Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2017, 16:19   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm_8055 View Post
I was not given any option of petrol/diesel/4x2/4x4/auto/manual. I asked for the Octavia RS and my booking has been registered as "New Octavia RS 2.0 TSI A/T". My guess is that we will only see this variant on Indian shores.
Now that is a real lead on what is going to be available for us.

I am still very skeptical on the pricing - especially looking at the Polo GTi blunder.
If it does come in at INR 5L more than the 1.8TSi, I have figured out my next car (though a pre-owned Laura TSi is a tempting option too with a turbo upgrade, etc. all for 10L OTR)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya9567 View Post
Diesel auto VAG cars typically have 6-speed DSGs as the torque does not have to be limited.
I actually read somewhere that the torque limit for the 6 speed DSG is 420nm or 450nm.
It can definitely be tuned, but it is going to be at the cost of reliability. The gearbox will just wear out faster with more torque being transferred to the wheels. Would I tune it as a daily drive - hell no!
A remap at most, just because it is bloody expensive and time consuming to fix.

If it is a project car, then I wouldn't mind going all out; but not for a daily driver.

EDIT: According to briskoda forums and some others, the recommended torque limit is 380NM. It can be remapped to get more power down and quicker downshifts, but I am not sure how that would impact reliability as wear and tear would still be higher right?

Last edited by lamborghini : 11th August 2017 at 16:39.
Old 11th August 2017, 17:25   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm_8055 View Post
I asked for the Octavia RS and my booking has been registered as "New Octavia RS 2.0 TSI A/T". My guess is that we will only see this variant on Indian shores.
Wohoo! Car of my dreams

I'll beg / borrow, but get one. Been waiting for this real vRS to hit Indian shores for years.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 17:25   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
EDIT: According to briskoda forums and some others, the recommended torque limit is 380NM. It can be remapped to get more power down and quicker downshifts, but I am not sure how that would impact reliability as wear and tear would still be higher right?
It should be the maximum input torque rated by the manufacturer. APR / Revo / E tuners etc have achieved much higher than 380 NM. There are lot of posts by owners in many VAG forums and have been running without issues. Anyways the reliability would not be as good as stock in any tuned car.

Even 1.6 S-Cross has maximum input torque rated at 320NM (M32 transmission). But I have remapped it and should be close to 400 NM now
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 18:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya9567 View Post
Diesel auto VAG cars typically have 6-speed DSGs as the torque does not have to be limited.
Newer VAG diesels have the 7-speed DSG, for eg: Tiguan and Kodiaq. Even the Superb is moving to 7-speed DSG for the 2.0 TDI engine (150hp version).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If it does come in at INR 5L more than the 1.8TSi, I have figured out my next car
Here in Finland, the on-road cost difference between the RS 2.0 TSI A/T (230hp version) and the 1.8 TSI A/T Style is less than about Rs.3.5L, which includes about Rs.1.5L difference in the road tax. You can surely hope, but Skoda India might want to place the vRS as a halo car and price it accordingly.
Old 11th August 2017, 22:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bookings open without even sharing the specs? In the old days, bookings would open after the price has been announced. In the last 2 - 3 years, we've seen manufacturers & dealerships indulge in 'pre-bookings' before the actual launch. Now, companies are accepting bookings without sharing the final spec of the car .
From what I've been told before the launch by Skoda, (by the eagle not birdie) we are getting the same car that runs in the UK. No dilution, no cosmetic makeover like the last two times but the "full monty" (exact phrase). So that would mean that the specs they've shown is what we should get.

But even so, you're right - it's not enough if the media alone are briefed about the specs. The customer needs to know what he's going to get.

Last edited by AMG Power : 11th August 2017 at 22:37.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 23:05   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with some of the members who say Octavia RS is a 90% 330i for 60% of its cost.

As an avid biker, I cant help but think of Dominar 400 & Duke 390 comparison.

Mind would go in favour of the former, but heart knows the former can never fill the shoes of the latter.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 08:56   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
I wonder if the Octavia RS would steal some customers of the Big 3!
Audi yes, quite a few will pick the Octavia to save money and basically they are platform twins, Mercedes, maybe but a big maybe. BMW, well on the face of it (paper specs) many people will happily buy the RS thinking its a cheaper German sedan with a great engine.. to those who know BMW well.. no.

I've driven the following Skodas - Octavia (current), Yeti, Fabia and I've surprising news.. the Fabia had the better steering of them all (electro-hydraulic), the other 2 had light, extremely numb steering. This is a problem with VW cars.. Audi has the same thing as well. I'm saying this because we're comparing them to :

BMW - models I've driven - X1 (prev gen) E90 3 Series, F30 3 Series and 1-Series. Their steering, forget it, BMW can give a backhand slap and blast the other similarly priced or cheaper Germans out of the water. Its their focus on feedback, steering weight and obsession with RWD dynamics (which frees the wheels up front to be a point-&-shoot enablers at total command of the steering wheel) which makes them so much more than just another Rs.40L car.

On their own, Skoda makes good, value oriented cars and some of them make great sense when compared to an Audi and Merc (because Skoda makes spacious, big-engined, well built cars) at about 60% of the price. BMW is in a league of its own. This is bearing in mind my limited driving experience of models mentioned above, maybe things have changed today with the newer models of Merc and Audi.

Last edited by dark.knight : 13th August 2017 at 08:58. Reason: typos
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 09:28   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bookings open without even sharing the specs?
Hearing rumours that the first batch is sold out already. And that's about 50 cars only for India in the initial shipment.

Surprised because the specs are also not announced. And there could be a chance the engine will be the same 1.8 TSi as they did with the Laura too.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 11:24   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Audi yes, quite a few will pick the Octavia to save money and basically they are platform twins,
If I remember correctly, latest Audi A4 is based on MLB platfrom while Octavia is MQB.
kevintomin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 12:18   #55
BHPian

Will this be significantly faster than a VW Vento Tsi? What is the approximate price, if anybody knows?
Old 13th August 2017, 12:20   #56
BHPian

To quell people's fears of a torque limit on the 6 speed DSG, APR sells upgraded Kevlar Carbon clutch packs that are specifically made for reliable high horsepower so if someone is investing in Stage 3, they can always get those.

But other than that, I really do hope Skoda brings in the TDI 4x4 vRS as well. The only AWD sedan I can remember in recent times is the Skoda Superb 3.6. No BMW, Mercedes or Audi in the price bracket just above would be able to keep up with that car around the corners.
jalajprakash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 18:23   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Thanks to Dr. Shree Harsha and Mohan Kumar for sharing these images with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

The new Skoda Octavia vRS has been spotted in India. The car was completely undisguised and spotted in Mumbai and Pune.

Attachment 1665305

The images reveal that the rear end of the car sports the vRS badge and a thin reflector running along the rear bumper. Also, unique to this sporty variant of the Octavia are the twin-exhaust tips and the rear spoiler on the boot lid. The spotted car is said to have had a gloss black grille and new alloy wheels finished in gunmetal grey. That said, there was no badge indicating the engine that was powering the car.

Skoda is having a press briefing on August 10, 2017 in which, more details of the Octavia vRS might be revealed.

Attachment 1665306

Skoda India has given the best surprise a Skoda fanboy like me could ask for!
Was too young to buy my own car when the Skoda Laura VRS was sold here.
While the chances are slim but hope they bring in the 242bhp petrol and the 181bhp diesel sold in EU!
Skyline_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 19:00   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Will this be significantly faster than a VW Vento Tsi? What is the approximate price, if anybody knows?
It is the similar difference between 1.2 ivtec in brio and 1.5 ivtec in honda City, if not more.

So the answer to your question is - oh well yes! By a big margin!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 20:08   #59
BHPian

With the almost confirmed and imminent arrival of electric cars from the likes of Tesla, what future do these kind of personal performance cars have? I feel they are on the death bed already.

Those electrics can accelerate from 0 - 100 under 3 seconds. There are far few moving parts and therefore maintenance and subsequently depreciation would also be less. Further, there is no pollution from burning of fossil fuels but recycling of batteries remains a major concern.

A nation wide infrastructure has to be in place for electrics to be widely accepted but I feel it can be built same way as today's petrol pumps. Lot more 'moolah' is now going into the research in the field of batteries and other related areas like solar energy. with the increased spending, I am optimistic about technological breakthroughs in the coming years. Until now, it was widely accused that the gasoline companies were stifling these efforts.
B103 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 20:17   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I think the RS will be offended to hear it was mentioned in the same sentence as a Vento TSI.

Completely different segments, even if you chose to compare, I think it would be safe to say that the Octavia RS even if it comes here in its lamest avatar, will be a much much superior product as compared to the Vento TSI. Not just in performance, but what ever parameters you use to compare.

There is a mention in the previous page of a price close to 30L from a member who booked.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed