Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2017, 11:13   #1
Team-BHP Support

June 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Aditya is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 11:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: June 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 11:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 11:32   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 11:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 11:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

Let's not jump to any assumptions this month, as GST seems to have taken its toll on the sales of many models. Has to be considered as an exception.

Will be interesting to see next month onwards, as some manufacturers have used the opportunity to reposition their prices below the prices offered by the competition.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th July 2017 at 11:50.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 11:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Let's not jump to any assumptions this month, as GST seems to have taken its toll on the sales of many models. Has to be considered as an exception.

Will be interesting to see next month onwards, as some manufacturers have used the opportunity to reposition their prices below the prices offered by the competition.
Seeing the Toyota sales numbers, I was surprised to say the least. Took me some to figure out that GST roll-out has played it role here. I am still wondering about all those buyers who got their cars in June, knowing (or ignorant) about the price drop one month later. I am not sure if all the manufacturers/dealers have given discounts to the tune of post-GST price cut. If they did, then that would have been some serious loss to them.

Clearance discounts by Chevrolet has brought in some numbers for them.
Old 11th July 2017, 12:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Looks like most customers were holding out on car purchase this month, waiting for post-GST impact before buying.

However, Hyundai was most aggressive last month, with mouth watering deals on pre-GST factory dispatches and dealer stock. And this seems to have paid off big time! Contrast this with Toyota, who I think decided to hold back on factory dispatches until July 1.

Next month's numbers will be very interesting indeed. I am thinking that a lot of manufacturer's factory stock would have spiked in June, leading to huge dispatch numbers in July.
Old 11th July 2017, 12:33   #9
BHPian

Hyundai - 3 Santa Fe and 56 Tucson sold.High time Hyundai does a price correction so that they can sell in decent numbers.Am sure Hyundai had a bigger target for each of them when they launched.

Honda - WRV sales at around 4.5k is a surprise.Seems the package is being liked by the buyers.Having a sunroof in a sub 10L cross-over might be doing the trick.Remember biggies like Hexa and Tucson dont have it.

Toyota - Am sure the Fortuner numbers are low due to GST.They normally hover around 2k.

VW - Need some push to get some sales going especially for Tiguan.Price reduction?
joy_swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 12:46   #10
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Seeing the Toyota sales numbers, I was surprised to say the least. Took me some to figure out that GST roll-out has played it role here. I am still wondering about all those buyers who got their cars in June, knowing (or ignorant) about the price drop one month later. I am not sure if all the manufacturers/dealers have given discounts to the tune of post-GST price cut. If they did, then that would have been some serious loss to them.

Clearance discounts by Chevrolet has brought in some numbers for them.
I think that hatch back & sub 4m customers wouldn't be too much impacted between pre & post GST. Thus you see that sales numbers for those segments haven't changed drastically. For the larger vehicles (especially SUVs) it was sensible for manufacturers to reduce output in June considering the huge reduction in tax
Old 11th July 2017, 13:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Agree, but it is very surprising that all products from the market leader Maruti Suzuki has declined even though three of their products have long waiting periods. On the other hand there are many names who have managed to hold on the their average monthly sales like Datsun Redigo, Honda City and WRV (increased), Hyundai Elite i20, Grand i10 and Xcent, Mahindra Balero, Tata Tiago, VW Polo and Ameo.

On another note Jeep must look at Tucson numbers (120 monthly average in last 6 months) and price Compass accordingly, if they want to be in the game.

Last edited by S.MJet : 11th July 2017 at 13:07. Reason: Typo
Old 11th July 2017, 14:51   #12
BHPian

Find it very funny that Chevrolet which has announced it wrap up plans is still selling more that Fiat which is in its umpteenth revival phase this time as Jeep-Fiat dealerships.
akhilesh51 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 15:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Despite GST uncertainty, the 3000+ Scorpio sales which is about 70% of its usual monthly average baffles me. Were discounts so attractive ? Or any other reason ?
Old 11th July 2017, 16:21   #14
BHPian

With WR-V tasting success, we can say good bye to our wish for WR-V with 1.5L ivtec
jaganpec2002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 17:00   #15
BHPian

The stats are on expected curve as the impact of GST is clear and crushing. Some of the best sellers from the Suzuki's stable have seen negative growth YoY. However it is interesting to note that Ameo & WR-V have seen 50%+ growth MoM and Bolero is still spinning 6000+ vehicles' sales last month which is proving the fact that Mahindra will never dare to ditch this model however old it might be.

Another major change to note here is on Toyota who saw decline of number across the spectrum considerably with even the mighty Innova and Fortuner haven't fared well with an average 80% reduction in the volume of sales.

I strongly believe this month and the next one will see some unprecedented sales after the correction of prices post GST as well as some exciting new launches / face-lifts.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks