water per car. Post conclusion of the campaign, Hyundai will donate the same amount of water to the drought affected areas in India.
Hyundai claims their Dry Wash will save almost 120 litres of water for every car that is washed. To further their cause, after the campaign is done. Hyundai will donate the same amount of water they save in the process to drought affected regions in India.
Commenting on the initiative Mr Rakesh Srivastava, Director, Sales & Marketing, HMIL, said, “Being a socially responsible & environmentally conscious manufacturer, Hyundai believes in the philosophy of preserving the environment and its resources for a better future. As a part of our CSR activations, we regularly engage in environment-friendly initiatives to create strong awareness among the communities. On World Environment Day, we pledge our sensitivity towards the environment and this campaign is one such”.
Dry Wash, aside Hyundai, will also engage a series of environmentally friendly campaigns across dealerships and workshops targeted at raising awareness among customers. Including dealers being required to use environment-friendly water-based automotive paints and also encourage their valued customers to plant more trees.
Source
Leoshashi is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 07:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Pics: How Maruti & Hyundai are doing their bit to save water - Going the waterless way

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 08:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Pics: How Maruti & Hyundai are doing their bit to save water - Going the waterless way

I recently got my Ertiga serviced at a Maruti ASC in Bangalore and it got the taste of this waterless wash for the first time. The reason was something most Bangaloreans are already aware of and not this post!

The Pollution Control Board from the orders of NGT have conducted a series of investigations across certain pockets of Bangalore - Electronics City, Bommanahalli, Hosur Road, Sarjapur Road, Bellandur and have categorically ordered immediate closure of water wash equipment used at these service centers. The reason cited : None of these ASC (as far as I Know, at least 13 of them have faced the music including other brands as well) have a reliable and sustainable treatment for Sewage. While few ASCs were asked to close only their Washing Set-up, few were forcibly shut down completely too. There is a connection to Bellandur Lake and NGT's related order. Read more of that here.

Now this ASC where I visit now has a banner at the reception area that says "Go Green, Ask for Waterless/Dry Wash" and each of the SA upon receiving the vehicle is informing the customer beforehand that the vehicle won't undergo traditional washing but will only be washed using dry foam - No, not even any under chassis wash or spraying pressurized water on the wheel wells/Arches.

The fact that your post mentions this, I am relived that underbody will be washed with regular water.

Quote:
In this system, the cars that come for cleaning will use water for underbody washing, however, the rest of the exteriors would not use one-tenth of the quantity (approximately).
I cannot dread to think of the service being carried out without even washing the wheel arches properly when they attempt to remove all the wheels and clean the brakes etc. A pressurized wash at least in these areas is must, especially when you have driven in rainy conditions.

The Waterless Wash Experience:

Due to a lot of errands on personal front over the past 3 months, my car hadn't been washed on regular basis at home which I religiously do (Mostly with Plain water) and then those frequent spell of rains that ensured the body needed a wash badly.

When I was explained that they can only do waterless wash, I didn't expect the outcome to be better - Especially the long running roof that had a lot of dust on it. I noticed upon delivery that the wash was no less than satisfactory, especially for the condition that the vehicle was. But that's about it.

The Areas of improvement were the Front Grill and Fog Lamp bezels which still had insects stuck right there. Good spray from a faraway distance right on AC Condensor fins also makes a lot of difference with the cooling and removes dead insects too. Sadly, with this dry wash, that also won't be done. Even the Running board on both sides needed attention. Since the Dry wash exercise in my case was due to other reasons mentioned above, they had not washed the Wheel Arches and the Engine Bay as well. However, the interiors were vacuumed and cleaned. Since the expectation was set beforehand, It wasn't a surprise to me and neither I could raise this as a concern.

This waterless wash has to be done in a very professional manner and I have a huge apprehension regarding the way this will be done if implemented across ASCs. I expect the washing folks to be less caring when working on our cars and also expect them to end up causing scratches and swirls using the same (or abused) gloves or clothes as they end up washing at least 40-60 cars per day. When the volumes are that high, I expect a lot of carelessness in the way this entire dry wash thing will be handled. More importantly, this requires more human effort as there will be lot of wiping right after the foam is sprayed till its wiped. Earlier, spraying water did half the job. This is the other reason why the folks attending your car would never have least dedication to your car as there will be another 10 cars waiting!

At the end of the day, passing the buck on caring the environment and then expecting customers to remain complacent if washing is not as per expectations - Seems to me that this will be the biggest and easiest way to get away from iffy customers who care more about washing quality rather than the service itself.

As for me, I will continue to visit washing centers to only get the wheel arches and underbody sprayed with pressurized water and wash the car myself as I have been doing so till now.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th June 2017 at 08:39.
paragsachania is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 11:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: How Maruti & Hyundai are doing their bit to save water - Going the waterless way

Had serviced my Alto couple for weeks back at Kalyani Motors, Brookefield. They did water less wash as BBMP doesn't allow water wash due to water shortage. Didn't inspect the under body but the body was pretty clean.
pramodpk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 11:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pics: How Maruti & Hyundai are doing their bit to save water - Going the waterless way

This is being practiced by Prerana Motors @Peenya for more than a year now. I dont know about other Tata Motors dealerships, though.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 11:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
At the end of the day, passing the buck on caring the environment and then expecting customers to remain complacent if washing is not as per expectations - Seems to me that this will be the biggest and easiest way to get away from iffy customers who care more about washing quality rather than the service itself.

As for me, I will continue to visit washing centers to only get the wheel arches and underbody sprayed with pressurized water and wash the car myself as I have been doing so till now.
Rightly said. Most customers don't really care about the quality of wash and the service centers would probably sell this as the next big thing in car detailing so it should be an easy sell for them. But for folks like us who don't let the half-asleep watchmen touch their car, it's something to avoid for sure.

By the way how much are the service centers charging for this? Is it the same as a regular wash?
razer2911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 12:06   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
This is being practiced by Prerana Motors @Peenya for more than a year now. I dont know about other Tata Motors dealerships, though.
This was there at Many Maruti ASCs too but the highlight now is that with this, they will completely do away with water based washes and will be getting implemented across.

Also, the set-up of foam wash earlier was dealer/ASC specific and not Standard defined by the Manufacturer. What Shashi has highlighted in this post is something that will get implemented as standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razer2911 View Post
By the way how much are the service centers charging for this? Is it the same as a regular wash?
No changes. My bill had the same charges for Periodic Service (that includes wash anyway).

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th June 2017 at 12:08.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 13:25   #8
BANNED

A great initiative indeed, Maruti and Hyundai are the biggest sellers, so if 70-80 percent of the cars sold are washed like this, obviously it will result in a subsidiary water savings.

I like the thought that Maruti is also selling the kit to customers but it seems steeply priced considering it only does 20 washes. How much does the mixture cost after that? Is there any other product on the market that does a similar job?
Old 6th June 2017, 13:53   #9
BHPian

Great initiative. Last month, I took my Polo to VW Service Center in Pune (BU Bhandari, Wakad). Their washing job is always sub-standard. Honestly, my regular car cleaner, all equipped with a bucket of water and a piece of cloth, does a better job at cleaning my car than these folks with their state-of-the-art workshop.

Anyway, during the feedback, I asked them why they could not improve on their washing job. And they told me that they are going to start with water-less wash in a few months. Though it seems their driving factor for going water-less way is cleaning quality (not sure if this would actually work in their favor), but it will benefit the environment nevertheless.

I guess VW is going to join Maruti and Hyundai in this initiative soon.

Thanks!
AD
aishwaryadeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 14:24   #10
Team-BHP Support

During the rains, mud water is splashed on the car's body panels - especially lower part of fender and below the door. Can this system remove the mud too?

Also, at the onset of winter, there is fine coating of dust everywhere on the car. I wonder if 'dusting off' the car gets rid of all dust particles.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 14:32   #11
BHPian

Wouldn't it be better for larger centers to do regular water wash and recycle the water instead?

Waterless wash seems like a hack that would be useful for regular owners etc who don't have the resources to recycle water.
chncar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 16:07   #12
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ar-wash-3.html

Team BHP has answer to any query.
aadya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 16:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

I remember a vendor had advertised a similar service at our apartment doorstep few years back. There were not many takers and the initiative didn't take off. Now in the new scenario with better level of awareness on water conservation and having felt the pinch of water shortage, these type of services can be a success.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 16:22   #14
BHPian

Is this waterless foam available to consumers as an accessory? I usually use proklear to clean my car, but would not mind using this as well 2- 3 times a year.

Edit: just read- 12000 for the kit!!! and not sure how many cars can the premixed polish (for Rs. 860) clean.

Last edited by ajayclicks : 6th June 2017 at 16:26.
Old 6th June 2017, 16:27   #15
BHPian

Very heartening to see maruti and hyundai take this up. I have been personally using a waterless car cleaning service here in pune (for those of you who need details - you may google 'Green Salute, Pune for further details)
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed