Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2017, 18:15   #61
BHPian

Re: Ford CFO comments on the company's Indian operations

I find the statement from Ford rather positive. "Everything is on the table" to me means heads are going to roll, tough questions asked about why Ford is unable to succeed the way Maruti & Hyundai have in India. This statement from the CFO to me is more of a due diligence exercise aimed at restructuring operations for the better.

As per Ford India Wiki, Ford has been in India as much as Hyundai. They started in 1995 partnering with Mahindra and increased their stake in 1998 to 72% to found Ford India. But they haven't been able to crack the market like Hyundai did.

Last edited by veyron_head : 7th August 2017 at 18:16. Reason: Grammar
Old 8th August 2017, 16:03   #62
BANNED

It is quite a tricky situation for Ford. I would like to quote the example of Figo/Aspire twins here. When The Classic and old Figo were doing duties for Ford in India, we all asked for something fresh and up-to-date design. Some complained of lack of power, heavy steering, less cabin space and even a low ARAI rating for FE.

To address all the above, Ford got the Figo twins, replaced the old 1.4 68hp engine with the 1.5 TDCI which is an absolute stonker and even got in the EPAS with pull drift feature. To increase the power to weight ratio and even FE there was a slight compromise in terms of the build quailty wrt. the previous models from Ford stable. Agreed. But is it possible for any car to tick all the boxes? People now complain of poor build etc but at the same time tin cans from Maruti stable fly off the shelves.

Service costs have been constantly reduced and even adverts were screened to spread the awareness, baby parts program has been launched and in-spite of all this, ask any buyer today in the market about Ford and all we hear is it is expensive to maintain.

When the mindset is such, what is it the manufacturer can do? In a way I feel Ford is right in not bringing the Escape and Focus to India. They just cannot bring in adequate volumes!

Last edited by Kishen.padiyar : 8th August 2017 at 16:19.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 16:45   #63
BHPian

Well there is a reason why people tend to work within their limitations but to their strengths. Ford's strength is no cheap garbage tin cans. Once Ford started manufacturing cars with compromised build quality and questionable driving dynamics, their dug their own grave. Ask Maruti to sell a strongly built vehicle and see the end result. Well you get S-Cross which absolutely struggles to even find a customer. Baleno boosterjet is another example. I feel manufacturers should try to build vehicles to their strengths and not mirror what sells the most. Hence the reason why I feel Ford should launch Focus. Maruti is literally unknown in that price point and can be taken for a royal ride by the more entrenched folks.
Old 8th August 2017, 17:00   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
It is quite a tricky situation for Ford. I would like to quote the example of Figo/Aspire twins here. When The Classic and old Figo were doing duties for Ford in India, we all asked for something fresh and up-to-date design. Some complained of lack of power, heavy steering, less cabin space and even a low ARAI rating for FE.

To address all the above, Ford got the Figo twins, replaced the old 1.4 68hp engine with the 1.5 TDCI which is an absolute stonker and even got in the EPAS with pull drift feature. To increase the power to weight ratio and even FE there was a slight compromise in terms of the build quailty wrt. the previous models from Ford stable. Agreed. But is it possible for any car to tick all the boxes? People now complain of poor build etc but at the same time tin cans from Maruti stable fly off the shelves.

Service costs have been constantly reduced and even adverts were screened to spread the awareness, baby parts program has been launched and in-spite of all this, ask any buyer today in the market about Ford and all we hear is it is expensive to maintain.

When the mindset is such, what is it the manufacturer can do? In a way I feel Ford is right in not bringing the Escape and Focus to India. They just cannot bring in adequate volumes!
True!!! Long back, my brother used to have 1.8 Ikon and it was absolute delight to drive, except for the maintenance part then, which was too costly. But, over years, the cost of maintenance have gone down significantly for Ford and I guess its lower than the unreasonable rates for Hyundai/ Honda. Though Ford is trying hard to highlight the 'easy-on-pocket' maintenance aspect now, the impression of 'being tough on pocket' got imprinted so much into the mindset of people now, wrongly with many persons making wrong generalized statements. I know may people who have never owned/ driven Ford making such generalized statements to others just because they heard it from someone else.

The present Ford misses the real DNA of Ford - 'JOSH' and build-quality. even the Ecosport which is relatively more involving can't hold candle to the Fords of yesteryear. Probably, if Ford brings that undiluted JOSH back to their lineup, more serious auto lovers would definitely have a serious look at Ford showrooms. In that case, it would be a sweet justice at the time when flimsy vehicles are sold as 'Premium vehicles' through 'Premium' outlets for extra amount.
Old 22nd August 2017, 08:56   #65

Are you sure that JSP Ford is same as Lathangi Ford ? I need to change my front shock absorbers . I was happy with Lathangi service for 8 yrs since I bought by Fiesta 1.6 . Now not sure where to go , Elite Ford in Whitefield or JSP Ford in the old Lathangi locations - please suggest , or should I move to Metro Ford ?
Old 10th August 2018, 10:30   #66
Senior - BHPian

This is some good news for Ford India and should put concerns of their future in India to rest.

Fords-india-operations-close-to-posting-profit-this-fiscal

We need manufacturers like Ford to give us those affordable driver focused cars, and this will also be a confidence booster for other OEM's that you can make money in India even if you are not Suzuki or Hyundai.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 10th August 2018 at 10:44.
fiat_tarun is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks