Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2017, 15:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

2017 Mercedes-Benz GLA facelift launched at Rs. 30.65 lakh

Our Official Review of the pre-facelift GLA is at this link.

Mercedes-Benz has launched the 2017 GLA facelift in India at prices starting from Rs. 30.65 lakh (ex-showroom). This marks the seventh launch from Mercedes-Benz in the country this year.

The 2017 GLA facelift gets some cosmetic tweaks, but remains mechanically identical to the pre-facelift model. The front and rear bumpers are all new, while the grille also gets a tweaked design. The bi-xenon headlamps of the outgoing model have been replaced by all LED units with DRLs. The LED taillights have also been redesigned. The side profile remains similar to that of the previous model, save for the new 18-inch alloy wheels. The SUV will be available in 5 colour options - Jupiter Red, Cirrus White, Mountain Grey, Polar Silver and a new shade of Canyon Beige.

On the inside, the dashboard layout has been carried over without any major changes, though the car now gets a new 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Navigation is being offered as an optional extra. There is also an ambient lighting system on offer, which comes with 12 colour options. The list of safety features includes 6 airbags, ABS, EBD, ESP, traction control and driver attention assist.

The 2017 GLA continues to be offered with two engine options. The 2,143 cc, four-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine is available in two states of tune - 134 BHP and 300 Nm in the 200d and 168 BHP and 350 Nm in the 220d. Meanwhile, the petrol version gets a 1,991 cc, four-cylinder engine with 181 BHP and 300 Nm on tap. All engines come with a 7-speed automatic gearbox, while the 220d comes with an AWD system as standard.

Mercedes has also announced that it will be offering unlimited mileage service packs for the GLA at prices starting from Rs. 49,000. The extended warranty packages start at Rs. 37,500.

Prices (ex-showroom, pan India)
• GLA 200d Style - Rs. 30.65 lakh
• GLA 200 Sport - Rs. 32.20 lakh
• GLA 200d Sport - Rs. 33.85 lakh
• GLA 220d 4MATIC - Rs. 36.75 lakh

2017 Mercedes-Benz GLA facelift launched at Rs. 30.65 lakh-unnamed.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2017 at 09:25. Reason: Linking to review
dZired is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 20:57   #2
BHPian

Re: 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLA facelift launched at Rs. 30.65 lakh

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/post-gst-...8-lakh-1721054

Now that is a decent price correction. Also comes with the 4-MATIC. I wonder why did BMW withdraw the xDrive.

Is the battle going to be between Tiguan and GLA now?
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 23:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post

Now that is a decent price correction. Also comes with the 4-MATIC. I wonder why did BMW withdraw the xDrive.

The Tiguan is a no match in terms of interior built quality to the GLA or X1 and has a very mediocre engine. I feel the GLA is gonna compete with its German counterparts only and the E-Pace when launched. IMHO the Tiguan is a very poor product for its price.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 00:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post

BMW has not withdrawn the xdrive in X1 series! I was at their showroom in April and the xdrive was very much on display!

GLA suffers from seriously cramped interiors, x1 and Q3 are far more spacious. Wonder if MB has done some improvements on that account. Pricing seems competitive. Even 4matic version seems competitively price compared to similar versions in Q3 and X1.
rohan.xj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 09:29   #5
BHPian

Brilliant car and even more brilliant pricing.

As an owner, I can vouch for this car. Build and interior quality is top notch (proper Mercedes), GC is a boon in our Indian conditions, engine is competent (in petrol variant is very powerful + FTD aided by paddle shifts) and looks sexy from outside. Not to mention the small real-estate it occupies.

It is the perfect car for an urban dweller.
The Brutailer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 09:52   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

So in the past year or so, luxury brands like Mercedes, BMW and Volvo have launched luxury or performance cars at competitive/good VFM prices.

Internationally non premium brands like Toyota, Honda, VW that claim to be premium in India have launched cars at rip-off prices.

Well done Mercedes, BMW and Volvo
kiku007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 12:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
So in the past year or so, luxury brands like Mercedes, BMW and Volvo have launched luxury or performance cars at competitive/good VFM prices.

Internationally non premium brands like Toyota, Honda, VW that claim to be premium in India have launched cars at rip-off prices.

Well done Mercedes, BMW and Volvo
Completely agree with this. Toyota /Honda tend to overprice their vehicles. I am astounded to see top variant of Toyota Fortuner/Camry at 30+ lakhs. They are reliable yes, but the gap is very narrow between Toyota/Honda and other car makers these days. It aint the 1970's and 80's where the difference was night and day.

The luxury brands Merc/BMW/Audi's etc are a different brand by themselves. There is aspirational value to own these vehicles and they can overprice and get away with it.

When i lived in USA , honda/toyota were considered the Maruti 800 of USA. In fact Toyota Fortuner is considered a poor man's Landcruiser. Am astounded to see how they are perceived in India.

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2017 at 11:54. Reason: Typos
dreadknight5 is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 6th July 2017, 17:14   #8
BHPian

Some reports suggest the inclusion on 2 zone climate control while others don't mention it at all. I would be very disappointed if they stuck with the manual option; a true insult when you're paying that price.

I was almost certain I would go with the V40 r design and opt for a polestar tune later this year - now I'm second guessing myself. I shall ping MB for a test drive.
reihem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 13:05   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

To my eyes, the GLA-Class is the only new Mercedes which doesn't look good. The face is handsome, but the street presence is poor. The rear end, in particular, lacks appeal. The new X1 and even the Q3 have far better styling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Some reports suggest the inclusion on 2 zone climate control while others don't mention it at all. I would be very disappointed if they stuck with the manual option; a true insult when you're paying that price.
Nope, it still doesn't.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 13:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nope, it still doesn't.
Dealbreaker as far as I'm concernend. I mean that's the least one can expect.

OT/ - GTO, wish tbhp had more coverage of the 2017 v40. A feature stuffed CBU at that price point - it floored me.
Old 7th July 2017, 14:58   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
The Tiguan is a no match in terms of interior built quality to the GLA or X1 and has a very mediocre engine. I feel the GLA is gonna compete with its German counterparts only and the E-Pace when launched.
I agree the GLA is superior for a number of reasons like:

Mediocre 140 bhp engine;
Art leather seats; and
The interior would be no match for the likes of the Mercedes / Audi and maybe arguably even X1.

BUT ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
IMHO the Tiguan is a very poor product for its price.
... other than the above 3 points, I think the Tiguan is an excellent (albeit a tad overpriced) product. It has comfortable reclining seats with fore and aft movement (width being the only compromise); great underthigh support; superbly appointed interiors compared to the other 30 - 40 lakh products; a smashing panaromic sun roof; incredible 615 ltrs boot space; a compact footprint and very classy, understated but timeless styling. Maximizes interior offering within a relatively compact exterior package.

Sure, a GLA is in knocking distance and may make sense for many and rightly so but in my mind, the Tiguan is a superb product in itself. If you don't want the full size SUVs nor do you want to own a Hyundai Tucson - this is your only 36 odd lakh price option.
Old 7th July 2017, 15:39   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

[quote=rohan.xj;4229395]the xdrive was very much on display!
2nd That. xDrive option is still verymuch available on the X1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan.xj View Post
GLA suffers from seriously cramped interiors, x1 and Q3 are far more spacious. Wonder if MB has done some improvements on that account
Very unlikely, as increasing the interior space would require more than just the cosmetic changes.

GLA is a beautiful car but at best for 2 Adults and 2 kids at the back. Even two adults at the back will not be comfortable for long. Personally, I love the shape and hope to have one parked next to my X3 in the future.
Old 8th July 2017, 00:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I agree the GLA is superior for a number of reasons like:

Mediocre 140 bhp engine;
Art leather seats; and
The interior would be no match for the likes of the Mercedes / Audi and maybe arguably even X1.

BUT ...

... other than the above 3 points, I think the Tiguan is an excellent (albeit a tad overpriced) product. It has comfortable reclining seats with fore and aft movement (width being the only compromise); great underthigh support; superbly appointed interiors compared to the other 30 - 40 lakh products; a smashing panaromic sun roof; incredible 615 ltrs boot space; a compact footprint and very classy, understated but timeless styling. Maximizes interior offering within a relatively compact exterior package.

Sure, a GLA is in knocking distance and may make sense for many and rightly so but in my mind, the Tiguan is a superb product in itself. If you don't want the full size SUVs nor do you want to own a Hyundai Tucson - this is your only 36 odd lakh price option.
Agree on the rear recliner seats but other then that I think the panoramic sunroof size is almost the same as the other trio in the segment (not sure of the GLA) and for the looks I'd say its very subjective and for me the design of it just doesn't do and almost everything in its segment looks better...but thats just my humble opinion

Most Viewed