Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 18:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Honda Amaze to debut in 2018

Will the Amaze be built on a new platform, or will it continue to use the same platform as the current car?

The CS game has moved forward and the Amaze is the oldest and most outdated car in its segment currently. The current gen was about catching up with the Dzire. I hope they push the envelope this time around.

Also I hope they've realised that if I want a Maruti, I'll buy it from Maruti and not Honda.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 28th November 2017 at 18:06.
Old 28th November 2017, 18:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Will the engine capacity be free, since the 1200cc or less leading to Excise benefits is now history.
I think it is still very much in place for <4m cars.
Old 28th November 2017, 19:41   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Will the Amaze be built on a new platform, or will it continue to use the same platform as the current car?
Same platform, with dimensions being more or less the same. Length will duck under the 4 meter mark, as before. Same engines, too, with an automatic option.

But, the new Amaze will be more spacious, plush, contemporary and modern inside out. According to ACI:

Quote:
The second-generation Amaze sedan will be plusher than the current car, Honda officials involved with its development have disclosed to Autocar India. Honda is aiming for an altogether more upmarket look and feel for the new Amaze. Expect to see a more sophisticated dashboard design and higher quality materials in the cabin.
What’s more, Honda will also enhance cabin room vis-à-vis the current model. We understand the carmaker is aiming to increase width, which would make the rear seat comfier to sit three abreast. As it is, the current Amaze is among the most spacious of compact sedans. More room would give it a serious edge over direct rivals and even some pricier mid-size sedans.
The new compact sedan will borrow many styling cues from the larger City sedan. A chrome-rich grille, angular headlights and sharper detailing are expected, and should make the Amaze look quite sleek.
Next-gen Honda Amaze to debut in 2018-hondaamaze2018render.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 20:05   #19
BHPian

I guess the Amaze now is the erstwhile 3rd Gen City (ZX) and City now is the erstwhile Civic in terms of design...If Honda manages to retain the look as shown in the ACI Mag, I believe it can cut into Dzire's Top line. Are there any updates in terms of the engine refinement for the Diesel pot? IMO that's much needed and the current one falls short of the Dzire on that area. Meanwhile an improved cabin is always welcome. If it could match the elite 120 levels then its sure to get heads turning...
Sabrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 20:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

What kept me away from Amaze is the dreaded hydrolock issue. How would one drive in heavy rains? The diesel clatter was very high as well. The petrol did not have the butter smooth feel of a standard VTECH. DZIRE scored on every parameter but lost out to a compact SUV in the end. I believe that segment is hot right now!
Old 29th November 2017, 00:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
J

Well said! 2 decades back, Honda was a technological leader. They have nothing path-breaking to offer today - no direct-injection petrols (like the VW Polo), no dual-clutch ATs, no hybrids (or even the lame SHVS), no nothing. As sweet as their engines are, they're still flogging the same old Vtec technology. And lest we forget, it took them years before launching a diesel engine.
Well put - The same iVTec petrol engines for almost a decade now. And that noisy tractor like 100bhp diesel engine. The competition diesel in the form of the Verna is almost a generation ahead in terms of refinement and leagues ahead in terms of power. Real shame to think about the same diesel engine making it to the Honda City
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 16:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Autocar says the new Amaze will make its global debut at the Auto Expo 2018. Here's a new render from Carblogindia. People are saying the new Amaze would look a lot like the new City to benefit from the latter's aspirational value. Makes sense IMHO.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Honda Amaze to debut in 2018-0_578_872_0_100_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20180104070433_amaze_rendering.jpg  

Next-gen Honda Amaze to debut in 2018-new2016hondaamazefacelift.jpg  

Next-gen Honda Amaze to debut in 2018-2018hondaamazefacelift.jpg  

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 5th January 2018 at 16:45. Reason: Attaching another image
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 16:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

Honda is not happy keeping a similar interior in all the cars - Brio/Amaze/Jazz/WR-V/BRV/City, now they want a similar face across the board too? I think only two faces will remain, a butch face for BRV/WRV one, a sleek one for City/Jazz/new Amaze/Brio. Then it is simply mixing and stretching of car parts.

Last edited by ani_meher : 5th January 2018 at 16:50.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 18:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Well put - The same iVTec petrol engines for almost a decade now. And that noisy tractor like 100bhp diesel engine. The competition diesel in the form of the Verna is almost a generation ahead in terms of refinement and leagues ahead in terms of power. Real shame to think about the same diesel engine making it to the Honda City
Firstly, why change anything that isn't bad. I-Vtec is a gem of an engine and performs excellently. Not sure why you term Honda diesels as tractors but being a proud owner of both the diesel mills(1.3 DDIS in my Ritz VDI & I-Dtec in my Mobilio-S version), i can safely say that Maruti is way more noisy than the Honda. Just in case u need a comparative video, i can also provide you the same. Honda has done 50000 kms in 2.5 years and Maruti has done 74000 in 6 years and 4 months. Definitely, the benefit of a bigger turbocharger in Maruti help it retain better pickup. But Mobilio behaves like a highway cruiser. Having covered non-stop long distances, i can safely bet on that. The fuel efficient and pocket friendly Honda does its duty much better any day. One simple proof is that my elder parents never complain after a long drive in Honda.

Had an opportunity of discussing the same with some Maruti technicians and they admitted to the fact that Maruti is costlier now in terms of service and ownership as compared to Honda. Also the quality has drastically deteriorated due to cost cutting over years. He himself purchased a Jazz now wheras previously he used to own a Baleno.

The new facelift will definitely make a dent in Maruti numbers. Imagine people buying something like a Honda city for the price of an Amaze. If the world is doing mix-match stuff and selling cars(Maruti has similar looking Alto cars/VW group-polo & vento/All audi sedans resemble from front/All BMW resemble from front/All mercedez resemble from front), then why should Honda be proactive and try to do something new.

Definitely, Hyundai diesels are way better than Either Maruti or Honda anyday.
su1978 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th January 2018, 19:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

It will be a task for Honda to get good numbers with the new Amaze. In the Indian car market, it is very difficult to get perceptions corrected by refreshing car models over the years if the first one is bad. Look at Etios Platinum version, it is actually a very good sedan at a mouth watering price, but people stay away from her. Honda should have got the Amaze right in the first attempt itself. Lets see ...
Old 6th January 2018, 21:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Firstly, why change anything that isn't bad. I-Vtec is a gem of an engine and performs excellently. Not sure why you term Honda diesels as tractors but being a proud owner of both the diesel mills(1.3 DDIS in my Ritz VDI & I-Dtec in my Mobilio-S version), i can safely say that Maruti is way more noisy than the Honda. Just in case u need a comparative video, i can also provide you the same. .
Agree on the I-Vtec, might be old, but the 1.5 is still best in class, neither the 1.6 from Hyundai or the 1.4 from Maruti can hold against it (1.2 TSI definitely can).

The 1.5 oil burner was definitely a tractor when it was first launched in the City, but by the time it made its way into the Mobilio, its NVH level was highly improved, but still has room for improvement. I can say this as my cousin owns the first 1.5 City & a close friend has the newer WR-V.
Venkat_Figo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 23:30   #27
BHPian

A lot has been said about Honda Diesels. Honestly I believe its all based on bad first impression in 2013-14.

I recently drove a Maruti Baleno Diesel and Honda WRV diesel back to back, along with a friend, and we both felt Honda's NVH was better.

Again, don't go by my words, go have a back to back test drive yourself.
Jas21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 11:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas21 View Post
A lot has been said about Honda Diesels. Honestly I believe its all based on bad first impression in 2013-14.

I recently drove a Maruti Baleno Diesel and Honda WRV diesel back to back, along with a friend, and we both felt Honda's NVH was better.

Again, don't go by my words, go have a back to back test drive yourself.
You are right mate. Primarily, i feel that the hue and cry against the diesel engine of Honda is due to the fact that we have majority of Maruti users on board here. Everyone seems to have got into that comfort factor of where a car means a Maruti. And the company itself is taking an advantage of this position.

Comparing it with a Toyota, On my recent trip to Jaisalmer, while checking out at around 6 in the morning when it was very quiet everywhere, there was a Toyota Innova Crysta 2.4 which was warming up. Standing much closer to my car, i could not hear the clatter of my I-Dtec wheras the Toyota was at the top of its voice making it difficult to talk to my brother who was standing much closer to me.

Comparing the quality of parts and spares used in Honda and Maruti has a huge difference. Although i agree to the fact that Honda itself has downgraded itself by resorting to cost cutting(dashboard/seats etc), but it still is miles ahead of Maruti under the hood and other mechanical parts.

Also i 100% agree with you about the fact that one needs to check it out himself rather than agreeing to what we say.

Also not sure that with the launch of any new product, why we start comparing it with the so-called market leader. Every product is a new development in itself. Suggest we shed the negative perspective and adopt a positive approach while judging any product.
su1978 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 12:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
The new facelift will definitely make a dent in Maruti numbers. Imagine people buying something like a Honda city for the price of an Amaze.
That's where the headache lies for Honda. This new generation may "downgrade" City and may force lot of buyers to buy Amaze instead of City. If you see the other Compact Sedans, Dzire or Xcent are different from their bigger siblings so that both do not cannibalize each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
It will be a task for Honda to get good numbers with the new Amaze. In the Indian car market, it is very difficult to get perceptions corrected by refreshing car models over the years if the first one is bad. Look at Etios Platinum version, it is actually a very good sedan at a mouth watering price, but people stay away from her. Honda should have got the Amaze right in the first attempt itself. Lets see ...
Yes, the perception matters a lot in the Indian Automotive scene. However, Amaze was second in the segment till mid of 2015, but the launches of Aspire/Ameo has pushed it behind Xcent and now the launch of Tigor has further dented its sales that it is almost on the verge of losing the 3rd spot to it in 2017. But, this new generation seems to be good and may help Amaze claim back the second spot in the compact sedan space, however like I said earlier it may cannibalize the sales of City, which is more important to Honda, which is already facing the heat from new Verna and upcoming Ciaz facelift.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 08:44   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

All New Amaze unveiled at the Auto Expo,

Next-gen Honda Amaze to debut in 2018-dvzs0wrvoaajoig.jpg

Next-gen Honda Amaze to debut in 2018-a3.jpg

Next-gen Honda Amaze to debut in 2018-cw.jpg

Next-gen Honda Amaze to debut in 2018-capture.jpg

Next-gen Honda Amaze to debut in 2018-a2.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th February 2018 at 09:03.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks