Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2018, 14:54   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: All-new BMW 6-Series GT (1st time ever)

BMW India today announced the launch of diesel variant of the 6 Series GT. Two trims are on offer – BMW 630d Gran Turismo Luxury Line and BMW 630d Gran Turismo M Sport. Price Rs 66.5 lakhs and Rs 73.7 lakhs respectively, ex-showroom. Price of the petrol BMW 630i Gran Turismo Luxury Line is Rs 61.8 lakhs, ex-showroom.

https://www.rushlane.com/2018-bmw-6-...-12244424.html

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...50-lakh-408762

74 Lac for a little longer and uglier variant of 5 series

I cannot stop thinking about the rebates coming on 2018 models in December or Early next year. At these prices, E-Class is a no-brainer and suddenly 530-D is looking so competitive.

Perhaps, Discount is a synonym for BMW in India

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st June 2018 at 15:06.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 15:13   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I cannot stop thinking about the rebates coming on 2018 models in December or Early next year. At these prices, E-Class is a no-brainer and suddenly 530-D is looking so competitive.

Perhaps, Discount is a synonym for BMW in India
I took a TD of the 630D GT M-Sport this past weekend, and was quite impressed with the car overall, especially compared to the E Class & 5 series.
Firstly, let's get one thing out of the way - this isn't as driver focussed as the 530D and is designed for the rear seat experience - an area in which the 5 series is strictly average.
If you are going to be driven - the 5 series is most likely out of consideration anyways (unless size constraints / budget constraints / other reasons like you only sit in the front) and the market seems to agree looking at the stellar sales of the E Class compared to the 5 series.

Now, coming to the 6GT v/s E Class:

1) Interiors of the 6GT were much nicer in terms of design and material (leather, in brown looks fab!). It's a younger design undoubtedly compared to the E Class but it is what I would pick though many may prefer the more stately E Class.

2) The E trumps the 6GT as far as rear seat legroom & experience is concerned. For an average height person, the E Class is simply amazing especially with the recline feature.

3) However, in terms of overall comfort, I (6'2") found the 6GT rear seats to provide better under thigh support, and because they were placed higher - it was a whole lot more comfortable and easier to get in and out - important as people get older. Headroom was a non-issue as well.

4) The ride quality of the 6GT is amazing! I haven't driven the E350d with the air suspension to give a good comparison, but I wasn't impressed with the E200 I drove recently in the past. At city speeds you can feel a lot of disturbances seeping into the cabin though I'd expect it to flatten the expressways out.

5) No comment on handling as I wasn't able to push the 6GT much, but I don't expect it to be too bad.

Overall, I quite liked the 6GT compared to the E Class. My biggest concerns though are the design - unless you're paying a hefty premium for the M-Sport trim which looks good with the different alloys and the gray colour (exclusive to M-Sport), the basic sport/luxury line 6GT looks very sad! It doesn't appear premium at all in the colours being offered.

BMW needs to launch a 620D GT desperately. As a chauffeur driven car, the 6GT has a lot of potential to fight it out with the e220d (the most popular variant IMO) and if there was a 620D GT at the price of the 630i, I think there will be a few more takers (there is currently a 6L difference on the ex-showroom pricing between the 630i & 630d luxury line).

Until then, as a prospective buyer, I am happy to wait till year end for lucrative discounts in hopes of getting the 630D GT M-Sport within budget
lamborghini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 15:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If you are going to be driven - the 5 series is most likely out of consideration anyways (unless size constraints / budget constraints / other reasons like you only sit in the front) and the market seems to agree looking at the stellar sales of the E Class compared to the 5 series.
Also, don't forget that the E offers an L version for Indian and the Chinese market only which the 6GT does not have and will not have in the future either. So, I would guess that our Indian market will prefer the E over the 6 GT and the latter would remain to be a rare sight on our roads, ending up in the hands of people who know to appreciate it. This would be until the Merc decides to bring the CLS (new one) into our market.

Its no difference here in Germany either, the 6 GT is a rare sight in places other than Bayern. The CLS outsells the 6GT on the whole.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 18th July 2018 at 15:46.
AlphaKilo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 17:16   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Also, don't forget that the E offers an L version for Indian and the Chinese market only which the 6GT does not have and will not have in the future either. So, I would guess that our Indian market will prefer the E over the 6 GT and the latter would remain to be a rare sight on our roads, ending up in the hands of people who know to appreciate it. This would be until the Merc decides to bring the CLS (new one) into our market.

Its no difference here in Germany either, the 6 GT is a rare sight in places other than Bayern. The CLS outsells the 6GT on the whole.
Can't argue about that - the looks are the biggest drawback to the 6GT especially compared to the stately E Class, and sportier CLS.

However, in the Indian market place, the 3GT seems to have done quite well for it's combination of space, pricing, and comfort over it's rivals (though I believe the C Class is still the segment topper).
If BMW does launch a cheaper 6GT 20d, it could be a perfect upgrade for someone used to the 3GT - though the E LWB will still outsell the 5 series & 6GT combined, but it's tough to beat the overall package of the E Class for our markets (looks, legspace, branding - who needs anything more).
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 18:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Can't argue about that - the looks are the biggest drawback to the 6GT especially compared to the stately E Class, and sportier CLS.

However, in the Indian market place, the 3GT seems to have done quite well for it's combination of space, pricing, and comfort over it's rivals (though I believe the C Class is still the segment topper).
If BMW does launch a cheaper 6GT 20d, it could be a perfect upgrade for someone used to the 3GT - though the E LWB will still outsell the 5 series & 6GT combined, but it's tough to beat the overall package of the E Class for our markets (looks, legspace, branding - who needs anything more).
True that! Somehow the market (Asian) prefers the stately E-class/S-Class (now that both of them look more or less the same), rather than the 5/6 GT or even the A7/A8/A6. Looking at the sheer numbers, it seems that Audi A7 outsells the 6GT and is only marginally behind the CLS. The major sales for Audi comes from the corporate world (in Germany) and the CLS buyers are mostly private enthusiasts. This is where a sporty GT (the earlier 6 coupe and cabrio) is sorely a selling point missed by BMW. This point is proven by looking at the sales numbers of 4 GT and the Audi A5 or CLA. One category above, there is no car from BMW and if one needs something like this then only a Merc or Audi (or a VW Arteon) are the options.

They surely would have done their market study but I still feel the earlier 6 coupe was a much sportier and better selling car than the 6GT, which incidentally also has increased the average age of a 6 series buyer. BMW is slowly becoming the olden days Mercedes.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 19th July 2018 at 18:59.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 22:38   #36
BHPian

So does anyone know the ground clearance of the 6GT is by default and how much can it be raised by?
Does the GT have a spare or is it like the E class where the donut is dropped in the boot?
Also any insight on how much the ground clearance of the E class is ?
Cheers
Old 4th August 2018, 00:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Does MSport version GTs always come without MSport suspensions?

Those large nostrils are not to my liking.

But I feel it makes practical sense for a family, even though looks bulky as a sports car.
Old 4th August 2018, 17:48   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Does MSport version GTs always come without MSport suspensions?

But I feel it makes practical sense for a family, even though looks bulky as a sports car.
Honestly, this is not a sports car but a grand tourer. It's effectively a more practical 5 series, just as the 3GT is a more practical 3 series.

I don't think the M-Sport comes with the M-Sport suspension. Just the kit + alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphin1 View Post
So does anyone know the ground clearance of the 6GT is by default and how much can it be raised by?
Does the GT have a spare or is it like the E class where the donut is dropped in the boot?
Also any insight on how much the ground clearance of the E class is ?
Cheers
Not sure of the GC of the GT except it supposedly is higher up than the 5 series. With the air suspension, it can be increased by a further 20mm.
The trunk is like the E Class with the space saver taking up valuable space.

Regarding the E class, I am not sure of the exact numbers, but the E class comes with standard suspension (E200/220d) that rides a little higher than the E350d with the air suspension (which can be increased as needed).
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 17:33   #39
BHPian

All-new BMW 6-Series GT (1st time ever)

Looks are subjective. I personally love the way the car looks: even the rear 3 quarters stance especially in M-Sport trim. Agree in other trims it looks rather bland and bulky : Mainly cause of small alloys.

That aside, what a car, what a car it is to drive! Drove the 630d M-sport for 40 minutes as part of the test drive. I'm floored. The modes are great, they transform the car to such extent that you feel you are driving a completely different car in different modes ( the dials change further aid that perspective) . I can now understand the reason for the soft touch headrests, in sport + it's a mental car. It will shove your head backward with just aggression that your head can hurt if the pillow is missing ��. It doesn't bob around like the E class.

I second Lamborghinis view when comparing it to the E. It's spot on.

Will be able to share further details when this beast comes home!

Last edited by ajmat : 18th August 2018 at 08:58. Reason: typos
Blackbolt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 00:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
Will be able to share further details when this beast comes home!
Hi Blackbolt,

Appreciate if you can share ex showroom price you have got, if any deals / discounts from BMW India or Dealer.

Cheers,
Sail
Old 18th August 2018, 07:38   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Hi Blackbolt,

Appreciate if you can share ex showroom price you have got, if any deals / discounts from BMW India or Dealer.

Cheers,
Sail

Discounts are hard to come by as this is a new generation car. Also BMW India has cracked down hard on discounts being offered, apparently the Sales Advisors have a penalty of 5 lacs if they are caught giving discounts on the new gen cars. After a week of negotiations on overall package ( Car+ zero dep insurance + 5 year BSI +RI) I was able to get couple of lacs in discount. Which generally translates into inflated insurance premium rationalisation and some financing commission being passed on.

Cheers.
Blackbolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 22:32   #42
BHPian

Quick update : The 630d M sport (Falcon) came home over a month back. It's not been driven much as the driver isn't trusted with it much, rather he is nervous of driving it; he feels it's too hi tech compared to our A6. I haven't had the opportunity to take it out much. Given that is kept parked rodent treatment from 3M was done.

It is a perfect match for us given our requirements. Brother would be chauffeur driven during weekdays hence ample leg space behind keeps him happy. I would be taking the car on weekends and long trips so 3L inline straight 6 keeps me happy. It has high seating position and great seats for my parents who are senior citizens so it's comfortable for them.

Some quick first impression notes

Pros:
-Ride quality
-Engine
-Seat comfort
-Commanding view
-360 degree camera
-Soft touch door close
-clear instrument cluster
-I drive easy to navigate
-HUD

Cons:
-Apple car play doesn't support screen share : How Stupid as the car doesn't even support android. So we have to keep an android device in the car for watching things on the infotainment at the back. I can't get over this point.
- spare wheel blocks the loading area. It has run flat tyres but how difficult is to fit a spare in the space below. It's been designed to be down there for donkeys years whats the issue in design now what's taken it's place ?

Overall it's a great car.

Cheers!
Blackbolt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:58   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is a perfect match for us given our requirements. Brother would be chauffeur driven during weekdays hence ample leg space behind keeps him happy. I would be taking the car on weekends and long trips so 3L inline straight 6 keeps me happy. It has high seating position and great seats for my parents who are senior citizens so it's comfortable for them.
Congratulations!

Coming from an A6 - I am really interested to have your observations on the car in terms of ride & handling. We have an A6 as well, and have been mulling whether to replace it, and the 6GT is near perfect for our requirements for the exact reasons you've pointed out.
Waiting to hear your (and your drivers) thoughts as you put on more kms!
Old 3rd October 2019, 16:34   #44
BHPian

All-new BMW 6-Series GT (1st time ever)

Thought I will update on the car; it's been an year and the car has just done 5k kms. But it has been an eventful year.

The car had an incident 3 months back. The length of the car is difficult to gauge as it wraps around you when you drive it but it's bonnet length is huge. This coupled by the gate pillar structure which was narrow on top and fat at the bottom; was missed by me while talking a turn into my friends building. Got to experience the BMW service and I must say I was impressed. They took care of insurance and gave the car back within a week.
Attachment 1920044

With one year on the car was due for service and the engine oil light kept on popping up. I had a tough time getting an appointment for the service thanks to the flooded Mumbai cars resting in their service centre in Andheri. To make matters worse driver managed a bulge on the RFT ( posted in the tyre section) I had to convince them to take my car in earlier and service it at the same time.

Attachment 1920043
Car did a couple of long rides to Satara and Pawna; here are some impressions

+ Gem of an engine ( tone of the engine at high revs)
+ leg space and space in general is great.
+ panoramic sunroof
+ Nappa leather feels like it can stand the test of time with thick feel.
+ adaptive suspension ( raise car function used often to avoid the car from scraping on bad roads)
+ NVH levels amazing (quiet ride)
+ 16 way adjustable seat + motorised steering adjustment. Just fabulous, when driving hard I can actually get the seat to hug me tight!

Dislikes :
- wish the steering had more feedback and weighted more at high speed at least in sport mode.
- donut spare wheel placement, hate it, eats into the boot space.
- apple car play doesn't screen mirror iPhones ; rear infotainment system screens useless ( thought the CD player was blue ray but it's doesn't read blue ray cds)
- paired one phone want change the phone paring, system is very buggy. At times had to switch the car off to make the paring work.
- sunroof had an issue it used to coil back 1/4 way on one touch closing (This was fixed asap by the SA by just resetting it by keeping the button pressed and it opening and closing once completely)
- RFT incidence doesn't instill confidence for long drives (plus with 19" the ride is harsh)

BMW needs to increase their service network. They have sold a ton of X1s and they just do not have the capability to service them. Appointments are available post 3 weeks and I don't think this is a one off due to floods instance of Mumbai.

Overall, I just love the product. I wouldn't have choosen any other car. It's many cars in one with some sacrifices in the handling department. But I look forward to taking it out on every instance. Taking the car to Saputara this weekend. Will keep you guys posted.

Cheers.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th October 2019 at 17:58. Reason: Check PM for pictures please. Thanks!
Blackbolt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 14:24   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers.
Were you able to get any good discounts on this model?
I'm contemplating both the 5 and this, and might go for whichever one offers a better deal. Given the current market scenario, I'm optimistic about discounts.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th October 2019 at 17:52. Reason: Quote trimmed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks