Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2017, 11:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Tiago AMT coming up in the XT variant. EDIT: Launched at Rs 4.79 lakhs

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) for sharing this information with other enthusiasts via this page!

Tata Tiago AMT coming up in the XT variant. EDIT: Launched at Rs 4.79 lakhs-tiago.jpg

Tata had launched the Tiago AMT in March 2017 only in the top-end XZ variant (XZA) in its petrol guise (not diesel). Now, the Indian manufacturer might offer AMT in the lower XT trim as well. The Tiago AMT in XT variant (XTA) is expected to be launched in the second or third week of September this year. The company plans to produce 300 units of the Tiago XTA for the month of August and the production will be increased to 500 units in the coming months. We've been told that the XZA has very low volumes, and Tata hopes that the XTA will improve the automatic's sales.

The Tiago XT misses out on quite a bit of features over the XZ variant. These include steering mounted audio & phone controls, ABS with EBD & corner stability control, front fog lamps, rear wiper and defogger, ORVMs with LED turn signals and alloy wheels. Currently, the XZA variant is offered at a premium of Rs. 34,000 over the XZ Manual transmission model. The same premium is expected on the Tiago XTA variant as well. We had recently reported that Tata might also introduce a Limited Edition Tiago.

Currently, the Tiago XZA is offered only with a Petrol engine mated to a 5-speed AMT gearbox. The 1,199cc, 3-cylinder Revotron engine makes 83 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and has a peak torque of 114 Nm @ 3,500 rpm.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 13th August 2017 at 16:55.
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 11:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Tiago AMT coming up in the XT variant. EDIT: Launched at Rs 4.79 lakhs

If true, this is a very very regressive step from Tata. At a time when market leader Maruti is introducing top trim ATs in response to market sentiments, what is the logic behind discontinuing top trim ATs which you already have? It beats me why Tata is doing this. Does the Tata motors management want to undo the good work done with Tiago till now?

It is good if they introduce AMT in XT variant - it will give more choice to the customers & could help increase sales by retaining customers who go to other brands due to high asking price of XZA (compared to competitors who offer AMT in mid variant as well). However this doesn't mean XZA should be discontinued!

Last edited by AkMar : 11th August 2017 at 11:46.
AkMar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 11:45   #3
BHPian

Yeh Hei India Meri Jaan!
One manufacturer brings out Automatic in its highest trim of their blockbuster selling car because of popular demand and a few days later another manufacturer decides to drop the automatic from the highest trim on their only selling horse

Am really confused. There can be only 2 scenarios. One the demand is not much so TATA wants to sell automatic at lower costs and gain more market share. If this is the case, then I'm officially lost trying to decode the logic of Indian car buying customers. The second scenario is that the guy who decided this is definitely smoking something

Last edited by GTO : 13th August 2017 at 21:50. Reason: typo
RaghuVis is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 12:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

This CANNOT be true.

TATA thinkthank must have gone bonkers to even think of such regressive step. While Maruti is moving forward with customer demand of introducing AT variants in top end, why on earth would TATA move backwards ?

If at all, i think TATA will introduce XTA side by side with XZA.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 12:50   #5
BHPian

Tiago XZA is on my buy list and such a move would force me to look elsewhere.

This would also meant that movement for XZA has been minimal and most of the customers are only buying XT trim.

Indian car companies should start offering customisation or mix and match options to Indian buyers
vivek.ks is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 13:40   #6
BHPian

In Bangalore, the on road price difference between XZ and XZA is about 50k approximately. This puts the xza within touching distance of cars like the Baleno and Ignis. Ultimately, the Tiago is a Tata car and it's smaller than a Baleno and many people would be willing to forgo the convenience of an auto transmission for the prestige of owning a Baleno or something similar.

So as a business decision, selling the AMT in XTA only rather than in xza, makes perfect sense. The biggest draw of the Tiago is its vfm quotient and it makes sense to promote and protect that.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 13:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

The only rational explanation might be profitability. Given that XZA all the goodies and AMT at only a 34k premium over XZ, Tata might not be making much.

It doesn't justify the decision though; even if at low profitability, if the market appreciates your product/variant, continue it! There's no downside to not offering it.

The other possible reason could be cannibalization; given the low premium, XZA might be trumping XZ. And then we're back at reason no. 1.

Tata should offer the AMT on both XT and XZ, is what I feel. Learn from Maruti and Hyundai, provide so many options on a single car that the customer has no reason not to buy it.

If and when I need a second car, I think I'll go for the Tiago AMT. If there's no XZA, I might not buy it. Having the EcoSport AT in the top trim is what made the buying decision easier.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 22:20   #8
BHPian

A regressive decision by Tata Motors, if this news turns out to be true. Why give up on XZA? What about buyers who look for AMT with all safety features? Why make them choose something else, when Tiago is the bread and butter and pudding for TML right now. Both XZA and XTA should co-exist.

OT: Same case with Tigor too. If TML gave an option of 2 petrol engines (the current one and the one in Zest), it would have sold more than Zest.

Don't give an option to customers to look else-where.
Old 12th August 2017, 07:14   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn. I hope this is not true. Why would they do this to the product that is single handedly trying to get their whole passenger car business on track. The launch of the AMT in the top end variant has created a lot of interest and positive sentiment in the market. It doesn't really make sense in them discontinuing it. Infact I have been waiting for them to add the AMT variant in the Tigor line up.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 10:16   #10
BHPian

First of all, this is not official. So all the discussion on this might end up being pointless if proven wrong. Secondly, we don't know how many were buying that particular variant. It's not that people at Tata are stupid, I am very certain those who take these decisions are much smarter than us and know much more about the market and current situation better than us. And those wanting to buy this variaby, if they really want go ahead and buy while they can. That they won't sell it anymore is not a good reason IMO
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 19:13   #11
BHPian

It's official Tiago is coming in XTA version and the good news is that the top end XZA version will also be available. XTA will be priced at par with Celerio VXI AMT.

Last edited by damodar : 12th August 2017 at 19:24.
damodar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 20:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ah, that's a Good Work done by Tata.

Today itself, I had gone to finalize a Hexa for my friend, and saw 3 Tiago XZA being delivered at same time.

That itself speaks about demand for this AMT version. Also, XT is the most popular variant in Tiago Range. So, Tata has done right thing in offering AMT in the most popular version.

One thing is that ABS isn't available in XT, so Tata should offer it as a standard on AMT version. While Airbags are available in XT(O) variant. But whether Tata offers it in XT or XT(O) trim remains to be seen.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 07:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
One thing is that ABS isn't available in XT, so Tata should offer it as a standard on AMT version. While Airbags are available in XT(O) variant. But whether Tata offers it in XT or XT(O) trim remains to be seen.
Agree with your thoughts but sad to see Tata not doing it yet. Their optional safety pack also misses the ABS. Renault did the same some months back by introducing Easy R on a mid variant but no ABS on the entire Kwid range. Same story with Grand i10 AT as well - no ABS except the top trim of AT. Until the Govt. Rule comes in most manufacturers with the exception of Maruti dont seem to be focusing on safety
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 16:56   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: My apologies guys! We just received a clarification that the XTA will be offered over & above the XZA (i.e. XZA is not being discontinued).

The opening post has been corrected. Regret the inconvenience.

Last edited by GTO : 13th August 2017 at 17:26.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 10:46   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tiago XTA has been launched at Rs 4.79 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi.

RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed