Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2017, 16:15   #16
srh
BHPian

Re: July 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Looking at the numbers, it seems like most manufacturers manufactured vehicles and kept them at their factories through Jun-17. All these were then sold to dealers in Jul-17.
srh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 16:40   #17
BHPian

July 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I underestimated WR-V. Looks like it's doing really well for Honda.

Jazz seems to have rebounded from June as well - volume doubled. So my prediction that WR-V sales are eating into Jazz seem to be wrong and they both seem to be catering to different markets mostly.

Overall, a good month for Honda and their target seems to be to capture that 4th spot from Toyota. And Mahindra is not too far at 3rd (~1k difference). Am surprised on this rebound.

Last edited by GTO : 8th August 2017 at 11:49. Reason: typos
Yieldway17 is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 7th August 2017, 16:54   #18
BHPian

Awesome numbers for Maruti. The upswing in numbers for Baleno and Brezza is great news for them, also Alto has rebounded to 26k+ which is its high point in 1+ years (maybe more).

I observed one mismatch in the Jeep number Vs the D1 chart. The numbers show Jeep Compass at a count of 935, however the D1 chart while showing Compass in the legend, there is no dot/ indicator for compass in the actual chart. This may need to be fixed.
sahibrain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 18:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Maruti had Diwali already in the last month. 153 K cars in a single month is just mind boggling. Total sales more than 52% says it all. When you see the competition, it has more importance. Credit to their sales and service team. Kudos to them.

Top 6 cars are all from Maruti Just amazing. Hyundai needs 2-3 more models to compete with Maruti. Others are way behind actually. Toyota numbers has GST impact, these are not real numbers. Tata is doing good, but need to do much better. Hope Nexon will be rightly priced. Honda doing average, nothing to write about.

One question - Why Jeep has separate name in the list? Isn't it included with Fiat??
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 21:41   #20
BHPian

Please don't go by these numbers. Manufacturers did not push their products in pre GST month. It's only in this month they pushed the extra numbers. Hence the spike. Let's watch next month.
Carma2017 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 21:49   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
One question - Why Jeep has separate name in the list? Isn't it included with Fiat??
Renault, Datsun and Nissan
VW and Skoda.

Aren't those under alliance ownerships as well? Jeep and FIAT have far less in common (atleast in the Indian context) than the above examples.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th August 2017 at 21:52.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 22:34   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is because the luxury car makers (At least the big three-Mercedes, BMW, Audi) do not officially share the sales/dispatch numbers.
No, I think there is some data available, though mentioned indicative.

Quote:
Why would we not have the luxury car makers numbers. Quite a few of them make more numbers than say Fiat.
pretty close, have a look

http://www.autopunditz.com
Attached Thumbnails
July 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-screen-shot-20170807-10.33.24-pm.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th August 2017 at 22:37.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 22:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Please don't go by these numbers. Manufacturers did not push their products in pre GST month. It's only in this month they pushed the extra numbers. Hence the spike. Let's watch next month.

Yes true! Most manufacturers like Toyota held off their shipments due to GST in June. This has resulted in unusually high number of cars shipped in July for certain vendors. Some (like Honda) went the other way where they offered price protect for customers buying in the pre GST regime. With more changes being made to GST for premium cars I believe we will need to watch the figures of the next couple of months to understand the impact.

WRV seems to be doing well going by the last 3 months. It would be interesting to know how much of it is petrol considering the uninspiring feedback that the engine has received for the car.

There is a high fraction of compact sedan sales which come from yellow number plates. Is there any break up? That I feel is an interesting stat as most cars do not open up for sale to taxi aggregators.
feluda86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 10:23   #24
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the July month statistics

As it is evident, July month's sales are clearly impacted by post GST numbers.

1. Not surprised by Crysta and Fortuner's numbers - last 2 month's average of Crysta is 5,219 and that of Fortuner is 1,900 which is normal for them in pre-GST era.
2. Tigor sold lesser than the older Zest, which is really a surprise.
3. Are those 12 Chevy Beat sold to Taxi market?
4. Grand i10's volume are impressive that it never went below 12K units this year, running almost neck to neck with Swift.
5. Baleno has now become a clear number one in B2 Hatchback segment beating i20 hands down.
6. City and Ciaz are still neck to neck and we need to what impact the New Gen Verna will have on their numbers.
7. Dzire stagnated after a very good facelift, while Xcent has taken a clear lead over Amaze in the Compact Sedan segment.
8. Finally, Honda tasted some success with WR-V, while BR-V has become a sales dud.
9. Hexa seems to stabilising at 1,000 units, which is pretty low for such a VFM product.
10. With the grand entry of Compass, need to see its impact on Tucson, Tiguan, Creta, Hexa, XUV and the D Segment sedans.
jpcoolguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 12:03   #25
BHPian

Unbelievable figures from Maruti and surely their boardrooms must be portraying a happy picture! Stock markets are also happy with the stock and lot of brokerages have it as a "buy" recommendation.

On the flip side, assuming Maruti remains conservative in powering its cars, it would not be good for the overall market. If all manufacturers start concentrating on mileage and not performance, AMT and not DSG, etc, cars might just become very boring in the future!
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 12:07   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, removed some off-topic discussions. Jeep will retain an independent entry on our sales reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
It is because the luxury car makers (At least the big three-Mercedes, BMW, Audi) do not officially share the sales/dispatch numbers.
They used to at one point; then, the 3 Germans got into the 'I'm the No.1" bragging rights game, even publishing newspaper ads on the "best selling luxury brand in India" theme. A little after this, they mutually decided not to release individual sales numbers.

The leading brand (currently Mercedes) does release its quarterly sales figures, but they aren't detailed at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Looking at the numbers, it seems like most manufacturers manufactured vehicles and kept them at their factories through Jun-17. All these were then sold to dealers in Jul-17.
Absolutely correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
No, I think there is some data available, though mentioned indicative.
We've earlier noticed many inconsistencies in the luxury car data, hence stopped including those.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 13:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

The numbers are definitely not the true picture. We must look at the average of June and July numbers together to cancel out the GST related corrections.

Honda and other OEM's must be really scratching their heads on how they WRV is doing so well! It is nothing but a jacked-up up Jazz and Honda isn't the first to do this. I am honestly surprised looking at the numbers for the WRV.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 13:41   #28
BHPian

Some vehicles I just wonder - why they sell in such huge numbers!
I mean, what "value" they offer for the prices that they retail at (OTR prices that is).

Celerio
WRV
Innova

My wishlist for deserving top 10 (no offense to anyone):

1. Alto
2. Tiago
3. Wagon R
4. Grand i10
5. Swift
6. Elite 120
7. Baleno
8. Ecosport
9. Vitara Brezza
10. Ciaz
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 15:19   #29
BHPian

August would soon see a jump in booking, thanks to GST council endorsement, for the segments affected! And Government is keen to implement it at the earliest!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/59960047.cms

However, this seems really immature to play with policy decisions! In India where the taxes and cess are already very high, GST concession came as the breather. Not only customers and auto business as a whole, but such move would question the policy stability in the name of correction.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/59966266.cms

Whatever, this GST rollback, and the way it is being tackled, are certainly going to impact lot more than the sales itself!

Last edited by kbishwa : 8th August 2017 at 15:20. Reason: Grammar
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 12:58   #30
BHPian

Maruti in a nutshell,

1. 52.14% market share in overal July Sales.
2. 7 Out of top 10 Selling models of July 2017 are from Maruti.
3. 5 Out of top 10 Selling HachBacks are from Maruti.
4. BALENO-Top selling Premium Hachback is from Maruti with 110% growth.
5. Dzire- Top Selling Compact Sedan is from Maruti(Even after 24% decline)
6. CIAZ-Top Selling Sedan is from Maruti with 24% growth.
7. BREZZA- Top Selling compact SUV with 49% growth.
7. ERTIGA- On MUV sale Maruti has safly acquired second place

In short "Maruti" is that 'Sharma Ji Ka beta' for rest of the companies.
KiranPatil is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks