Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2017, 13:06   #331
BHPian

Seems Skoda will produce another batch this year in September but only in White and Steel Gray. Deliveries in October. Since I wanted a red so have decided to wait till Jan as that is when TAFE says the next batch of red and blues too will be produced. Seems Skoda is totally zapped by the demand and they had reduced the original plan of a batch of 750 too 300 going by their last vRS experience where it was a slow mover.
Hells Bells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 15:38   #332
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Seems Skoda is totally zapped by the demand and they had reduced the original plan of a batch of 750 too 300 going by their last vRS experience where it was a slow mover.
Excellent! Hope that makes Skoda sell a few hundred VRS every year. Hoping to be able to buy one about same time next year.
Old 9th September 2017, 17:02   #333
BHPian

Adding a few observations I've made so far. This comes with a disclaimer that I do not have much experience with High end cars and that my views might change later with more ticks on the odo.

1. 30psi was really not working for me, so went with the recommmeded values of 35f/37r psi and the car feels much more agile and better to drive. Ride is stiff for sure but with the added air, I didn't find it's much different. I surely think it's not a detailbreaker for someone who knows he's buying a performance car.

The tyre inflator comes in handy
Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs-image1.png.jpg

2. GC is NOT an issue with the car. I've driven it over some M,L & XL speed breakers and broken roads. It can take them on without hitting anything.

3. Minimum petrol requirement on the EA888 globally and in India is 95 octane. The only option for us is Speed 97 which is sold by BPCL in selected pumps. I feel this "issue" has not been highlighted enough by the media or on the thread except Akshay1234 mentioning it here I think. This might be dealbreaker for some people.

For fuel and tyre pressure reference (1bar = 14.504psi)
Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs-image.png.jpg

4. I'm still nursing the car upto 2500rpm and I've done just 200kms so I can't comment much about it. As per initial impressions by everyone, acceleration does seem linear but I guess 3000rpm is where the real fun starts.

5. The DQ250 does feel similar to my DQ200 on the GT and does not feel slower to me.

6. One feels no need to slow down for turns, as the car provides good traction from the hankooks and the stiff suspension comes into play. I haven't tried turning with my foot down on the pedal for the LSD to activate I guess. The cornering has been blissful so far and does get me smiling.

The only change I wanted on the car which Skoda should have done themselves. The black External mirror covers. Got them changed from the Service Center today.
Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs-image2.png.jpg
esma1981 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 17:09   #334
BHPian

I don't know if this is a noob question, but where did Skoda declare that it vRS is a limited edition this time? Because I didn't see that anywhere.

And even if it is so, and Skoda sees the demand, why would it take months to cough up more vehicles? What's so rocket science about producing their own car? Or they want to ride on the 'exclusivity' factor just like that? Now who would be interested in that?

The vRS this time is the real thing and the market has grown leaps and bounds for performance cars with an edge as everybody might have noticed, including Skoda. So WHY? They seem to have ramped up their service standards pretty well, and more people are taking Skoda seriously now. This is so not done man...
Old 9th September 2017, 17:40   #335
BHPian

'' I'm still nursing the car upto 2500rpm and I've done just 200kms so I can't comment much about it. As per initial impressions by everyone, acceleration does seem linear but I guess 3000rpm is where the real fun starts. ''

This linear acceleration point I have read about in various reviews as well as on this forum for this car. Similar feedback is also appearing in various new 2.0 diesel and petrol engine equipped cars and suv's. Especially from owners of volkswagen cars who has their car software 'updated'.

Wonder whether this is because some added emission control system is in use, which makes a 'wild' car gentlemanly ?

I guess the fun factor in a performance vehicle is the rush experienced from 'accelerating acceleration' for want of a better description.

That, for all its worth seems missing from this car as well as from various newer 2.0 diesel/petrol models, again based on driver/reviewer posted reports/feedback.
Old 9th September 2017, 17:46   #336
BHPian

I have a feeling almost all auto makers are unable to come to terms with the inflection point that the Indian auto market is at. Look at Compass - they have stocks of Latitude variant sitting while they have waiting for their top end variant Limited. Same was the case with a lot of other launches in the last 1-2 years. The demand for more features, an auto box, greater appreciation of what lies beneath the hood etc is changing the way Indians are shopping.

I guess if we go by how the Indian market reacted for all the previous vRS, Skoda felt they may not want to over extend themselves on the inventory.

The dealer sales rep also mentioned one interesting point - the demand for a 30L+ "petrol" car is unprecedented in Skoda's calculation.

The good part is that I am assuming that vRS is not a limited edition which is limited to 300 CKDs. So there is hope for hopefuls like me who did not have reflexes like the old westerns when it came to pulling the trigger for the car
Old 9th September 2017, 17:52   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esma1981 View Post
3. Minimum petrol requirement on the EA888 globally and in India is 95 octane. The only option for us is Speed 97 which is sold by BPCL in selected pumps. I feel this "issue" has not been highlighted enough by the media or on the thread except Akshay1234 mentioning it here I think. This might be dealbreaker for some people.
Does it mean we need to avoid refilling at pumps located in tier 2 cities and rural areas where 95 octane is not available. Skoda website says it is okay to use lower octane petrol under "emergency" situations, but also states that "If, in an emergency, the vehicle has to be refuelled with petrol of a lower octane number than the one prescribed, the journey must only be continued at medium engine speeds and a low engine load. Driving at high engine revs or a high engine load can severely damage the engine! Refuel using petrol of the prescribed octane number as soon as possible. Engine parts can be damaged if petrol with a lower octane number than the one prescribed is used."

Source: http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-ap...d=X-SGDDXWQ7ZF
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 18:02   #338
BHPian

Did the first edition of vRS, when it was a different engine and not just a body kit, too demanded a higher RON fuel? I am concerned if there are adverse effects of a lower RON (91) if used over couple of tankfuls. I like doing long drives and I know one ends up topping at least twice or more till I get back to Bangalore. I am ok with a not-so-optimal performance but an engine damage is very disconcerting.
Old 9th September 2017, 18:18   #339
BHPian

Quote:

4. I'm still nursing the car upto 2500rpm and I've done just 200kms so I can't comment much about it. As per initial impressions by everyone, acceleration does seem linear but I guess 3000rpm is where the real fun starts.

The only change I wanted on the car which Skoda should have done themselves. The black External mirror covers. Got them changed from the Service Center today.
Attachment 1674110
It will be an issue upto a point. I assume this is a smart engine and it is designed in such a way that it can slow its ignition timing to compensate for the poorer fuel quality and then re up the timing after premium fuel goes in. At least that's what I read on Car Throttle.

And how many km do you plan on nursing it? The debate on run in for newer engines is way too hot a topic. And no one can seem to decide the ideal no. Of kms.

Also, did you get them painted or did you get the OE parts from abroad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Does it mean we need to avoid refilling at pumps located in tier 2 cities and rural areas where 95 octane is not available. Skoda website says it is okay to use lower octane petrol under "emergency" situations, but also states that "If, in an emergency, the vehicle has to be refuelled with petrol of a lower octane number than the one prescribed, the journey must only be continued at medium engine speeds and a low engine load. Driving at high engine revs or a high engine load can severely damage the engine! Refuel using petrol of the prescribed octane number as soon as possible. Engine parts can be damaged if petrol with a lower octane number than the one prescribed is used."

Source: http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-ap...d=X-SGDDXWQ7ZF
This sounds scary, being from a tier 2 city, I guess I'm royally screwed!
Old 9th September 2017, 20:24   #340
BHPian

Posting here for the sake of all prospective new RS owners:

As per FM the below are the changes in cess

Status quo continues for small petrol and Diesel cars and hybrid cars.

No increase on cess on small cars.
No change in GST rates for Hybrid Cars and 13 seater vehicles.

Cess increase by 2% for Mid sized cars
Cess increase by 5% for Large sized cars &
Cess increase by 7% for SUVs.

Coming to the point of prospective RS owners like me, the applicable increase in cess would be 5% right? On the Ex Showroom price right?
bb8778 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 20:58   #341
BHPian

So they went ahead and did as we all feared! SUV Cess at 22%, Luxury car cess at 20% and Midsize cars cess at 17% now. Much less than the 15% increase that was anticipated, but it seems our cars will be more expensive now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb8778 View Post
Coming to the point of prospective RS owners like me, the applicable increase in cess would be 5% right? On the Ex Showroom price right?

Yes. We're going to paying 5% more. Hurray!! Oh and there was a 1.23 Rs hike in petrol prices in my state! My parents have been questioning me ever since they heard.. Are you sure you want the petrol? We can always switch to the L&K!

Like that's going to happen!!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th September 2017 at 00:37. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Thanks :)
Old 9th September 2017, 22:00   #342
BHPian

Quote:

3.Minimum petrol requirement on the EA888 globally and in India is 95 octane. The only option for us is Speed 97 which is sold by BPCL in selected pumps. I feel this "issue" has not been highlighted enough by the media or on the thread except Akshay1234 mentioning it here I think. This might be dealbreaker for some people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
This sounds scary, being from a tier 2 city, I guess I'm royally screwed!
Quote:
Yes. We're going to paying 5% more. Hurray!! Oh and there was a 1.23 Rs hike in petrol prices in my state! My parents have been questioning me ever since they heard.. Are you sure you want the petrol? We can always switch to the L&K!

Bro I think we find ourselves in the same boat again Plan to find out tomorrow where RON 95 is available in my city.

And as per my calc the OTR for the RS for me will now come to 32L including insurance, essential kit 12.9K and the 4 yr maintenance package of 39.9K.
Old 9th September 2017, 23:29   #343
BHPian

Quote:

So according to the GST cess topic. it seems we'll be in for only 2% increase. Don't know for sure, because like most things this government does, i'm not sure they know what's going on yet.
Old 10th September 2017, 00:55   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb8778 View Post
Bro I think we find ourselves in the same boat again Plan to find out tomorrow where RON 95 is available in my city.

And as per my calc the OTR for the RS for me will now come to 32L including insurance, essential kit 12.9K and the 4 yr maintenance package of 39.9K.
Funny thing. i don't think we have 95 RON fuel in my city! We barely have a couple of pumps that have Speed(BPCL) and XtraPremium(IOC)!
Old 10th September 2017, 01:15   #345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Adding a few observations I've made so far. This comes with a disclaimer that I do not have much experience with High end cars and that my views might change later with more ticks on the odo.

1. 30psi was really not working for me, so went with the recommmeded values of 35f/37r psi and the car feels much more agile and better to drive. Ride is stiff for sure but with the added air, I didn't find it's much different. I surely think it's not a detailbreaker for someone who knows he's buying a performance car.

Congrats on the car. I drove the vRS for about 70-80 kms. I think 35/37 is faar too high. If you find 30 too low, stick to maybe 32psi or 33psi all around. With the 35/37 psi there is a much higher chance of tyre damage in case you fall into one of the gigantic potholes we have all over.

While they say 95 ron, it will run just fine on regular fuel without any damage. But yes, with speed 97 the car will feel a lot better and smoother, also the exhaust sound and the upshift sound will also increase a lot.

After driving it, I can say 2500rpm is well before the fun starts. The crazy acceleration happens only from 3500 up. And it is quick!!
Akshay1234 is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks