Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2017, 09:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Maruti successfully tests Ciaz 1.5L diesel

That is good news. Hope 1.5 L Diesel engine along with a good automatic transmission (not AMT) will make it to other Maruti models - S Cross, Brezza etc.
Old 5th July 2017, 10:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
This is good news. Though it will be better to know more about the parameters used for testing the 1.5 DDiS.

The important ones are the following I suppose.
1) Reliability
2) Efficiency
3) Cost
4) Performance
6) Emissions
5) NVH

The top three parameters are very important for Maruti. And the relation of some parameters in there is inversely proportional to the others. So, this is tough business.
I think considering why MSIL is going for a new (bigger) engine for Ciaz, point 4 is the most important this time.
Old 5th July 2017, 14:15   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's to replace the 1.3 diesel engine due to it not being able to meet the upcoming BS6 emission norms.

Maruti Suzuki's 1.5L diesel engine is expected to meet the BS6 emission norms which will re-power most of its existing portfolio.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 14:23   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki's to replace the 1.3 diesel engine due to it not being able to meet the upcoming BS6 emission norms.

Maruti Suzuki's 1.5L diesel engine is expected to meet the BS6 emission norms which will re-power most of its existing portfolio.

Link

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought the sole purpose was to get rid of that 'under-powered' tag.
Nevertheless, this is also going to help as low power is something that has kept many buyers away, especially when most direct competitors give much better performance. It'll be interesting to see what figures the 1.5 engine will churn out.
Old 5th July 2017, 14:36   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Link
There are Euro 6 versions of the 1.3 Multijet II available, so it should be able to clear BS6 easily in the Multijet II guise. However, not sure if Maruti has license for it, or whether FIAT is planning to upgrade to Multijet II for India.

That said, developing their own engines is definitely the better way out for MSIL.
Old 5th July 2017, 14:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

^^
Maruti 1.5 diesel engine with Euro6 norms will need additional DPF(Diesel Particulate Filter) or SCR(Selective Catalytic Reduction).
Surely it is going to be complex and expensive for the customer.
But, good for the environment.

Last edited by kpzen : 5th July 2017 at 14:49.
kpzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 16:19   #37

I was looking for Petrol AT CIAZ. For the price I was ok with interior fit/finish but I certainly could not tolerate under powered engine and 4 speed CVT.
If CIAZ is launched in something like 1.4 Booster jet along with 5/6 speed CVT, I would love to go for that.
Old 5th July 2017, 16:51   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragp2006 View Post
I was looking for Petrol AT CIAZ. For the price I was ok with interior fit/finish but I certainly could not tolerate under powered engine and 4 speed CVT.
If CIAZ is launched in something like 1.4 Booster jet along with 5/6 speed CVT, I would love to go for that.
Ciaz comes with a conventional torque converter automatic transmission and not a CVT.
Old 5th July 2017, 17:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The real fight between these two will start when Ciaz will get the 1.5 NA petrol / 1L Boosterjet engines. As I mentioned above, I feel they should go ahead with the 1L turbo and take the fight away from the 1.5 iVTec, rather than trying to play catchup with a 1.5 VVT.
Small capacity turbo petrol's haven't exactly clicked in India, have they. The Ford (Ecosport) and the Maruti (Baleno) haven't exactly set the charts on fire! It has huge turbo lag and a pain to drive in the city.
Old 5th July 2017, 17:17   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Small capacity turbo petrol's haven't exactly clicked in India, have they.
We can say that only once a reasonably priced small turbo petrol is launched in the market. Both the options you qouted above are very expensive compared to their regular variants.

This will change once the Boosterjet engine is produced in India, which will happen eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
It has huge turbo lag and a pain to drive in the city.
Boosterjet, especially in the tune it has on the Baleno RS has no significant lag producing its peak torque of 150Nm from 1700rpm onwards. Is the first point of the official review -

What you'll like:

• 1.0L Boosterjet engine with more power & torque. Minimal turbo lag = good driveability

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th July 2017 at 17:26.
Old 5th July 2017, 20:21   #41
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this dZired, Ciaz indeed deserved a better engine. Being such a good design I always pitied Ciazes every time I overtook one. If this is true I am sure Ciaz will be considered by enthusiasts too, and it will be a serious game changer if they can keep the price brackets intact.
Old 10th July 2017, 05:52   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

As per a source of mine, the 1.5L will come in Ciaz first followed by S-Cross and Brezza but that's towards the end of 2018, most probably with the Ciaz facelift. The same engine will see light in S-Cross and Brezza but after its used in Ciaz. Engine testing is already done and even test runs have started.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:55   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Many thanks to my birdie for sharing this info :

Maruti is testing 1.5 diesel engine in Ciaz with 6 speed Manual gearbox . This is all new transmission
Dr.Naren is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 11:11   #44
Senior - BHPian

That's good news. High time most of the Maruti models received a bump up in power.

I am assuming that bigger engines will also mean better build quality and stronger sheet metal, hopefully.

This could be Maruti's biggest hit or miss. If they can come anywhere to 80% of Hyundai's diesel mills it will be job done. Hope they are testing a conventional automatic transmission as well. As they move up the price chain they will need a good diesel auto.
Old 30th July 2017, 19:27   #45
BHPian

Maruti is surely thinking for some game changing plan. But in Japanese engineering, reliability comes at the cost of lack of innovation and we all know that Japanese cars are so much reliable that first locally manufactured Maruti 800 is still in running condition. As Maruti is trying for an innovation, reliability will be a concern for the targeted buyers as we have seen in the case of Celerio diesel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks