Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2017, 13:03   #31
BHPian

Re: Which car has the best seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
The seats of the VX variant of Honda Jazz (2015) is fairly good. For sub 10 lac cars, I find these seats among the best in the market - that despite obvious cost cutting by Honda. They provide enough back support and are comfortable for long drives, having driven for more than 12 hours at a stretch for more than 3 days in a week for a trip to south India from Pune. The front seats especially are good.
Really enjoyed the seats on the Jazz and WRV during a recent small test drive.
Comfort, seat design and seat fabric all appeared top-notch
Old 14th June 2017, 13:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari both front and back followed by the Innova Crysta are super comfortable for long distance cruising.
Old 14th June 2017, 13:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Seats are an easy way for bean counters to save pennies (quality, quantity, ergonomics etc.). See the Renault Duster's basic seats. They have no business being sold in a 10 - 15 lakh car. Even Honda (now a master of cost-cutting) is inconsistent in terms of seat quality across its cars.
From the review of Honda Mobilio:
Seats are awfully thin. If a rear passenger is short on legroom, you can feel his knees through the backrest:

Old 14th June 2017, 14:12   #34
BHPian

Among all the cars i owned (Palio, Swift, City, Jetta, Endeavour), the Jetta takes the crown hands down for the most comfortable seats- front and back
Old 14th June 2017, 15:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The seats of the newer gen entry level cars like the Celerio, Eon, Alto and a few other hatchbacks with thin seats are just horrible for longer travel.... Just not sure who can do it for me in Bangalore.
Seat cushions/back rests are made up of Polyurethane foams. Local two wheeler seat makers, who repair/replace torn off stock seats will have standard Polyurethane blocks with them, which they will cut to dimension and glue it to the existing seat cushion/back rest foam. In case they don't have standard polyurethane blocks, you can buy standard two wheeler seat foams for the purpose. Another place from where you can get foams (or scrap ones) would be furniture manufacturers.

But the only problem: Two wheeler & four wheeler foams vary in density. You might get the required support by re-working on the seat cushion/back rest but there is no guarantee on the end result with respect to comfort enhancement.

Easiest to use and cheapest option would be going for aftermarket accessories such as seat or back cushion. They can be used whenever needed. Also, you will have an option to choose memory foam based products. Though memory foam isn't supposed to be used for seat cushioning, it does do a good job for a back support.
k88k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 15:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
From the review of Honda Mobilio:
Seats are awfully thin. If a rear passenger is short on legroom, you can feel his knees through the backrest:
Same seat as in the Amaze and god, how I curse it on long rides. This thread is a godsend, thanks to the OP that started it.
Old 14th June 2017, 16:08   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Really enjoyed the seats on the Jazz and WRV during a recent small test drive.
Comfort, seat design and seat fabric all appeared top-notch
The Jazz/City/WRV seats are decently comfortable when the are new and the foam has not yet been squished. But give it a couple of years, and you will curse them no end. Seats are overtly soft and start sagging in not much time at all. My City is 3 years old. Anything more than 30mins in the car and my lower back and neck and shoulders start acting up.
Old 14th June 2017, 16:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The Jazz/City/WRV seats are decently comfortable when the are new and the foam has not yet been squished. But give it a couple of years, and you will curse them no end. Seats are overtly soft and start sagging in not much time at all. My City is 3 years old. Anything more than 30mins in the car and my lower back and neck and shoulders start acting up.
That is very sad to hear.
At home we are very happy with the comfort of our old City and Brio.
Longest drive on both cars has been around 8 and 6 hours respectively.
Brio seats have also held up very well at almost 5 years.

A car, that I have not sat in but would love to try out are the seats in the S-Cross,which look really nice and well made.

Also the driving position, overall ergonomics and seat-comfort all come together in my mind.

For example - while both the Esteem and the old Honda City had similar seating position - i always found that the City was miles ahead when it came to overall comfort.
Redline6800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 17:53   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
That is very sad to hear.
At home we are very happy with the comfort of our old City and Brio.
Longest drive on both cars has been around 8 and 6 hours respectively.
Brio seats have also held up very well at almost 5 years.
There is no point comparing the old Jazz/City with what they sell currently. Those vehicles were class apart. I have a 5 year old Jazz which has done 1L km. It is more or less as good as new, including the seats. We also had the second gen City in our extended family for almost a decade. That car also held up very nicely.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 20:28   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Love the EcoSport seats! Found them to be extremely supportive (although heavier folk might feel they're too tight):
I can vouch for that after driving nearly 50K on my Ecosport. The height adjustment along with lumbar support, armrest and telescopic steering makes it easy to find the perfect position with optimal comfort. The firmer seat compound is better for those long distance drives
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 23:50   #41
BHPian

My pick would be Mercedes in sedans, they are truly the leader in all segments be it the C, E or S. SUV's are a different story and I agree the bolstering that X5 offers is certainly very good but the new Q7 is also very comfortable for long journeys thanks to the recliner function it has.
Old 15th June 2017, 00:15   #42
BANNED

Under 10 lacs I believe Ford EcoSport offers the best front seats, thanks to the higher seating position and nice bolstering and under thigh support. and it becomes better if you have the top end with the Lumbar support. I introduced that to my dad and he was in love! LOL but the backseat is only strictly okay, would have liked better underthigh support.

Meanwhile in C segment sedans I like the City a lot, infact since its 2nd gen(I mean the NHC) the bolstering and underthigh has been on point for both front and rear seat. What also helped in the NHC was that it wasn't as low as previous gen so I found it more comfy. The newer gens are not that high though.

Above that the captain seats in any UV are brilliant, but if they're flat they end up giving lower back pain.

I haven't tried any German cars with the extendable underthigh support, I believe that would offer a great comfort over longer drives, since that is pretty much my only complaint , even in ecosport since I tend to slouch a bit.
Old 15th June 2017, 00:40   #43
BHPian

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Fiat Grande Punto yet. The 2009 model I owned earlier had the best front seats by far among the cars I have owned till date ('99 Santro, '07 i10, 2012 Fabia, 2015 Rapid and 2016 Grand i10). Ofcourse the ergonomics are screwed but once you find the right position of the seat and steering heights, you can go on munching miles at a stretch.

I have driven from Ahmedabad to Pune and back on my Punto quite a few times and trust me I never felt fatigued driving continuously for 10 hours. On the contrary, the regular Pune - Mumbai runs seem tiring on my Grand i10. Those 2.5 hours are more than enough and I seriously feel the need to take a break.

Grand i10 front seats feel a bit cramped compared to the awesome and wide seats of the Punto especially for a heavier built person like me. The Rapid seats too feel a bit short on wideness and thigh support front. I cannot comment about the newer Puntos though, if they have made any changes which I am unaware about.

Among the luxury class, I had a little driving stint on the Mercedes Maybach S500, and the front seats were out of this world. I have sat in quite a few premium manufacturer cars, but the Maybach's seats win the competition hands down with its myriad features and levels of adjustment.
Old 15th June 2017, 03:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Comments are for drivers seat only, segment wise. I've not been in every single car so this is only for the one's I have experienced.

A : Don't know
B1 : Tata Tiago
B2 : Hyundai i20
C1 : Tata Zest
C2 : Ford Fiesta & Ecosport, Hyundai Creta
D1 : Mahindra XUV5OO, Hyundai Elantra, Honda Civic.
D2 : VW Jetta
MPV : Toyota Innova

I don't have much experience at the other end of the spectrum. Among ze Germans, nothing beats BMW and Volvo sure know how to pamper the driver.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th June 2017 at 03:47.
Old 15th June 2017, 06:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Love the EcoSport seats! Found them to be extremely supportive (although heavier folk might feel they're too tight):
Yes, the front seats are good. It has lumbar adjustment (can be seen in the pic) which is missing in the Fiesta. The only problem is the seat cover in the Titanium+ variant. Its not fabric like in the Fiesta. Artificial leather isn't comfortable for long journeys and also covers the fine contours of a seat. And the latter makes a bit of difference for a guy with petite frame. Doesn't give that snug fit which I crave.

It was artificial leather spoiling the experience in Hexa too. Otherwise, the shape and build of the seat is one of the best in business for both first and second row.

Artificial leather looks good, is easier to clean and is less costly, but that's about it. It better be high quality fabric or real leather for it to be a good seat.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks