Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2017, 16:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford India recalls over 39,000 units of Figo & Fiesta Classic

Ford India has issued a recall for the previous-gen Figo and Fiesta Classic over a probable fault in the high-pressure power assisted steering (or PAS) hose. A total of 39,315 cars manufactured between 2004 and 2012 have been affected.

According to an official announcement by Ford, a potential fault in the hose can result in a power steering fluid leak, which can then cause fumes in the engine compartment. The fluid can also come in contact with the vehicle's exhaust system components, which can lead to smoke or even a vehicle fire.

Owners of the affected vehicles will be contacted by the company and dealerships directly. The faulty steering hose will be replaced on all affected cars. This inspection and replacement will be free of charge for the customers.

Ford India recalls over 39,000 units of Figo & Fiesta Classic-ford_figo_03.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 24th June 2017 at 16:17.
dZired is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 16:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Ford India recalls over 39,000 units of Figo & Fiesta Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Ford India has issued a recall for the previous-gen Figo and Fiesta Classic over a probable fault in the high-pressure power assisted steering (or PAS) hose. A total of 39,315 cars manufactured between 2004 and 2012 have been affected.

Using the defective part for 8 Years and five on top of that to issue a recall?!
Very irresponsible on the part of Team Ford India.
Old 24th June 2017, 17:21   #3
BHPian

Just a question : Many of these Figos and Fiestas would be in the hands of 2nd or 3rd owners. How would the dealership / company get in touch with these owners? Would they be sourcing data from the RTOs?
Old 24th June 2017, 17:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
Just a question : Many of these Figos and Fiestas would be in the hands of 2nd or 3rd owners. How would the dealership / company get in touch with these owners? Would they be sourcing data from the RTOs?

If the second owner of the car is using the official service channels, then they would have the info on the file. I don't think they would use the RTO sources to find the updated information.

The recall is widely announced in news papers and they can check if there is a service advisory for their car in the ford online website - https://www.india.ford.com/owner/field-service-actions/

If they fail for both of these, the service adviser would inform them about the recall in the next scheduled maintenance.

If they are no longer using the official service channels, then these cars would be out there running around as usual. The unsuspecting owners thinking that they might have just had a wear and tear issue in their power steering, if the issue resurfaces. In which case they might take it to their FNG who may or may not advice them about the service recall.

I think that ford is doing a good thing with extending the service recall to all other affected vehicles. Read about the first recall here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...am-recall.html . I would prefer a manufacturer who would recall a defective product rather than manufacturers who choose to ignore the problem. Ford is going a long way in bringing the trust back to the Indian market.

Last edited by govigov : 24th June 2017 at 17:55.
govigov is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 22:23   #5
BHPian

Ford India recalls over 39,000 units of Figo & Fiesta Classic

I had been to Metro Ford last month for a problem with my car, while waiting for the service advisor a Fiesta 1.6 rolled in smoking from the bonnet and once the bonnet was opened there was a fire inside.

Immediately everyone ran with fire extinguishers and put out the fire and then when we looked inside, the power steering hose was melted and the area around it was damaged badly.

The car had TeamBHP stickers on it and I immediately asked the owner about what happened and he told he was driving to work and suddenly noticed smoke and drew straight to the workshop.

He was very very lucky to escape major mishap.

I just checked my VIN and it's part of the recall, must immediately get it changed having seen the effects of the problem with my own eyes.

I urge all other owners not to postpone getting it changed.

Last edited by anandtheleo : 24th June 2017 at 22:24.
anandtheleo is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 14:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think they will be sourcing data from the RTOs. A newspaper ad will be much more effective.
Service centers also plays an important part in informing used car owners about recalls.
Vishid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 11:14   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
Using the defective part for 8 Years and five on top of that to issue a recall?!
Better late than never. Sometimes, it may take longer to detect a defective part - this particular failure could happen only on old cars. I'd say it's very responsible of Ford to even care about their old cars.

Quote:
Many of these Figos and Fiestas would be in the hands of 2nd or 3rd owners. How would the dealership / company get in touch with these owners?
Very tricky. The hit rate with recalls on old cars is around 20% from what I've read. Anything over that is down to manufacturer & dealer efforts. Of course, the kind of recall also makes a difference - if it's a serious issue, more owners will come forward. What might also affect the hit rate is the kind of customer; if a model predominantly has personal buyers, the recall might get a better response than cab owners who aren't too keen to come in (remember the Tavera recall?).

The manufacturer will typically use ads, its service network, the official website and media like Team-BHP to spread the word.

Last edited by GTO : 26th June 2017 at 11:29.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 18:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

I had a 2010 Ford Figo, sold in 2014. I remember that when I had the car there was a recall for 2 parts - PAS (power assisted steering) and RTB (Rear torsion beam). Mine being diesel, only the RTB, a rear suspension part was required to be replaced. PAS needed to be replaced in petrol cars only due to the exhaust routing. Maybe this is a followup to that recall.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th June 2017 at 10:38. Reason: expanding acronyms
Old 27th June 2017, 09:27   #9
BHPian

I have a Fiesta Classic 2011 Diesel. About 2 years back, while at service they detected a leak on the power steering fluid hose. This was then replaced. Though it was out of warranty by 2 months, Ford India extended a goodwill warranty on the part.
Now when I checked, my VIN is not listed as part of the FSA. Are diesel vehicles affected?
Old 27th June 2017, 13:13   #10
BHPian

Good from Ford to proactively do this. It's better to replace than have a potential lawsuit on your hand!

I had a sigh of relief when I checked my VIN online and did not find such a recall for my car. I have a 2013 Diesel. Someone here who is part of the recall might be better placed to explain?

Last edited by pratyush6 : 27th June 2017 at 13:15.
Old 30th June 2017, 13:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
Very irresponsible on the part of Team Ford India.
This isn't the first time they've had a power steering recall!

2009) Ford India orders inspection of power steering of all petrol Fiestas

2011) Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall

My Fiesta 1.6 had the problem where the hose would crack and then smoke would start coming out from near the wipers. Cost Rs. 8,000 to replace that pipe (circa 2008). Had to do it twice!

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th June 2017 at 13:23.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 20:59   #12
BHPian

I used to drive a 2005 Ford ikon and I faced this issue at 30k KM's. I paid about 35k in 2008 to get this issue fixed. I don't own the vehicle now and I'm sure Ford ikons were also affected. Anyone faced similar issue?
Old 2nd July 2017, 13:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artrocious View Post
I used to drive a 2005 Ford ikon and I faced this issue at 30k KM's. I paid about 35k in 2008 to get this issue fixed. I don't own the vehicle now and I'm sure Ford ikons were also affected. Anyone faced similar issue?
I specifically asked the S.A. on Vibrant Ford yesterday if petrol Ikons were also part of the recall. He said it was limited to petrol Fiestas and Figos.

Compared to Rehaan's experience, I guess I was twice lucky, as I was not charged in either replacement: one in 2011 and one yesterday.
Old 4th July 2017, 08:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I specifically asked the S.A. on Vibrant Ford yesterday if petrol Ikons were also part of the recall. He said it was limited to petrol Fiestas and Figos.

Compared to Rehaan's experience, I guess I was twice lucky, as I was not charged in either replacement: one in 2011 and one yesterday.
@vnabhi, how long did it take for the replacement?
Old 4th July 2017, 10:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaahanYogi View Post
@vnabhi, how long did it take for the replacement?
I got the car at 6 PM. Had dropped it around noon.

Most Viewed