Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2017, 13:24   #76
BHPian

Re: Which car has the best seats?

Yes, so now the important question for the owners of poor seat cars is how to improve the seat comfort? I don't think its prudent to change a car for a single, albeit important, comfort. This has got me interested because I won't be changing either my Alto or Nano, though I am planning either a new Aspire/Ecosport or used Innova. How do I improve the seat comfort of these two little monsters that I already have?

Seat cushioning can be improved one way or other. Can the suspension be improved at all is the other more important question? Any insights!
Old 19th June 2017, 13:29   #77
Senior - BHPian

Bead curtain for the seat. And a neck pillow, lumbar support. Buy the best available brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
Yes, so now the important question for the owners of poor seat cars is how to improve the seat comfort? I don't think its prudent to change a car for a single, albeit important, comfort. This has got me interested because I won't be changing either my Alto or Nano, though I am planning either a new Aspire/Ecosport or used Innova. How do I improve the seat comfort of these two little monsters that I already have?

Seat cushioning can be improved one way or other. Can the suspension be improved at all is the other more important question? Any insights!
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 15:26   #78
BHPian

Seat cushioning plays such an important factor in making the seats feel comfortable, yet in my experience it’s not only the make or model of the car, but the act of sitting (posture) behind the wheels makes the seating comfortable or problematic. Interestingly, we often see people saying, ‘It’s bad in my car, but when I drive some other vehicle I don’t get any problems’; It is also to do with the height of the passenger’s and the model they drive making it a feel good or feel excellent factor. This is often the case with someone driving an SUV with an elevated seating and another a car with lower seating arrangement.

If we look at the some of the common problems usually people driving long hours complain are of lower back pain, sciatica and/or a stiff neck. Seat comfort is best achieved with the correct distribution of weight and support for the body and the ability to make adjustments whenever you feel to change position.. So it’s important to fine tune your driving position to suit your bodyshape.

That’s where I feel, seats with good thigh support play an important comfort factor in long drives, both, in rear and front seat positions; Long drives, I mean min 400+ kms.. that’s where you will be able to make out the difference; Correct sitting posture is to push your bottom as near as possible to the backrest.. I am close to 6 feet and I feel people of that height feel more comfortable in an innova, duster or creta as compared to a brezza which has comparatively smaller thigh support; cars like honda city has better thigh support in comparison to its counterpart ciaz ;
STraiTDriVE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 17:43   #79
BANNED

For long drives one can not deny the fact that SUV seating arrangement is way better than sedans. I feel one can do lot of movement and adjustment of your body in SUV. I have personally noticed this in my Safari Dicor & New Endeavour vs Accord & Etios. In short trips you will hardly feel any difference but on long highway trips you will definitely feel stiffness in joints.

My mother always complain while travelling in Accord vs Safari as she got her knee replaced sometime back. Ingress and egress is much easier in SUV's where you have to slide in and out. Hence our new car was also a SUV despite of the fact we already had one. For me a big no to sedans if you spend more time in car. For short commutes nothing matters.
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:40   #80
BHPian

I have owned a Zen Lx, Swift Dezire, Skoda Laura Elegance and now Innova Crysta. Also in the process of test driving and selecting cars I have tried Fords Endeavor, Hyundai Santa Fe, Skoda Superb, VW jetta and Audi Q3 etc. As for driver seat, Laura was the best followed by Innova Crysta. As far as rear seats are concerned my wife and kids rate Innova Crysta the best and Laura next. I distinctly remember, however, my wife disliking the VW Jetta's back seat this time as it was sort of concave at center with raised peripheries giving poor support. Creta had low seating position and we couldn't look out. Same with Santa Fe at back.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd June 2017 at 20:58. Reason: Punctuation
Old 5th July 2017, 14:35   #81
BHPian

The most comfortable seats I have ever come across are BMW seats. Compare their seats across other premium and luxury manufacturers and they come out tops segment to segment. Sometimes across segments as well.

The 3-series has lesser leg room than a superb, but its seats are more supportive and comfortable. Even the 5 series (older one, I haven't seen the new one yet, but I'm sure its the same case) give the Mercedes S class a run for its money on those criteria.
Old 5th July 2017, 19:45   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
Tata Hexa : They are XXL in size, very well countered and have excellent side and shoulder support. The seat compound, whatever they have used, just works. Plus, adjustable lumbar support rocks!
Add that to the huge space, sun blinds, excellent ride quality and chiller of an AC, and you have a car with genuine A+ comfort levels. My dad has forgot the level of comfort offered by my Uno and this now is his benchmark when it comes of Seat Comfort. Myself and my dad rate it a full 10/10.
There seems to be universal praise for the Tata Hexa's comfort levels. Is there something similar in a smaller 4.4m vehicle minus the third row of seats?
Old 5th July 2017, 21:05   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
There seems to be universal praise for the Tata Hexa's comfort levels. Is there something similar in a smaller 4.4m vehicle minus the third row of seats?
I've experienced the rear seat of the Zest on the D-day of the Hexa as folks from Tata came to pick us up from our residence for the delivery. I've experienced the back seat then and I feel that it really is a good rear seat and has good amount of space on the inside despite being a sub 4m sedan and I would rate it a good 10/10 considering the segment and I haven't experienced the rear seat of the Tigor(though I sat in the display car in the showroom and was good enough as per my limited experience).

Varun
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 18:53   #84
BHPian

This topic is very subjective and factors affecting the same are the person's body built, traveling duration, price of the car, road condition e.t.c

For a guy who is recovering from an acute Sciatica due to Disc Prolapse (L5-S1)this is indeed a very relevant topic. I am a 6 footer blessed with ample love handles adding to over a quintal of body weight. I learnt the importance of seat comfort the painful way.

My treatment days gave me a rare opportunity to check out the rear seats of my car and few others.
My previous Dzire had good seats(front) when new. But over time and compressive force of my modest rear-end sank the seat base and the OEM seat design geometry went for a toss thus resulting in poor lumbar support . With an average of 80kms of driving a day my lower back pain aggravated. The rear seats of my Dzire('12) were no good.

I was impressed by the '14 indigo CS that picked me from my hospital which has very good rear seats and a pretty cushy ride.

My '15 Baleno was lower, had poor thigh support and stiff ride. But the front seats are very good on the Baleno.

But even with the weak lumbar, i found the seats of my relatives XUV to be supremely comfortable. The rear seats of my Brother's SX4 are great too.

Amongst small cars I just love the AStar. Great seats in the front and rear. The only small car with adequate thigh support especially in the rear.

I never found the swift seats to be great. Especially the first gen Swift wasn't comfortable for me for more than couple of hours.

Must add that Toyota Innova seats remain supportive even after much use. Sat in a car done over 2 lakh Kms on OE Seats.

Next time I buy a car this would be on the top priorities for me. And i urge that fellow tbhpians who take the subject for granted to please rethink. A bad back can severely pollute the quality of life you enjoy.
sureshkishore is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks