Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2017, 19:37   #256
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
What were you doing on 1st of September when they had a smashing launch coupled with a ride with race drivers on a race track!
Lol.. let me rephrase. I haven't seen one in person.
Old 4th September 2017, 21:26   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
So I finally booked a Red RS! But unfortunately haven't been able to see or drive the RS. Is the ride really as bad as they say? I'm coming from a Vento and this is technically going to be my mom's daily. But we all know who's going to actually be driving this car! They've promised to give me a TD once they get a car. But this harsher ride is troublesome. Can anyone else corroborate the ride?

What are you're observation on the ride? Is it really harsh or just a little stiff? I'm coming from a Vento and an old gen Endeavour!
As someone else said, it is harsh. But not impossibly harsh.

It's livable. But you need to be careful on bad roads. The suspension travel is very limited and this causes the car to be thrown around a bit. With older people in the car, it can be very uncomfortable.

Just go slow and you'll be fine. The ride improves with speed. At highway cruising speeds of 100-120, it is very nice. Undulations in the road will still cause the car to bounce a little bit as the suspension is stiff.

I did a 500 km drive and mileage was 10.9kmpl according to the tankful-to-tankful method. The on board computer showed 11.1 kmpl.

Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs-img_6968.jpg

Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs-img_6969.jpg

Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs-img_6970.jpg

Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs-img_6971.jpg

Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs-img_6974.jpg

I'm pretty happy. The 500 kms included about 40kms of very slow city traffic.

My odo reading is 850kms right now. 72 hours after delivery.

Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs-img_6976.jpg

Some other random pictures of a bug splattered vRS. A vRS doing what it does best, eating up miles on the highway!

Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs-img_5609.jpg

Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs-img_5611.jpg

Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs-img_5618.jpg

Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs-img_5655.jpg
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 21:48   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I did a 500 km drive and mileage was 10.9kmpl according to the tankful-to-tankful method. The on board computer showed 11.1 kmpl.
That's very decent fuel economy for a turbo petrol car with 230 PS . I believe you were not driving with light foot.

Quote:
My odo reading is 850kms right now. 72 hours after delivery.
Quick question : Did you sleep last 3 nights after getting vRS?

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 4th September 2017 at 21:51.
Old 4th September 2017, 21:52   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
That's very decent fuel economy for a turbo petrol car with 230 PS . I believe you were not driving with light foot.
Have you seen Nikhil? Light and Nikhil in a sentence is contradictory.

ps: Nikhil knows I'm kidding.

I'm surprised that suspension travel is less, it looks seriously jacked up in those pics.

How would this compare to a 530D acceleration I wonder? I'm sure the 320d is no match and 328i is probably similar, but can this go up against the 6 bangers?

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th September 2017 at 08:30. Reason: Avoid quoting emoticons while quoting posts. Thanks
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 22:22   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
That's very decent fuel economy for a turbo petrol car with 230 PS. I believe you were not driving with light foot.

Quick question : Did you sleep last 3 nights after getting vRS?
I did sleep! I was driving with a sort of light foot. There is a lot of debate about running in modern engines, but I believe that taking it easy will not harm the engine at the very least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Have you seen Nikhil? Light and Nikhil in a sentence is contradictory.

ps: Nikhil knows I'm kidding.

I'm surprised that suspension travel is less, it looks seriously jacked up in those pics.

How would this compare to a 530D acceleration I wonder? I'm sure the 320d is no match and 328i is probably similar, but can this go up against the 6 bangers?
A 530d and a 328i have similar acceleration I think. Give or take a few tenths of a second.

I will know more when I finish running in the engine and really open it up on a closed road.

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th September 2017 at 08:29. Reason: Avoid quoting emoticons while quoting posts. Thanks
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 22:52   #261
BHPian

Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
What are you're observation on the ride? Is it really harsh or just a little stiff? I'm coming from a Vento and an old gen Endeavour!

I took a test drive today, and also currently own a Vento TSI, and can confirm what Nikhil said about the suspension of the VRS - it's firm, but not unusable. Getting Dynamic Chasis Control would really have been the icing on the cake, but then that icing would have come at premium that would put it out of reach of many. The car does this around a little, but not in the unpleasant way the rear jumps in the Vento. Overall - I'd still say it's more comfortable than I had imagined - and yet sporty enough to not feel unstable.

And yes, it does spit and gurgle when upshifting higher in the rev range. And it sounds brilliant when it does that. It's no Mini Cooper JCW, but it's as sporty as a family sedan can get without being inconvenient.
ahmadnaik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 23:07   #262
BHPian

Quote:
I did sleep! I was driving with a sort of light foot. There is a lot of debate about running in modern engines, but I believe that taking it easy will not harm the engine at the very least!

Congrats Nikhil! Look forward to your ownership thread on this.

This is gonna be my next potential buy but i still have many miles to crunch in my civic yet!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th September 2017 at 13:14. Reason: Shortening quoted post :)
Old 4th September 2017, 23:21   #263
BHPian

Quote:

I'm also perplexed as to how the suspension travel is less. The gap in the front wheel arch is glaringly large, even worse than some Tata cars. This is in sharp contrast to the original vRS that had an exceedingly nice hunkered down stance.

All said and done, on a day to day basis this setup would make the car more usable on our pothole and suspension breaker riddled roads.

EDIT: From the pictures above, the redline starts at 6000rpm, which is quite low for a high revving petrol? Any reasons?

Last edited by petroguzzler : 4th September 2017 at 23:32.
Old 4th September 2017, 23:33   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Thats all i needed! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadnaik View Post
I took a test drive today, and also currently own a Vento TSI, and can confirm what Nikhil said about the suspension of the VRS - it's firm, but not unusable. Getting Dynamic Chasis Control would really have been the icing on the cake, but then that icing would have come at premium that would put it out of reach of many. The car does this around a little, but not in the unpleasant way the rear jumps in the Vento. Overall - I'd still say it's more comfortable than I had imagined - and yet sporty enough to not feel unstable.
Now this is actually all i needed to hear! An actual Vento user's opinion!

Quote:
And yes, it does spit and gurgle when upshifting higher in the rev range. And it sounds brilliant when it does that. It's no Mini Cooper JCW, but it's as sporty as a family sedan can get without being inconvenient.
Okay. This is actually amping me up more and more for the car! Thank you for solidifying my intent to get this car!
Old 5th September 2017, 00:23   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It's livable. But you need to be careful on bad roads. The suspension travel is very limited and this causes the car to be thrown around a bit. With older people in the car, it can be very uncomfortable.
Thanks for all the first hand inputs! 800km+ in 3 days, cool! The FE seems very good for 230ps engine. I found this interesting comparison of Hankook Evo2 vs other summer performance tyres. Seems Evo2 is sharper, but also ride is stiffer on a 328i test car.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=190

So, maybe another tyre will make the ride a bit better at cost of handling and FE (Evo2 had the best FE in this test, Conti DW best ride) ?

Last edited by lancer_rit : 5th September 2017 at 00:25.
Old 5th September 2017, 06:56   #266
Senior - BHPian

Simply clever of Skoda to bring in a halo car the way it is meant to be bought quite unlike VW's goof up with the GTI.

Understand that Skoda India is also contemplating bringing in the 2.0 TSI on the regular Octavia. Early days yet and hope they do.

The low profile tyres and altered suspension on the VRS actually reduce high speed stability along with lower traction levels and a bad ride. This has been the bane of the earlier two vRS's too where the regular Octavia had better high speed stability, traction and ride - in short better road manners than the VRS.

The lower profile of course aids in handling, reducing roll and marginally better braking. But at what cost? How many corners can we take flat out without the fear of a vehicle coming from the other side or a cow crossing the road? And how many roads are there in India that are absolutely flat to reap the advantage of the low profile tyres - it isn't even 5% it's 0 %. Even our 6 lane highways have dips and bumps and road irregularities.

To really enjoy the power on tap ON INDIAN roads it would be better to go one profile higher although that would mean sacrificing its looks which are an integral part of the car.

The VRS full potential or even 80% of it can currently only be enjoyed on a track - in real life, you wouldn't be able to take it too much beyond what you could do with a regular 1.8 TSI and in a lot of places, less actually because of the harsh ride.

But what the heck, it's just 5 lakhs more than the regular TSI and you're getting a lot more car for that money!

Worth it? You bet it is!!

Quote:
How would this compare to a 530D acceleration I wonder?
BMW's new G30, the successor to the F10 with the modular engined 530D does the ton about a second quicker than the VRS.

Last edited by AMG Power : 5th September 2017 at 07:14.
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 07:44   #267
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on a great machine Nikhil!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
I'm also perplexed as to how the suspension travel is less. The gap in the front wheel arch is glaringly large, even worse than some Tata cars. This is in sharp contrast to the original vRS that had an exceedingly nice hunkered down stance.
Both right and left side wheels are not at the same level in that pic. The left side ones are on gravel and sitting a few inches down compared to the ones on road. That's the reason why the gap looks more on the left side. Likewise, it will look lowered from the right side.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 08:41   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Thanks for all the first hand inputs! 800km+ in 3 days, cool! The FE seems very good for 230ps engine. I found this interesting comparison of Hankook Evo2 vs other summer performance tyres. Seems Evo2 is sharper, but also ride is stiffer on a 328i test car.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=190

So, maybe another tyre will make the ride a bit better at cost of handling and FE (Evo2 had the best FE in this test, Conti DW best ride) ?
I can't understand how the FE is good. Out of 500kms, he mentioned only 40 was bad, which means rest 460kms were highway/no traffic road. He also mentioned "light foot". M I feel mileage is actually bad cos inside city it may give 5-6 in this case. Can't imagine with a heavy foot how much it will be
Unknownsatan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 08:54   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Nikhil on getting the fastest sedan that we can get in India (At-least something that's affordable and within reach of a common man)

Did I say common man?...Isn't this 31 lakhs on-road? Why is it so much when ex-showroom is 24.xx?

I am sure it's a seriously fun car to drive and that blue is perfect for this car. Do they also have the same yellow as in older VrS. Also, is the older version genes have carried over or this is a smoother and tamer version?

Finally, I personally dont like the alloy design as its toning down the overall look of the car. My personal take would be a sharper spokes type design

Would love to see some comparisons with 320D, GTi, Polestar etc...apart from ofcourse the older version

Cheers and Goodluck !!
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 09:20   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Did I say common man?...Isn't this 31 lakhs on-road? Why is it so much when ex-showroom is 24.xx?
Welcome to karnataka road tax hell. There is 20% road tax here. That is the reason for the ridiculous prices.

Quote:
I am sure it's a seriously fun car to drive and that blue is perfect for this car. Do they also have the same yellow as in older VrS. Also, is the older version genes have carried over or this is a smoother and tamer version?
All modern DI turbo petrols are quite linear in nature. They almost feel like a powerful naturally aspirated engine. They will never have the turbo kick of an old school port injected motor where there was lag first and then turbos kicked in late and shoved you in the seat.

Quote:
Would love to see some comparisons with 320D, GTi, Polestar etc...apart from ofcourse the older version
Polestar would eat this alive due to a much stronger bottom end from the super charger. RS will be much much faster than the rest though.

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th September 2017 at 08:29. Reason: Removing emoticons from quoted post
reignofchaos is online now   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks