Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2006, 17:40   #76
BHPian

So why did I buy the petra? Certainly not for rebelling! I had seen the siena 2 yrs before I bought the petra (in 2005) and I thought it had a distinct look to it that made it stand apart from all the other cars in my opinion.

And then when I was researching, I ran into rave reviews of the petra on this site as well at other motoring sites. All said and done, the petra's exteriors makes it look like a more expensive car( After all Guigari designed teh car) The interior I must say disappoints specially when compared to the Optra's and the Fiestas.

Driving has been fun and as I had mentioned on other threads it really races ahead of other cars very easily and even on uphill roads it climbs so easily and leaves behind other cars.
I recently drove (for a short distance only) my brother's all new Fiesta and
I must say that I found the Fiesta engine very quiet. I haven't raced the fiesta as yet and don't know how it handles.
But that apart I do know that when I am running at 120, the petra feels rock steady and boy can the car fly. And whereas the fiesta is more expensive, I got the loaded petra for much less, so I guess 100bhp 1.6 with ABS, etc with a dated interior is still value for money. A steal deal. So why shouldn't I scream in joy? Just kidding. I always qualify my car by saying it's good VFM in it's class!
Old 13th November 2006, 17:50   #77
BHPian

Thanks for the opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
sreenivass, i dont think we are quite there yet. we (most of us) buy cars for our regular commute with or without family. I dont think many of us would be driving in a baleno or a palio just to be seen in them. and baleno falls right into place there. the palio, however has a bad reputation & some people still love it & buy it. i guess, thats called passion here.
Baleno falling in to right place is your opinion, we respect it. It was one of the cars I considered along with Ikon, Accent, Esteem and Petra.

My priorities were different. Petra was love at first sight.

My friend owns Baleno, he keeps telling me Petra feels better in some aspects. There is no absolute judgment here, I like the looks of Baleno too. I know Accent is a good car, but I love my car.

I think this is where we are missing the point, why do we want others to accept what we think is right ? If you think its right, please go ahead and do it sir. Not that Baleno, Ikon, Accent do not have negative points.

Last edited by sreenivass : 13th November 2006 at 17:53.
Old 13th November 2006, 17:57   #78
Senior - BHPian

I am passionate about it 'coz it makes me happy - without fail. Every evening I look forward to the drive home .. every weekend I look out for excuses to take her out for a spin. Driving it relaxes me like nothing else.

When I test drove other cars - I realised I did not get the same feeling in an Accent, Ikon, Optra, Aveo, City. I came close to the same feeling in a Petra 1.6 and the Fiesta 1.6.

Once the feel-good factor was established - I had to take a purchase decision. Here it helped that the Baleno seemed a more practical buy than the Petra in that price segment.
Old 13th November 2006, 18:02   #79
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm. The way this thread is going, I guess it should be renamed "What makes us so dispassionate about the Baleno / Palio ?
Old 13th November 2006, 18:07   #80
BHPian

thats what palio & baleno are about, love me or hate me. they evoke feelings!
Old 13th November 2006, 18:08   #81
BHPian

proof by elimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Hmmm. The way this thread is going, I guess it should be renamed "What makes us so dispassionate about the Baleno / Palio ?
proof by elimination is an accepted way in math. Just kidding.

some times it can be true, you are not excited driving other cars is a reason why you bought this one.
Old 13th November 2006, 18:55   #82
BHPian

I am a happy owner of Baleno for last one month.Im relatively new to driving cars and my driving experience till now is 980 kms.Last week due to a family emergency i had to go for around 300 km nonstop journey and still after reaching destinantion i was not that much tired.Only trouble i have is about the low height of seats as they are a pain for 5 feet guys like me.The car is a breeze to drive in city and also a good bet for highway cruise.At 5.3 lakhs onroad i don have many other options .Its more spacious ,performing and also good fe nd low maintanence.After owning one i also getting to like the way it looks....Really a VFM car.Ithink other fellow owner bhpians are passionate about their baleno for the same reasons .

So baleno is a looker , isnt it?????
Old 13th November 2006, 19:33   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama
So baleno is a looker , isnt it?????
You bet she is.Let me be the first one to say that.Wow,she is gorgeous.I think I'm falling in love with the way this car looks,atleast in white or black.The alloys are fantastic as well.The front is ok but the rest of the car in that picture looks stunning.Probably its looking even better since you have'nt covered the mediocre looking rear in that picture.I dont think anyone looking at that pic will say that Baleno looks ugly.Sweet ride.
Old 13th November 2006, 19:42   #84
BHPian

just like SHUVC put it....it satisfies u....it gives u wht u wanted from it...so u r happy...and in this case the palio and baleno def have more to give...thts wht makes them special....at least for me it does....luv my balenoooo
Old 13th November 2006, 19:43   #85
BHPian

thanks roms....hehe but i like the rear too...i don have much rear pics (maybe i love the frontend more ) this is the only pic covering a lil of rear....

Old 13th November 2006, 20:21   #86
BHPian

Hari_rama,Great pic again there man.Love everything apart from those tail lamps.I love the side profile with those alloys.This is the first time I've actually saved pictures of a baleno on my desktop.

As for people calling Palio owners noisy/overexcitable,
I was taught a nursery rhyme in...well pre school:-
When youre happy and you know clap your hands......
When you're happy and you know and you really gotta show,when you're happy and you know it clap your hands!!
The clapping of hands was followed by tapping feet and snapping fingers!

Blame it on the bloody nursery rhyme
Palio non owners are more concerned about fe,service and lack of spares than Palio owners themselves.
Palio owner - "Palio is great......."
Non owner- "But what about Fe?"
Palio owner -"I love my car more than my wife,girlfriend,.... er male partner!"
Non owner- "But what about spares?"
Palio owner - "Palio blah blah..."
Non owner- "Alright man,you are going to repent having bought that car.Blah,Blah....."
Palio owner- "Sweet"
Non-Owner - "Salty"
Owner- "Sweet"
And the argument continues.....

Last edited by roms : 13th November 2006 at 20:36.
Old 13th November 2006, 22:37   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
SB, you are right! The Mods need to rename the thread title now!
Old 13th November 2006, 23:00   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
True - nothing beats the excitement of running around to get the spares for a car that no one is interested in reparing.
Nothing beats the pain of spending 9-10 lacks still people claiming a car costing 5-6 lacks as better.
Old 14th November 2006, 00:21   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas
Nothing beats the pain of spending 9-10 lacks still people claiming a car costing 5-6 lacks as better.
If a car worth 5-6 L were really better, it would sell .... and re-sell.

Nothing beats the poetic justice of the indian market, where each paise's worth is extracted in kind.
Old 14th November 2006, 01:20   #90
BHPian

well this thread seems to have come a long way.

i distinctly remember i the day i first took the test drive of s10 edition palio some 4 year ago. the dealer bought if from godown where it was cooling its heel. i was with my friend and he took the keys.
i sat beside him not aware i have to make a post 4 year later. it took off, my friend face was my feedback form. we comfortably touched 100 and i could figure by his face he was enjoying, then it started climbing and his face could not hide his shock, the speedo was going crazy in no other test drive we crossed 100, it was 150 when my friend guts could not cope up with the car ability and gave up. as car and my freind returned to normalcy. i could feel the beats of my heart. had it not been a very strong backlash from every corner of the world that car would have been mine then and their.

4 years after ikon and now recently vtec. i thought i had enough of "safe thinking" can you guys imagine buying a polio just after 3 months of vtec but then "i had do a favor to this life".

i think we all are entitled to love and be passionate about our cars and let it be anything. some car do have that special gift of touching your heart as no other can.

my only advice to people out here is you go for a particular car for various reasons. and we do make compromises (as i did for palio A.S.S, FE etc) the manufacure of this car certainly made it with a lot of passion and apart from it their is hardly other factor which will make one to go for it.
ofcourse it has not been a box-office hit but cars i guess are like films. lots of maker make it for business. very few make it purely out of passion. please do not be surprised if you find such "creatures" loving their cars like god not withstanding the great risk, FE, and other demons

P.s beleno in my opinion suffered from brand image problem, i have seen couple and the obove one looks impressive, also maybe this thread is about palio and beleno, i dont think others should take offense
peace!

Last edited by fight_club : 14th November 2006 at 01:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks