Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 11:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra KUV100 NXT. Now launched at Rs. 4.39 lakh

Earlier this year, we had reported that Mahindra is working on a refreshed version of the KUV100. Now, a test mule of the car has been spotted near Chennai.

Mahindra KUV100 NXT. Now launched at Rs. 4.39 lakh-kuv100-facelift1.jpg

The heavy camouflage does not reveal much about the vehicle. However, media reports have suggested that Mahindra may tone down the styling of the vehicle to make it appear less quirky. The spy images indicate that Mahindra has updated the front end of the car with a new grille and bumper with tweaked intakes along with revised headlights and fog lamps. At the rear, there are tail lights with reworked detailing and a bumper with less creases. The test mule is seen sporting 15-inch alloy wheels with a new multi-spoke design.

Mahindra KUV100 NXT. Now launched at Rs. 4.39 lakh-kuv100-facelift2.jpg

As far as the interior is concerned, it is not clear whether there are any major changes carried out.

The KUV100's current petrol and diesel engines are expected to be carried over unchanged. The 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine produces 82 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 115 Nm @ 3,500-3,600 rpm. The 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder turbocharged diesel makes 77 BHP @ 3,750 rpm and 190 Nm @ 1,750-2,250 rpm. At present, Mahindra offers the KUV100 with a 5-speed manual transmission only.

Mahindra KUV100 NXT. Now launched at Rs. 4.39 lakh-kuv100-facelift3.jpg
Mahindra KUV100 NXT. Now launched at Rs. 4.39 lakh-kuv100-facelift4.jpg

Source: Indian Autos Blog

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 31st July 2017 at 11:25.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 11:30   #2
BHPian

re: Mahindra KUV100 NXT. Now launched at Rs. 4.39 lakh

There hardly seems to be a facelift!

The awkward curve in the body panel, below the rear window still exists, tyres are still puny.

The only things which look changed are
  • Rear tail light design
  • Red-highlight in headlamps seems to be missing. Maybe the goggles are gone

They could have made it look better this time around with some clean lines and better tyres! Sigh!
dheepak10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 11:48   #3
BHPian

The rear wiper seems to have changed now. It is similar to what we see on modern cars today. Currently the KUV has an ugly and outdated type of rear wiper which were seen in pre 2000 era cars like zen, santro etc.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 17:32   #4
BHPian

Looks like they got rid of the ugly looong headlamps and replaced it with more mature units.
Here are the pictures for reference:
Mahindra KUV100 NXT. Now launched at Rs. 4.39 lakh-mahindrakuv100frontthreequarter41024x682.jpg
Mahindra KUV100 NXT. Now launched at Rs. 4.39 lakh-kuv100-facelift1.jpg
Sorry for the bad quality pictures.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 16:50   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The KUV100 is awfully quirky & ugly; however, Mahindra should keep it that way . If it was a clean design (say, like the Celerio), it would sink without a trace. The design & Mahindra brand are what differentiate it from the others in a crowded segment. It sure generated interest from folks in semi-urban & rural areas - I've seen it firsthand.

What Mahindra needs to do is work on the KUV100's highway behaviour & steering calibration.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 17:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The KUV100 is awfully quirky & ugly; however, Mahindra should keep it that way . If it was a clean design (say, like the Celerio), it would sink without a trace. The design & Mahindra brand are what differentiate it from the others in a crowded segment. It sure generated interest from folks in semi-urban & rural areas - I've seen it firsthand.

What Mahindra needs to do is work on the KUV100's highway behaviour & steering calibration.
Ugly is fine if it is proportional atleast. KUV100 is ugly because it is unproportional and that is its biggest falling else we have cars like Nissan Juke doing fairly okay.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 17:40   #7
BHPian

I remember that a lot of owners had issues with the fuel efficiency of the petrol KUV100 when it was launched. Did they manage to resolve it later?
Apart from the aesthetics, the positioning of the middle seat on the front row needs to be looked into. It is exceptionally unsafe. There are people who think it is a six seater, but it is not. If having a continuous bench was the definition of a six seater, even the Padmini and Ambassador would have qualified. It is a shame that these features can be irresponsibly advertised without any regulatory obligation in India.

I agree with the observation that the ugliness has contributed to the success of this model. Even if you do not want to, your reflexes make you take a second look at this car when it appears on the rear-view mirror. There's nothing as disproportionate as this model in this class of cars in India. Nissan Juke is loud, but the design is coherent. That is not a compliment many would give to the KUV100.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 18:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

On first look, I thought, ok, that looks a lot better, only to get disappointed when it dawned that it's the camo. Actually, Mahindra should launch a color just like the camo and call it 007 shade or something. It hides the ugly design very well.

Seriously, they need to get rid of this thing, or at least the extra height if it stays. Fiddling with cosmetic parts won't help. Once this is done, I guess they will move on to facelift the NuvoSport.
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 19:08   #9
BHPian

I find it heartbreaking that people are calling KUV100 ugly.

Guys, c'mon. For a second think about Mahindra Nuvosport. Wouldn't you take KUV100 any day? I would.

This facelift again is a half heart-ed, hotch-potch effort of Mahindra. Mahindra just seems to want a product in every category. Good or bad - who cares? Lets just get some numbers - seems to be the strategy.

I believe this has only made M&M not lose market share. And certainly not helped gain market share.

To end, point is -> 1 awesome product is worth 5 'whatever - me-too' products!
OrangeCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 07:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

KUV is one of the most unsightly cars ever sold in our market! I still cannot digest the way it looks on road.

Mahindra should have copied the Tivoli as such, after all that one looks good for a Ssangyong! Instead Mahindra got 'inspired' by the Tivoli and used some repulsive details.

The much better looking TUV has slowly and steadily gone past the KUV in terms of monthly sales.

Mahindra has got way too many also-rans in the portfolio currently. Its amazing how they manage the supply chain.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:45   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
I remember that a lot of owners had issues with the fuel efficiency of the petrol KUV100 when it was launched. Did they manage to resolve it later?
Car was silently recalled & updated. Here's an owner commenting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk_kapoor View Post
In chennai they did a recall for all petrol owners and did a software upgrade. I have driven nearly 800 kms after this and see good increase in mileage. It has gone up from 9 to 11 in the same route i drive everyday. Easily a 20% increase in mileage. I am now a happy owner

Also i was informed that the change was done mostly to the AC usage while idling and very minimal changes to air fuel ratio. I see a difference in cooling, but it still serves the purpose good in chennai heat. In the power part i really dont see any changes atleast in my driving style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
On first look, I thought, ok, that looks a lot better, only to get disappointed when it dawned that it's the camo. Actually, Mahindra should launch a color just like the camo and call it 007 shade or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
Guys, c'mon. For a second think about Mahindra Nuvosport.
I have to sheepishly admit that I like the NuvoSport's front styling. Obviously don't like the ugly side & rear though.

Quote:
To end, point is -> 1 awesome product is worth 5 'whatever - me-too' products!
Very well said
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
  • Red-highlight in headlamps seems to be missing. Maybe the goggles are gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
Looks like they got rid of the ugly looong headlamps and replaced it with more mature units.
I think you guys are mistaken. That part of the headlamps does not serve any function, so it is covered by the camouflage. When comparing the two pictures it seems clear to me that the headlamp extensions are still very much present.
Old 3rd August 2017, 00:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

I know, it is something next to impossible. That is, to make the KUV look better. But I did try and gave it a shot. Tried, as if I was on a budget.

I changed the headlamps, made them bigger. Changed the grill, altered the bumper and the airdam. Enlarged the fog lamp, changed the fender. And upsized the rims.

It's still quirky. But, a bit lesser.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra KUV100 NXT. Now launched at Rs. 4.39 lakh-mahindra-kuv100-2017.jpg  

ashutoshb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 03:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I know, it is something next to impossible. That is, to make the KUV look better. But I did try and gave it a shot. Tried, as if I was on a budget.
It's still quirky. But, a bit lesser.
Well done! This looks wayyyy better than the original. I think you design changes to the fender might improve the they-must-have-been-high-when-they-designed-it side profile a little bit too.
Amartya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 07:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

KUV1OO on test, apart from its exterior styling updates it is likely to get the center console revision to accommodate a touchscreen infotainment unit.

Mahindra KUV100 NXT. Now launched at Rs. 4.39 lakh-mahindrakuv100faceliftspyimagesfrontangle.jpeg
Mahindra KUV100 NXT. Now launched at Rs. 4.39 lakh-mahindrakuv100faceliftspyimagesinteriorsteering.jpeg
Mahindra KUV100 NXT. Now launched at Rs. 4.39 lakh-mahindrakuv100faceliftspyimagesrearangle.jpeg

link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks