Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2017, 19:26   #61
BHPian

What? Which city and which dealer? Can you please confirm? This is the new FL right? I just spoke to my dealer and he had no idea! Asked him to get me the blue color whatever happens. I am willing to wait. That's the one I originally wanted as well.
Old 26th July 2017, 20:14   #62
BHPian

Re: A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
What? Which city and which dealer? Can you please confirm? This is the new FL right? I just spoke to my dealer and he had no idea! Asked him to get me the blue color whatever happens. I am willing to wait. That's the one I originally wanted as well.
I am in Bangalore, dealer is Tafe Access. Yes, it is the new face lifted model. The dealer said that there were only a few cars in those colors and that only certain dealerships had them. It sounded really fishy to me so I only paid the booking amount and asked to inspect the car once it was allotted and delivered to the stock yard before I made the full payment. Turned out to be the FL car itself thankfully.
Old 26th July 2017, 21:45   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently saw a newspaper ad and it made me very curious about this hands-free parking. I can drive! But... OK, I am not as good and neat at some things as I might have been a decade or two ago, and parallel parking to a high standard, that is just a few inches from the kerb, in a tight space, is, to say the least, a bit of hard work.

Looks like this is auto-easy-only parking
Old 27th July 2017, 01:38   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
Hi Guys,

Long and confused post disclaimer

I currently own a sx4 and have been looking to upgrade for past 18-20 months now. Have been in love with octavia even before I knew how to drive. So have been saving ( I, for some reason, am averse to loans) for octavia for quite some time now.

People who know me, know that I have been confused about what car to buy for past 18-20 months. Have posted multiple queries on tbhp also. Around that time I had enough money saved to buy the car and started reading about octavia on tbhp. Read a lot of horror stories about octavia ASS and how Jetta is better, So decided to instead book Jetta. Now as luck would have it, some other needs arose and funds got diverted.

So unable to get Jetta, I decided to book Vento but cancelled the booking after a week, since I just didn't feel like buying it. Have been saving again since then and now finally can afford one.

The problem is that now there is no Jetta. So back to Octavia. Heart says buy octavia 1.8, it's the only car you hv ever wanted. Mind says vento 1.2 is all the car you need.

My needs are frankly not much. Usage is 800-1000 kms per month with 50-50 city highway split, so I guess petrol should be okay. I don't drive very fast so 1.2 tsi should have enough power for me. 90% of the time it is going to be 2 adults and 1 kid so again vento is good enough. Boot in vento is enough for our needs. I need an automatic with very good low end torque where also vento is decent. So basically vento seems to be perfect for my needs.

Except that whenever I see octavia my heart starts to sing, eyes twinkle and there is a sheepish smile on my face. Good car/bad car, I just love the way it looks. Have loved it since the first version of it was launched.

Any idea what should I do???

PS: SX4 had an accident last week. Everyone is safe and car just had some body damage, but dad for some strange reason has restricted it's use to city limits now. So need to get another car soon.
Of course Octavia is a better car, there is no dispute there. You will enjoy driving the Octavia for a week, maybe a month. After that you will get used to it and the wow factor will decrease. You shall look at the Ventos and think - "how bad can it be?" and "I could have saved 7-8 lacs." If you buy the Vento, you will always wonder that you would have really enjoyed driving the Octavia. So, the grass will always be greener on the other side. It is human nature. I'd advise on saving the 8 lac and envying the greenery rather than the other way around. Of course, if money is a non-issue by all means, just splurge and acquire the Octavia.
invidious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 07:27   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
So I've actually booked the 2017 Skoda Octavia in Race Blue (1.8 TSI Style Plus).

I inspected the car allotted to me yesterday too and the VIN decoding points to a May 2017 manufactured model.
Great news! Probably Skoda CZ's India allocation plans have very limited kits in these colours, and hence Skoda India haven't included them in the launch pack.

Once the Race Blue and Rio Red stocks build up, they will spring a official festive surprise in a couple of months :-)
Old 27th July 2017, 12:38   #66
BHPian

This might be a little tangential, but assuming budget is not a constraint, what does a C250d or 320d M-Sport offer over the 1.8 TSI Style-Plus.

Yes there are the following pros with the Mercedes and BMW,
  1. Brand recognition
  2. Better torque due to the diesel engine
  3. Rear wheel drive
We can debate fit and finish being better in MB and BMW. All three cars are comparatively unreliable as compared to their Japanese counterparts.

From an enthusiasts (not caring about the brand) point of view, does it make sense to pick a C250d or 320d M-Sport over the 1.8 TSI? Or, save the 20+ lacs and spend on upgrades, etc.
Old 27th July 2017, 22:22   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
I am in Bangalore, dealer is Tafe Access. Yes, it is the new face lifted model. The dealer said that there were only a few cars in those colors and that only certain dealerships had them. It sounded really fishy to me so I only paid the booking amount and asked to inspect the car once it was allotted and delivered to the stock yard before I made the full payment. Turned out to be the FL car itself thankfully.
Do share pictures if possible. Any clue if these other colours came in the style model. Tried to get a look at the style model (not style +) and they didnt have any at Tafe Access.
Thinking of getting the 1.8TSi Style, in spite of the scary gearbox.
Do let me know if you could manage some discounts at all.
Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 22:47   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
This might be a little tangential, but assuming budget is not a constraint, what does a C250d or 320d M-Sport offer over the 1.8 TSI Style-Plus.

Yes there are the following pros with the Mercedes and BMW,
  1. Brand recognition
  2. Better torque due to the diesel engine
  3. Rear wheel drive
We can debate fit and finish being better in MB and BMW. All three cars are comparatively unreliable as compared to their Japanese counterparts.

From an enthusiasts (not caring about the brand) point of view, does it make sense to pick a C250d or 320d M-Sport over the 1.8 TSI? Or, save the 20+ lacs and spend on upgrades, etc.
BMW 330i may be a great option. Great driver's car with 250+ HP and I believe there are very good discounts available. Not sure I would invest in a high end diesel at this time when Diesels are falling out of favor across the world due to the deception and eyewash actions by the German car majors as they promoted them aggressively over the last 15 years with no regard for NOX pollution.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 09:29   #69
BHPian

I drove the car yesterday, I honestly thought the drive would blow my mind. It didn't. People keep raving about the 1.8 dsg. Didn't feel so much different than my vento TSI. But then I test drove very sedately. What I loved was the sunroof. And the fact that they are giving 4 year warranty. Also the new headlamp look waaaaay better in real than pics and videos online.

Was initially looking at the petrol auto style about 22 lacs on road mumbai. But then my 3 year old daughter just loved the stupid ambient lighting on the door handles inside the car. And the sunroof. That settles it. I have to now pay 3 lacs more for some light and a hole in the roof of the car and get the style Plus. So that's 25 lacs on road. The figures are for guys wanting to buy and want to know prices.

No discounts as it a new car says the fellow from JMD Andheri East.
derek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 09:55   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
I drove the car yesterday, I honestly thought the drive would blow my mind. It didn't. People keep raving about the 1.8 dsg. Didn't feel so much different than my vento TSI. But then I test drove very sedately. What I loved was the sunroof. And the fact that they are giving 4 year warranty. Also the new headlamp look waaaaay better in real than pics and videos online.

Was initially looking at the petrol auto style about 22 lacs on road mumbai. But then my 3 year old daughter just loved the stupid ambient lighting on the door handles inside the car. And the sunroof. That settles it. I have to now pay 3 lacs more for some light and a hole in the roof of the car and get the style Plus. So that's 25 lacs on road. The figures are for guys wanting to buy and want to know prices.

No discounts as it a new car says the fellow from JMD Andheri East.
With the higher power, you'll see the difference on the highways. Sedate driving would not give you any indication of this car's "fun" quotient. I was recently a passenger in one and boy, that car can fly on the highways.

Love the quip about the kid, glad you got the roof hole and the light for 3L. That's the cost of a peaceful road trip. It is definitely worth it.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 10:44   #71
BHPian

I also requested them to turn the park assist off. I'm already getting sleepless nights imagining my wife trying to use that bit of technology to squeeze into a lil parking space in a crowded mall parking lot.
Old 28th July 2017, 14:01   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
I also requested them to turn the park assist off. I'm already getting sleepless nights imagining my wife trying to use that bit of technology to squeeze into a lil parking space in a crowded mall parking lot.
I tried that when I took a TD and it just refused to work! Many back and forths later I finally gave up and parked manually.
Congrats on the buy! It's a great one and will keep the kids happy for some time at least. That's my plan as well. I wish they had provided a small stool for the young 'uns to stand.
Old 28th July 2017, 14:54   #73
BHPian

The arm rest or the hump on the back seat floor should take care of that! Lol

I must say, the new look front headlamps really look good in the flesh! I'll have to probably attend a one week tutorial before I learn to put on the wipers. Oh wait.... not needed, the wipers come on automatically haha
Old 28th July 2017, 18:23   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Once the Race Blue and Rio Red stocks build up, they will spring a official festive surprise in a couple of months :-)
According to the dealer those two colors are being saved for the vRS models which will be launched later this year. Take that with a pinch of salt though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nan View Post
Do share pictures if possible. Any clue if these other colours came in the style model. Tried to get a look at the style model (not style +) and they didnt have any at Tafe Access.
Thinking of getting the 1.8TSi Style, in spite of the scary gearbox.
Do let me know if you could manage some discounts at all.
Thanks
Sure thing, will post pics once I get the car. I did not ask about the availability of the colors in other trims, sorry. I could not get any discounts.
Hells_Fury is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 00:24   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
I have a C250d and test drove both 1.8TSI and 320d (Sportline and not M Sport)

There is nothing to compare the 500 NM torque rush from a 250d. Post 10K kms, the engine has become butter smooth and gives a rush whenever the accelerator is even slightly pushed. The interiors are super premium. Feels totally worthy of the extra money paid.

That said, it is not a corner carver for which 320d does a better job. 1.8TSI is really good, but it cannot be compared to either of these two cars.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed