Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2017, 21:41   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
I don't know about the S1's but my Hankooks Ventus Evo 2's (summer tyre) have been well worth the money in the 3+ years that I have had them, and I changed them within the first couple of days after taking delivery of my T-Jet . The positives; Much better grip, better brake feel, much much quieter than the Goodyears
Evo2 is very good tyre esp for grip and sportiness. But it is also firm, and if ride is harsh on vRS on our potholed roads, that's when one may need to trade for another. I posted a link of comparison by tirerack earlier in the thread.
Old 5th September 2017, 23:26   #287
BHPian

Nikhilb2008, congratulations!!! vRS looks stunning. I saw it at Vinayak Cars, Bangalore a couple of days ago.

I am considering buying but one fact worries me -- ground clearance. Brochure says 141 mm solo. Does it manage the monstrous speed breakers in Bangalore? I had a tough time with my Civic.

Thanks and have a wonderful time with the RS.
Old 6th September 2017, 01:10   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshD View Post
---------
The red, blue and steel grey colors are out of stock and now available only in December. The white cars are available.
They clearly underestimated the enthusiastic clan of petrol heads.
NOOO!!! I booked my red car the day before. No word on availability! He said he would try till month end.

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th September 2017 at 08:28. Reason: Avoid quoting emoticons while quoting posts. Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 07:12   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshD View Post
---------
The red, blue and steel grey colors are out of stock and now available only in December. The white cars are available.
They clearly underestimated the enthusiastic clan of petrol heads.
-----------
Thanks for sharing this update.

Skoda really hasn't learnt from their recent mistakes. There were long waiting periods during the initial launch of the Octavia, and diesel Superb - I couldn't wait for the 4-6 months asked by Skoda at that time, and went to other brands.

Now the same problem is repeated with the vRS. I hope they don't lose out on the enthusiast excitement due to availability. This is one Skoda that really deserves to do well.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th September 2017 at 07:17. Reason: trimmed quoted post for better readability
Carmageddon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 08:48   #290
BHPian

I desperately desire an Official Review asap.
I need to see it in detail through pics until it starts rioting in the streets in flesh.
Old 6th September 2017, 08:49   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
I am skeptical for their sidewalls in India though. 225/50 R16 (a fast disappearing size) is a pretty good choice for mk3/mk2 cars in India, but 16" won't clear the vRS brakes.
The 16 inchers would have been the best bet for high speed stability and traction but, as you've indicated, it will not fit on the mk3 VRS. Skoda have used brake calipers from the Golf GTI for the mk3 VRS and that doesn't leave clearance at a safe enough level for 16 inchers.

An option would be 245/45/17 which would increase OD / sidewall height to reasonably acceptable levels for Indian conditions and is around 2+%. With the fairly large gap in the wheel arches there would not be an issue with clearances either.
Old 6th September 2017, 10:32   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roovee View Post
Nikhilb2008, congratulations!!! vRS looks stunning. I saw it at Vinayak Cars, Bangalore a couple of days ago.

I am considering buying but one fact worries me -- ground clearance. Brochure says 141 mm solo. Does it manage the monstrous speed breakers in Bangalore? I had a tough time with my Civic.

Thanks and have a wonderful time with the RS.
The stock vRS is actually quite decent thanks to the stiffer suspension. I haven't had any issues as of now.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th September 2017 at 17:45. Reason: Typo
Old 6th September 2017, 11:17   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Why is the spare wheel 125/70 R18? Is it because the OEM 225/45 R17 alloy+tyre combo will not fit in the spare wheel well and/or is it cost-cutting? That 'bicycle tyre' will be catastrophic as the Plan B on a long Indian highway trip. The maximum speed rating must be 60 km/hr or 80 km/hr at the most.

Regular highway users may even have to buy a 17" alloy/steel wheel and keep a deflated tyre for emergency use.
Old 6th September 2017, 11:58   #294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Why is the spare wheel 125/70 R18? Is it because the OEM 225/45 R17 alloy+tyre combo will not fit in the spare wheel well and/or is it cost-cutting? That 'bicycle tyre' will be catastrophic as the Plan B on a long Indian highway trip. The maximum speed rating must be 60 km/hr or 80 km/hr at the most.

Regular highway users may even have to buy a 17" alloy/steel wheel and keep a deflated tyre for emergency use.
It's a space-saver. The inclusion of space-savers is standard practice.

The purpose of a space-saver is to "limp you home" or to the nearest tyre shop where you can get the punctured tyre fixed and ready to go. Usually, space-savers have a speed rating of 70-80 km/h and are to be used only for emergencies.
Old 6th September 2017, 12:08   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It's a space-saver. The inclusion of space-savers is standard practice.
Fully aware of the concept.

Just that the combination of 125/70/R18 + a full load of pax and luggage + our unpredictable roads + availability and competence of road-side 'puncher' shops is a sure recipe for stress.
Old 6th September 2017, 12:26   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

The well actually looks big enough for a full size wheel. At the very least, a 205/55-16 should fit.

But then, a 16" wheel may not fit over the brakes.

So, they have to give a 17" wheel. But a 225/45-17 may not fit in the well thanks to the extra 20mm width of the tyre.

And there are no tyres smaller than 225/45-17 available. Unless you go for 215/45-17. But this is not a correct fit in terms of overall diameter. It can work for people like us, but will not work for an OEM to make it standard.

So, I believe they realised the best option was to give a motorcycle tyre.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 12:27   #297
Mtv
BHPian

Quote:
Fully aware of the concept.

Just that the combination of 125/70/R18 + a full load of pax and luggage + our unpredictable roads + availability and competence of road-side 'puncher' shops is a sure recipe for stress.
It's high time that foreign car manufacturers further tailored their products for the growing Indian market. In this aspect Honda and Hyundai are ahead, providing some of their cars with full sized spare alloy wheels. Only jacking up the ground clearance by an inch and calling it "rough road package " won't cut it.

In other news, the Skoda dealer here in Calcutta is closing down. It won't be taking any new orders. A new dealer "might" show up in January, so there is no hope for now.

I can only read with envy all the posts of fellow bhpians buying their RS's
Old 6th September 2017, 14:37   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
It's high time that foreign car manufacturers further tailored their products for the growing Indian market.
I think it's past high time we pulled up our socks and built standard quality roads everywhere and had acceptable grades of fuel available in our country to at least match global standards. Countries who were much more backward than us have beat us to it.

I mean, it's a shame that the manufacturer's have to downgrade their vehicles for use here. They're already going bonkers in the stuff they have to do do in the process compromising a lot on what the car was actually meant to be. We should think about that before calling ourselves "Global Economy" and what not. Not to sound negative but we should identify our shortcomings first in order to improve. That's real patriotism.

Just my two cents :P

Last edited by pixantz : 6th September 2017 at 14:39.
pixantz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 14:42   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can have a full size spare - the protrusion above the floor would be about an inch which you could overcome by having a hard plastic / polypropylene sheet covering the entire floor above the tyre. You would also need to have the tool kit stored separately as it wouldn't fit into the usual slot.

The VRS isn't really intended for full pax plus luggage plus bad roads. Although Skoda wouldn't tell you so, it's really meant to be used like a sports car albeit a plus size one - read that as good roads (preferably like the one on the official Skoda video) with minimal luggage and 4 pax at the max. Ideally to be driven mostly in 1 up or 2 up mode.

Using it as a replacement for a typical family car in Indian conditions wouldn't be advisable.
Old 6th September 2017, 16:11   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
TSo, they have to give a 17" wheel. But a 225/45-17 may not fit in the well thanks to the extra 20mm width of the tyre.
Deflate a 225/45 and it should fit? Worst case, you can spend 10 minutes in pumping it up with a electric pump?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks