Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you want your next car to have a built-in Dashcam?
Yes 361 88.70%
No 20 4.91%
Don't care 26 6.39%
Voters: 407. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2017, 12:19   #31
BHPian

Re: Why don't cars come with dashcams as standard fitment?

I voted Yes. I had installed one in my Quanto (purchased from Aliexpress and the cost was around Rs. 1200), it was a good camera with decent quality for videos shot at night. While selling off the car, I forgot to include the camera in the 'excluded accessories' list while striking deal with the buyer and hence had to let go of it. I had bought a similar camera for my S-CROSS from Aliexpress, but it was not as good as the one I had been using and it got damaged within 1 month. Later I bought SJ4000 WiFi from Amazon and it is working fine. My first camera used to start recording if it detects any motion infront of the vehicle, but the one I am using now is not doing that.
dudevarkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 19:17   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
So my question is that when it is so easy and inexpensive, why don't OEM's provide it as a feature in their cars straight from the factory.
What? That's a really bad idea!

Preinstalled dashcams that probably cannot be turned off at will, are a huge no-no for anyone who has a secret love life! Imagine the escapade with the secretary being discovered by the tech-savvy wife (or vice versa!).

I'm guessing a vast majority of cars with preinstalled dashcams will report with bad/no image quality issues during warranty - until the technician discovers traces of insulating tape glue around the lens. Heck, these glue traces (along with the videos) might even be sent for forensic analysis!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 7th August 2017 at 19:19.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 19:29   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
But would installing a dashcam affect the warranty if it is hard-wired? The Nexa dealer seemed to indicate so, but honestly she didn't even know what a dash-cam was and confused it with a reverse camera.
If wired without cutting any wires, with use of fuse taps, then they cannot object to warranty being voided.

But as you said if they haven't heard of dash cams, they haven't heard of fuse taps and hence would say bye to your warranty
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 19:44   #34
BHPian

I'm an unabashed admirer of Dashcams, and the below YouTube video will succinctly explain why. It also came to my rescue as a result of an accident circa 10 days ago, and ofcourse this act.

In summary, there was a complete lockdown in Kerala last Sunday and I had to take my older kid to the closest hospital as he was running high fever. I was accosted by these fellows and blocked from proceeding further- please continue to watch till they try to place a slab in front of the vehicle.

They made me delete the videos on my iPhone, and also from the 'Recently deleted videos'- little did they know that the 'Third Eye' a.k.a Dashcam discreetly recorded the shenanigans.

It's a RESOUNDING yes for a Dashcam !!!

jacobvarughese is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
. I had to settle for a 2 airbag version of Aspire automatic, just because Ford thinks that people like me isn't a priority. If at all I want to upgrade to an Automatic with 6 airbags I have to look at City,Ecosport and then the Octavia.
Maybe a bit OT, but this is what I can't understand.

In fact automatic cars must have all the safety features, since there is no way to use gear-control in an emergency. My i10 AT does not have ABS nor does it have air-bags ! So in effect a highly unsafe car.
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 16:25   #36
BHPian

Interesting concept but understandable that car companies might not be willing to implement it.

I have installed a third party front arm rest in my Hyundai Xcent and had asked my service centre manager why they do not provide such accessories as options. He said that offering it is not a problem but then the clients expect quality after sales service as well. It seems Hyundai was offering arm rests as an optional accessory earlier (don't know if that is true) but then they started getting complaints about creaking and vibrations from the installation. Therefore they have stopped offering that anymore.

Coming back to point, dashcams are honestly not known for their long term reliability. I had bought a Mini 0806 which worked fine for a grand total of 3 trips before it stopped working. I had sent it back to the seller in China who repaired and sent it back and it then worked for 2 more trips before going kaput. I have now ordered an Viofo A119 v2 as it has a capacitor instead of batteries and supposedly lasts longer.

Now imagine the headache the service centre will have with a bunch of people yelling at them as the dashcam has stopped working. Also, considering people do not keep a close eye on these plug it and forget it accessories, they will probably realise it has stopped working after an accident or when its use is required. Then they will hold the company responsible for not providing a quality product.
praveen789 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 16:44   #37
BANNED

I was visiting my BOL, when he got his X-Trail in Tokyo last year that comes with additional feature called evidence camera or something like that, apart from bird view cameras and other loads of cameras and sensors. He didn't opted for it as that cost double than a gopro there.
What I understood, in case of accident, local police do take footage from dash camera if the car is equipped with one as evidence, but having a dash camera is not mandatory.

I think, as in India, law doesn't accept video as evidence, hence no real craze for dash camera and hence no such option from manufacturers.
I would love to have a factory fitted one in my next car if they are available as accessories. Even rear parking cameras are getting standard, then why not dash cameras?
On the flip side, miscreants can use it to recce a victim or may be stalking.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 19:16   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
BMW India has it listed under accessories. Very expensive though!!
I thought the price is reasonable considering this is a Full HD resolution camera and detects impacts.
Boomerang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 22:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
I'm an unabashed admirer of Dashcams, and the below YouTube video will succinctly explain why. It also came to my rescue as a result of an accident circa 10 days ago, and ofcourse this act.
While I wholeheartedly agree with the utility of Dash cam I would prefer if manufacturers's provide the necessary infrastructure to integrate (plug n Play) a Dashcam instead of a standard fitment. Right now while we have a choice of Dash cams there is no single car which is dashcam friendly either with respect to easy plug-in power socket (near the dash or mount point) complete with wiring and fuse or a proper slot to mount the dashcam.
While there are no standards yet but car companies should work towards it.
Bottomline: people should have have a choice like they used to have with Audio installations and also be discrete with it.
In Jacob's situation above, I would prefer that hooligans have no public knowledge of Dashcam being available on a car model the same way all mobile phones come with a camera now.
DWind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 22:45   #40
BHPian

Dashcam in cars, an absolute yes! Would prefer it factory fitted rather than fiddling with electronics and installing it as an after market accessory. In my opinion customer awareness regarding the dashcams would also be very low.

Car makers have now started offering critical and basic safety features like ABS and Airbags, by that standard dashcams are a long way to go.

If you have noticed, VRL Volvo buses are fitted with cameras in the front and rear. They are like those CCTV cameras which we find in shops or offices (highlighted in red). At that price point if Volvo is not offering it, expecting car manufacturers to offer it is a long shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Why don't cars come with dashcams as standard fitment?-picture1.png  

scwagh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 10:20   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
While I wholeheartedly agree with the utility of Dash cam I would prefer if manufacturers's provide the necessary infrastructure to integrate (plug n Play) a Dashcam instead of a standard fitment. Right now while we have a choice of Dash cams there is no single car which is dashcam friendly either with respect to easy plug-in power socket (near the dash or mount point) complete with wiring and fuse or a proper slot to mount the dashcam.
Agree with you, all it takes it to provide a USB port for power near the IRVM housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwagh View Post
If you have noticed, VRL Volvo buses are fitted with cameras in the front and rear. They are like those CCTV cameras which we find in shops or offices (highlighted in red). At that price point if Volvo is not offering it, expecting car manufacturers to offer it is a long shot.
The Cameras in the transport sector were started after repeated complaints of petty theft and unruly passengers. When the cameras were installed with the DVR, I guess they figured they might as well add External Cameras too.

From the employers perspective the cameras are more useful to see if the driver is driving in a rash manner or not.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 10:26   #42
BHPian

Privacy/security concern.

Recording someone or some place may not be allowed due to privacy law or security reason. If this is a standard fitment, car maker can be held responsible.
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 21:50   #43
BHPian

Actually, if dashcams can be linked to insurance premiums.

Companies abroad are already collecting data to map a driver to a risk category.

The basic logic is that if a driver is ready to install a tracking device, he is a safer driver than someone who outrightly refuses.
Over the period by analysing the driving habits (speed, locations, number of sharp decelerations etc) an algorithm will classify the driver as a low risk/high risk person (and the car as well) thus adding premium to the riskier drivers.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 21:56   #44
BHPian

In a country like ours where even side mirrors are not mandatory, not at all surprising that dashcams are not yet standard. May be higher segment cars might offer them but budget cars might not have them in years to come.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 11:35   #45

Why Dash cams are essential in India?

We all know how good Indian drivers and driving conditions are. Also in case of any incident how helpful local Police can be especially when you don't speak their language. I learned my lesson the hard way. In Nov 2016, I went to Rameshwaram on official duty. While returning this incident happened somewhere between Karaikudi and Pudukottai. While taking an S curve in village limits, A govt bus's rear end hit my Innova's tail light as the bus driver understeered at the curve.

Since I didn't know the local language, and neither did they speak English or Hindi, I couldn't handle the situation properly and had to return with the broken taillight. In the office, I claimed the vehicle was hit when it was parked. That day I went through a lot of youtube videos and saw how accidents happen and then realized even I should have a Dashcam.

After a lot of market research and suggestion from my biker friends, I settled for SJCAM 5000 wifi. This captured many events while I was driving but then one-day when I was coming back to Bengaluru with my colleagues, this unfortunate incident happened.

So this Activa guy was traveling with his friend who was not wearing a helmet and was in a hurry to reach hostel in Yalahanka (Both are nursing students from a different state). As soon as they overtook me, they saw Police interceptor with speed camera, so to evade them they came right but there was already a bus so he applied brakes. At that time my vehicle hit the scooter causing them to fall.

Both were immediately rushed to the hospital, Boy had minor injuries but Girl was injured seriously, she got 3 stitches on her lips and she also injured her tongue. Since Police was already present at the scene both vehicles were taken to the station, My car was released when they saw the video but they have booked the boy for rash driving and a cumulative fine of Rs 2000.

My bumper also got damaged and I paid for their treatment in hospital but did not register any case against them for any claim since they were students and it was an unintentional accident.

As per hospital staff and Police, Both were very lucky to survive an accident at such high speed. I was driving at 60 so they must be around 70-80. Moreover, My vehicle was released only because I had the evidence and accident or else its usually the bigger vehicle or the person who hits from the rear is blamed.

Here again, a point to be noticed, Any dash cam is not good enough, Rather looking at a cost we should go for picture quality and how quickly data can be transferred.
Some other incidents captured,

Last edited by GTO : 15th March 2018 at 09:08. Reason: typos
bravo_romeo is offline   (25) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks