Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2017, 07:58   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
Hi Guys,

Long and confused post disclaimer

So unable to get Jetta, I decided to book Vento but cancelled the booking after a week, since I just didn't feel like buying it. Have been saving again since then and now finally can afford one.

The problem is that now there is no Jetta. So back to Octavia. Heart says buy octavia 1.8, it's the only car you hv ever wanted. Mind says vento 1.2 is all the car you need.

Except that whenever I see octavia my heart starts to sing, eyes twinkle and there is a sheepish smile on my face. Good car/bad car, I just love the way it looks. Have loved it since the first version of it was launched.

Any idea what should I do???

Well, firstly the difference in price between both the cars that you have chosen is big enough to get a fully loaded B segment hatch back! If I'm not wrong, the Vento TSi costs some where between 14-15L on road whereas the Octavia 1.8 costs more than 22 or 23 L on road, so that's a big difference!

Coming to the cars, the Vento TSi is brilliant, had extensively test driven this car for a friend and I can tell you it's very good! And the Vento is still a very good car in spite of it being around for long. It will feel like a proper upgrade if you are moving from a SX4 in terms of build and overall quality levels.

On the other hand, the Octavia is a proper upgrade from a Vento or Rapid segment, so in that sense it's one level up from the Vento. Proper D segment car that's been rated better than any of the other D segment cars like Corolla or Elantra.

The only flip side I see in the Octavia is that it's not heavily localised, meaning some of the parts could be expensive and time consuming to replace. The Vento is a lot cheaper and easier to live with since the trio of Polo, Vento and Rapid have been heavily localised. Although the TSi engine and Gearboxes are complicated in their own right and may involve a lot of imported components.

If you can afford it and willing to live with the Octavia ( nothing wrong with the car, just need to be prepared for any eventuality ) then it is THE car. But if you want something easier on the pocket and also easy to maintain Vento TSi is a pretty good car on its own.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 08:10   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking

Personally, this facelift looks 100x times better. It looks simply.. different. After the unimaginative, rather poor facelift of the Yeti, and the Rapid, as also the tremendous downgrade from a beautiful car like the Laura to the 2nd gen Octavia which saw all of them look like either a Polo with an extended wheelbase or a Polo on stilts, this one completely eliminates the rectangular lights of the Polo and the family look disappears *gasp*, never thought VW had it in them to move away from this obsession.

They took a risk and it works beautifully, you can say that one light is attached to the grille and the other is a free-standing headlight. Love it. Skoda have also gone back to their roots of feature rich cars (the Laura) and since the Octavia no longer has to stand in the shadows of the Jetta they've loaded this one up with features. Time to also bring in the Fabia with such headlights and all the features like in the European variant.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 09:58   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Personally, this facelift looks 100x times better. It looks simply.. different.
I agree it is a pretty car, here are some pics that didn't make it to the report. See in full size by clicking on the pic. The thumbnail somehow spoils the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-p6210115.jpg  

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-p6210119.jpg  

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-p6210124.jpg  

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-p6210054.jpg  

Last edited by Samurai : 25th July 2017 at 09:59.
Samurai is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 11:16   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

The problem is that now there is no Jetta. So back to Octavia. Heart says buy octavia 1.8, it's the only car you hv ever wanted. Mind says vento 1.2 is all the car you need.

My needs are frankly not much. Usage is 800-1000 kms per month with 50-50 city highway split, so I guess petrol should be okay. I don't drive very fast so 1.2 tsi should have enough power for me. 90% of the time it is going to be 2 adults and 1 kid so again vento is good enough. Boot in vento is enough for our needs. I need an automatic with very good low end torque where also vento is decent. So basically vento seems to be perfect for my needs.

Except that whenever I see octavia my heart starts to sing, eyes twinkle and there is a sheepish smile on my face. Good car/bad car, I just love the way it looks. Have loved it since the first version of it was launched.

PS: SX4 had an accident last week. Everyone is safe and car just had some body damage, but dad for some strange reason has restricted it's use to city limits now. So need to get another car soon.

Honestly if you can, I think you should go in for the Octavia. I own a Vento TSI and I feel the Octi is a better car in every possible way.

There is obviously a huge price difference, but in my opinion it is worth every penny. The interior quality and materials are far superior, the engine is far superior, and its got loads more Safety Equipment.

Moreover since 50% of your driving is on the highway, this just makes more sense. Plus it seems pretty much like your dream car. Sometimes it is better to go with your heart. Life is too short not to
mrpitt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 11:57   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Long and confused post disclaimer

I currently own a sx4 and have been looking to upgrade for past 18-20 months now. Have been in love with octavia even before I knew how to drive. So have been saving ( I, for some reason, am averse to loans) for octavia for quite some time now.
There are some freakish similarities between our situations. I too own an SX4 and it's getting a bit long in the tooth now. I have also been looking out for a change for pretty much 2-3 years. After a long and confusing journey through the endeavors, fortuners, superbs etc of the world, I have somehow landed at the Octy.
I used to feel the same feeling about the Octy whenever I passed one on the road. I nearly bought the 2016 one but only the timely announcement of the 2017 FL stopped me from going ahead.
My driving profile is similar to you with a split between highway and city.
Finally I just went ahead and booked it.
My suggestion to you is to go ahead and buy- assuming the commercial situation works out. It's a great car and more importantly- is future proof. You won't need to look at any other car with a wistful eye for the next few years.
Good luck. We will all wait to know what you decided. Feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss.
pickdj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 18:41   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Octavia all the way. With the Vento, you will regret it every time you see an Octy, and you will see plenty of the facelifted model.

I always believe in stretching one's budget to the maximum (within reasonable limits) , incomes and aspirations keep increasing god willing.

I am in a similar position with the my MY16 Octy TSI Style+. Difference is I am hankering after the Superb AND the incoming VRS
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 05:37   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

On the other hand, the Octavia is a proper upgrade from a Vento or Rapid segment, so in that sense it's one level up from the Vento. Proper D segment car that's been rated better than any of the other D segment cars like Corolla or Elantra.
Actually, Octi is 1.5 segments above Vento. It is definitely, and quite easily, cut above Elantra, which in turn is a cut above Altis. Well, at least in the car feel department. Just compare base model Octy with middle-upper model Elantra. And feeling inside the cabin is unmatched by anything in nearby price bracket. While Elantra offers good interiors, once you sit in Octy, it will feel like 'what the heck is wrong with Elantra guys'

I am in market for pre-owned low-mileage D segment. Heart always gets stuck on lightly run Germans but these are even more unpredictable in used car market.
5kmiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 13:26   #53
BHPian

How reliable is the current generation Octavia? While the first gen was fairly reliable, the Laura had its fair share of horror stories. So how is the current gen Octy faring?
Old 26th July 2017, 13:44   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
How reliable is the current generation Octavia? While the first gen was fairly reliable, the Laura had its fair share of horror stories. So how is the current gen Octy faring?
Laura owner here, with a few Octavia owners in the friends circle.

To be honest, the diesel variant of both vehicles are quite competent and fairly reliable vehicles.
In the old Laura, there were problems with the initial batches, but the later ones are quite reliable barring a few small glitches - ABS sensor, etc.
Even the AC issue seems to be fixed.

The Octavia Diesel is no different, and is also quite reliable. Not Toyota excellent, but apart from a couple of small niggles - no major issues with anyone as yet.
Heck - I wouldn't mind picking one up myself; so hope that means something.

Trick is to avoid the first few batches of Skoda vehicles, especially those that have significant additions to the outgoing vehicle in terms of electronics and technology.
The Superb would be one I would buy after it's been in the market for 2 years; but the Octavia is similar to the Laura (engine, features, and transmission) and is fairly reliable.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 14:14   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I agree it is a pretty car, here are some pics that didn't make it to the report. See in full size by clicking on the pic. The thumbnail somehow spoils the pic.
Pretty may be. Beautiful ? i don't think so. For all the modernity in design, this car has lost its originality. Understated elegance has just gone too flashy. European castle made to look a modern concrete structure. This is how it looked not so long

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-octaviavrsfrontinmotion.jpg

Couple of nights ago, On a gaming network and in the middle of game, two blokes from EU were discussing how skoda screwed the octavia. I thought it wasn't just me.
blackbeast is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 14:37   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
This is how it looked not so long
I thought it wasn't just me.
You have one more bloke who thinks like you blackbeast

Looking at that pic that you have posted, it only cements my thought further. That is the Laura VRS (If I am correct), but man it looked out right gorgeous in that shade particularly.
Old 26th July 2017, 14:51   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pretty may be. Beautiful ? i don't think so. For all the modernity in design, this car has lost its originality. Understated elegance has just gone too flashy. European castle made to look a modern concrete structure. This is how it looked not so long
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
You have one more bloke who thinks like you blackbeast

Looking at that pic that you have posted, it only cements my thought further. That is the Laura VRS (If I am correct), but man it looked out right gorgeous in that shade particularly.
Add me to that list as well!

Although I admit the Octavia''s design is growing on me, I don't find it to be as elegant as the Laura. That Laura was love at first sight to be honest. My tuition teacher had a black one, and what a looker it was.

The previous Octavia wasn't bad either. I think they just took the critics too seriously. Many people thought the previous car looked vanilla, and looks like they overdid it this time round.

Either ways, a blue Laura VRS will always be my all time favourite dream car.
Old 26th July 2017, 15:16   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
More than fairly reliable i would say for the 2.0 diesel for the current gen. I had the Laura for over 5 years and 93k km and promptly replaced the Laura with the Octavia without even driving it once.

The thing with these cars is that you have to show them love- you abuse them, they WILL bite back (into your wallet mainly).

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 18:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1660720
This was, for me, the worst looking Octavia (Err, Laura) that was sold in India. The original Laura was beautiful, but the face-lift ruined it. But yes, the blue paint masks quite a bit of its ugliness.

For me, the current gen Octavia (pre-facelift) is the most handsome Octy ever.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 19:21   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
They discontinued the blue color!?!! Wth! It's possibly the sweetest color on the Octavia (at least the pre face-lift)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
Amen to that brother! The blue was definitely the best one of the lot. I tried very hard to find out if there is any way (official or otherwise) to get the new one in blue but no luck so far.
So I've actually booked the 2017 Skoda Octavia in Race Blue (1.8 TSI Style Plus). My sales guy said that apparently certain dealers have got limited stock of the red and blue Octavias in certain trims. I was offered a choice of six colors (4 or the official colors plus red and blue) when I booked and I naturally chose the blue which is what I have been eyeing even before the face lift was launched. I inspected the car allotted to me yesterday too and the VIN decoding points to a May 2017 manufactured model.

Most Viewed