Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2017, 17:30   #31
BHPian

Re: R.I.P Tata Safari DICOR - TATA puts the legend to rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
You know what is that one thing that stands out for Safari?
It is the only automobile on Indian roads which only a "heart over mind" person drives. You see someone driving a Safari, you know he/she is someone who follows his/her heart.

There will be no other vehicle that captures the imagination of a generation as Safari did, when it was launched in 1999. This generation is at 35-50 age bracket today. The ideal age to buy a 20 lakh car in India. The younger lot doesn't love the Safari as this cohort. So, Tata has missed a huge revenue potential by not keeping the product relevant & trouble-free.

Brand Managers would kill to work on a brand like the Safari - cult following, passionate fans and a very sharply defined core product values (from Brand stand point).
But, Tata couldn't handle the brand.
Whether the Brand Managers were mediocre or the Corporate strategy was flawed, we'll probably never know. But the outcome is dismal sales numbers and hence an iconic 100% Indian brand has been sunset. Its a tragedy.

Scorpio came later and still doing 4K units per month, even during GST month. And it is a lesser product in every way.
Clearly, Safari was in wrong hands at Tata.

cheers
lazy
So true, you just wrote what i had in mind. I am happy to purchase my brand new black Safari Dicor six weeks back. Driving her, seeing her parked in my garage, everytime brings a broad smile on my face. This is the 2nd time i have purchased this vehicle and the looks, road presence and space this vehicle has is epic & just like a Bullet, this will always remain as a cult vehicle. I am in my ealry 30's & still feel like a college teen driving & owning her. Reclaiming to the fullest.
NST440 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 21:54   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Safari Dicor discontinued. EDIT: Indica & Indigo websites back up

This decision was long due! No one was buying the DICOR anyways.

Anyhow, like many others felt, I too believe Dicor was the best looking safari so far. And I am happy that I didn't sell away my 2012 Safari DICOR 2.2 6th year, 1.25 lakh km and still going strong!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 23:43   #33
BHPian

Like many out there, i really still love the looks of Safari Dicor and secretely wish that Tata brings thoroughly engineered new generation Safari while maintaining those looks.

A couple of nostalgic pics of my ex beast:
Tata Safari Dicor discontinued. EDIT: Indica & Indigo websites back up-img_1720.jpg

Tata Safari Dicor discontinued. EDIT: Indica & Indigo websites back up-img_1718.jpg
46TheDoctor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 08:22   #34
BHPian

Safari, is still, one of the most comfortable vehicles to travel. Tata could've done better by phasing it out when they released Storme. I am glad they're taking corrective actions now. I see a lot of positivity with Tata's new line up. All the best!

For Safari owners, treasure your Legend; maintain it.
Boomerang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 08:30   #35
KMT
BHPian

Tata was the first in this space since the early 90's with Tatamobile, Sierra etc. Safari too was a great product for India in the 90's.

Somehow, I reckon that Tata Motors lost some of their mojo along the way.
Twenty or so years is way too long for a company like Tata to flog a an old and dying horse.

Like some players of our Cricket team the Safari has lingered on for about 5 years too long.

Anyway RIP, it has a loyal fan base.
Old 14th July 2017, 09:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

There is no doubt in my mind that Safari as a brand and a product has been poorly managed by Tata Motors.

Allow me to share among the last pic captured of the Safari I owned before selling it in 2012.

But allow me to add - owning a Safari and reading about the adulation it gets, one tends to get wrapped in the feeling of owning a great vehicle undone by external causes. It was hard for me to move from a vehicle as good looking as the Safari to a minbus like Innova, but immediately it was apparent to me what I had been missing so far and why Safari doesn't sell in the market.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Dicor discontinued. EDIT: Indica & Indigo websites back up-dsc01468.jpg  

Last edited by rrsteer : 14th July 2017 at 09:58.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 10:39   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Good decision. But I still see Indigo and Indica active under the passenger cars section on the group site.

Dicor should have been dropped when Storme was launched. I hope Storme gets a make over too like the Aria => Hexa.
Old 14th July 2017, 11:16   #38
Team-BHP Support

When looking to buy a SUV in 2011, the Safari was on my radar, and quite appealing as well. For reasons that have been discussed multiple times on the forum, i chose to go with the Scorpio, another vehicle i liked. That said, the Safari in its Dicor avatar still remains the best looking Safari to date, and quite aspirational too.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 11:41   #39
BHPian

2 days back i got a SMS saying Indica and Indigo available for 1.5lakhs discount. I suspected that TML is pulling the plug on them and I am correct. A decision which was long due.
Old 14th July 2017, 11:55   #40
BHPian

Only one word can describe this vehicle "THE ICON".

In my opinion this is still the best looking SUV ever produced on Indian soil. Everybody including me at some point of his life had the urge to own one but thoughts of practicality and reliability made us decide otherwise, rather I would like to say that I lacked the courage. Even today when I was on my way to office I saw one black Safari and "My Oh My" the road presence of this beast is still unmatched.

RIP "THE ICON" you will be missed by every car lover in this country. The blessed ones who have the pleasure of owning one enjoy every moment with this beast and keep making us jealous.
.sourov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 12:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

Ah!!! Dicor, the legend. I guess its one vehicle which still makes heads turn. And one more such vehicle from TATA was Sierra.

I seriously hope TATA tastes success with their newer models and gets enough cushion to experiment with these old legendary cars. Similar design with updated interiors and latest engines would do wonders

Never the less. R.I.P Safari Dicor!!!
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 13:00   #42
BHPian

Re: R.I.P Tata Safari DICOR - TATA puts the legend to rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
You know what is that one thing that stands out for Safari?
It is the only automobile on Indian roads which only a "heart over mind" person drives. You see someone driving a Safari, you know he/she is someone who follows his/her heart.
... This generation is at 35-50 age bracket today. ....

cheers
lazy
"Heart over mind" it is & will always be. Cannot agree more. Was love at first sight when launched, & I was in first year of My collage.
Even after so many negative "inputs" by people around me, only concern with me was Vitamin-M & the model I had to buy. I needed Safari in my garage, by any means.
Thanks to all BHPians, who gave inputs to my First thread & helped me made up my mind to buy an Ex. in Sep-2010.

"Heart over mind" it is & will always be. I have emotional attachments to all three cars I have & that is the very reason I never allowed my father to sell off the 1996 Esteem he had purchased (after we purchased safari in 2010) & His Legendary "OLD" Bajaj Super.

Sad but we have to agree the to the fact now, that a Phenom is rested.
Even worse is that Tata had never shown an intent to correct the image Safari. If they were not in a mood to improve its Techs, they should have tried to improve its cosmetics at least. To shed of those cheap plastics which is the main complain area of all the owners, whose cars have crossed 6/7 years.

None the less, My "Beast" is to stay with me as long as I can hold on to it.
RIP.. For Good & in a hope of your mature re-incarnation.

Regards,
Saurabh
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 15:41   #43
BHPian

Tata's have given customers good lifestyle vehicles but have not really built on brand value created by the first generation vehicles.

To list a few.

Tata Estate
Tata Sierra
Tata Sumo

and Now the Safari.
Old 14th July 2017, 15:50   #44
BHPian

The Aria too is off the website. IN the SUV/MUV now you only have the Storme, the Hexa and the Sumo Gold. I see the Gold too moving out soon

MODS - Can the thread title be updated to include the Aria as well?
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 16:13   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
The Aria too is off the website.

Can the thread title be updated to include the Aria as well?
The Aria hasn't been in production for more than a year now, whereas the Safari, Indigo and Indica have been showing sales right up to the most recent month...
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed