Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2017, 20:52   #46
BANNED

Re: Rumour: Maruti successfully tests Ciaz 1.5L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
We can say that only once a reasonably priced small turbo petrol is launched in the market. Both the options you qouted above are very expensive compared to their regular variants.
A few cracker Turbo petrols in "small cars" are the 1.2 TSI, 1.0 Boosterjet and the 1.0 Ecoboost.

Out of these, the TSI sells low because the Polo is overshadowed by many cars and its only the enthusiasts who are willing to pay a premium over the regular petrol. The Baleno boosterjet is a lesson in how not to price a car(More expensive than a diesel with more torque )

The only one left is the Ecoboost which is actually only about 30k over the regular 1.5 petrol. But it is clear that neither the market or Ford wants that engine in the base models, as it would jack up the figurative entry pricing. But the variants that did come with both engine options, ecoboost was selling well. Now its impossible to compare the price difference.

My 2 cents are, until the indian scene puts importance on power and low emissions, manufacturers will keep turbo petrols as a niche offering. You think an average 30 yr old lady cares whether her petrol car is a turbo or not?
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 22:20   #47
BHPian

A notable R&D milestone for MSIL was shoehorning the Peugeot sourced TUD5 in the ZEN back in 1998. Having owned the car I can vouch for its excellent drivability, reliability and economy. NVH though wasn't a strong point. Not that anyone bothered given the excellent fuel economy, and resale value.

The Celerio is a flop for sure. However that doesn't stop me from being amazed about how tractable a tiny two pot engine can be made. Once you get over the commercial vehicle sounding startup and idle the car is fun to drive. So MSIL R&D in my opinion shouldn't be written off.

One thing I almost take for granted from any new Maruti is the economy and drivability.
However refinement could be a hurdle. The Fiat 1.6 in the Scross is a strong motor however the refinement is long way from the one in the Creta. and I think this along with the high cost of importing the engine and gearbox would have prompted MSIL for developing one locally.

Hope MSIL R&D is able to deliver a silky smooth 120BHP 250NM motor.
Old 30th July 2017, 22:45   #48
BHPian

🙄
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
You think an average 30 yr old lady cares whether her petrol car is a turbo or not?
I hope no lady reads this. Otherwise Bhandari babu, god save you from wrath of motoring divas. B-)

Last edited by wanderhermit : 30th July 2017 at 22:46.
wanderhermit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 22:55   #49
BHPian

The 1.5L Diesel will make it's way into Dzire, Ciaz, S-Cross ( next generation), Brezza etc. Debut model would be Ciaz 2018 followed by Dzire. This is what my birdies say. The engine would be 100HP or so and quieter than the MJD. No news of a VGT option. The 1.3MJD would coexist.
Carma2017 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 10:39   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
The 1.5L Diesel will make it's way into Dzire, Ciaz, S-Cross ( next generation), Brezza etc. Debut model would be Ciaz 2018 followed by Dzire. This is what my birdies say. The engine would be 100HP or so and quieter than the MJD. No news of a VGT option. The 1.3MJD would coexist.
Thanks Carma2017. A 100 BHP engine with a fixed geometry turbocharger. A variable geometry turbocharger can take it closer to 115 bhp or 120 bhp but they will probably keep it for later.
Any news on the torque? Given the celerio diesel made 47 bhp and good amount of torque, it would not be unreasonable to expect 250 NM of torque in the 1.5 L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
The Celerio is a flop for sure. However that doesn't stop me from being amazed about how tractable a tiny two pot engine can be made. Once you get over the commercial vehicle sounding startup and idle the car is fun to drive. So MSIL R&D in my opinion shouldn't be written off.

One thing I almost take for granted from any new Maruti is the economy and drivability.
However refinement could be a hurdle. The Fiat 1.6 in the Scross is a strong motor however the refinement is long way from the one in the Creta. and I think this along with the high cost of importing the engine and gearbox would have prompted MSIL for developing one locally.

Hope MSIL R&D is able to deliver a silky smooth 120BHP 250NM motor.
Looks like it is a 100 BHP power engine with a fixed geometry turbocharger. 250 Nm seems given. With a VGT 115-120 bhp should be possible.

Agree with you that the 1.6 refinement is a long way away from the Hyundai. Great thing from Carma2017 (always reliable) post is that this is going to be quieter than the 1.3 MJD. Now that is a big jump in refinement from the Celerio
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 19:10   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Thanks Carma2017. A 100 BHP engine with a fixed geometry turbocharger. A variable geometry turbocharger can take it closer to 115 bhp or 120 bhp but they will probably keep it for later.
Any news on the torque? Given the celerio diesel made 47 bhp and good amount of torque, it would not be unreasonable to expect 250 NM of torque in the 1.5 L diesel
Given the numbers, they're clearly targeting the Honda 1.5 diesel. With that target in mind, I'd be surprised if they gave 250Nm torque with a FGT. The reasons being: a lower inertia turbo is preferable for urban drivability and a torque figure (speculated here) at the higher end of the spectrum will tell upon the longevity of the turbo and its parts. I don't think MSIL would risk their reputation, but play safe, as their competitor is happy to offer 200Nm.

My guess is 200 - 220 Nm for the FGT and much higher for the VGT if launched. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 31st July 2017 at 19:13.
Old 31st July 2017, 23:39   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Given the numbers, they're clearly targeting the Honda 1.5 diesel. With that target in mind, I'd be surprised if they gave 250Nm torque with a FGT. The reasons being: a lower inertia turbo is preferable for urban drivability and a torque figure (speculated here) at the higher end of the spectrum will tell upon the longevity of the turbo and its parts. I don't think MSIL would risk their reputation, but play safe, as their competitor is happy to offer 200Nm.

My guess is 200 - 220 Nm for the FGT and much higher for the VGT if launched. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though.
If you see diesel engines with FGT and VGT, VGT increase torque marginally by 5% or 7% and increases the bhp by 20%.
Consider Fiat 1.3 Multijet with FGT sold as DDiS 190 in Suzuki Maruti vehicles. It has 75 bhp power and 190Nm torque
Fiat 1.3 Multijet with VGT sold as DDiS 200 in Maruti Suzuki vehicles has 90bhp power and 200 Nm torque

So the torque will definitely be close to 250 Nm for a 1.5 Diesel engine
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 05:44   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you see diesel engines with FGT and VGT, VGT increase torque marginally by 5% or 7% and increases the bhp by 20%.
This is not necessarily so. The same 1.3 MJD can be tuned to output even 250Nm with a VGT and that's more than a marginal increase. Renault's 1.5 dCi outputs 67 bhp with a small FGT all the way to 110 bhp with a VGT. The final figures boil down to engine design and the size of the turbo and the increase can be marginal or exceptional as the case may be.

250Nm from a 1.5 diesel is at the higher end of the spectrum and hard to achieve with a FGT. Even if they did use a large FGT, it's gonna have a definite lag and that's gonna affect drivability. I'm sure MSIL would love to leave that 'turbolag' tag far behind with their new engine.

Quote:
So the torque will definitely be close to 250 Nm for a 1.5 Diesel engine
I reckon you missed my point. I don't deny it's feasibility, technically; but MSIL wouldn't launch it with such a tune is what I reckon after years of observing their conservative approach. Their 1.6 DDiS was the first performance diesel ever from their stable! And they have been in the diesel business for close to a decade. This being their first ever in-house diesel, I don't think they'd go the performance route right away but spec it conservatively, at least for the next few years.

Toyota is another example. For years, the last gen Innova had to make do with a detuned engine. With competition, Toyota have finally provided powerful engines. But that's not the case with MSIL's ballpark. It's only the Duster that outputs about 245Nm torque. Every other sedan or hatchback with a 1.5 diesel output far lesser. So why would MSIL jeopardise their own reputation? Again, I'd be very happy to be proved wrong. I want them to launch their diesel with 250Nm torque or more but I'm afraid that wouldn't be the case.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 1st August 2017 at 06:01.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 15:31   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
As per a source of mine, the 1.5L will come in Ciaz first followed by S-Cross and Brezza but that's towards the end of 2018, most probably with the Ciaz facelift. The same engine will see light in S-Cross and Brezza but after its used in Ciaz. Engine testing is already done and even test runs have started.
Quoting my earlier post, I can neither confirm, nor deny that the 1.5L is coming sooner than expected but making way into S-Cross rather than Ciaz first. S-Cross may be getting preference due to lagging sales of Ciaz as well as the so called facelift coming up. We also may get a Petrol Automatic but things would be clearer at Auto Expo 2018. Requesting the Delhi-NCR people to keep an eye open for camouflaged S-Cross to be seen soon.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 15:58   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
We also may get a Petrol Automatic but things would be clearer at Auto Expo 2018. Requesting the Delhi-NCR people to keep an eye open for camouflaged S-Cross to be seen soon.
Any info about which petrol engine is coming?? And hope there will be a MT version as well.
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 16:06   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

I had posted here that this new 1.5 diesel is being tested with all new 6 speed manual transmission. Some sources are saying that this engine would be offered in 2 tunes (say FGT and VGT).
Old 16th November 2017, 16:08   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Any info about which petrol engine is coming?? And hope there will be a MT version as well.
No idea as of now. Maybe Maruti is buoyed by the response to new S-Cross and launch other variants soon, say showcase at Auto Expo. Will try to find out if anything else is there.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 16:20   #58
Senior - BHPian

While a New 1.5 Petrol and Diesel Engines are welcomed, Maruti shouldn't forget to offer them with a Convenient Automatic Gearbox. A proper Torque Converter will do good, especially on Diesel while Petrol can enjoy CVT. An AMT here would be a disaster.

While I like this new Facelifted S-Cross, the engine is nothing to write home about. Have owned some seriously good Diesel's (Verna 1.6/Rapid 1.6) while some decent ones currently (City 1.5 /i20 1.4), the 1.5 will be good on this new S-Cross.

We should probably get more details at Auto Expo 2018. Interesting times.
Old 16th November 2017, 17:08   #59
BANNED

When the Petrol S-Cross with the M15 engine is already produced for export markets, there should be some reason why Maruti delays this engine in the cars sold here like Ciaz and S-Cross. Probably, the M-engine used in first gen SX4 was not known for "good" fuel efficiency. They may come up with a 1.5L version of the current 1.4 K-Series engine, because the K-series is known for FE in India. Perception does matter!

IMO, they should come up with a Boosterjet version of the current 1.2L K-Series engine and produce 120BHP. Should be a good option to be used in Ciaz, Brezza and S-Cross. The 1.4L Boosterjet may be costly, and eventhough the 1L Boosterjet has good reviews from international markets, the fact that it is a 3-cyl engine may put off many.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 16th November 2017 at 17:17.
Old 16th November 2017, 17:59   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
When the Petrol S-Cross with the M15 engine is already produced for export markets, there should be some reason why Maruti delays this engine in the cars sold here like Ciaz and S-Cross.
The exported engine makes only 100 bhp power. They are re-tuning it to make 109 bhp of power to be in line with the competition. 109 bhp from a 1.5 L engine will make it close in terms of power rating. Current engine makes 94 bhp. 100 bhp is not a quantum leap but 109 bhp looks significantly higher compared to the 94 bhp of the 1.4 k-series

Quote:
Probably, the M-engine used in first gen SX4 was not known for "good" fuel efficiency. They may come up with a 1.5L version of the current 1.4 K-Series engine, because the K-series is known for FE in India. Perception does matter!
They are not making a 1.5 K-series engine but rather tuning the M15A gasoline engine for more power. Engines more than 1.5 L attract higher costs to consumer by way of tax and higher insurance payouts. Hence the 1.6 petrol is not a viable option

Quote:
IMO, they should come up with a Boosterjet version of the current 1.2L K-Series engine and produce 120BHP. Should be a good option to be used in Ciaz, Brezza and S-Cross. The 1.4L Boosterjet may be costly, and eventhough the 1L Boosterjet has good reviews from international markets, the fact that it is a 3-cyl engine may put off many.
Boosterjets have no future in India. The Baleno RS boosterjet barely sells.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks