Team-BHP - Mercedes-Benz GLC Celebration Edition launched at Rs. 50.86 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mercedes-Benz GLC Celebration Edition launched at Rs. 50.86 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/189433-mercedes-benz-glc-celebration-edition-launched-rs-50-86-lakh.html)

Mercedes-Benz has launched a special edition of the GLC to mark the 70th anniversary of India's independence. The Celebration Edition of the GLC 220d is priced at Rs. 50.86 lakh while that of the GLC 300 costs Rs. 51.25 lakh (ex-showroom, India).

Mercedes-Benz GLC Celebration Edition launched at Rs. 50.86 lakh-glc.jpg

Mercedes-Benz has also introduced a new exterior colour option - Designo hyacinth red, which will be available across the GLC range. The GLC Celebration Edition gets a chrome trim on the front bumper, faux air vents and tail gate. It comes with gloss black ORVM housings and LED logo projectors on exit lamps as standard. Inside, the special edition gets sports pedals in a stainless steel finish and Garmin navigation system.

Mechanically, the GLC Celebration Edition remains unchanged. It is offered with a 1,991cc, 4-cylinder, turbocharged petrol engine which produces 241 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 370 Nm @ 1,300 - 4,000 rpm. The diesel unit on offer is a 2,143cc engine which makes 168 BHP @ 3,000-4,200 rpm and a peak torque of 400 Nm @ 1,400 - 2,800 rpm. Both engines are mated to a 9-speed automatic gearbox.

Is this edition even worth the time and effort the German MBIL head has taken to put on Indian wear!
Least they could have done is given new rims or something substantial

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 4252329)
Is this edition even worth the time and effort the German MBIL head has taken to put on Indian wear!
Least they could have done is given new rims or something substantial

Its more like GLC ain't selling so lets do a makeover edition. Unfortunately it won't sell either until they rationalize that price. In its current state, it is just way too overpriced for what it offers.

It is sad to see Germans coming up with such tricks (I meant no offence to anyone). A luxury brand announcing some "edition" with extra chrome finish and a fancy light? They will be better off by dropping price a little and marketing that and, a few more attractive offers.

Probably, it is just to print a story in media to attract attention. It still sounds lame.

Looks like someone from MSIL has joined MBIL product marketing team to come up with these tricks!

With the exception of the colour, the other items could be added on a sunday afternoon in my backyard!

They are essentially introducing a new colour.

This particular red shade was there in the Launch Edition, if my memory serves me well.

If the ladies and young people in the family are involved in a car purchase, a red colour in the palette makes it easier for many of them to take a positive decision.

Those chrome bits and the carbon mirror housing are already available as accessories. Maybe cost 50.000 or 60,000 in total.

It makes sense only if someone wanted that color and no other will do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reignofchaos (Post 4252360)
Its more like GLC ain't selling so lets do a makeover edition. Unfortunately it won't sell either until they rationalize that price. In its current state, it is just way too overpriced for what it offers.

I don't know, they claim that the GLC is the highest selling in its segment. The Sport version costs about 56 L OTR in Bangalore (after discounts), which is 3-6 lakhs lesser than the comparable version of Disco Sport. Q5 is phased out. X3 is on its way out.

All premium cars have a minimum discount margin of 15%, over and above this the manufacturer and the dealer still make a lot of money. Some phased out models are even sold at 15 - 18 lakhs discounts! Yes all the premium cars are over priced, both the government and the premium car manufacturers are in a competition from time immemorial in India. As to who will raise their margin / tax higher. All the premium cars sold in India are priced @150% of their real price (as compared to the regular cars 4 meters and above which are @100%)[eg. if Tata Hexa is costing 7 lakhs (including manufacturer and dealer margin), it will be OTR 14 lakhs (which includes only government taxes and LTT@20%)].

When it is known to even premium segment players that India is a price sensitive market and even elite class (in most of the cases) will look for value for money while making purchase decisions !

The three German players have always resorted on discounts at the end of their financial year to ensure market superiority / dominance. They should consider realistic pricing of the products offered in Indian market for better spread of year long sales instead of year end / seasonal / product discontinuation discounts !

What is the target segment for this new launch? Same as the original GLC; what is there to celebrate? and who is going to celebrate? Mercedes Benz?

Disappointing !

Does this celebration warrant memory seats or is that saved for the ultimate "rip-off" edition?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4252203)
Mercedes-Benz has launched a special edition of the GLC to mark the 70th anniversary of India's independence. The Celebration Edition of the GLC 220d is priced at Rs. 50.86 lakh while that of the GLC 300 costs Rs. 51.25 lakh (ex-showroom, India)

Mechanically, the GLC Celebration Edition remains unchanged. It is offered with a 1,991cc, 4-cylinder, turbocharged petrol engine which produces 241 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 370 Nm @ 1,300 - 4,000 rpm. The diesel unit on offer is a 2,143cc engine which makes 168 BHP @ 3,000-4,200 rpm and a peak torque of 400 Nm @ 1,400 - 2,800 rpm. Both engines are mated to a 9-speed automatic gearbox.

Somehow after seeing the Compass in the flesh and experiencing its build quality and features (top end) as well as the engine specs on offer , This looks horrendously overpriced . Not an apple to apple comparison but just saying. I believe the top end Compass will definitely attract buyers from a segment or two above who aren't completely fixated on the merc Audi or BMW badges

Quote:

Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 (Post 4253205)
Does this celebration warrant memory seats or is that saved for the ultimate "rip-off" edition?

Couldn't agree more, a needless edition excepting for supposedly a new color.

Test drove the GLC diesel a month ago and it was nothing to write home about, the petrol motor might be a different ball game but the SA himself critically spoke for 20 mts against buying the petrol unit, let alone giving a test drive. For a while I was confused if he was talking of a competitor car !!

Any one recently got a quote from dealers in Bangalore for GLC220 Sport/ GLE250 CDI?

What is best price they are offering.? I would like to use these numbers as a base for my negotiations.
From what I have heard from unofficial sources is that the price difference is negligible (~4-5 lakhs) between both of them.

Thanks a lot in advance.