Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2017, 10:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website

Thanks to Tajinder Pal for sharing this information. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website-outlander.jpg

Mitsubishi India could be gearing up to launch a new SUV in India. The company has just listed the Mitsubishi Outlander on their website.

Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website-outlander1.jpg

The new Outlander features Mitsubishi's "Dynamic Shield" front-end design. The dual-tone bumper has a central gloss black portion with chrome highlights. The twin-slat grille is also finished in chrome flanked by revised headlights that sit flush into the front fascia. The overall design update is claimed to have made the Outlander more aerodynamic than before. Mitsubishi claims a 7 percent reduction in the drag coefficient. It also gets a new interior with piano black trim around the centre console.

Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website-outlander2.jpg

Mitsubishi hasn't announced the engine that will power the new Outlander in India; however, they have mentioned some of the features that will be available. The Outlander will likely be offered with a CVT transmission. According to the website, the gearbox comes with a sports mode and paddle shifters. It is expected to get an electronically controlled four-wheel drive system, ABS with EBD, active stability control, hill start assist, electronic parking brake with auto hold function, etc.

Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website-outlander3.jpg

Other features listed on the website include, automatic headlamps and rain sensing wipers, LED headlamps and fog lamps, Rockford Fosgate audio system with a 6.1-inch touchscreen, dual-zone automatic climate control and keyless entry.

Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website-outlander4.jpg

The new Mitsubishi Outlander will compete with the likes of Toyota Fortuner, Ford Endeavour and Volkswagen Tiguan. Mitsubishi has not yet announced its launch date.
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website-outlander5.jpg  

Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website-outlander6.jpg  

Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website-outlander7.jpg  

TusharK is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 15:31   #2
BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website

That's great news. But then their dealership network is way too thin and also hope that Mitsubishi doesn't goof-up the pricing, just like they did with the Montero.

Between, what's with the usage of LHD Outlander images for India. Oversight or laziness?

Last edited by Vinodh_Gowda : 22nd August 2017 at 15:34.
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 20:09   #3
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post
Oversight or laziness?
I would say both, especially when it comes from a company like Mitsubishi. They have surprise launches and their products are mostly brought by people who have a higher than average awareness about the automotive scene.

That being said, the car definitely looks great. I really like the front grill. The interiors look nice, but in this age of Apple Carplay and Android Auto, the ICE is just about average. However, it does offer 4x4 and if it is priced close to the Tucson, it will make for a good buy(after sales and service being discounted).

Waiting to see the new Pajero on our roads.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 21:15   #4
BHPian

Any idea on whether it has parking sensors in front and rear and /'or rear camera
Old 22nd August 2017, 21:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website

The outlander in its last stint failed miserably since it did not have a Diesel engine. Going by the above images it still looks like the same. Although the market is moving favourably towards petrol, no one virtually buys petrol in SUV's especially the bigger ones like these.

It is it just a facelift on the existing outlander just to give it another push?

Either way it's a lost cause for Mitsubishi. Now that they have aligned with Nissan-Renault globally, it's best they exit India and let Nissan- Renault represent the alliance. They can always bring Mitsubishi products to India under Nissan or Renault if they see the product fit for the country.

Last edited by motorworks : 22nd August 2017 at 21:22.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 21:21   #6
BHPian

There's nothing that differentiates it from it's competitors. Every "feature" they have highlighted can be found in it's competitors. Every design touch can be matched or exceeded. Probably the mechanicals are great and robust but this is just another addition to that group.

If priced right (I mean, absolutely insanely great pricing), then it provides an option.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:21   #7
BHPian

Perhaps it is a good time to launch the Outlander, with all the buzz around the Jeep and its Compass.
If the price is closer to the Compass/Creta(Top-end) rather than trying to compete with the Tiguan, it would sell like hot cakes.

What I dont understand is, why make it compete with the Fortuner, Endeavour, Tiguan, when they have the Pajero to do that.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2017 at 10:46. Reason: Language
Sonubbsr is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:27   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonubbsr View Post
Perhaps it is a good time to launch the Outlander, with all the buzz around the Jeep and its Compass.
Think of the Santa FE, and that’s where it would probably land in. And the numbers they do probably will be that range as well. Outlander maybe a decent car but I don’t see any USP it brings to the market.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2017 at 10:47. Reason: Quoted post edited
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:37   #9
Team-BHP Support

Going by their 0-100 time mentioned its still probably the 2.4 MIVEC engine. This again seems to be a competent product, but a few years late as seems to be the case with Mitsubishi. Didn't they also launch a new Montero a few months ago, I've not seen a single one or heard any more chatter on that either.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:51   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mitsubishi might have gotten some customers with the old Outlander, but no one is touching the new Outlander with a barge pole. Reason = Competition. The Outlander first came to India in 2008 when the 20 lakh SUV space had virtually no players. Despite not having a diesel, it did manage double-digit volumes.

Now however, the segment is crowded with the Hyundai Creta, Jeep Compass, XUV500, Tucson, Tiguan and what not.

This one is going to sink faster than the Titanic.

Quote:
Between, what's with the usage of LHD Outlander images for India. Oversight or laziness?
This really, really gets my goat. The German brands are especially notorious - they even use LHD cars in ads !
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Engine details have not been mentioned at their website.

However, if it equipped with ONLY the Naturally aspirated Petrol 2.4 mill (more than a decade old), it will be a dead-BEFORE-arrival.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 12:51   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
They have surprise launches and their products are mostly brought by people who have a higher than average awareness about the automotive scene.
I hope they have enough of these *intelligent* people who have higher than average awareness about the automotive scene so that dealer's can manage to pay their rent and meet their overheads.

I am definitely not one of them who will jump into a Mitsubishi in India, unless Mitsu dumps HM and takes the reigns on their own.

I also don't see why anyone would buy a Pajero Sport or an Outlander in it's current avatar given the competition. Maybe the crowd you mentioned knows a thing or two more than me.
Old 23rd August 2017, 13:16   #13
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I hope they have enough of these *intelligent* people who have higher than average awareness about the automotive scene so that dealer's can manage to pay their rent and meet their overheads.
These *intelligent* people are much more informed about the Indian automotive scene than the casual public who are buying cars. I am pretty sure that a big percentage of car buying people are unaware of Mitsubishi and its products however, the *intelligent* kind are aware of the brand and are willing to give it a look. Though their numbers would be limited to 2 digits per month.

Quote:
I am definitely not one of them who will jump into a Mitsubishi in India, unless Mitsu dumps HM and takes the reigns on their own.
Buying a Mitsubishi in India is not a very practical choice.

Quote:
I also don't see why anyone would buy a Pajero Sport or an Outlander in it's current avatar given the competition. Maybe the crowd you mentioned knows a thing or two more than me.
I don't think we will find many people who have automotive knowledge like you. It will be more about the mind-set and the appetite to take a calculated risk. The Mitsubishi might appeal to a few appeal, but they will have to deal with the after sales and service of HM-Mitsubishi. As I said, I don't see the sales number reaching 3 digits.

Last edited by AYP : 23rd August 2017 at 13:18.
Old 24th August 2017, 02:19   #14
BHPian

I am actually excited to finally see this variant getting launched in India. I drove this car for 3000+ km (in 10 days) across Iceland last year and it was great experience (i mean the drive). The car is comfortable, adequate torque on tap, CVT gearbox is practical enough to cruise at triple digits as well as overtake on narrow gravel roads. We even drove the car to the top of a small mountain/hill without any road and car never groaned even once! The interiors are functional and seats super comfy with ample leg/head/shoulder room.

I wouldn't mind buying this in India subject to a decent pricing strategy. In fact, I think it can be a great buy if priced between top end XUV and CRV.

Quote:

Audi extensively uses LHD images in all their brochures/print media! i fail to understand the logic / sheer lack of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonubbsr View Post

What I dont understand is, why make it compete with the Fortuner, Endeavour, Tiguan, when they have the Pajero to do that.
I fully agree with you, more so because this will be a 5 seater (going by international standards). Hope the Japanese are able to come up with a good pricing strategy!
rohan.xj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 03:17   #15
BHPian

This may be the car that I have been looking for, Japanese reliability like Toyota but coupled with the solid build and character of a Mitsubishi coupled with driver focused dynamics, judging by the previous generation.
Problem is the pricing. I am sure that it would be in the ballpark of the Endeavor, and at that price IŽd rather get the Ford or even the Pajero.
Also, donŽt know if it is just me but it lacks the wow factor and the effect of the old one when it came out. A Evo nosed one can still stand its own in styling but I have seen this car a few times in Europe and the styling is rather dull.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks