Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2017, 08:32   #1
BHPian

Scoop! Production of Abarth Punto resumes

A reliable source told me that 40 Abarth have been manufactured last week. That includes 4 Black ones.
Moto_Hill is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 11:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post
A reliable source told me that 40 Abarth have been manufactured last week. That includes 4 Black ones.
Yes, they are manufacturing primarily on need basis. I know someone who picked an exotica red punto evo 90 hp recently. It was not in stock, was manufactured and delivered in 20 days (booking to delivery lead time).
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 17:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Production of Abarth Punto resumes.

Thanks to BHPian YCJ for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

The 2017 make Abarth Punto is now available in showrooms. The first batch of 40 cars has been produced and dispatched to dealerships. Production of the car was stopped sometime in 2016 as Fiat had many 2015 make vehicles lying in stock. It was rumoured that normal production would resume after June 2017. Further, due to the upcoming Jeep Compass, the company's assembly line was being upgraded. The factory has now resumed production of the Abarth Punto in both colour options - Pearl White and Hip Hop Black.

The Abarth Punto is powered by a 1.4-litre T-Jet petrol engine that makes 145 BHP and 212 Nm of torque. Despite being one of the the most powerful hatchbacks available at the price, on an average, it was selling in just single digits per month for the last 6 months. While those preferring the Pearl White colour could still get a car built in 2015, fans of the Hip Hop Black shade were disappointed due to the lack of production. With production resuming, this colour will once again be available for buyers to choose.

Cosmetically, there won't be any changes to the vehicle. However, it is rumoured that the cars will be equipped with the 5-inch touchscreen infotainment system with offline maps, 4-wheel disk brakes, ABS with EBD and dual Airbags as standard. The Abarth Punto is priced at Rs. 9,90,000 (ex-showroom Delhi).

Link to Team-BHP News.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th July 2017 at 17:59.
blackwasp is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 20:07   #4
BHPian

Why?

at least they could have added an AMT to the Abarth, in fact to the entire Fiat line up which is essentially 2 Cars. In another 1.5 years the current Punto would be a decade old, with only a Mild face lift in between. Yes, the car still looks good, but definitely starting to show its age.

Quote:
The long termer is an abarth punto too and although there are no surprises, the highlight of poor brakes are something of a surprise to me!
Thats a big surprise, the braking even on the usual Punto is pretty good, infact it so good that I brake so late that my wife thinks I am overdoing it.

Last edited by anand.shankar : 17th July 2017 at 20:11.
Old 17th July 2017, 20:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
at least they could have added an AMT to the Abarth
Glad they didn't do it. With the GT TSi Sport available with a DSG, an AMT would have destroyed whatever goodwill was remaining for the Abarth, the big capacity engine notwithstanding. This dead thread would have exploded with anti-AMT posts.

It will anyways be a niche volume seller, with the reputation of the brand always weighing it down. Oh yes, the long throw gearbox and ergonomics too, before someone qoutes me for that.

However, for those who were considering it, the price which looked eye watering initially looks rather acceptable now, as the market has moved much forward as compared to the November of 2015.

Let's see some of the other options with better engines than their regular variants.

Baleno RS - 8.53L
GT TSI Sport - 9.81L
Elite i20 1.4 Magna 4-speed automatic - 8.96L.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 12:48   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! Production of Abarth Punto resumes

Production of Abarth Punto resumes - posts moved to a new thread.
Old 24th July 2017, 16:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

What stops them from adding another colour or two to the options list, a red and a blue would definitely bring in more flavour.
Old 9th October 2017, 16:08   #8
BHPian

Just curious. Has anyone here received or heard of anyone actually receiving delivery of a 2017 manufactured Abarth Punto?

I am asking because, it has been 9 weeks since I booked one (2nd August 2017), and my dealer doesn't appear to be having any clue as to when it is going be delivered. The initially promised delivery date of 15th September has come and gone.
1. The news reports about restarting of production mentioned 40 units being manufactured in July 2017. However, only 14 cars have been shipped from July onwards - 12 in July, 1 in August and 1 in September).
2. Clearly no production has taken place in last two months atleast - presumably in favor of the Jeep Compass production
3. If 40 were made in July and only 14 have been sold, why is there still such a long waiting period?

So, the question is there really a commitment for continued production of the Abarth Punto or has Fiat developed cold feet again? While the longish waiting periods for such cars is understandable, the complete lack of information and uncertainty makes it difficult to plan for ones commuting needs in the interim.

Finally does anyone have contact details of anyone higher up in Fiat sales from who we could glean some clear information?
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 16:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Just curious. Has anyone here received or heard of anyone actually receiving delivery of a 2017 manufactured Abarth Punto?

Finally does anyone have contact details of anyone higher up in Fiat sales from who we could glean some clear information?
One person in KL has got a 2017 black Abarth. Changes include touchscreen system and removal of the door of the sunglass compartment (on the dashboard).

I know the CRM in Fiat, incase you want his contact details, I can share his email / phone with you.

EDIT - Did you contact other dealers ? Pune dealer has 2017 make cars, but no discounts. Mumbai dealer has sold a couple 2017 make cars. I know this as a friend has booked abarth in Mumbai and is expecting delivery in Diwali. Car is a 2015 make.

Last edited by blackwasp : 9th October 2017 at 16:23.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 16:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
One person in KL has got a 2017 black Abarth. Changes include touchscreen system and removal of the door of the sunglass compartment (on the dashboard).

I know the CRM in Fiat, incase you want his contact details, I can share his email / phone with you.

EDIT - Did you contact other dealers ? Pune dealer has 2017 make cars, but no discounts. Mumbai dealer has sold a couple 2017 make cars. I know this as a friend has booked abarth in Mumbai and is expecting delivery in Diwali. Car is a 2015 make.
Thanks @blackwasp.
I have checked with other dealers in Mysore and Bangalore. None of them have the car in stock. Buying from outside Karnataka maybe too much of a hassle.
Would be grateful if you could PM the e-mail ID of your contact in Fiat CRM.
Old 9th October 2017, 17:31   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly OT. What I'm wondering is, why are no other car-makers other than VAG not really keen on R&D investment (& actual resulting product) for a sporty fast dual-clutch transmission like the DSG for the mass market? There is no doubt that there is a good market ready to buy those products - even a glance at the number of POLO GT TSIs being sold confirms that.

A dual-clutch auto in an Abarth Punto would literally reset the fortunes for this car as well as Fiat in general in the passenger car segment IMHO. A large powerful engine coupled with a gearbox with negligible transmission losses will always be an awesome package.
Old 9th October 2017, 18:00   #12
BHPian

was thinking of upgrading from my 2014 Punto Evo 1.2 active to a diesel Punto.

Vecto is offering emotion varient (2016 make) at 7.7L on-road and also offering 3L approx for my 28K run 1.2 active. for 2017 model 9L+ is being quoted for OTR

Since we are already in Oct of 2017, does it make sense to go for 2016 model?

Abarth is out of my budget but am keen on dynamic/emotion diesel varient. any suggestions in this regard?

Last edited by ant_vas : 9th October 2017 at 18:02. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 9th October 2017, 18:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks .
I have checked with other dealers in Mysore and Bangalore. None of them have the car in stock. Buying from outside Karnataka maybe too much of a hassle.
Would be grateful if you could PM the e-mail ID of your contact in Fiat CRM.
KHT Motors in Koramangala IRR offered a test drive of a Abarth Urban Cross, that came with the touch screen ICE.

I was told they received 4 cars recently; You can connect with them for the booking, if needed.

I am torn between the Abarth Urban Cross with 200 mm ground clearance and the Punto with 155 mm; given the road conditions in Bangalore. I am yet to book one though, since there are no offers (except for a measly 4K corporate discount).
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 18:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
KHT Motors in Koramangala IRR offered a test drive of a Abarth Urban Cross, that came with the touch screen ICE.

I was told they received 4 cars recently; You can connect with them for the booking, if needed.

I am torn between the Abarth Urban Cross with 200 mm ground clearance and the Punto with 155 mm; given the road conditions in Bangalore. I am yet to book one though, since there are no offers (except for a measly 4K corporate discount).
Thanks @Rocky_Balboa.
The Urban Cross is available at Mangalore too. Its the 145PS Punto that is hard to lay hands on. I am quite sure that I want the Punto and not the cross variant.
Old 6th December 2017, 14:12   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @Rocky_Balboa.
The Urban Cross is available at Mangalore too. Its the 145PS Punto that is hard to lay hands on. I am quite sure that I want the Punto and not the cross variant.
Did you manage to get Abarth Punto? I wanted to know about availability in Karnataka or Kerala.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks