Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2017, 12:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari Dicor discontinued. EDIT: Indica & Indigo websites back up

Thanks to Suman Ray for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Tata Motors appears to have made some significant tweaks to its portfolio of passenger vehicles in India. The company's official website has been revised, after which, certain models have been removed from the line-up, pointing towards their discontinuation.

The Safari Dicor is no longer listed on the website. A couple of Tata dealerships have also confirmed that the Dicor has been pulled off the shelves. However, the Safari Storme is still on sale and is currently responsible for keeping the 'Safari' moniker alive.

Additionally, web pages of the Indica and the Indigo prompt to be under maintenance. Various earlier reports had indicated that the company is planning to discontinue the two cars owing to a lack of demand. Moreover, with the introduction of new-generation cars like the Tiago and the Tigor, the Indica and the Indigo have started to feel a lot outdated and redundant in the company's portfolio. As a result, it might be a possibility that Tata has finally decided to pull the plug on the twins.

The Tata Aria has already been silently discontinued. Tata hasn't sold a single unit of the crossover since December 2016. Now, the web page of the Tata Aria redirects to that of Tata's new flagship product - the Hexa.

This streamlining of Tata's Indian passenger vehicle portfolio appears to be in-line with its plans to limit the number of platforms being used in its range of cars to just two. Tata currently has products based on six platforms on sale in India. By limiting the number of platforms for its products, the company is aiming to enhance the economies of scale and thus offer products at competitive prices.

Tata Safari Dicor discontinued. EDIT: Indica & Indigo websites back up-safari.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 10th July 2017 at 12:44.
dZired is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 13:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Safari Dicor discontinued. EDIT: Indica & Indigo websites back up

Excellent move by Tata Motors. There is room for a bit more of rationalization . Once done, the focus across the sourcing, production and sales & marketing chain will be directed to the newly launched and upcoming launches which are the future of the company. This is a tried and tested way to rationalize organisational resources.

Now we will have a few pages of rants ( like in any other Tata Motors thread ) about how Tata motors have to improve their after sales service, reduce the weight of their cars, bring back the rear mounted spare wheel in ALL THEIR CARS in memory of the Safari and slash prices of their entire model range to get more sales. And we will have a few enthusiasts commenting on how they had just decided to buy a Safari and are now terribly disappointed that it has been discontinued.

Last edited by narayan : 10th July 2017 at 13:31.
narayan is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 13:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari Dicor discontinued, Indica & Indigo websites down

I'm actually a little surprised as to why the earlier Safari and Aria would have been listed anywhere! Why would someone spending 14L plus spend the money on an earlier generation model? With that kind of money wouldn't someone want to always buy the newer car available which in these cases would be the storme and the Hexa?

Secondly on the Indica and Indigo, I think they should move these to their commercial vehicle dealerships and sell them from there for some time and then phase them out in a year or so. Either they push the Bolt as the next Indica taxi or an attractively priced indigo CS. They shouldn't lose out on that market either.

They can also move the fleet sales away to smaller exclusive dealerships outside of the regular Tata showrooms just to ensure that the newer products don't get the same perception.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 13:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

cross posting from the other thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I was poking around for spare parts when i came up with these on an ecommerce site .
Attachment 1655669

Attachment 1655670

Attachment 1655671
Strange that they did all this development, and then discontinued the models before they could be launched?
Old 10th July 2017, 14:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Strange that they did all this development, and then discontinued the models before they could be launched?
While querying on these lines (ie. Indica/Indigo discontinuation) a few weeks back with a TASS i visit, was told that the CR4 lineup of these models will continue, with the production of NA and TDI variants being stopped. Maybe TM renewed their strategy again, in this timeframe.
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 15:21   #6
BHPian

I just tried to open the pages mentioned. In main Tata site, Safari, India, Indigo all remains listed. The safari mini site is still present, while the others are offline.
Old 10th July 2017, 15:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

I had said this before, the Indica & Indigo are too long in the tooth now. They feel outdated even for taxi segment & need to be withdrawn. Keeping my fingers crossed for the final outcome of this (discontinuation or really under maintenance). It would do Tatas a whole lot of good if these two products are taken off the shelf.
Old 12th July 2017, 20:10   #8
BHPian

R.I.P Tata Safari DICOR - TATA puts the legend to rest!

If sources are to be believed from this post by CarToq, TATA has finally put the mighty Safari's DICOR variant to rest for good!
An icon in its own right the Safari has always had a culture following in India.Tata Motors has finally pulled the plug on the Safari DICOR, an SUV that made its debut way back in 1998. Production has been stopped, and the SUV has also been taken off the Tata Motors website. After nearly 2 decades of production from Tata’s Pimpri factory off Pune, the Safari will go down into the history books as the first vehicle that gave Indians a taste of what a luxury SUV is all about.
Despite TATA bringing the much upgraded Storm, the DICOR still enjoyed a cult success and demand in the used market.

Source- http://www.cartoq.com/rip-tata-safar...v-is-now-dead/

Last edited by Skyline_GT : 12th July 2017 at 20:13.
Skyline_GT is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 20:25   #9
Team-BHP Support

re: R.I.P Tata Safari DICOR - TATA puts the legend to rest!

They should have done it as soon as Storme arrived.

Instead they missed a trick by trying to place the Storme above it. Which made Storme a barebones vehicle for the price and infact, the cheaper Safari looked better as well - even though 90% identical in looks. Which was a confusing strategy from TATA!

Infact, they should have just copied the Mahindra strategy here. The Scorpio brand just completed 15 years in the market, successfully. Whereas TATA failed to leverage an ever more legendary brand name. Storme should have been a Safari only and the only version of it.

They finally seems to have learned to move on though. With products like the Nano, Indigo eCS, Indica and now Safari all rumoured to be discontinued leaving a much more modern lineup in the showroom.

As for the future? Hope they kill the Storme as soon as the new JLR based SUV is ready and revive the legendary Safari brand once again with this capable vehicle. Indians have a special respect for Safari brand that no other TATA Motors vehicle has managed to earn till date.

Something to finish with -

My all time favourite ad.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th July 2017 at 20:35.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 20:28   #10
BHPian

RIP to a legend that has enabled so many to Reclaim their Lives!

If you think about it, this marks the end of an era of fun to drive & enthusiast's choice cars from the 2000's (a time when terms like FE and practicality took the back seat and the focus was on things that mattered - Power, Handling, etc.). I am speaking about cars like the Safari 3.0, Fiesta 1.6, Esteem, Cedia, Palio GTX... you get the drift!
nerd1200 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 20:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
They should have done it as soon as Storme arrived.

Instead they missed a trick by trying to place the Storme above it. Which made Storme a barebones vehicle for the price and infact, the cheaper Safari looked better as well.
The older Safari beat the Storme hands down in the looks department. TATA had made it bang on with the subtle yet stylish face and the grill on the original Safari DICOR.
Skyline_GT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 21:53   #12
NPX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Something to finish with -

My all time favourite ad.

Have to say, beautiful, beautiful ads.

After so many years no car manufacturer has come up with ads comparable to the Tata Safari ads.

The legend will be missed.

Last edited by SDP : 12th July 2017 at 22:29. Reason: Please do not quote videos. Makes it that much difficult to read your post.
NPX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 22:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

RIP, most engaging vehicle I have owned!

Steeroid is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 23:14   #14
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 14th July 2017 at 09:31.
Passiondrive is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th July 2017, 23:22   #15
BHPian

Still looks better than all the current Tata cars. Legend in it's own right. This was the butch, huge SUV before the Fortuners and Endevours hit our market.

But gotta admit, ignoring the nostalgia it was a sub-standard car with poor handling (will strike fear in your heart if you corner hard) and interiors were nothing to talk about.

P. S. The thread title is little misleading. I thought Tata discontinued the Safari brand itself! (including Storme)
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks