Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2017, 09:17   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai seeks own space amid Maruti Suzuki’s onslaught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
But at the cost of the balance people who would then upgrade to a Car, buy a Maruti and get locked in their ecosystem like Apple i-sheep.
Not a very apt example, as Suzuki cars are hardly aspirational, except for one or two examples like the Vitara Brezza, SCross 1.6, Baleno RS etc.

All the others play the value card to capture the market.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 14:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not a very apt example, as Suzuki cars are hardly aspirational, except for one or two examples like the Vitara Brezza, SCross 1.6, Baleno RS etc.

All the others play the value card to capture the market.
I apologise if I offend iPhone buyers. But I am stuck with an iPhone not because I consider it of higher value than Android phones but because of the coziness that Apple provided with their iTunes, safari etc. I definitely like the curved screens of Samsung but am scared of having to make an effort to transfer all data to an alien ecosystem and putting an effort to understand usage methodology and tips and tricks.

Similar is the case with Maruti, with their all encompassing ASS and allegedly unsafe / low value products proving to be a known devil. Why should anyone put in their efforts to try a new brand?

Personally, I will stick with Hyundai or Maruti if they treat me respectfully and have low value products rather than VW / Skoda who treat customers in not so respectful terms ( mildly speaking).
Carma2017 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 15:04   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Personally, I will stick with Hyundai or Maruti if they treat me respectfully and have low value products rather than VW / Skoda who treat customers in not so respectful terms ( mildly speaking).
There-in lies the advantage of Hyundai. It strikes a midway between good products (Usually the forte of europeans and american brands) and good service network (Maruti Suzuki stronghold)! However, I personally believe in choosing the best product, irrespective of the service. It is just not worth living with a poor product for years, just to get a comfortable feeling at the service station, once in a while!

Hence, given a choice between only these two - I would any day prefer the Hyundai range - unless Maruti Suzuki starts producing better products soon!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 07:52   #19

I dislike both brands because they both primarily focus on volumes. I am all out for automobile soul and heritage. Bring in the Mahindras, Fords and Fiats.

What? Automobiles should not be money makers. They should be soul movers.
Azzitcr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 08:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Unlike Maruti, Hyundai has options for its present customers to upgrade to another (albeit higher segment) Hyundai, with their range straddling many segments from the Eon to the Santa Fe.
I personally know Maruti owners who miss that higher segment Maruti (read SUV) thereby migrating to other brands.

Last edited by GTO : 28th August 2017 at 17:54. Reason: Typo
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 09:29   #21
BHPian

There is no doubt that Maruti is an excellent car maker. When you drive Maruti cars, you will feel that the car is very good and very competent.

But there is something about Hyundai cars that Maruti cars will never have. The sheer quality and class of interiors, design, engine, etc are far ahead of Maruti.

I'd prefer Eon, grandi10, elitei20, xcent, verna to alto, swift, baleno, dzire and ciaz.

Why?
Eon - Alto : Eon is simple classier at that price point. the entry level car buyer gets more spacious and excellent interiors.

Grandi10 - Swift: The sheer quality of the grandi10 just blows the Swift away

Elitei20 vs Baleno: I dont think I need to say anything here! i20 is just amazzinngg

Xcent vs Dzire: The xcent quality and fit and finish are simple too good. I dont think Dzire can match the Xcent in terms of look and feel! Plus, the engines are very good too alongwith the TC unit in the petrol auto

verna vs ciaz: I have never liked the ciaz. drove it a lot and never liked it. The feel that verna gives is a class apart. of course, the specifics such as engine, quality etc are better on the verna too. Look out for the new verna!!

Only other car maker that can kill Hyundai is Toyota but their plans for India are very passive! Give the Indian buyer the Brazilian Etios and see if they buy anything else.
sjain2054 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 12:14   #22
BHPian

It's true that Hyundai can never catch up to Maruti in terms of sales numbers. Maruti is going from strength to strength and churning out an ever increasing number of good cars. Hyundai has always been considered more premium than the VFM Maruti. And I agree with many who said that it was Hyundai which forced Maruti to up the game and equip their cars with modern gizmos and safety features.

However, I've been thinking. Could this be the starting steps to place Hyundai's sister brand Kia in our market? Globally Kia is the cheaper alternative to Hyundai, like Skoda is to VW. Maybe Hyundai is going to go more upmarket, and thus place Kia in the void it leaves behind. Could it be??
Speed.Demon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 12:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
It's true that Hyundai can never catch up to Maruti in terms of sales numbers. Maruti is going from strength to strength and churning out an ever increasing number of good cars. Hyundai has always been considered more premium than the VFM Maruti. And I agree with many who said that it was Hyundai which forced Maruti to up the game and equip their cars with modern gizmos and safety features.

However, I've been thinking. Could this be the starting steps to place Hyundai's sister brand Kia in our market? Globally Kia is the cheaper alternative to Hyundai, like Skoda is to VW. Maybe Hyundai is going to go more upmarket, and thus place Kia in the void it leaves behind. Could it be??
I recently saw an ad in all major newspapers calling for partnership to setup Kia dealerships. So, what you said looks to be quite a possibility.

Last edited by GTO : 28th August 2017 at 17:55. Reason: Language
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 27th August 2017, 17:21   #24
BHPian

Very unsettling comment from such a high position is not heard of in my memory at least! That too from a resolved and determined company like Hyundai. 15 years back, I was surprised, when I drove a Santro 2002 and thought this guys are serious! The build and the composure, quality etc were miles ahead of Maruti! They made themselves proud by reaching here! Why suddenly this talk which is kind of submissive and giving up! You can give up quietly as well and charter a new path and strategy!

Look at Toyota in terms of profitability. Learn a lesson or two from them. With all kinds of misses, hits, bruises, they (low cost sedan/hatch back debacle) just walk like nothing happened.

Just keep on increase your sales and be determined. Never consider yourself premium! You are not one at least yet! You are a value player (until recently, that too) Looking at Creta, Tucson pricing, that too is gone, which is dangerous. Toyota internationally a value/reliability player and not a premium player. Still they are profitable and threatening GM/VW in the number game.

Personally, this is should be the strategy: Premium feel at a reasonable price back it up good after sales support/cheaper spare.

Hyundai: you succeeded in this way and not acting like a premium!
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 22:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think what Hyundai said in public, others are speaking in their board rooms; everyone is looking for its niche to survive in Indian market as beating MSIL for next decade is difficult. A major paradigm shift will happen with introduction of EVs in India and that is the time when everyone again might be on the same page / at a level playing platform.

Kudos to MSIL for its pole position and everyone else who is struggling and not giving up on India (2nd time exit of GM from India is shameful).
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 18:05   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This - coming from the owner of an Xcent SX(o) who felt cheated when the crash results (Of the Indian Grand i10) showed a compromised structure.
True. Was surprised myself to see their safety results. But I was speaking more in terms of 'overall quality', and not specifically safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Hyundai's factory utilization has been in tune of 90%+ for quite some time now, which is simply phenomenal.
Crazy, man! They have actually had to discontinue some products which were still selling in the thousands (Santro = 4,000 / month) to release production capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjay View Post
I somehow feel Hyundai has missed a trick in the past few years. Their market share is stuck at 16% but one would have expected them to really start challenging Maruti by now.
Likewise with Maruti whose market-share has hovered around the 50% mark for years. I think it's credible that both these manufacturers have retained their market-share & grown volumes, despite so many new competitors in the last decade. Maruti & Hyundai have sent many MNC brands back to their headquarters with their tail between their legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzitcr View Post
Automobiles should not be money makers. They should be soul movers.
Post of the thread for me! Well said, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Unlike Maruti, Hyundai has options for its present customers to upgrade to another (albeit higher segment) Hyundai
I don't think the situation is going to change for Maruti. Suzuki is a weakling at the global level and doesn't have the money to invest in bigger, fancier cars.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 21:57   #27
BHPian

My take on Hyundai CEO's statement is

"We took all the right steps to get as close to Maruti as possible and were waiting for them to make a mistake in the last 16 years but they been relentless and have not blinked yet. Now it is time to shift the strategy and wait for the environment to change"

The environment change I feel is when (and if) India brings legislation for stricter crash norms. While it will also affect Hyundai (their i10 platforms are guilty as well) they are better placed to upgrade being on modern platforms. When Maruti is forced to retire older platforms (cash cows like Alto , Omni) that is when they can close the gap. If other competitors get a whiff of opportunity and bring their A game at the same time that is when I feel Hyundai can get closer to striking distance. Until then they would need to be aggressive setting their own targets and hope they do not get complacent.
Old 28th August 2017, 23:59   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
The environment change I feel is when (and if) India brings legislation for stricter crash norms. When Maruti is forced to retire older platforms (cash cows like Alto , Omni) that is when they can close the gap.
The prerequisite for even thinking about going after Maruti's volumes is to increase capacity. They can't make significantly more cars without either expanding the current facility or investing huge resources in setting up a new factory, along with their vendors. That's a huge move, and going by their CEO's statement, highly unlikely.

Seems they are playing safe and conserving cash for now. Totally understandable given the ever changing govt policies and regulations and their leading market position.
Old 29th August 2017, 07:07   #29
BHPian

Mr.Koo's statement, even though seems like BGO (blinding glimpse of obvious) I am wondering why he had to state it explicitly now, after more than 15 years of existence in the Indian market. Is he just setting the stage for Kia?
Old 29th August 2017, 12:53   #30

Maruti has done very well for itself over the years. Though their products are not always the best - they are the volume players. But take a step back and you'll see that till Hyundai arrived, Maruti had a complete monopoly in the passenger cars segment. Hyundai definitely brought in lot of innovation and forced the other car makers to innovate and improve their quality. That itself is the biggest gain for the Indian market.

Most Viewed