Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2006, 22:54   #196

Trying to choose between Zen and Santro

I am trying to choose between the new zen and Santro

Took a test drive of the new zen yesterday, and here are my observations

Pros

1) I liked the looks. Looks kind of attractive and modern from the outside..especially from the front. From the back it doesnt look that good.

2) Dashboard and controls are nice..beige color looks nice..AC is good..cools fast. Power steering is good (though it lacks 'feel'..but it's ok with me).

3) Seating position is higher. I get a better view of the road.

Cons
1) Gear shift sucks big time :(..as many people mentioned earlier. It's very vague and rubbery, plus the throw is very big and imprecise. This is the first thing u notice when u do a test drive. Definitely spoils the 'feel'. They shud trash this gearbox and put something like the one they have for Swift.

2) The breadth of the rear seat looks very small. Dealer told me it is a 'bench' type instead of the 'bucket' type that Santro uses. Anyway the seating comfort at the rear is very bad. Looks like whoever made this car, didnt expect people to sit in the back seat. Maybe it's bcos in Japan or wherever this car was designed and used, it was primarily a 1 or 2 seater.

I think the first change that Maruti might make to this car, is to make the rear seat better. By breadth of the rear seat I meant the distance from the back of the seat to the front (eg comparing a narrow bench to a broad bench)

3) Zen is smaller in dimensions compared to the Santro. This showed up in the seating comfort at the rear. 3 people at the rear seat seems to be a very tight fit in the Zen.

According to zen's brochure
Length = 3495mm
Width = 1495mm

For Santro, the figures are
Length = 3565mm
Width = 1525mm

So Santro is atleast 3 cm wider and 7 cm longer from the outside.

In the Zen's brochure, they tried to put it in a positive way saying that the inside of the car is spacious due to the compact placement of the engine and since the car has smaller dimensions it is easier to drive in the city

But I think it just says one thing..that the interiors are cramped.

4) I like the design but the car looked a little too tall for it's size from some angles.

5) Not sure if this one is correct...it's my personal opinion..someone pls correct me if I'm wrong...I want to fit a big speaker at the rear. In the Santro I can fit it on the board they have in the boot behind the seat. In the Zen I have to fit it either on the doors or on the hatch. I dont think I can fit a big speaker there and it might not give a good effect.

In addition to all this the effective on road price is much more than the Santro (since for Santro the dealers are giving quite a good discount).

Many of my friends have Santro, and I have driven it a lot and I like it. Plus it's a proven vehicle.

So I think I'll go with the Santro. Any suggestions ?
Old 17th December 2006, 23:08   #197
Senior - BHPian

i think it looks a lot cute. wagonr is sedantry in its looks. it is just an intellectual, so to speak. the estilo looks cute, if you dont like it, it is not for you. lol
Old 18th December 2006, 00:17   #198
Senior - BHPian

It sure is selling:

10,000 bookings for Maruti's Estilo in 10 days
Old 18th December 2006, 00:20   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulgulumaal View Post
Spy pics of santro update are bring pulblished in come mags... Unless you want to have an outdated car soon...

Just my personal opinion... But, all i liked about the santro is the engine... its got a good feel to it...

But, the rear seat, although fits 5 with more room, the suspension is on the stiff side, and the seats are hard... legroom is also nothing to talk about... (For me, I had to seat only one at the rear usually.. So, comfort mattered more than outright space)...
Old 18th December 2006, 07:31   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulgulumaal View Post
I am trying to choose between the new zen and Santro
I am also having hard time to choose between Santro, Wagon R and Estilo.......

With the year end discount in Kolkata, on road price of Santro XL is in between 3,50,000- 3,60,000/- where as it is 15, 000 more for Wagon R Lxi and about 45,000/- more for Estilo LXi variant.

Please help friends to choose among these three vehicles, Thanks
Old 18th December 2006, 08:44   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Going off topic...

We are going from zen to fiat to alpha... he he...
Sorry guys , My sincere Apologies for the same .
Old 18th December 2006, 12:57   #202
BHPian

Guess what, the zen estillo is already a generation old... Suzuki has launched a newer version of the MR Wagon...
MRS XS LIMITED

Honestly, I dont know what to say about the newer version.... its both nice (slight swift resemblence) and not nice (everything else!!)...so I will not comment
Old 18th December 2006, 13:02   #203
Senior - BHPian

Yes the Zen Estilo is actuallya six year old Suzuki MR Wagon(read older posts you will know)

As about te new one, the Headlights look straight from the Mini & the door handles look Santroish
Old 18th December 2006, 13:14   #204
Team-BHP Support

Had a look the New MR Wagon pic, and it looks way better than the Estilo launched here in India...!! That i would even consider worth buying.. the Estilo for its looks... Never !!
Old 18th December 2006, 15:42   #205
Team-BHP Support

But the new MR wagon is based on the Swift platform... And not the Alto platform as the old MR wagon...

Which could mean, a price simlar to swift....

At that price, there wont be many takers for it...
Old 18th December 2006, 16:34   #206
BHPian

Apart from the less headroom in Estilo than the WagonR... does Estilo have any space advantages than WagonR??? like read seats space, boot space,front space???
Old 19th December 2006, 05:13   #207
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulgulumaal
Hmmm....Nice ID.

Never, ever go for the current Santro. It would be a worst decision. I would just recommend you a brand new WagonR.

WagonR fits your bill for its practicality, reliability and the fact that its a thoroughly sensible all rounder that wont drain your wallet.

The reasons why WagonR is a better option is already explained at Team-BHP. Just use the search feature.
Old 19th December 2006, 14:01   #208
Senior - BHPian

Hey all

any idea if the estilo will be available in automatic?

Srikanth
Old 19th December 2006, 14:09   #209
Senior - BHPian

Sriky, I don't think so but you can check with MUL directly!

I guess Wagon R is available with AT option, just confirm.
Old 19th December 2006, 14:35   #210
rks
BANNED

I sat inside the Zen Estilo at the Sai show room in Big Bazar (near Dadar in Mumbai). There is definitely more leg room in the front seat as compared to my Santro (2000 model). But this extra space is seemingly available because the front hood is shorter than in the Santro. Looks almost unsafe to my eyes.

The Vxi model in the show room had 155/65 R 13 tyres (I don't know if an option for tubeless tyres/alloys is offered by Maruti, but I didn't see it in this model). Apparently the Lxi model comes with 145/70 R 13 tyres.

Based on these considerations, I would go for the Santro if there were to be a lot of highway driving involved. The Zen Estilo may score for those primarily interested in city use, at least till the new Santro model is released.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks