Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2006, 16:15   #61
Senior - BHPian

I belive most of the people here are missing the main point of the thread, Its not about :

- Which car sells more
- Which is best perf car money can buy
- which is the best car
- Which car shows up at most meets

But rather why are only these two cars get talked about in length & most of the time passionately.

In My opinion, they are talked because,they dont stand on normal car owners list i.e. Aam Junta rejects them either because of looks(Baleno) or FE (Palio 1.6) or A.S.S(Palio 1.6) yet owners are highly delighted & want to spread the word that what ever they have hear about these cars is not that correct & that the ownership experience is really good especially if you are an enthusiasts.
Old 13th November 2006, 16:17   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Now, about Palio/Baleno? Do I need to explain more?. Its more of a "me agaist the world" attitude. Thease people had to defy so called common sense to buy Palio and Baleno (Baleno being less so-being from Maruti itself gives it common man's acceptance- a bit). That is precisely why we keep seeing Palio owners popping up in every thread and saying "Its a great car". A feeling of Insecurity within them?

Two cars that needs special mention in this "Its the greatest car" world is Hyundai Accent and NHC. I am sure there are Accent/NHC owners here in the forum. But we don't see many complaints against Accent/NHC. Neither any superlative statments. Seems they are a content lot.
Well said, WK - more like comparison between McDonalds and the exotic Italian food joint, or between popular and art cinema.
Old 13th November 2006, 16:27   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
If what you say is true, why Baleno is one of the most popular car in Team-BHP along with Palio? Are you suggesting Team-BHP members don't know much about cars?
Please do not put words into my mouth, samurai sir. i know baleno owners will get at me for this. i know that you are very passionate about your baleno, so is everyone with their own cars. If & when i do give up my esteem, i will only buy the baleno or the OHC. What i did not expect is for you to exclude me from Team-BHP. Being passionate about your car is not just retorting to any bad remarks made about it in a forum. In that case, i would have to jump into most conversations in what car when people call the esteem a lot of names as also with many other cars. I guess i believe in a different kind of passion. I feel passionate about sporty cars & not the bulky cars. That is my opinion. of course, i do not have the experiences that you have had in driving in cool(read as foreign) countries & then in india.
Old 13th November 2006, 16:30   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thease people had to defy so called common sense to buy Palio
I am glad I didn't have that "common sense" referred to here or I would also be driving a Accent, Santro, Indica etc with a thoroughly bored look on my face.

What makes owners passionate about the Palio? The answer lies in the tag line below!

Last edited by amit : 13th November 2006 at 16:33.
Old 13th November 2006, 16:36   #65
BHPian

Well, there are cars which speak/connect to you the moment you get in...

and

There are cars which just are so dead inside.

I think that's the difference...

It's the same with the Bullets and Harley's, They boht need a chisel and a hammer to repair when you are on a tour. However, when it fires up it simply connects...

Same is it with the RD350's, hard to maintain but when it runs it just connects...

It's sheer passion which makes these wheels so talked about in such forums. Coz for us its about passion than just wheels to get from point A to point B.
Old 13th November 2006, 16:41   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
I am glad I didn't have that "common sense" referred to here or I would also be driving a Accent, Santro, Indica etc with a thoroughly bored look on my face.
True - nothing beats the excitement of running around to get the spares for a car that no one is interested in reparing.
Old 13th November 2006, 16:48   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
True - nothing beats the excitement of running around to get the spares for a car that no one is interested in reparing.
rightly said buddy, that will hold true even for someone's 1969 Ford Mustang , but that wont mean the person's not passionate about it.
Old 13th November 2006, 16:48   #68
BHPian

Well said Amit

Quote:

What makes owners passionate about the Palio? The answer lies in the tag line below!
You are not alone Amit.

Is it not love kind of thing. I am also loving the fact that I lacked common sense in going for Petra (probably it applies to any FIAT). I'd rather have a car I love to drive than have so called common sense and drive some thing I dont like.
Old 13th November 2006, 16:50   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like Fiat buyers will now have to start apologising for their decision to buy a Fiat to satisfy other knowledgeable car owners and buyers. Buying a Fiat should might as well be made a crime in this country now.
Old 13th November 2006, 17:00   #70
BHPian

well said goldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
Well said, WK - more like comparison between McDonalds and the exotic Italian food joint, or between popular and art cinema.
I think its turning out to be funny. If I am passionate about some thing does not mean it has to be popular. I can decide my own passion, no popular votes, right. The very symbol of being passion is it beats common sense most of the time.

If Accent owners are not sharing their excitement, its possible they dont have much excitement to share (no offense meant to Accent owners, IMHO its a good passenger car with a little less leg room than I like). Possible that its coincidence.

WK, passion is about beating common sense. What wuld you be calling guys that own Viper, corvette, .... ?
Old 13th November 2006, 17:05   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What wuld you be calling guys that own Viper, corvette, .... ?
Morons!

P.S. : Get ready for a barrage of comments crucifying you for comparing the measly Palio and Baleno to the Viper and Corvette! Not everyone can read through the lines.

Last edited by amit : 13th November 2006 at 17:08.
Old 13th November 2006, 17:16   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass
I think its turning out to be funny. If I am passionate about some thing does not mean it has to be popular. I can decide my own passion, no popular votes, right. The very symbol of being passion is it beats common sense most of the time.

If Accent owners are not sharing their excitement, its possible they dont have much excitement to share (no offense meant to Accent owners, IMHO its a good passenger car with a little less leg room than I like). Possible that its coincidence.

Quote:
WK, passion is about beating common sense. What wuld you be calling guys that own Viper, corvette, ....
?
sreenivass, i dont think we are quite there yet. we (most of us) buy cars for our regular commute with or without family. I dont think many of us would be driving in a baleno or a palio just to be seen in them. and baleno falls right into place there. the palio, however has a bad reputation & some people still love it & buy it. i guess, thats called passion here.
Old 13th November 2006, 17:18   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like Fiat buyers will now have to start apologising for their decision to buy a Fiat to satisfy other knowledgeable car owners and buyers. Buying a Fiat should might as well be made a crime in this country now.
Let me start by apologizing first! Why on this earth did I buy a Palio 1.2? If only I had waited enough and accumulated more money, I would have bought Palio 1.6! That way, I could have committed a bigger crime

From dictionary.com, the word "Passion" means:
any powerful or compelling emotion or feeling, as love or hate.

Please note the words "emotion" and "feeling". If you start using your brain as opposed to your heart, then it is no passion.

Why did I buy Palio? Because my heart said, "go for it". I can not explain why, may be I am not that articulate.

Are there no cars better than Palio? There sure are. Would I buy them if I were to buy a car again? NO.

What would be my next car? I will wait for such a car, upon seeing which my heart says, "go for it". Simple....
Old 13th November 2006, 17:29   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Buying a particular car and loving it is not a crime, calling every other car a dull piece of junk, however ....

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 13th November 2006 at 17:30.
Old 13th November 2006, 17:38   #75
BHPian

It varies on a case by case basis

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
sreenivass, i dont think we are quite there yet. we (most of us) buy cars for our regular commute with or without family. I dont think many of us would be driving in a baleno or a palio just to be seen in them. and baleno falls right into place there. the palio, however has a bad reputation & some people still love it & buy it. i guess, thats called passion here.
It changes from one person to the other esteem lover. Palio does not have to be seen as a non family car.

Passion does not see reputation, popularity, etc... If one loves o drive it one goes for it. Its different priorities for different people. Some like excitement, thrill, some need safety, FE, A.S.S or whatever.

The very thread is about why one is passionate, not to point out who has insecurity, lacks common sense, etc. When we talk about passion its very likely it beats rationale.

Most Viewed