Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2018, 18:47   #316
BHPian

Re: A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Hi all

So my sales associate is saying that they won't let me do a PDI before temp registration, and that this is skoda policy. Can anyone help me connect with someone at skoda who can help and preferably is active here?
Hi StevieG,

I would suggest you threaten to cancel your booking( I hope you have not yet paid the entire amount). This will put the sales guy in line and he will let you do a PDI.

There is no point in trying to reach out to a higher official at Skoda. Tell him no temporary registration without PDI and that you will not release payment and will cancel your booking as that is your policy.

These guys think it is a joke buying a 30lakh rupee car. He is just trying to close the sale fast.

I would suggest you drive down to the stock yard rather than having the car brought down to the showroom.

Last edited by Shanksta : 15th January 2018 at 18:55.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 18:56   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
This doesn't make sense at all. Tell your SA that they don't need to bring the car to the dealership but you can visit their stockyard to perform PDI.

He might be concerned about driving the car on road (read stockyard to the dealership) without temp registration.
Just take a day off and go to the stockyard. Request them to keep the car clean, but they may not agree as Skoda ships vehicles with the white cling wrap on most panels.

At least take loads of pictures and tick off the TBHP checklist. Document any issues. Jot down the VIN and run it through a free or paid decoder on the Net.

Don't pay one paisa without visual and VIN confirmation!
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 19:12   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
This doesn't make sense at all. Tell your SA that they don't need to bring the car to the dealership but you can visit their stockyard to perform PDI.
My preference is to go to the stockyard. I've waited for 3 months, what's another week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Hi StevieG,

I would suggest you threaten to cancel your booking( I hope you have not yet paid the entire amount). This will put the sales guy in line and he will let you do a PDI.

There is no point in trying to reach out to a higher official at Skoda. Tell him no temporary registration without PDI and that you will not release payment and will cancel your booking as that is your policy.

These guys think it is a joke buying a 30lakh rupee car. He is just trying to close the sale fast.

I would suggest you drive down to the stock yard rather than having the car brought down to the showroom.
He tried to get me to make full payment this Saturday, I told him he could 'fornicate' right off. My preference is to go to the stockyard as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Just take a day off and go to the stockyard. Request them to keep the car clean, but they may not agree as Skoda ships vehicles with the white cling wrap on most panels.

At least take loads of pictures and tick off the TBHP checklist. Document any issues. Jot down the VIN and run it through a free or paid decoder on the Net.

Don't pay one paisa without visual and VIN confirmation!
I saw your previous post and decided that driving to the stockyard was the best bet. Ideally, I'll go on a Saturday and get this sorted, but the wiseguy SA is saying "Skoda doesn't allow it only sir"

There's been a new development as well today.. Autohbahn told me on Saturday that I will need a police NOC on my lease agreement for registration as per their RTO contact. My landlord is in the US, but I am trying to get this sorted anyway. I called him today and said "Look, I'm aware that I'm paying a premium for the convenience of you guys sorting out the registration for me, but if I have to run around for the police, I might as well run around the RTO, get self-registered and save some cash, as their website makes no mention of NOC. It only says address proof and age proof is required". Now he has the cheek to tell me that Skoda doesn't allow self-registration.

At this point, I lost it and told him to not give me BS, and have asked him to confirm this 'Skoda policy' on email.

I will update you good folks here on progress, but for now, steer clear of Autobahn Prabhadevi please.

(Sorry for the wall of text)

EDIT: ->
Folks, I would like to thank you for your inputs and give you an update on my situation, which I feel should be resolved. Fingers crossed, hopefully smooth sailing from here.

I asked my SA to confirm in writing that Skoda policy prohibits a PDI and self-registration, and called twice to chase. Today, his stance changed to: Pay, vehicle moves to workshop in Kurla (not stockyard in Bhiwandi as mentioned previously), show up when Autobahn does its own PDI, car gets registered, take delivery.

This was a step in the right direction, I said I would think about it and visit the police station to see if I could get an NOC done (they were still reluctant to let me do a self-registration). This evening, I had a surprisingly pleasant experience at the Khar police station (hats off to Inspector Shinde) and got my NOC done in under 5 minutes. I called him and he was again mentioning payment to be done in full now. However, as the conversation carried on, he let it slip that someone's car just showed up and he's received full payment just now. At this point I politely interjected and said clearly I have the option to pay after the vehicle lands in Mumbai based on what you're telling me. Finally, he says that if that's what I want to do, that's what they will do.

So now I'm waiting for an email saying that the car is here. I see this as an agreeable situation as the car will be transported on a flat bed, and not driven. However, the fact that the last week or so has felt like a battle of wits leaves a slightly bad taste in my mouth. Buying a car this expensive is a special experience, and you shouldn't be made to feel like you are in a zero sum game against the company.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th January 2018 at 19:00. Reason: Post edited to add text.
StevieG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 10:40   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Got a small heart attack few days back. Car was on ghats uphill on way to Pune, afternoon time, bumper to bumper traffic, very hot conditions. "Gearbox overheating, continue driving after which gearbox overheating pull over " message. Happened once.

Once got out of traffic, normal drive. Kinda scary.
Hi Derek, I drive the POLO GT TSI and the owners manual has a mention of the same. It says in traffic if ever the gearbox heats up, an error light will lit up. All you need to do is take your car off the road for few mins till it cools down post which you can restart and zoom off. This seems to be the suggestion for the DQ200 dry clutch gear box. Since they have covered this point in the manual, it is very comforting. I have not come across such an incident, but whenever it does, will definitely not panic!

All the best as you munch more miles..Beautiful car! Beautiful Color
RJ2285 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 17:54   #320
BHPian

If that’s the case can’t it be driven 3-4 hours at a stretch?

I drove my SX4 continuously for 4 hours on the hyd-blr highway.
Old 16th January 2018, 19:16   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keralite View Post

I drove my SX4 continuously for 4 hours on the hyd-blr highway.
Incorrect. The DSG message came up only after sustained bumper to bumper traffic on an uphill stretch on a hot day. The DSG constantly shifts upto 2 from the 'crawler' first gear in the interests of fuel economy. In such jammed stretches, it is advisable to move it to the manual mode and lock into first gear.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 19:37   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keralite View Post
It can. Overheating happens in conditions where the drivetrain is stressed, like the situation mentioned in the post. Shouldn't affect highway cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
...Car was on ghats uphill on way to Pune, afternoon time, bumper to bumper traffic, very hot conditions....
Old 17th January 2018, 09:46   #323
BHPian

Hi All,
How do you turn of the park assist? I was driving my cousin's 2017 Octavia and the warning keeps coming up whenever some vehicle or pedestrian is near the car. It gets annoying after some time in Bangalore's traffic. I deactivate it by pressing the button to turn it off, but it still comes on after some time. It's annoying as the music volume also goes down and when the traffic is clear, the volume increases.

Any idea how to activate it only when required?
Old 17th January 2018, 10:37   #324
Senior - BHPian

There must be an option to deactivate 'automatic activation' from the touch screen 'car' setup menus. It's there in my pre-facelift so should be there in the face lift models too. But don't deactivate the maneuver braking.
Old 17th January 2018, 21:03   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post
Hi All,
How do you turn of the park assist?
Hey! Go to Car -> Settings -> Parking & Manoeuvring. Under Park Pilot, you'll see an option, "Activate Automatically". This will be ticked by default. Just untick it. Problem solved.
krishnadevjs is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 09:39   #326
BHPian

Cross posting from Kodiaq review, have question regarding manually putting the park assist in perpendicular parking mode, assuming the park assist system works same in as in Octavia, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4341671

-Pramod
Old 19th January 2018, 10:01   #327
BHPian

Hi guys thanks for the posts, puts my mind at ease now for a while. However do I need to get the car to the service station for a checkup? Could anything have been damaged or worn due to the DSG warning?
Old 23rd January 2018, 14:44   #328
BHPian

Dear All,
After waiting patiently for months ( from Oct 4th ), I made some nasty calls and wrote strong mails to Skoda Customer care on my delivery. Now the dealer is talking about the car delivery ( Style , 1.8 TSI ) in about ten days. But says , Cars prices have changed from the booking time and I have to pay 40K extra. Wanted to check with Fellow BHPians if this is normal and if you have any advise? My point is I was ready take the delivery from the time I booked the car, company delays the delivery and says prices have gone up!
Old 23rd January 2018, 16:43   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikrishna717 View Post
Dear All,
Now the dealer is talking about the car delivery ( Style , 1.8 TSI ) in about ten days. But says , Cars prices have changed from the booking time and I have to pay 40K extra.
Unfortunately, you will have to cover for the difference. It's the case with any car you would purchase. The price you need to pay is the price on the day of delivery
Old 4th February 2018, 21:36   #330

Hi all

I finally got delivery yesterday, the delivery experience was well managed by the folks over at Autobahn Prabhadevi. The car was covered in red velvet when we walked in, there was a sign congratulating us when we walked in, the sales manager and the GM took time to speak with us. I gave them honest feedback on the PDI and RTO 'adjustment charges' they were demanding (to cut a long story short... I refused, and said I'd cancel my order before I paid a bribe, and then they finally got the registration done). My SA took a lot of time to go ver the various features of the car, at no point was I rushed.

Now to the car itself, my frame of reference is my 2011 Honda Civic. I miss the raw power delivery of the civic, possibly has to do with adjusting to an automatic transmission, rather than the manual I'm used to. I noticed the DSG switches to 7th gear at 70 km/h or so in normal driving! The suspension is something else, car goes over rough patches with the utmost ease, and pairs really well with the Michelin PSTs that I got as soon as I took the car in. The tyres are silent and make for a comfortable, yet planted ride.

One thing for iPhone users, Apple CarPlay and Bluetooth both don't seem to work with the voice command button.

The sound system is strictly okay, and not worth all the fuss they make at the dealership.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the car, and am looking forward to some out of town road trips in the near future.

Again, I want to thank you guys/gals for your advice, you definitely made it easier negotiating through the confusion of the Skoda sales force.
StevieG is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks