Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2006, 17:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

This news will only result in even better cars for Indian customers.

As for JV with TATA I have said it before in some thread that TATA should only concentrate on Diesel cars where as FIAT should only manufacture Petrol cars. This way both companies can co-exists even if their car prices are ever to be equal in future.
Old 10th November 2006, 18:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Also the Ranjangaon plant is being refurbished after being flooded so they might be planning to use both plants to manufacture the Palio/Petra & the new site for the new models.
It is not their Ranjangaon plant that got flooded, but the Kurla plant.

It is good news that Fiat has confidence to pump in 2000 crores for Indian operations. But they need to get their strategies proper this time. It should not so happen that another 2000 crores end up in drain.

I also read in economic times report yesterday that Tatas are talking to Fiat to provide them the engine for their 1 lakh car.
Old 10th November 2006, 19:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But my concern is that whether they'll be able to sort out their old problems properly this time around. Its true that TATA is a good partner but they itself are no leaders in product quality or customer support. They might be better than Fiat but that's nothing to boast about!!
Very true. But together they may learn with time. After all Hyundai was no great shakes when they first started in the US. Look where they are now. Tata has the network, Fiat the technology and both can piggyback on each other.
Old 10th November 2006, 19:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
This news will only result in even better cars for Indian customers.

As for JV with TATA I have said it before in some thread that TATA should only concentrate on Diesel cars where as FIAT should only manufacture Petrol cars. This way both companies can co-exists even if their car prices are ever to be equal in future.
You mean we should be denied of World class (Fiat) diesel engines? No..
May be we can say that "TATA should only concentrate on low end Diesel cars".
Old 10th November 2006, 19:56   #20
Team-BHP Support

But for LINEA with 140bhp diesel..and costing 7-8 lakh..sounding bit abnormal to me.
And that's according to Autocar...A car of a Civic size and with that price band...

Well if Fiat can make it, great. Love to own that in pitch black..
Old 10th November 2006, 21:07   #21
BHPian

TATA clearly has the advantage here. Getting know how from each of its collaborator. Benz / Fiat (My peugeot body has the old "T" logo stamped on it).

Just cannot imagine what FIAT can gain from this alliance, except for the wide TATA service network.

Better be benefical for the Customer in the end.

Else the 2000 Cr might go in a flood again.
Old 10th November 2006, 22:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
But for LINEA with 140bhp diesel..and costing 7-8 lakh..sounding bit abnormal to me.
And that's according to Autocar...A car of a Civic size and with that price band...
What if they plonk in the new Safari's 2.2 litre Diesel into it? They might still be able to meet the priceline. Still a bit unbelievable - Fiat's rating in Financial Markets has remained unchanged this year as the institutions believe that it takes more than a Grande Punto for a complete turnaround. One swallow does not a summer make, etc etc were being quoted.

I'll believe this when they actually put in the money - we've heard a lot of talk from this manufacturer over the last few years. Lets see some action now.
Old 11th November 2006, 11:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

dont worry the new bravo is coming out and it is believed to be even better that what the Punto is.

the most important thing is that perspective on this forum has itself changed on Fiat cars,many who doubted whether they will be around in 2006 must be surprised.

the thing now going for Fiat is that the Indian public has now warmed up to cars that are bigger and less efficient than the Zens and santros,what the palio was when it was launched,so a car like the grande punto with decent efficiency and selling at tata showrooms will definitely generate a lot of interest.
Old 11th November 2006, 20:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

However, doesn't it seem that the alliance is going too slow! Its like taking an eternity to even get a facelifted Palio on the road, forget new launches.
Old 13th November 2006, 17:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Rs. 2000 Crores!?!

What for? Do they need that much money for getting their Ranjangoan plant running, launching just 2 new cars and increasing dealerships and service centers? Fiat never does any marketing or advertising so I am sure not a paisa will go towards that from the crores they are getting! The Ranjangaon plant is ready. All they need to do is probably get the tooling and machines in order and they will be ready to roll. Besides weren't they gonna sell off the huge Kurla plant? Imagine the money they would make by sale of that land. Also, what are the targets they are setting for their new cars? The new Palio will keep selling about 100-150 units monthly. The Linea is not a volume product and the Grande Punto is a premium hatch. They better get some intelligent financial guy to look into investments here. Also, they need to ask all the Italians to go back to Turin and leave the management to Indians.

Quote:
Even I have doubts about the pricing of the Linea. Most of these auto mag's have a tendency to get over-excited about new products. Maybe the base petrol version will be priced at about Rs. 7.5 Lacs ex-showroom. The top end 1.9L 140bhp should cost at least 9.5 Lacs ex-showroom IMO.

Last edited by amit : 13th November 2006 at 17:21.
Old 13th November 2006, 17:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen

Well if Fiat can make it, great. Love to own that in pitch black..
I would doubt this price band. The mags have previously too been very optimistic about product prices to grab headlines & give the companies some excitement in the market. Also whatever the price selling a premium product for Fiat is going to be a tough nut to crack. Their reputation over the past few years has done them no good at all, especially among the discerning customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
What if they plonk in the new Safari's 2.2 litre Diesel into it?
Will it have the necessary refinement to do duty in a C/C+ segment car?
Old 13th November 2006, 19:08   #27
Team-BHP Support

Slightly off topic.

Was reading a topic in the financial times. Fiat have staged a remarkable turnaround by

1: Taking tough and innovative decisions - licencing that diesel engine, cutting costs, strategic ties ups
2: By making cars that people want

While the likes of Renault and Peugeot are losing 5 million euro's/ day, fiat are making 5 million euros per day and have been able to buy the Ferrari stake back. They are in the process of rebuilding the service back-up- a big weakness.

Credit this to a strong manager who Fiat gave a free rein to.

Now comapre this to VW who have tossed out Mr '"fishtrousers" as Mr Clarkson would say, who wanted to take tough decisions including axing Piechs white elephants like the Phaeton and cut down on european costs. The management structure is so complex and union / govt ridden plus Mr Piech is so power hungry that things might get bleak
Old 13th November 2006, 19:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

What I seriously feel is, FIAT shoudl put those 2000 cr rupees to revamp the existing Delear network for better A.S.S. and the MOST imp thing they should do is to "Start marketting like a car company". No one can sale a car on mouth publicity... FIAT should have some advertisement which in turn will put some confidence in customers to would be customers... C'on in India even a small Pen manf company can give 50 ads a day, automobile manf company should have it right....

And finally the Ranjongaon plant... Ya some money will be forw to get it running... I hope someday I will be driving Punto and Linea here....

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
Palio 1.2 Sport / 13 KMPL / AND IT ROCKS !!!

Last edited by neoonwheels : 13th November 2006 at 19:13.
Old 13th November 2006, 19:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will it have the necessary refinement to do duty in a C/C+ segment car?
You can quote me on this - it will.

But lets not go off-topic here - PM me if you need to discuss further.

Most Viewed