Team-BHP - Government to add 10,000 electric cars to its fleet
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Electric Cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/)
-   -   Government to add 10,000 electric cars to its fleet (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/189453-government-add-10-000-electric-cars-its-fleet.html)

Earlier this year, we had reported that the Government of India is aiming to stop the sales of all petrol and diesel cars in the country by 2030 and only allow the sales of electric cars. Now, according to media reports, the government is looking to replace the existing cars in its fleet with electric vehicles. As a step in this direction, the state-owned Energy Efficiency Services Ltd. (EESL) has invited global bids for 10,000 electric cars.

Government to add 10,000 electric cars to its fleet-teslamodel3.jpg

The EESL has revealed that the government is looking at all-electric four-door sedans offering a range of 120-150 km on a single charge. The organisation plans to acquire 1,000 electric sedans in the first phase. These cars will be used by government departments in Delhi-NCR. At present, the only all-electric sedan on sale in India is the Mahindra eVerito.

Tenders have also been floated for setting up a charging infrastructure in the area in which these cars will mostly operate. The plan is to install 3,000 alternating current (AC) charging points and another 1,000 direct current (DC) charging stations. Additionally, 400 chargers are expected to be provided by NTPC and PowerGrid at different locations in Delhi-NCR.

Under the recent tax reforms, electric cars, 2-wheelers and 3-wheelers attract 12% tax. All petrol and diesel vehicles attract 28% tax, while luxury and hybrid cars also attract an additional cess.

Source: ET Auto

As per EESL, the main criteria is:

1. All electric cars
2. 120-150 KM range.
3. 4 door sedans.

There are few all-electric vehicles with specified range (or more) worldwide mentioned below:

1. All Tesla cars (Model S, Model X and Model 3) - 220+ miles or 350+ KM range
2. Chevrolet Bolt - 238 miles or 380 KM range
3. Current gen Nissan Leaf (170 KM range) and upcoming Leaf (Sep, 2017 launch - 250+ KM)
4. Hyundai Ioniq - 124 miles or 200 KM range
5. VW e-golf - 120 miles or 190+ KM range

Out of these, only Tesla and Hyundai vehicles meet the criteria no. 3, i.e.. 4-door sedan. Tesla Model S and X will be out of contention as they are costly. Also, as per Tesla website right hand drive models of Model 3 will be in production only from 2019.

Only Hyundai Ioniq seems to meet the govt's criteria. Govt need to change the norms to accept hatchbacks also. With Chevrolet closing its Indian operations, then at least we will see interest from Nissan in addition to Hyundai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4252606)
The plan is to install 3,000 alternating current (AC) charging points and another 1,000 direct current (DC) charging stations.

Source: ET Auto

This could become a blunder/waste of infrastructure in long term. As I already said in one of my previous posts, Govt of India should brain-storm (maybe through ARAI?) and come up with one single charging standard as a policy for all electric cars in India. It would be much better if the option is to directly plug-in to a 16A 220v socket. With this, we can eliminate the extra burden to build charging stations and helps in penetrating the electric car revolution in our country. We are lagging way behind the world in electric cars & if we have to start with setting-up charging stations of different formats/standards, then I believe we are doing something fundamentally wrong.

How about we as a forum start the discussions on standardizing one 'charging standard' in India that can be taken further?

Quote:

Originally Posted by G V Krishna (Post 4252693)
Govt of India should brain-storm (maybe through ARAI?) and come up with one single charging standard as a policy for all electric cars in India.

I guess that is what the government is trying to do here by procuring EVs in bulk and setting up charging stations en masse. DC stations would be fast charging ones I guess while AC stations would be regular charging. With 4000 charging stations in place, there should be enough pull for others to fall in line and incorporate these charging standards.

Hope this become another success story like the LED bulbs.

I can't believe the era of EV is coming this fast. I really feel sorry for the coming generation. They won't enjoy the roaring engines or smoking barrels if things go in this pace. Anyway , I hope at least there will be "Engines to Electric drive conversion kits" so that we can still keep the beauties as it is externally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JozfGT (Post 4252797)
I can't believe the era of EV is coming this fast. I really feel sorry for the coming generation. They won't enjoy the roaring engines or smoking barrels if things go in this pace. Anyway , I hope at least there will be "Engines to Electric drive conversion kits" so that we can still keep the beauties as it is externally.

The next generation would be surprised that we were burning fossil fuels for transportation. The way the world is moving the next generation would consider any activity releasing green houses gases as a sin(except for living).

Quote:

. I really feel sorry for the coming generation. They won't enjoy the roaring engines or smoking barrels if things go in this pace.

The IC engines are simply no match to the incredible power and torque that an electric motor can generate right from 0 rpm silently with no drama. So silent that new regulations in the US and EU require EVs to add artificial sounds at lower speeds for pedestrian safety.

The EVs will be definitely more fun to drive once we have Tesla cars like quality at afforable prices.

The IC engines do exactly what you mentioned, roaring and smoking, lots of moving parts and wasting 85% of the energy from the burnt fuel.
Its just that battery charge holding capacity per unit volume is in its nascent stage seriously limiting the range, cost and potential of the EV as it stands now. This is bound to change with economies of scale and intensive R&D advanvements in battery technology.

Quote:

I can't believe the era of EV is coming this fast. I really feel sorry for the coming generation. They won't enjoy the roaring engines or smoking barrels if things go in this pace.

Seriously, there are people that enjoy smoking barrels? :Frustrati
I understand about engine sound to some extent but enjoying smoke?

The range of electric vehicles today is as good as IC vehicles imagine a petrol automatic sedan like a Civic. The rangr will be = 45 x 9 = 405 kms. Electric cars will soon surpass this by leaps and bounds.

While this is good news, I cannot help but think a move like this might be a bit too early for a country like ours?

We will do well to upgrade the ill-maintained age old diesel vehicles with something newer and cleaner. Maybe a petrol hybrid.

Overcharging and fully discharging! That's the Achilles heel of the battery packs in these EVs. And I really don't trust the government departments to take care of such things while using a fully electric automobile.

What we may end up with will be many cars rotting away with a shot battery pack on the office premises. For a country which is short of money, there is absolutely no accountability on how tax payers money is spent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000rpm (Post 4252872)
The range of electric vehicles today is as good as IC vehicles imagine a petrol automatic sedan like a Civic. The rangr will be = 45 x 9 = 405 kms. Electric cars will soon surpass this by leaps and bounds.

The advantage IC engines have over electric is the fast recharge. While an electric car has to be charged for half an hour minimum, a gasoline one will hardly take minutes for full tank. The day we make swapping of batteries effortless, electric vehicles will change the car scene.

I like the Gogoro scooters concept a lot as they just need to swap the batteries and you are ready to go within a minute.https://www.gogoro.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 4252907)
Maybe a petrol hybrid.

Sadly our genius government is no longer interested in Hybrids.

It won't fit the range criteria but Mahindra could think of supplying Verito's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottocycle (Post 4252927)
I like the Gogoro scooters concept a lot as they just need to swap the batteries and you are ready to go within a minute.https://www.gogoro.com

I remember reading somewhere that this is what the government is thinking of. Quick disconnect, replaceable battery cells. It could be possible as we already have a lot of labor involved in dispensing of fuel in the pumps today. They could just switch to disconnect>remove>replace>connect mode. If done right, it can be done in 5 mins or less. But, I don't know if the technology is ready for this yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmohan (Post 4252956)
Sadly our genius government is no longer interested in Hybrids.

It seems that they have justification for that and I tend to agree with that. Piyush Goyal, the minister for power says "It reduced fuel consumption a little bit but the future is all electric cars. I had also recommended to the finance minister that it is not advisable for an intermediate technology which reduces the fuel consumption by a little bit but otherwise that is not the future, the future is all electric cars."

This is a welcome move!
You'd be surprised how much the fuel bills are fudged by govt. drivers to make that extra buck, even though they are already on very high salaries as compared to normal drivers.

All these backdoors etc need to be plugged, to stop draining govt. funds which need to be put for social causes rather than individual gains for greedy folks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuHasstMich (Post 4253040)
This is a welcome move!
You'd be surprised how much the fuel bills are fudged by govt. drivers to make that extra buck, even though they are already on very high salaries as compared to normal drivers.

All these backdoors etc need to be plugged, to stop draining govt. funds which need to be put for social causes rather than individual gains for greedy folks.

Actually in the past 10 years the government hasn't really hired any new drivers or bought any cars. Transporting government officials has been contracted out with a set number of kms allowed each month and a fixed payment to the contractor, anything extra and the govt official pays out of pocket.

I don't think it is a good idea for the government to directly buy these cars since these cars will be neglected and electric cars aren't as bulletproof yet as your average Maruti Suzuki Dzire Taxi. Might be a better idea to stick to the current model and invite contractors to buy (perhaps at a discounted price) and maintain these cars with an attached contract promising the government will use them