Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2006, 21:01   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd any day rate the Ford 1.6L Rocam engine above the Baleno's 1.6L engine, having owned one and test-driven/driven extensively another. I was regularly able to produce wheel spin in 1st gear while starting off, even though it never happened intentiionally. And that delicious low-end torque in the Ikon 1.6L pinned you back in your seat.

The discontinuation of the Ikon 1.6L left only the Baleno in the 1.6L segment. Coupled with the steep discounts the Baleno was being offered made it an attractive choice as well.

Do note explicitly that I respect the Baleno for what it represented.

The Palio 1.6?! No brainer. An affordable hot hatch - the only such in India.
Old 10th November 2006, 23:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Why people are passionate about these cars is because they are good! Under-rated in people's minds. Most common people question the abilities of these car without realizing the core competency of these cars as fun to drive. So reasoning with them, mostly futile, hence on an automobile forum enthusiasts speak their hearts out.

For the OHC VTEV however the common man speaks of other virtues rather than performance, so isn't much spoken about in this site.

As for the Ikon 1.6, I have one, well because when I was buying a car Fiat did not have a operational dealership in Kolkata (waited 5 months for an adventure in vain), and the Baleno I did not buy because I could not live with that footwork, and Maruti did not promise warranty if I changed shoes. However loved the Ikon steering and the way it goes around corners. But I still am passionate about the Palio, cos I am never able to use the Ikon to its best potential (as regards engine and handling is concerned) as the brakes dont compliment the best in class dynamics of the car. Adding the Eagle F1's though has actually brought back some decency, but then the treadwear rating of the F1's are ultra low. My next car, will definitely be a Fiat or a Fiat in Maruti clothes (guess what I mean) that too in diesel.
Old 10th November 2006, 23:42   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
I'd any day rate the Ford 1.6L Rocam engine above the Baleno's 1.6L engine, having owned one and test-driven/driven extensively another. I was regularly able to produce wheel spin in 1st gear while starting off, even though it never happened intentiionally. And that delicious low-end torque in the Ikon 1.6L pinned you back in your seat.

The discontinuation of the Ikon 1.6L left only the Baleno in the 1.6L segment. Coupled with the steep discounts the Baleno was being offered made it an attractive choice as well.
Dont you mean Baleno's 1.5 litr engine :S ??

I thought the Baleno had a 1.5lt engine...correct me if I am wrong
Old 10th November 2006, 23:57   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008
Dont you mean Baleno's 1.5 litr engine :S ??

Well, you are wrong, again.
Old 10th November 2006, 23:58   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Baleno always came with a 1.6L engine.
Old 11th November 2006, 00:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Engine specification:

Maruti Baleno -> 1590 cc
Old 11th November 2006, 03:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

Baleno is pretty fuel efficient too...I live in Hyderabad and face low to moderate traffic on my way to office...
After doing 23000 km in the last 16 months, I though I had my share of "ripping" the car ...BTW even in these times, it never gave me less than 12kmpl..
Recently, I adapted a
"minimal AC (use only if weather is hot)"

and
"go to 5th @45kmph"
and
"dont exceed 2000Rpm ever"

driving style..and ..amazing...my last three mileages have been 14.7kmpl, 13.8kmpl and 14kmpl ...
My Santro eRLX gives me 15kmpl.... ..I mean 14kmpl is Santro territory..what more efficiency can one ask for...while the performance is always there at the tap of a foot in case it is needed...

Last edited by Buffetfan : 11th November 2006 at 04:00.
Old 11th November 2006, 04:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Another factor atleast for me has been the seat of the pants feel that these cars offer. This has always been the deciding factor for me when it comes to comparing cars especially when I compare the OHC & NHC. And I don't like the NHC VTEC simply because it feels remote & disconnected which takes away all the pleasure of driving the car.

As for the Palio I would say it was India's first affordable hot hatch and thus struck a chord with enthusiasts & hence has such a fan following. The Baleno after the price cuts became seriously good value for money & coupled with its sprightly performance became a modder's favourite.

These cars might not be cutting technology or bristling with safety gear but they have one very important component that most other cars don't and that is the smile that they bring on their owner's face with their surprising performance & ultimately that is the clincher!
Old 11th November 2006, 15:22   #39
BANNED

Eh? Yesterday was Palio. Today is Palio/Baleno.

Why not make the thread: What makes us so passionate about Palio/Baleno/Lancer/OHC/NHC/Optra/Civic/Accord/Camry/C/E/S Class/Safari/Indigo/Accent/Santro/800 etc?

Some of us are feeling left out...
Old 11th November 2006, 15:34   #40
BHPian

I think ppl here are passionate abt FIAT and BALENO mainly because:

This (team-bhp) is the only place they can afford to be and ofcourse they will have some company too.... you tell a man in the street about Fiat 1.6 / Baleno pickup and handling he will laugh at you or atmost dont bother replying to it.... while if you talk about Toyota corrolla or Honda city...you will have someone joining you all the time!!..
Old 11th November 2006, 16:01   #41
BHPian

as the palio catch line saysLOVERS, NOT DRIVERS, well thats what both these cars stand for. i believe there are cars much better than these, but then there are things that lay latent in the back of our minds & make us love somethings in life even though they might not be perfect. at the end of the day they put a smile on ur face the moment you turn the ignition.

my last trip to himachal & J&K lasted 10 days & almost 3000 km, the car simply hugged the roads & so much fun to drive, words just cant explain my feelings. my wife initially planned PIT STOPS every 3-4 hours but while on the run she never felt the need, even though sometimes we were driving 12-14 hrs nonstop.
Old 11th November 2006, 18:06   #42
BANNED

I feel this thread has been diluted by bringing Baleno into it (how many times has that happened before eh?).

Now you really might as well add OHC/Lancer etc because there are lots of owners who feel the same way about their cars.

All Vtec owners raise your hands!
Old 11th November 2006, 18:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
All Vtec owners raise your hands!
Can I raise both hands

Last edited by iraghava : 11th November 2006 at 18:12.
Old 11th November 2006, 19:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Well Palio is a overall a nice looker, great performance (1.6), decent FE and that is what makes me passionate about palio.

On the Other hand there is nothing that makes me passionate about BALENO. Maybe i will buy baleno (current one) only because of the fact that i will get good Servce.
Old 11th November 2006, 21:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Eh? Yesterday was Palio. Today is Palio/Baleno.
Why not make the thread: What makes us so passionate about Palio/Baleno/Lancer/OHC/NHC/Optra/Civic/Accord/Camry/C/E/S Class/Safari/Indigo/Accent/Santro/800 etc? Some of us are feeling left out...
Hey Boom, you forgot your Gypsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Well Palio is a overall a nice looker, great performance (1.6), decent FE and that is what makes me passionate about palio.
Maybe you could start with defining "decent FE". Then we could get talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
On the Other hand there is nothing that makes me passionate about BALENO. Maybe i will buy baleno (current one) only because of the fact that i will get good Servce.
Don't bother too much. MUL will not really miss your purchase.

Quote:
I feel this thread has been diluted by bringing Baleno into it (how many times has that happened before eh?).
Diluted ??? The thread starter clearly specified these 2 cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks