Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2017, 14:58   #346
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs

Forum,
I have received the following advisory on the fuel to be used from JMD SKODA.

Q

Dear all ,
This mail is to inform you all kindly educate all your SKODA OCTAVIA VRS customer “that the fuel recommended by SKODA for VRS is HIGH OCTANE PETROL” in the sense SULPHUR FREE SUPER RON 95.
In Bharat petroleum it is termed as SPEED PETROL in Hindustan petroleum it is POWER and in Indian oil termed as XTRA PREMIUM.
Please refer the manual book for further guidance .

UNQ

It would seem that they are very well aware that RON95 petrol is not readily available but they want customers to use at least Speed or equivalent.

Best Regards,
Harsh.
HarshD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 15:05   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
With the 35/37 psi there is a much higher chance of tyre damage in case you fall into one of the gigantic potholes we have all over.
Why would that happen?
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 15:16   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshD View Post
Forum,
I have received the following advisory on the fuel to be used from JMD SKODA.

Q

Dear all ,
This mail is to inform you all kindly educate all your SKODA OCTAVIA VRS customer “that the fuel recommended by SKODA for VRS is HIGH OCTANE PETROL” in the sense SULPHUR FREE SUPER RON 95.
In Bharat petroleum it is termed as SPEED PETROL in Hindustan petroleum it is POWER and in Indian oil termed as XTRA PREMIUM.
Please refer the manual book for further guidance .

UNQ

It would seem that they are very well aware that RON95 petrol is not readily available but they want customers to use at least Speed or equivalent.

Best Regards,
Harsh.
I think (rather hope) the fuel cap say says "Min 95/91 Ron", which means 95 Octane is recommended for full potential performance, but it can manage with 91 Octane which will blunt performance. The same recommendation has always been given for other VAG cars with 1.8/1.2 TSI engines. They run fine on 91 Octane petrol.

Regular BP Speed and HP Power are just detergent mixed petrol which help keep injectors clean. The have the same octane rating as the regular fuel viz 91. Only Speed 97 / Power 99 have higher Octane ratings. Its very difficult to run the car exclusively on high octane petrol due to scarce availability. Once you top up regular fuel, the ECU retards the timing to prevent engine knocking. It then takes a couple of tankfills of 97 for the ECU to readapt to its original tune.

Edit : Just read some previous posts. It says Min 95 Ron only. No mention of 91. That is a small matter of concern. In any case just regular branded fuel will not offer any advantage over normal petrol.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 11th September 2017 at 15:23. Reason: Added observation
Santoshbhat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 16:34   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Its very difficult to run the car exclusively on high octane petrol due to scarce availability.
It says very clearly Min RON95. Only a few high end pumps stock it in BLR around the MG Road / UB City areas.

Is Shell selling RON95? How are buyers expected to 'ensure' RON95 with such minimal availability? The Octavia tank is also irritatingly small at 55 litres!

Santosh, is it the same requirement for your GTI?

Last edited by itwasntme : 11th September 2017 at 16:38.
Old 11th September 2017, 17:58   #350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
It says very clearly Min RON95. Only a few high end pumps stock it in BLR around the MG Road / UB City areas.

Is Shell selling RON95? How are buyers expected to 'ensure' RON95 with such minimal availability? The Octavia tank is also irritatingly small at 55 litres!

As far as I know, there are about 3, maybe 4 bunks in Bangalore city that offer high octane petrol. And Shell is not one of them.

The most notable bunk is BP Nagpal's Garage, where Speed 97 is available. The other one is the HP bunk on Old Airport Road, after Manipal Hospital, where you will get Power 99.

Using 91 octane may not be an issue. You can use 91 octane at the cost of performance, refinement and efficiency.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 20:11   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Shell sells only 91 Octane. BP Speed 97 and HP Power 99 are the only high octane petrol available in the country.

My GTI fuel cap says RON 95, Min 91 unlike the VRS and like all other TSIs sold in the country.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs-1505140873585.jpg  

Santoshbhat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 07:56   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

This RON95 vs RON91 debate needs to be examined in much more detail for the vRS. Skoda has compulsorily specified 95 unlike any other TSI engine so far, and formally washed their hands off the matter.

There are some spirited conversations in Briskoda etc but the EU largely has 95 onwards. Overall, running on 91 is heavily discouraged from various fora.
Old 12th September 2017, 10:17   #353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Why would that happen?
These are 45 profile tyres, which are reasonably low. With higher pressure the shock absorption reduces, and either the rim will get damaged (normally in the case of runflats) or the tyre may end up with a bubble eventually. Again this depends on how hard the hit is, and how careful the person is driving. Do you have other views?
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 11:37   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
These are 45 profile tyres, which are reasonably low. With higher pressure the shock absorption reduces, and either the rim will get damaged (normally in the case of runflats) or the tyre may end up with a bubble eventually. Again this depends on how hard the hit is, and how careful the person is driving. Do you have other views?
I would disagree here.

A higher pressure on a tyre would not damage the rim as much as lower pressure would.

Bubbling could happen at any pressure depending on how the hit is (although yes lower chances in lower pressure), but at what cost? Damage a rim to save a tyre?

Plus, the negatives of running lower pressure far outweigh the negatives of running higher pressure. And he's actually running recommended pressure. Not higher.

Tiguan recommends 40+psi for a fully loaded car.

I guess manufacturers must be doing due diligence when recommending tyre pressure and i would personally stick to it.
Old 12th September 2017, 11:47   #355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I would disagree here.

A higher pressure on a tyre would not damage the rim as much as lower pressure would.

Bubbling could happen at any pressure depending on how the hit is (although yes lower chances in lower pressure), but at what cost? Damage a rim to save a tyre?

Plus, the negatives of running lower pressure far outweigh the negatives of running higher pressure. And he's actually running recommended pressure. Not higher.

Tiguan recommends 40+psi for a fully loaded car.

I guess manufacturers must be doing due diligence when recommending tyre pressure and i would personally stick to it.
They certainly don't do their due diligence for Indian roads. Any European car running at the recommended pressure (within city limits, since for highway driving I'm all for running proper pressures) will have a busy and stiff ride.

Now I'm not advocating under inflation, I doubt 30-32 psi is considered underinflation.

But too many variables, in case of what tyre, what profile, what rim. For the vRS specifically, after driving it 200kms and trying out the recommended air pressure and 30-32psi I can safely say that the ride is too stiff on the recommended air pressure.

In theory I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Old 12th September 2017, 12:14   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They certainly don't do their due diligence for Indian roads. Any European car running at the recommended pressure (within city limits, since for highway driving I'm all for running proper pressures) will have a busy and stiff ride.

Now I'm not advocating under inflation, I doubt 30-32 psi is considered underinflation.

But too many variables, in case of what tyre, what profile, what rim. For the vRS specifically, after driving it 200kms and trying out the recommended air pressure and 30-32psi I can safely say that the ride is too stiff on the recommended air pressure.

I concur. Just look at the recommended pressure for my GTI above. 39/35 psi for normal load and 42/45 psi for full load . I'll have to buy dentures if I run those pressures. These are recommended for smooth European roads. Sometimes I feel these cars are not made for our roads and we are out of our senses to buy them. But once we do, we have to use some common sense and judgement and adjust the pressure to suit our conditions.
Old 12th September 2017, 13:30   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Empirical and gut feeling is one thing, theory is there for a reason.

How is tyre pressure calculated?

Certainly not by indian vs european road conditions but by the load on the tyre.

This is good reading:

http://www.tirereview.com/determining-the-right-psi/

Underinflation can cause a myriad of problems - i'd err on the side of over inflation. This is good reading:

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyres/tyre-pressure

Also read the Ford and Firestone fiasco where they recommended 26psi in the explorers and there were lot of deaths with one of the biggest cause being under inflation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firest...re_controversy

EDIT: done with this topic. To each their own.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 12th September 2017 at 13:52. Reason: see edit
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 18:08   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb8778 View Post
Bro I think we find ourselves in the same boat again Plan to find out tomorrow where RON 95 is available in my city.
Any update on allocation? I was told by the ASM for Skoda that my vehicle is allocated. I will be notified when it's put in production and that delivery would only be after the 25th. Strange. I thought Skoda had already produced all the RS's. Turns out they've reached production limit on the Red and Blue and only the last batch of White and Grey is going to be produced.

He also said something about having only a limited run of 150 RS cars (wasn't it 300?).
Old 12th September 2017, 18:26   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
He also said something about having only a limited run of 150 RS cars (wasn't it 300?).
There are all sorts of numbers being thrown. I heard of an original lot of 750 which was trimmed to 300. Now this 150.

I am also guessing the limited run (if there is one) is on an annual basis as the Bangalore dealer is speaking of next run of Reds and Blues being available from Jan 2018.
Old 12th September 2017, 18:29   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
There are all sorts of numbers being thrown. I heard of an original lot of 750 which was trimmed to 300. Now this 150.

I am also guessing the limited run (if there is one) is on an annual basis as the Bangalore dealer is speaking of next run of Reds and Blues being available from Jan 2018.
Are all car/Limited edition launches this messed up and confusing? I don't think I've ever seen such a confusing mess ever before.

I believe i did read somewhere that every VRS launch has been like this.
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed