Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2017, 10:57   #1
BHPian

If you wait over 3 minutes in a toll station, you needn't pay toll?

A RTI application has revealed that users need not pay toll of the wait time is more than 2 mins and 50 secs. Not sure on how this will be implemented. However I feel this a good news for all !!

https://thelogicalindian.com/awarene...nutes-waiting/

Last edited by SDP : 18th July 2017 at 13:16. Reason: fixed the link
sairamboko is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 11:14   #2
BHPian

re: If you wait over 3 minutes in a toll station, you needn't pay toll?

That was very informative and useful, Sairamboko. Thank you for sharing. Is this valid across all national highways, all toll plazas?
Old 18th July 2017, 11:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
That was very informative and useful, Sairamboko. Thank you for sharing. Is this valid across all national highways, all toll plazas?
That letter is from NHAI, So it should be applicable for all NHAI tolls. We can try having a print out of this letter and fight it out at tolls where there is a delay, if required. But its not as easy as it sounds.

Last edited by arun_josie : 18th July 2017 at 11:30.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 11:27   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Another 'rule' that exists only on paper and can never be practically implemented. Why do they bother coming up with all this? Who are they trying to fool?

At what point do they start measuring the time? How is it measured? Is it measured in all lanes or only in a select few? How does the system accomodate or adjust adjust if someone cuts into your lane? What happens in the vehicle queued in front of you stalls or breaks down? What about local politicians/goons who'll argue with the attendant and waste everyone's time, and not pay?
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 11:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Who is going to argue with the Toll collectors? How is the time calculated? How will it be enforced? What if a toll operator doesnt follow? On paper yes, in reality Hell No!
extreme_torque is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 11:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Another 'rule' that exists only on paper and can never be practically implemented. Why do they bother coming up with all this? Who are they trying to fool?
It may not be because of this directive but for ease of traffic management; but I've heard this about the Manesar toll: if the lines extend beyond the U-turn area, they let off vehicles without collecting money. Happens almost everyday during peak hours.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 11:49   #7
BHPian

I have watched WhatsApp videos and have received forwarded post on this. I have tried to ask for the toll waiver at Dankuni (Kolkata entrance via NH2) toll and on Dhulagarh toll (Kolkata entrance via NH6). Both the time I am told by toll both staff that they don't have any such circular or order hence everyone must pay toll.

Mind you, in late evening time, one would spend more than 10/15 mins in those two toll plaza due to heavy truck traffic.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 11:50   #8
BHPian

Though the rule sounds fair on paper, not sure how effective it would be assuming none of the people manning the tolls would be aware of such a directive. You would end up piling up on your agony of already waiting in line, and then explaining/quarreling with the attendant, and thereby increasing the overall delay for all people involved. Would be happy to see otherwise.
jayded is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 11:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded
You would end up piling up on your agony of already waiting in line, and then explaining/quarreling with the attendant, and thereby increasing the overall delay for all people involved. Would be happy to see otherwise.
Tell me something. Isn't this a duty of government auditor to make sure this rule is followed ?

As far as I am aware, most of the toll plaza and toll collection is out sourced to private agency. All most all toll plaza have very well CCTV coverage.

So it is very easy for an auditor to check whether this rule is followed by the toll plaza or not. I wonder why would a road user has to ask for waiver ?
Old 18th July 2017, 12:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Tell me something. Isn't this a duty of government auditor to make sure this rule is followed ?

As far as I am aware, most of the toll plaza and toll collection is out sourced to private agency. All most all toll plaza have very well CCTV coverage.

So it is very easy for an auditor to check whether this rule is followed by the toll plaza or not. I wonder why would a road user has to ask for waiver ?
What you've mentioned here is the ideal scenario, and the previous post of yours is how the real world scenarios work. Unless it becomes a well-announced guideline across the length and breadth of our vast NH network, the rule might, well, remain on paper and one more point for road users to be frustrated about.
Old 18th July 2017, 12:06   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Not exciting and neither surprising; Simply because we know all know the sad reality!

There are many toll booths where you even see small little boards that mention the maximum allowable queue length (JAS Toll Plaza and NBTL Plaza near Bangalore) but seldom are these rules followed and one easily manages to wait more than 10-15 minutes on a normal weekend. The state of affairs on a typical extended weekend is a mess.

On top of this, just look at the way even the famed automated toll system like the FASTag is managed on a regular day with not so unusual traffic:

If you wait over 3 minutes in a toll station, you needn't pay toll?-slowtag.jpg

Here, last Sunday, I seemed like the most dumbest driver on this lane, with a false pride of having the FASTag thinking to beat the queue on adjacent lanes only to realise that even the FASTag lane was catering to regular vehicles! Trust me, the scene was exactly same at 3 more booths that followed after this.

The only landmark judgement from the honorable Supreme court in favor of we commuters was after it intervened to address the mess created at the Gurgaon Toll Plaza connecting Gurgaon and New Delhi. For sure that was a huge relief for DL-GGN regulars.

Quote:
Anguished over the frequent traffic chaos on the Highway, the High Court had on September 4 restrained the Delhi-Gurgaon Super Connectivity Limited ( DGSCL) from collecting toll tax on the Delhi-Gurgaon expressway for 15 days, saying that the concessionaire had not been able to ensure free flow of traffic on the expressway
And this thread is referring to a response to RTI query that dates back to 2016:

If you wait over 3 minutes in a toll station, you needn't pay toll?-tollrules.jpg

I am not against paying toll for Good roads. I will pay for faster and better roads. They save Fuel, time and the life of my car's mechanicals.

But then, It becomes a nightmare to get stuck every other hour and then crawl to pass that booth. Not to forget the fact that those cars and Buses you overtook before are happily waiting to cross the booth on adjacent lanes next to you. FASTag today has only made things better but not completely though as you would actually get stuck behind Trucks with FASTags while the cash lanes are faster than this.

As my friend Funkykar had made a point during one of the drives few weeks back, they must instead make Automated Toll collection mandatory for everyone and have just one lane catering to cash, that too with a minimum of 20-30% extra over Automated users. It doesn't matter if you are a daily driver or not when the system is designed to deduct only when you travel. This way you make everyone use the Automated system.

Till this (or something even better) happens, we can jump to momentary joy reading such articles

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th July 2017 at 12:19.
paragsachania is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 12:42   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

And there is this tweet as well - nothing seems to be in sync!

If you wait over 3 minutes in a toll station, you needn't pay toll?-1500361935476.jpg

On today's social media, anything and everything goes viral!
abirnale is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 12:46   #13
jpm
BHPian

I spend more than 3 minutes everyday. I have never ever seen tools operating in all lanes. Half of them are closed with the workers hanging around chatting with each other. Either that, or its some apprentice who finds it tough to find each letter on the keyboard and type it.

Fastag lanes are closed usually too.

a bit off topic, I wonder why two wheelers / autos are exempt from toll collection? I feel a lot of accidents maybe avoided and the locals will use alternate routes rather than the toll road if they are charged for it.
jpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 12:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm
I wonder why two wheelers / autos are exempt from toll collection? I feel a lot of accidents maybe avoided and the locals will use alternate routes rather than the toll road if they are charged for it.
I guess the issue will go political if they try to implement toll on two wheeler.

But here in Kolkata, the Vidyasagar Setu (2nd hoogly bridge) do collect toll on two wheelers.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 13:43   #15
BHPian

Re: If you wait more than 3 minutes in a toll station, you needn't pay toll? EDIT: Ministry denies r

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
And there is this tweet as well - nothing seems to be in sync!

Attachment 1658099

On today's social media, anything and everything goes viral!
Thank you Abirnale!! Apologies to everyone for misleading!
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks