Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2017, 08:54   #436
a2k
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai. EDIT: Launched at 24.62 lakhs

After deliberating over months staring from the pre-facelift Octavia 1.8 TSI to the facelift version my journey has culminated with the delivery of the Octavia VRS in Candy White yesterday. The buying experience from Gurudev Motors in Chennai was absolutely great. I would recommend going with the salesperson Mr.Kumaresan who was very well informed about the car and constantly kept updating me about the status of the car.

The car is wonderful in every way as observed and detailed by Mr Nikhil except the suspension - is stiff as hell. My 320D is way more comfortable when compared to the Octavia. Very minute imperfections which are hardly visible to the naked eye gets pushed into the cabin. I feel more like I am riding a horse than seated in a luxury/sport sedan. However the funny thing is as the speed picks up the tossing around in the cain reduces. I checked the tire pressure and it is 32 PSI.

I am wondering if it would make any difference changing the tires to Michelin PS4. I called the local tire shop and they offered to buyback the Hankooks at 6000Rs and offered the Michelins at 12000. So would be fitting a bill of 24000Rs out of pocket. If it will make things any better I am am willing to go for it as my back cannot bear this stiff a ride. The decision has to be made soon as the more the car runs the less the buyback value. What do you you guys think?
a2k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 10:24   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k View Post
After deliberating over months staring from the pre-facelift Octavia 1.8 TSI to the facelift version my journey has culminated with the delivery of the Octavia VRS in Candy White yesterday.

I am wondering if it would make any difference changing the tires to Michelin PS4. I called the local tire shop and they offered to buyback the Hankooks at 6000Rs and offered the Michelins at 12000. So would be fitting a bill of 24000Rs out of pocket. What do you you guys think?
The stiffness is due to the suspension setup more so than the tires. Unless you're planning on going to 225/50 with the PS4, the difference with switch to Michelin in the same size will be minute if any at all. If you're really looking to sacrifice the sporty nature of the car, you could also look for the Michelin P3ST which is a more comfort oriented tire than the PS4.
jalajprakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 15:39   #438
a2k
BHPian

I tried getting the Michelin P3ST but dealers are out of stock. I had another question with regarding to filing up gas. I went to Ekayars fuel station in T.Nagar which is a BP station. They have three varieties of petrol the normal one, Speed and Speed 97. The guys in the bunk said the mid-variant Speed which is 2 Rs more than normal petrol is 95 Octane and the highest variant which is 13 Rs more than the normal variant. Is it true because I read somewhere that there is no 95 Octane in India.
Old 23rd September 2017, 16:46   #439
BHPian

Quote:
I tried getting the Michelin P3ST but dealers are out of stock. I had another question with regarding to filing up gas. I went to Ekayars fuel station in T.Nagar which is a BP station. They have three varieties of petrol the normal one, Speed and Speed 97. The guys in the bunk said the mid-variant Speed which is 2 Rs more than normal petrol is 95 Octane and the highest variant which is 13 Rs more than the normal variant. Is it true because I read somewhere that there is no 95 Octane in India.
Yes, what you read is correct. Speed is simply normal petrol with detergents and additives. Speed97 is actually 97 octane petrol. You should be fine with normal petrol and Speed for regular use and tank up with Speed97 for special occasions. For example, I fill up with Speed97 in my Laura TSI when I take it to the track.
jalajprakash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 00:31   #440
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If it is possible for you to fill 97 every time there is nothing like it. Though normal fuel will work just fine. No need to fill the regular speed at all. Regular fuel and speed at both 91RON (= to 87 octane I believe) and 97 is 97RON (= to 93 octane).
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 02:58   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
I agree that it's better in almost every way but it's at the end of it's life cycle. And i'm the kind of person that would rather have the latest.

So the hard part of this decision is, should i be impatient and pick up the ageing F30 or wait and get the G20. It could be a year away easily.
Why not stretch a bit more and get the new 530i? I have been very happy with this car and meets your criteria of a brand new model which will stay fresh for the next 7 years. I have the same requirement as you to buy only all new models at the start of their life cycle. The difference in ex-showroom prices between 330i M Sport and 530i sport line seems to be only about 7 lakhs, unless you are getting a big discount on the 330i.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 08:34   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The P3ST is anyway not available in this size. The PS4 is the only Michelin option in 225/45-17.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 12:05   #443
a2k
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
The stiffness is due to the suspension setup more so than the tires. Unless you're planning on going to 225/50 with the PS4, the difference with switch to Michelin in the same size will be minute if any at all. If you're really looking to sacrifice the sporty nature of the car, you could also look for the Michelin P3ST which is a more comfort oriented tire than the PS4.
There is this product called Rogerab which attaches to your coil spring that was recommended by the tire dealer. Will this make the ride softer or worse. Also will this cause any harm to the already stiff suspension thus voiding the warranty.
Old 24th September 2017, 12:23   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is this product called Rogerab which attaches to your coil spring that was recommended by the tire dealer. Will this make the ride softer or worse. Also will this cause any harm to the already stiff suspension thus voiding the warranty.
Makes it only stiffer and raises ride height as they are essentially urethane dampers.

http://rogermotors.com/product/rogerab/
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 22:11   #445
BHPian

Finally got a blue RS alloted to me! Looking forward to a PDI post the long weekend 🙂
Hells Bells is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 22:27   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Finally got a blue RS alloted to me! Looking forward to a PDI post the long weekend 🙂
Superb! Congrats! By far and away the best colour in my opinion! . But then, I might be a bit biased!

Nikhilb2008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 02:33   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Man, if somebody is even beginning to think of putting Rogerabs in an Octavia, RS or not, he's a thoroughly confused guy and has got it all wrong about what to expect from a particular car, at least suspension-wise.

Firstly, I would like to congratulate Skoda for being the first carmaker in India(correct me if I'm wrong, somebody) to give us a separate, dedicated, distinctive, definitive, proper, Sports/Sporty variant of an already brilliant model of it's car alongside the regular model and which is not just a "makeshift" make-believe so-called sports version with updated stickers and 'S' badges and all such crap. Kudos to Skoda. I hope others get the drift after seeing the crazy demand it has generated (maybe even Skoda itself was caught off-guard) and start taking the millennial enthusiasts more seriously for a change. You can't lure the boys with just snazzy stickers these days, eh? They know the real thing. That's great.

Now all this is really really cool but it has created a slight issue, the way I sense it. Your see, the Indian car buyer was, till date, not used to a car this dedicated from A to Z. At least not at this price point. People always expected the car guys to make them a car which was at the same time dynamic to drive as a Skoda/VW, Soft ride for grandparents like a Hyundai, frugal like MUL, and cheap, and good resale, and cheap maintenance, and great looks, and on and on, all at the same time. Phew. Now that doesn't even sound like one single car, does it? But that's the general expectation from a car in India. We don't think different rides are meant for different things. We want to have our cake and eat it too. All the time. I think Skoda has just bust that thought process with the RS. And it's high time.

And since the RS this time is not the same "adjustment" that it was thus far in India, it would be swell if Skoda did something to get the focus right for the buyers. It's not all about just the power this time. It's a whole different package. Folks who want the regular "softness" always have the 1.8Tsi to go to. And that's wonderful. But Rogerabs?? Please!

The "expectations" mentioned above can technically be possible but certainly not anywhere near the 30lac odd OTR like RS. It would come at at least 2-10 times more, and above.

Sorry for the long post. It had to be said.
pixantz is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 09:53   #448
BHPian

Very true @pixantz. We do see the same conversations play out for SUVs too where the OTR price translates to an expectation of having a minimum carrying capacity (often 7 in Indian context). We often equate buying a car to buying a house - the higher the price, the more should be acres of space, catering to everyone's needs and please all
Old 1st October 2017, 07:56   #449
BHPian

@Chennai bhpians: Is the demo vRS available across Chennai Skoda dealerships?
Old 1st October 2017, 22:25   #450
BHPian

Got to see something special - the way a "still in a run-in period, not exceeding 5000 rpm" speed 97 run Octavia RS decimated and dominated a Bilstein B6ed 320D M Sport over multiple sea link runs was simply astonishing. Almost like the way a 320d decimates a Polo GT TSI in a rolling start.

I guess the real competition is the 330i and the 530d. 2 litre diesels just don't cut it. This car's going to SHATTER a lot of egos.

Last edited by d_himan : 1st October 2017 at 22:28.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed