Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2017, 22:07   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshb View Post
Our Laura TSI just completed 5 years and I can't of anything else but the Octavia RS as a change. Another fast Petrol before we have the infrastructure to support all Electric cars, for me to switch to driving an Electric car and I also grow old.
That sounds depressing almost!
But to be honest it's going to be a key driver in me trying to either pick up this Octy vRS or a pre-owned TSi Laura.
I think it will all boil down to the specs and pricing of the vRS launched in India.
Old 11th August 2017, 10:39   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs

Can't wait to officially review this beast - incredibly happy to see the vRS coming back, after years of yes / no / maybe.

Lame of Skoda to show international specs in what was supposed to be a "tech briefing". Come on, tell us the exact specs of the car coming here! We aren't interested in what's sold in the UK. Would Skoda like it if I walk into their showroom and show them a picture of a UK customer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Its put there to let Skoda use the RS (vRS) moniker because RS is owned by Ford.
Someone please tell that to Maruti (lame Swift RS) .

On a serious note, is that applicable anymore? In the UK itself, brands like Porsche & Audi sell "RS" cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I just heard from someone that the AWD 2.0 TDI DSG is indeed coming to India.
If anyone is considering the AWD, please be sure to test-drive it before paying. While AWD offers undeniable advantages in grip levels, it does affect the overall 'feel' of the car (especially steering). Between RWD & AWD, I'll always pick the former for fun. But between FWD & AWD, it varies from car to car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Skoda has opened bookings for the Octavia VRS - announcement on their Facebook page.
Bookings open without even sharing the specs? In the old days, bookings would open after the price has been announced. In the last 2 - 3 years, we've seen manufacturers & dealerships indulge in 'pre-bookings' before the actual launch. Now, companies are accepting bookings without sharing the final spec of the car .

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshb View Post
Another fast Petrol before we have the infrastructure to support all Electric cars, for me to switch to driving an Electric car and I also grow old.
Hahaha. Well said. Let's enjoy internal combustion engines all we can while they are still around.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 12:23   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
That sounds depressing almost!
But to be honest it's going to be a key driver in me trying to either pick up this Octy vRS or a pre-owned TSi Laura.
I think it will all boil down to the specs and pricing of the vRS launched in India.
My guess is that it will be somewhere around 30L, and that accordingly to me would be a right price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hahaha. Well said. Let's enjoy internal combustion engines all we can while they are still around.
True that! Internal Combustion Engines aren't going to be around for much longer.
animeshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 13:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Someone please tell that to Maruti (lame Swift RS) .

On a serious note, is that applicable anymore? In the UK itself, brands like Porsche & Audi sell "RS" cars.
It is applicable in the UK market where Skoda calls it vRS officially and everywhere else including India it is called RS. Logos remain the same and the v is ˇ from ŠKODA. Probably there was an agreement between both Ford and Skoda in the UK to differentiate between their the RS'es because Ford owns RS.

Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs-rs1.jpg

Maruti's Swift and Ciaz RS probably means "Racy Stickers" or "really Stupid". For Maruti RS only started to make some sense with the launch of Baleno RS which probably mean "Reasonably Sporty".
Sankar is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 14:26   #35
BHPian

I wonder if the Octavia RS would steal some customers of the Big 3!

BMW 320d develops 400 Nm of torque from 1750-2750 rpm which many argue is preferred choice from driver's point of view from the Big 3. Octavia RS petrol generates 350 Nm of torque and since it is a turbo petrol the engine will remain in peak torque range longer. Octavia RS diesel still generates a respectable 380 Nm but I couldnt find its peak torque range.

Of course power/torque isnt the entire story and Octavia is still an FWD. But maybe it provides 90% of the car that a stock BMW is for 60% of the price. Value seekers should be pretty pleased.
pratika is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 14:42   #36
BHPian

I booked a blue Octavia RS yesterday from the Mumbai dealership. The booking amount is Rs. 1,00,000 and mine was the fifth booking they received as of yesterday evening. I love the blue, but even the red looks fantastic in my opinion. Still torn between the two.

The dealer informed me that the price expectation is just under 30 on road. Cancellation charges are Rs. 5,000, but he assures me the car is so nice that I won't decide to cancel it.

Delivery in the first slot, hopefully first week September.

Last edited by rtm_8055 : 11th August 2017 at 14:43.
rtm_8055 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 14:44   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
I wonder if the Octavia RS would steal some customers of the Big 3!

BMW 320d develops 400 Nm of torque from 1750-2750 rpm which many argue is preferred choice from driver's point of view from the Big 3. Octavia RS petrol generates 350 Nm of torque and since it is a turbo petrol the engine will remain in peak torque range longer. Octavia RS diesel still generates a respectable 380 Nm but I couldnt find its peak torque range.

Of course power/torque isnt the entire story and Octavia is still an FWD. But maybe it provides 90% of the car that a stock BMW is for 60% of the price. Value seekers should be pretty pleased.
BMW 330i.

If they launch this at 30L Ex-showroom, and if BMW offers a 5L discount on the 330i, the difference isn't much.
You get an equally fast car (faster actually IIRC), RWD, more premium interiors and status, etc.

Yes, the vRS may just be more fun to drive as it could be stiffer than the 330i, but if that is the case, the 330i may just be more practical a daily driver.

All boils down to the final specs/variant being launched here and the price.

As for torque - after a certain point you need RWD/AWD to help pin the power down and not have wheelspins spoiling your time.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm_8055 View Post
The dealer informed me that the price expectation is just under 30 on road. Cancellation charges are Rs. 5,000, but he assures me the car is so nice that I won't decide to cancel it.

Delivery in the first slot, hopefully first week September.
Is this the petrol?
I would be surprised if the Mumbai price is less than 30L especially if it comes with the less localised 2.0TFSi engine + more kit!
The Top end diesel is around 27-28L OTR IIRC, and the 1.8TSi is around 2L cheaper.

Last edited by lamborghini : 11th August 2017 at 14:48.
lamborghini is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 14:50   #38
Team-BHP Support

A quick reminder that we drove the vRS a year ago. Brief impressions here
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 14:51   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You get an equally fast car (faster actually IIRC), RWD, more premium interiors and status, etc.
BMW 330i : 5.8 seconds
Octavia vRS : 6.7 seconds

BMW is RWD and should be much more fun. But, 2.0 TSI has huuuge mod potential. There are stage 2 / stage 3 bolt on kits from reputed companies like APR / Revo taking the power levels more than 400 hp .

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 11th August 2017 at 14:54.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 14:56   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
BMW 330i : 5.7 seconds

BMW is RWD and should be much more fun. But, 2.0 TSI has huuuge mod potential. There are stage 2 / stage 3 bolt on kits from reputed companies like APR / Revo taking the power levels more than 400 hp .
The 330i also has some serious mod potential from what I've been told.

But again, it depends on final spec of the vRS. If it's a DSG only - that will be a big downer for a lot of people and will even limit mods if you want it to be a daily drive.
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 15:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
BMW 330i : 5.8 seconds

Will it be possible on the DSG versions ? Thought the the gearbox might limit the torque.
Old 11th August 2017, 15:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
BMW 330i.

If they launch this at 30L Ex-showroom, and if BMW offers a 5L discount on the 330i, the difference isn't much.
OTR for 330i Sport Line is 47.6 big ones as per cardekho! Hopefully the RS makes BMW revisit their pricing. Whether they do it is anyone's guess but hey a cheaper BMW is always welcome.

I cant help but compare Octavia RS' engine to the A4. Seriously Audi, 1.4l?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
A quick reminder that we drove the vRS a year ago. Brief impressions here
Thanks for that link. From your observation is there any difference in rear leg room between the vRS and regular Octavia?

Last edited by pratika : 11th August 2017 at 15:20.
pratika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 15:26   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Will it be possible on the DSG versions ? Thought the the gearbox might limit the torque.
Even 1.8 TSI DSG have been modded to more than 300 hp. E tuners(Greece) have built one in India which has around 270 HP at wheels.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?s...21711105125774

APR lists that even 2.0 TSI DSG versions are compatible with all upgrades.

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_u..._gen3_mqb.html

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 11th August 2017 at 15:30.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 15:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
BMW 330i.

Is this the petrol?
I would be surprised if the Mumbai price is less than 30L especially if it comes with the less localised 2.0TFSi engine + more kit!
The Top end diesel is around 27-28L OTR IIRC, and the 1.8TSi is around 2L cheaper.
Yes, his working is based on the RS being 4-5 lakhs more than the existing Petrol Style Plus A/T, which is around 24.75 on road in Mumbai.

I was not given any option of petrol/diesel/4x2/4x4/auto/manual. I asked for the Octavia RS and my booking has been registered as "New Octavia RS 2.0 TSI A/T". My guess is that we will only see this variant on Indian shores.
rtm_8055 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 15:48   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
If you look at the technical details photo, it states that the car will have a 6-DSG. In that case, it is the wet clutch 6 speed DSG which is not limited to the 250 Nm that the 7 speed dry clutch transmission is. The flipside to the 6-speed is that the shift are slower than the dry clutch 7-speed. Diesel auto VAG cars typically have 6-speed DSGs as the torque does not have to be limited.
aditya9567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks